Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:32:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130254 times)
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:02:29 PM

I believe the reason that the codes aren't etched into the metal is because common medical imaging equipment could read the code without removing the holo.
I doubt that any available medical imaging equipment is sensitive enough to pick up an etched engraving.  In the first place, x-rays are very low resolution.  CT and MRI don't work with metal objects because of extensive scattering and noise.

When you engrave characters to metal, this changes the metal's shape, making the characters clearly readable with pretty much any sort of reflective radiation.  The tamper proof case may look great but what if tampering is unnecessary because any physician can take it to work and see through the case with medical imaging gear?  An engraved secret in a metal coin is also going to be vulnerable to magnetic imaging techniques.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
htspringer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:20:40 PM

I believe the reason that the codes aren't etched into the metal is because common medical imaging equipment could read the code without removing the holo.
I doubt that any available medical imaging equipment is sensitive enough to pick up an etched engraving.  In the first place, x-rays are very low resolution.  CT and MRI don't work with metal objects because of extensive scattering and noise.

When you engrave characters to metal, this changes the metal's shape, making the characters clearly readable with pretty much any sort of reflective radiation.  The tamper proof case may look great but what if tampering is unnecessary because any physician can take it to work and see through the case with medical imaging gear?  An engraved secret in a metal coin is also going to be vulnerable to magnetic imaging techniques.
Yes, the metal's shape is changed...but the imaging equipment is not nearly sensitive enough to pick up etched characters on a coin... we're talking perhaps two thousandths of an inch in depth.  Medical imaging equipment could determine the difference between a 50 cent piece and a silver dollar, because of size.  It could not differentiate between a Canadian quarter vs a US quarter, let alone etching on a coin's surface... not even close.  Furthermore, MRI and CT cannot accurately image metallic objects because of extensive noise and scattering. 
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:54:49 PM

Yes, the metal's shape is changed...but the imaging equipment is not nearly sensitive enough to pick up etched characters on a coin... we're talking perhaps two thousandths of an inch in depth.  Medical imaging equipment could determine the difference between a 50 cent piece and a silver dollar, because of size.  It could not differentiate between a Canadian quarter vs a US quarter, let alone etching on a coin's surface... not even close.  Furthermore, MRI and CT cannot accurately image metallic objects because of extensive noise and scattering. 

Interesting to know, thanks.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 11:20:32 PM

The real concern isn't whether any particular kind of medical equipment can read the characters, it's whether or not they can be read at all with any equipment an attacker could have access to.

I'm not concerned that any particular kind of coins are attackable, as I assume they all are, somehow.  Rather, I object to anyone's claims that they've achieved perfect physical security.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
htspringer

Activity: 86

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:19:23 AM

The real concern isn't whether any particular kind of medical equipment can read the characters, it's whether or not they can be read at all with any equipment an attacker could have access to.

I'm not concerned that any particular kind of coins are attackable, as I assume they all are, somehow.  Rather, I object to anyone's claims that they've achieved perfect physical security.
Yes, I agree that nothing is bullet-proof.
All I'm saying is that the contention that etched letters on a metallic coin are readable by imaging equipment of any kind is simply not true... at least to my knowledge. 
Even  the most high resolution 3D scanners that pan the surface of an object directly with a laser are incapable of that kind of resolution.
If NASA or some other government entity has such imaging equipment to which you refer, I can guarantee that it would be enormously expensive to get a reading through an intact hologram... Certainly far more expensive than the coin would be worth. 
ColdCoin

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 07:42:27 AM

I am 100% against selling 1 btc coin with seals without actually have the listed btc in them (that's actually committing fraud)

Fraud, really?

if he sells coins with "1 Bitcoin" on them and an intact seal when in fact it doesnt actually have any btc in them, it is fraud. But from my understanding mike is changing the design and removing the numbers, then no it's not fraud.

Not to beat a deadhorse, i just think that will make casascius worthless, like those play coins that get sold for a few bucks.

I'm not certain owhat country's definition of fraud you are basing that assessment on, but here in the USA, I believe there are 5 elements that need to be met to be considered fraud. One of which states, "to be fraudulent, a false statement must be made with intent to deceive the victim. It seems like a simple description smashes the intent to deceive argument.

Whosull

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:00:07 PM

Quite honestly I don't even understand the FINCEN claims. How is Mike a money transmitter if no USD ("real money") is touched?

I don't know what FINCEN's specific claims are, but he is literally a money transmitter. Someone sends him bitcoins ("convertible virtual currency") and he mails bitcoins to someone. I doubt they are concerned about him selling single small denomination coins, but he does sell large denominations (100 BTC bar) and coins in bulk (rolls of 20 or 50 BTC) that are worth multiples of $10,000.
That's just ridiculous, isn't it? Why would anybody who wants to transmit some bitcoins from point A to point B choose such a cumbersome method (buy overpriced physical token and have it snail-mailed somewhere, that's like printing out an email and faxing it to someone who OCRs it) when the virtual bitcoins can be sent to any address via the blockchain for a low transaction cost. Let alone the fact that the bitcoins aren't even on the coins during the shipping process. They're sent to the coins addresses via the blockchain afterwards, specifically to avoid customs trouble.
I think the only difference here is that they have a guy to pin this down on. Otherwise it would mean that any blockchain transaction constitutes money transmitting.

Bitcoins sent through the block chain are traceable, while bitcoins sent through Mike are not. Furthermore, transactions using his coins are as anonymous as cash, so they probably want to know who is buying his coins.

To avoid having to register with each state independently (and the additional due diligence/regulation that a small company often can't support) what would a "KYC Service" or "Provider" do to Mike's situation?

If FinCEN's goal in this scenario is a honest straight forward attempt to enforce Know Your Customer, what if a larger exchange or service provider type organization could take on that responsibility?  Coinbase for example, already registered in all 50 states, providing apparently adequate KYC and due diligence.    If they stepped in as a "KYC Provider" could my transaction, from CB verified account/wallet, sent directly to Cassascius, not be accompanied by an email with my registered shipping address and proof of identity?

Unfortunately this borders on adding a middleman, potential fees for said service ect.  I do think it would allow a number of smaller niche companies to operate by passing most of the KYC responsibility onto someone else.   I wouldn't mind seeing a well made browser wallet offer this.

I doubt a wallet or service like this would be necessary in most situations, but I do see occasions when both buyer and seller would benefit.

icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:43:35 PM

Hey all,

Just a quick question. Has anyone had any of the 1, 0.5 or 0.1 Silver coins graded? If so, what sort of gradings are you getting?
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:46:20 PM

Hey all,

Just a quick question. Has anyone had any of the 1, 0.5 or 0.1 Silver coins graded? If so, what sort of gradings are you getting?

I submitted some this week.  Will let you know in about 3 weeks.  I would imagine ms67+
icey
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:35:51 PM

If you don't mind that'd be great. Might submit mine, but want to see what grades are likley to come back first.

Cheers
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 06:17:20 AM

any ideas what the 0.1 coins are going for? seems to be very little trading going on

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
icey
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 04:20:38 PM

Haven't seen any sell either to be honest. I've only got the one which completes the 1/0.5/0.1 set for me
bazzanii

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:13:16 PM

That's fantastic! I want some of this! Really cool things. Smiley
zipmaster

Activity: 85

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:23:09 AM

Anyone here interested in a classic Casascius piece?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=487407.msg5458234#msg5458234
Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 01:38:49 PM

That's fantastic! I want some of this! Really cool things. Smiley

Check the link in my signature. I am a reseller of Casascius coins and now Lelana Coins!
icey
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:44:34 PM

Wasn't sure where best to put this, but I'm curious has anyone from the EU sent coins for grading? Did it go smooth etc? Looking to get all mine graded and slabbed but not sure if its worth the risk
nicolasgramlich

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:28:15 AM

Casascius gif, Enjoy:

Imo brings the beauty out much better than single images.

kodiak1120

Activity: 220

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:54:24 PM

I searched but cannot find an answer to my question...

What does "Casascius" mean?  Why is it printed on the coin? 
dumbchump

Activity: 496
Merit: 264

In memory of Zepher

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:07:09 PM

I searched but cannot find an answer to my question...

What does "Casascius" mean?  Why is it printed on the coin? 

Here you go...

http://casascius.wordpress.com/about/

Casascius is a name I made up before ever deciding I would use it for a coin project. The root, “CASAS”, is a simple acronym for the phrase “call a spade a spade”, to which I added an ending I thought would make it sound like a personified Shakespearean or Roman sort of name. It is properly pronounced “ka-SAY-shuss”, though I am not bothered by the variations I hear.

kodiak1120

Activity: 220

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:38:12 PM

Thanks. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: