Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:49:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 [5518] 5519 5520 5521 5522 5523 5524 5525 5526 5527 5528 5529 5530 5531 5532 5533 5534 5535 5536 5537 5538 5539 5540 5541 5542 5543 5544 5545 5546 5547 5548 5549 5550 5551 5552 5553 5554 5555 5556 5557 5558 5559 5560 5561 5562 5563 5564 5565 5566 5567 5568 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722506 times)
bigrcanada

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 12:20:02 AM

As an avid guitar collector... I would have to agree.   That is why I bought a G&L Legacy instead made by Leo Fender after he sold fender to cbs.

Blackcoin: Marketcap is still a respectable Nº 20
Blackcoin clones: Cinnicoin, Whitecoin, Bluecoin, Yellowcoin, Orangecoin, PInkcoin, Asiacoin......................all nowhere. They weren't originals.

Thats why Dash must consolidate its monetary properties and not implement 'Chat' features in its official wallets. You don't want to turn a 18th Century teak wardrobe into an Ikea equivalent with gimmickry attached. Nobody's going to invest in a cryptocurrency so they can speak into their wallet  Wink

NxT: Lost a lot of value but still number 11. Where are all the NxT clones like "NEM" that were far more advanced and going to trump it ? - nowhere.

Ergo: Technology s nothing. Originality is everything. In that respect, Dash is very fortunate because it has more than originality, it actually has better monetary properties than bitconi.. (Note: monetary properties, not technology properties. i.e. properties that would have counted 1000 years ago before the advent of cryptocurrencies). Thats what Dash must consolidate and evolve above all else.

Peercoin (Power PC): First serious proof of stake. Still number 9. They've not done anything to it.

Wink...not to be way off topic, its true that some guitars will increase in value, typically, though whats missing in this comparison is which fender model are these.  I'd suspect that the 1975 is a Custom Strat Sunburst made in the USA, and the new one on the left is a regular Fender Strat Sunburst made in Mexico.  Even a true Custom Fender Strat USA will still fetch close $2000.00 today or more.  just saying...hahahaha. 

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:21:16 AM

So I have been away for a while but have spent the last few days catching up with everything. Evolution looks awesome!

Quick question though, what is up with the Poloniex BTC/DASH charts? I mean, compare them with the BTC/XMR charts. I'm not one for conspiracies, and it's not price suppression, just a bot that sells a tiny bit at the end of each 5min interval to ensure the candle turns red? The exact opposite is happening on the XMR chart, even as the price drops, the candles stay green.

That's so petty.

I already noticed this for the Dash, didn't saw that the oposite was happening for xmr..

Interesting..
DrkLvr_

Activity: 724

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:38:25 AM

So I have been away for a while but have spent the last few days catching up with everything. Evolution looks awesome!

Quick question though, what is up with the Poloniex BTC/DASH charts? I mean, compare them with the BTC/XMR charts. I'm not one for conspiracies, and it's not price suppression, just a bot that sells a tiny bit at the end of each 5min interval to ensure the candle turns red? The exact opposite is happening on the XMR chart, even as the price drops, the candles stay green.

That's so petty.

I already noticed this for the Dash, didn't saw that the oposite was happening for xmr..

Interesting..

It's probably a Dashtard running these bots, so you can claim later that it's a grand conspiracy  Cheesy
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:41:13 AM

red bot versus green bot, please place you bet gentlemen :

Green bot looks to be gaining the upper hand after that 0.99 order

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:44:15 AM

An asset which has a high utility value will have low monetary value because it has a tendency to go out of circulation... A collectible item is simply an early stage monetary medium

P.S. I just realised you might see these two theories of mine as contradictory and just wanted to clarify.

The fact that you are a guitar collector means that your guitars are "in circulation" as a monetary medium. By "in circulation" I didn't mean that it's being constantly traded, I meant that it was being held as a collectible rather than being played as a utility instrument.

i.e. for the purposes of this analysis, "going out of circulation" would mean that a member of a monetary medium left that medium and moved to a utility medium. An example of this would be a tiny bit of a gold bar being hacked off a JP Morgan vault for use in a tooth filling.

While it was in J.P. Morgan's vault it is "in circulation" (as a monetary medium), while it's in a tooth it's "out of circulation" (and in a utility medium).
bigrcanada

Activity: 588

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 12:48:41 AM

An asset which has a high utility value will have low monetary value because it has a tendency to go out of circulation... A collectible item is simply an early stage monetary medium

P.S. I just realised you might see these two theories of mine as contradictory and just wanted to clarify.

The fact that you are a guitar collector means that your guitars are "in circulation" as a monetary medium. By "in circulation" I didn't mean that it's being constantly traded, I meant that it was being held as a collectible rather than being played as a utility instrument.

i.e. for the purposes of this analysis, "going out of circulation" would mean that a member of a monetary medium left that medium and moved to a utility medium. An example of this would be a tiny bit of a gold bar being hacked off a JP Morgan vault for use in a tooth filling.

While it was in J.P. Morgan's vault it is "in circulation" (as a monetary medium), while it's in a tooth it's "out of circulation" (and in a utility medium).

ya ya...I was just busting your balls on that.  LOL.  just being a jack ass. Wink   for the record I DO play my guitars and don't trade them out...so in some ways its like me collecting DASH.   Cool

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 12:56:09 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 01:09:02 AM by TaoOfSaatoshi

I should rephrase.  I don't invest in Bitclones as they don't have the fundamentals like Dash.  
  • Bitclones can't do point of sale(no IX)
  • Bitclones are not sustainable(no governance or rewards for full nodes)
  • Bitclones are not fungible(no darksend)
  • Bitclones don't have scalability(no Evolution)
  • Bitclones don't have a 2 tier network and are subject to wild price fluctuations(no masternodes)

I wasn't sure if you regarded bitcoin itself as a "Bitclones", thats all. An original is an original. Nothing will prise it away and unstick its market share - regardless of how inadequate its 'tech' is. Bitcoin is here to stay.

A 1975 Fender Strat is far more valuable than a 2015 equivalent, even though the 2015 one is 'more advanced'. Thats the nature of financial assets. The value is a property of the valuer - not the asset. (Hence 'intrinsic value' is a bogus term).

Dash has value because it is an original in its class: a fully fungible, public blockchain, base asset which can be exchanged almost instantly like a physical asset can.

All Dash has to do is allow those properties to consolidate and age - like a 1975 Fender Strat or fine wine, and not to f*ck about with them otherwise or to mistake 'social networks' for base assets.

I'm not so sure, Tok. I may be coming at this from a different angle, but the more I think about Dash Evolution the more I get excited.

Think about this: A global social financial network, ran through a decentralized API, with advanced cryptography being the backbone under the hood. A perfect marriage of techno geeks and the teenage girl next door. Everyone in the world with a Dash page, most not even knowing what was this global network that makes it all possible.

This thing has the potential to be the Facebook of the financial realm, maybe even bigger because of the dual functionality. People that steer clear of Facebook will join Dash because of the need for financial connectivity, and the decentralized nature offers privacy and security from ID theft. It's potential is limitless.

In fact, presented this way I feel that the Winklevosses may be very interested as it could be a legit way of sticking it to Mark Zuckerberg. Evan is the new Mark, and they're invested in the wrong crypto.

This idea is bigger than huge.

Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:57:40 AM

I wasn't sure if you regarded bitcoin itself as a "Bitclones", thats all. An original is an original. Nothing will prise it away and unstick its market share - regardless of how inadequate its 'tech' is. Bitcoin is here to stay.

A 1975 Fender Strat is far more valuable than a 2015 equivalent, even though the 2015 one is 'more advanced'. Thats the nature of financial assets. The value is a property of the valuer - not the asset. (Hence 'intrinsic value' is a bogus term).
Agree, Bitcoin could be a vintage Strat...

I would compare Dash to a kick-ass pre-CBS 1964 Fender Jazzmaster... but hey, that's just my opinion  Cheesy
Vintage is good when it is a unique item.  Guitar made with certain features, sound, the maker, who played it, etc.

We are talking about Bitclones - Think Beta VCR.  Still want one now?

Bitclones is defined (credit to camosoul) by coins that secure and confirm transactions at the same time.  They will never work for point of sale.  That makes them limited to online purchases or transfers between companies/banks/countries.  (Or for users with a ton of time to wait around for point of sale transactions.)

Dash has 2 (now 3) layers.  With the ability to instantly confirm transactions, but also secure the transactions as miners solve blocks.

See the difference.  Dash, it's the new blue pill.
DrkLvr_

Activity: 724

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:14:10 AM

Masternode blinding is working   Grin

It's super fast, secure and should reduce mixing time by 80%+

https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin/commits/masternode-blinding

Any day now, right guys? 

Dash  Cry
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:24:05 AM

Oho! Trolls wake up Wink

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:25:39 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 01:53:33 AM by toknormal

Bitclones is defined (credit to camosoul) by coins that secure and confirm transactions at the same time.  They will never work for point of sale.

Solarminer - although I agree with most of your well made points, I just wanted point out one stark truth.

No blockchain asset will ever work for point of sale - no matter how fast its confirmation time is.

Ok - it might get used by chiringuitos on the beach or the odd newsagent, but don't be fooled by these bitpay interfaces where you see business accepting bitcoin at POS. Thats just posturing to demonstrate that the asset has some value.

There are two reasons why bitcoin or any raw blockchain cryptocurrency (as opposed to crypto denominated currency) will never be used at point of sale en-masse:

[1] - Economics
Cryptocurrency is a risk-asset

That's both a good thing and a bad thing. It's a good thing because risk assets can form the basis for a monetary medium - like grain, precious metals, coal, oil, flour, whatever. They are capital assets which can 'back' other assets.

It's a bad thing because they are no use as a currency for modern retail since they are fixed supply which means that the only way they have of responding to liquidity demand (economic expansion or contraction) is through price inflation or deflation. Modern economies have gone way past trading risk assets for goods and have instead decoupled them from the currencies that they back so that the price represents the value of the good rather than the value of the currency being used to facilitate the trade.

The only problem is that they've taken this too far and are now using debt (hypothetical future economic activity) to back currencies as a majority capital base instead of a minority one.

[2] - Technology
Transferring numbers is far faster than doing transactions on a blockchain. Thats why supermarket transactions will always be buffered - regardless of what currency is used. The buffering insulates the retailer from all kinds of sh*t that can go wrong and gives them space to fix stuff before they actually commit their transactions which they may do at hourly intervals.

The example I like to use is where the cashier rings through your cornflakes on the person in front of you's credit card cos somebody put the belt separator in the wrong place. This is easily remedied by functionality in the point of sale system which incorporates all sing, all dance, reverse, push to stack, pull from stack, hold this order while the customer goes and gets the cabbage they forgot to get weighed, functionality that you could never do on the blockchain.

So forget about point of sale. It's not an issue for any crypto because thats not its job. It's job is to acquire value and to back currencies which may ultimately be used in point of sale scenarios.

However, one of the properties of money that does affect its value is mobility. This is where Dash's instant confirmation is significant because it consolidates its identity as a cash medium as opposed to a credit one. (When I use the word "cash" I'm thinking of coal, grain, oil, notes, metals - things which are immediate and tangible).

All modern assets can be traced back to cash media: tangible, instantly transferable, limited supply, unobscured, publicly accountable resources. What bitcoin did was simply to mirror those properties on an electronic platform and what Dash did was to add a simulated cash drawer (the clearing points for payments where notes get 'mixed') which was what bitcoin was missing.

Think of a cash economy in your local street. Is has "choke points" (to use Greg Maxwell's term). When you go to your newsagent to buy a newspaper, your notes and coins go in a cash drawer along with all other "inputs" for the day. They then get mixed again on an even grander scale at 6 O'Clock in the evening when the retailer deposits their takings at the bank. Moreover the cash is denominated - 1 Pence coins in 1 Pence bags, 10 Pence coins in 10 Pence bags, etc. Thats another layer of mixing. Then the coins and notes get dispersed back into the economy with not a snowballs hope in hell of tracing anything without marked notes.

That is a true cash system - open, public, visible but anonymous. Those "choke points" (the cash drawer and the bank) perform a mass anonymisation action periodically on the money supply and remove all traceability through mixing. This is how money has worked through the ages.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:14:31 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 10:50:16 AM by toknormal

I'm not so sure, Tok. I may be coming at this from a different angle, but the more I think about Dash Evolution the more I get excited.

Think about this: A global social financial network, ran through a decentralized API, with advanced cryptography being the backbone under the hood. A perfect marriage of techno geeks and the teenage girl next door. Everyone in the world with a Dash page, most not even knowing what was this global network that makes it all possible.

Tao -  I identify with your enthusiasm, make no mistake. But 'the force' must be respected. In that regard there are two types of value:

[1] - utility value
[2] - monetary value

What do you notice about these ?

What I notice is that they are mutually exclusive. One does not enhance the other, it impedes it. The most perfect monetary token is one that does not go out of circulation and the most perfect utility item is one that stays in use and does not get used as a store of value.

In bitcoin troll wars, many people make the point that gold has a use in hi-fi connectors and tooth fillings and that this 'adds' to its value. But this is wrong. Monetary premium is maximised when utility premium is minimised because the latter's effect is to force the token out of circulation (or more specifically, out of its role as a store of value and into another role as a utility). There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to back this up, not least the fact that most of the world's gold supply is not residing in people's teeth but in JP Morgan's + Bank of China's vaults where its monetary premium (monetary value over cost of mining) far exceeds its utility premium (utility value over cost of mining).

Look around you. There are thousands of things that have acquired utility value. There are very few which have acquired monetary value. Monetary properties are a very rare thing and fine balance of 6 or 7 different qualities which are almost never found together. If you really think you happen to have stumbled on such a rare occurrence, you do not want to be blurring the boundary between monetary and utility roles.

For all Dash's great ideas, one of the things that fell into its lap was being in the right place at the right time. That more than anything is where its value comes from and will remain. January 2014 will never return and if Dash had been invented today it would have a mountain to climb regardless of what tech was involved. It now has a gold mine to work with - all I'm saying is use it for what it is, not what it isn't.

This thing has the potential to be the Facebook of the financial realm

No it doesn't. It has the potential to acquire rare monetary properties that are only found in a couple of elements in the physical realm. One of the characteristics of good money is that it doesn't align itself with any particular sector.

What Dash needs to do (IMO) is consolidate those properties and meanwhile develop technologies that make itself accessible to markets that already have a presence in social media, retail, capital investment, and so on.

Nobody is going to invest in a capital asset because they can talk into their wallet.
Solarminer

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:37:24 AM

This is like an economics 980 class.  Moderators this is as on topic as a Dash/Bitcoin discussion can get.  Please keep.
Bitclones is defined (credit to camosoul) by coins that secure and confirm transactions at the same time.  They will never work for point of sale.
No blockchain asset will ever work for point of sale - no matter how fast its confirmation time is.
No bitclone can do this, there is too much time to wait for confirmations.  Skipping a confirmation adds risk, which isn't tolerable. 

Now adding a 2nd tier that locks transactions, with a 1st tier that secures them enables this to happen.  It is the speed that matters, it is the trustless security and transfer of wealth that matters.

Ok - it might get used by chiringuitos on the beach or the odd newsagent, but don't be fooled by these bitpay interfaces where you see business accepting bitcoin at POS. Thats just posturing to demonstrate that the asset has some value.
Coinbase or Bitpay can't do POS transactions.  They won't risk not waiting for a block confirmation and POS can't wait 10-30 minutes.  The only option they can offer is a debit card based on bitcoin.  And then where are we.  Users Bank - coinbase - crypto - bank - debit - merchant - with what like 6% in fees?
There are two reasons why bitcoin or any cryptocurrency will never be used at point of sale en-masse:

[1] - Economics
Cryptocurrency is a risk-asset

That's both a good thing and a bad thing. It's a good thing because risk assets can form the basis for a monetary medium - like grain, precious metals, coal, oil, flour, whatever. They are capital assets which can 'back' other assets.

It's a bad thing because they are no use as a currency for modern retail since they are fixed supply which means that the only way they have of responding to liquidity demand (economic expansion or contraction) is through price inflation or deflation. Modern economies have gone way past trading risk assets for goods and have instead decoupled them from the currencies that they back so that the price represents the value of the good rather than the value of the currency being used to facilitate the trade.

The only problem is that they've taken this too far and are now using debt (hypothetical future economic activity) to back currencies as a majority capital base instead of a minority one.
Risk Asset?  There have been very few things that have kept their value through time.  Precious metals and land are a few.  Banks call these risk assets because they don't understand tangible assets outside of the fiat system.

The argument about fixed supply of money is interesting.  And I honestly don't know how this would work with what we have now.  There is so much debt, that it just isn't possible to do what we are doing now without some major changes.  My opinion is that faith will be lost in fiat currencies because of all the debt and nobody will want to hold on to fiat anymore.

The system we have now is flawed.  Banks create the money, they push it into the economy with low interest loans, or pull it with high interest loans.  They seize assets when customers can't pay, and make money on loans they don't actually risk much if any collateral.  The idea that flexible money supply is good is flawed.  Sure there have been a few scenarios where money was created to build infrastructure that benefited future generations.  But mostly this is wasted on wars or funneled through a bloated financial/political system.  After the dollars are created, the dollars you hold onto are worth less.  If we didn't have a fiat system siphoning money away all the technological advances over the last 100 years would have put everyone in the top 10% economic bracket.  Don't quote me on the 10%, but it would be a big improvement.

[2] - Technology
Transferring numbers is far faster than doing transactions on a blockchain. Thats why supermarket transactions will always be buffered - regardless of what currency is used. The buffering insulates the retailer from all kinds of sh*t that can go wrong and gives them space to fix stuff before they actually commit their transactions which they may do at hourly intervals.

The example I like to use is where the cashier rings through your cornflakes on the person in front of you's credit card cos somebody put the belt separator in the wrong place. This is easily remedied by functionality in the point of sale system which incorporates all sing, all dance, reverse, push to stack, pull from stack, hold this order while the customer goes and gets the cabbage they forgot to get weighed, functionality that you could never do on the blockchain.

So forget about point of sale. It's not an issue for any crypto because thats not its job. It's job is to acquire value and to back currencies which may ultimately be used in point of sale scenarios.
I disagree with you on this.  If a grocery store is running credit cards and pays per transaction.  It makes a ton of sense to put all these transactions together.  But if they pay with cash, it doesn't make any difference.  Dash is like Cash.  Instant, secure, private.  The grocery store will ring up the sale and done.  If there is an order change, make the change and cash/Dash goes either way.

Point of sale IS the big one.  Any merchant can accept dash with almost no infrastructure investment (no registers, no credit card machine, no trips to the bank with cash).  The value in Dash is that it can't be printed out of thin air, created by banks with loan, it is transferable instantly.  This is huge.  You will see Dash & Gas and Dash & Dine....ok probably not Dine & Dash.  Dash & Drink.  It will work and be a fundamental change.
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:38:32 AM

I am noticing some darkcoin stuff on paperwallets.

http://paper.dashpay.io/
Logo on top of site is darkcoin.
On the paper wallet tab all the backgrounds are darkcoin.

Not to be confused with:
https://dashwallets.com/
At least they are leather wallets not impersonators.

If we can get the logos and backgrounds for the paper wallets updated, we have a fun way to use them in Miami.

I think it is as simple as updating the png pictures to(but you need a lot more 'artistacism' in you than me):
https://github.com/internetape/paperwallet

Thanks for the heads up, wanted to move the paper wallet to https://paper.dash.org anyway, and i think it's a good opportunity to update the look&feel to Dash as well.

Holger

I updated Paper Wallet images and send to flare
shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:42:30 AM

DASH looks to be in the process of bottoming and consolidating for the next uptrend. If I have some spare BTC, I would buy DASH and keep for the next 6 months. It is very likely that DASH and LTC will be parity by then.

█           
           ██           
          ██████         
         ████████         
        ██████████       
       ████████████       
      ██████████████     
     ████████████████     
    ██████████████████   
   ████████████████████   
  ██████████▀▀██████████ 
 ███▀▄████▀    ▀████▄▀███
██▀ ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄ ▀██

░▄███████████▄░░░▄███████████▄░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░▄██████████▄░░░████████████████░░░░██████████░░░░███████████████░░█████████████████
█████░░░░░░░███░████▀░░░░░▀████░█████▄░░░░▄█████░███▀░░░░░░▀███░███░░░░████░░░███░░███░░░░░░░░██░░███░░░░░░░░░░░███░███████░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████░▀█████▄░░▄█████▀░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░████░░███░░░███░░░██░░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░████░░▀█████░░█████▀░░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░███░░░███░░░███░░████░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░█████░░░▀████▄▄████▀░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███░███░░░░███░░███░░░░██░░░████░░███░███░░░░░░░░░░███▀░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░▀████████▀░░░░████████████▀░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░████░░░██░███░░░█████████░░░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████▄░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░███░░░███░░██░░░░░░░░░░░██░███░░░░░░░░░░███▄░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░███░██░░░░████░░░░█░███░░░█████▄░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
███████████████░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░░██░██░░░██████░░░█░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
░▀███████████▀░░░███░░░░░░░████░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░████████████████░███████████████░░███████████████░░░░░░█████████░░░░
|
▂▃▅ Quick buy and sell bitcoins online. Fast and secure ▅▃▂
Facebook】【Twitter】【Telegram】【Medium】【Instagram
|
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:49:26 AM

It makes a ton of sense to put all these transactions together....Point of sale IS the big one.  Any merchant can accept dash with almost no infrastructure investment (no registers, no credit card machine, no trips to the bank with cash).  The value in Dash is that it can't be printed out of thin air, created by banks with loan, it is transferable instantly.  This is huge.  You will see Dash & Gas and Dash & Dine....ok probably not Dine & Dash.  Dash & Drink.  It will work and be a fundamental change.

Ok, you might be right in a 'post crash' scenario where monetary integrity trumps convenience and currency stability and you make your own value priorities clear which I can't argue with (since I believe in markets !! LoL ).

All I'm saying is that supermarkets have their own values too. If they decide to use whatever POS system that buffers transactions for whatever reason then no arguing with them about monetary integrity is going to make a difference. They will win.

That doesn't mean that cryptocurrencies won't establish themselves as a capital asset (which is my expectation). They'll be held by banks and investment funds just like any other asset such as oil, Gold ETF's etc. I just don't think that we'll see cabbage prices denominated in bitcoin, dash any more than we'll see them denominated in gold.
Solarminer

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:51:44 AM

DASH looks to be in the process of bottoming and consolidating for the next uptrend. If I have some spare BTC, I would buy DASH and keep for the next 6 months. It is very likely that DASH and LTC will be parity by then.
I will bet Dash will pass Bitclone #2 in 6 months.  We have a few shows coming.....They will be Huge!  (said in a Trump fashion)
stan.distortion

Activity: 317
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:05:02 AM

Tao -  I identify with your enthusiasm, make no mistake. But 'the force' must be respected. In that regard there are two types of value:

[1] - utility value
[2] - monetary value

What do you notice about these ?

What I notice is that they are mutually exclusive. One does not enhance the other, it impedes it. The most perfect monetary token is one that does not go out of circulation and the most perfect utility item is one that stays in use and does not get used as a store of value.

In bitcoin troll wars, many people make the point that gold has a use in hi-fi connectors and tooth fillings and that this 'adds' to its value. But this is wrong. Monetary premium is maximised when utility premium is minimised because the latter's effect is to force the token out of circulation (or more specifically, out of its role as a store of value and into another role as a utility). There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to back this up, not least the fact that most of the world's gold supply is not residing in people's teeth but in JP Morgan's + Bank of China's vaults where its monetary premium (monetary value over cost of mining) far exceeds its utility premium (utility value over cost of mining).

Look around you. There are thousands of things that have acquired utility value. There are very few which have acquired monetary value. Monetary properties are a very rare thing and fine balance of 6 or 7 different qualities which are almost never found together. If you really think you happen to have stumbled on such a rare occurrence, you do not want to be doing b.s. like chat systems.

For all Dash's great ideas, one of the things that fell into its lap was being in the right place at the right time. That more than anything is where its value comes from and will remain. January 2014 will never return and if Dash had been invented today it would have a mountain to climb regardless of what tech was involved. It now has a gold mine to work with - all I'm saying is use it for what it is, not what it isn't.

This thing has the potential to be the Facebook of the financial realm

No it doesn't. It has the potential to acquire rare monetary properties that are only found in a couple of elements in the physical realm. One of the characteristics of good money is that it doesn't align itself with any particular sector.

What Dash needs to do (IMO) is consolidate those properties and meanwhile develop technologies that make itself accessible to markets that already have a presence in social media, retail, capital investment, and so on.

Nobody is going to invest in a capital asset because they can talk into their wallet.

One of those points is a fallacy, the concept of "store of value" only exists as a means of travelling from one market to another in the same way as a stamp, envelope and the postal network behind them are a means of transporting a message from a sender to a recipient. The telegraph, the fax/telephone and email progressively replaced the stamp and envelope for the vast majority of messages and crypto will ultimately do the same for value, at the moment we're at the telegraph stage but ultimately "store of value" will become a niche reserved for special cases where there isn't a more efficient method.

Curious about the trolls methods? http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5
Manipulation of public discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:14:38 AM

One of those points is a fallacy, the concept of "store of value" only exists as a means of travelling from one market to another in the same way as a stamp, envelope and the postal network behind them are a means of transporting a message from a sender to a recipient. The telegraph, the fax/telephone and email progressively replaced the stamp and envelope for the vast majority of messages and crypto will ultimately do the same for value, at the moment we're at the telegraph stage but ultimately "store of value" will become a niche reserved for special cases where there isn't a more efficient method.

Interesting point re. 'travelling between markets'. I hadn't thought of it in that way but it is quite a good way of defining 'store of value'.

I think the reason I brought up the philosophical angle was because Dash is flirting with market development rather than monetary development and I thought that might be dangerous since it's playing to its weaknesses rather than its strengths.

Solarminer

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:24:19 AM

It makes a ton of sense to put all these transactions together....Point of sale IS the big one.  Any merchant can accept dash with almost no infrastructure investment (no registers, no credit card machine, no trips to the bank with cash).  The value in Dash is that it can't be printed out of thin air, created by banks with loan, it is transferable instantly.  This is huge.  You will see Dash & Gas and Dash & Dine....ok probably not Dine & Dash.  Dash & Drink.  It will work and be a fundamental change.

Ok, you might be right in a 'post crash' scenario where monetary integrity trumps convenience and currency stability and you make your own value priorities clear which I can't argue with (since I believe in markets !! LoL ).

All I'm saying is that supermarkets have their own values too. If they decide to use whatever POS system that buffers transactions for whatever reason then no arguing with them about monetary integrity is going to make a difference. They will win.

That doesn't mean that cryptocurrencies won't establish themselves as a capital asset (which is my expectation). They'll be held by banks and investment funds just like any other asset such as oil, Gold ETF's etc. I just don't think that we'll see cabbage prices denominated in bitcoin, dash any more than we'll see them denominated in gold.

Sorry if I was so obvious about my options...LOL.

If a supermarket transaction is paid in cash, would they buffer the transaction?  How could they?  Customer pays when done.  No other changes can be processed.  It would be the same with Dash. 

Adopting Dash could also be a natural progression to lower overhead and use less floor space.  There are a lot of benefits with accepting Dash; no chargebacks, no fees, or extra space for the machines...or even the register line if you scan with your phone.  This is where I am spending some time figuring this all out.

Keep in mind, bitcoin is about at the point where it can't accept more transactions.  It can't add users or do more transactions.  The transaction cost will increase to limit transaction volume(1MB blocks).  At that point it can't be used for transactions and it will get REPLACED by Dash.  Then it loses value.  $1,666,000s in bitcoin are getting created each day.  If $1,666,000 of it stops getting purchased, it loses it's value.  The network effect that Andreas and everyone talks about stops when the currency hits a transaction/user limit.  Be careful, with forecasting bitcoin.....I know I don't understand how the market plays with bitcoin, so I stay out of it.  I certainly don't want to invest in cassette tapes when microSD cards are the only thing people want.
Pages: « 1 ... 5468 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 [5518] 5519 5520 5521 5522 5523 5524 5525 5526 5527 5528 5529 5530 5531 5532 5533 5534 5535 5536 5537 5538 5539 5540 5541 5542 5543 5544 5545 5546 5547 5548 5549 5550 5551 5552 5553 5554 5555 5556 5557 5558 5559 5560 5561 5562 5563 5564 5565 5566 5567 5568 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: