Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:44:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 [5468] 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722510 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 09:45:09 PM

We could have a cryptonerd penis measuring contest all day long with this commit versus that commit. I don't see investors taking that route.

Perhaps you are right but as long as there are people such as Raptor_73 who apparently do think those metrics are important, my bolded questions should probably be answered instead of dismissed.

How many of Dash commits are actually specific to the Dash project?

How many (and percentage) code modules are new or significantly modified?

How many (and percentage) lines of new or significantly modified code?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:15:02 PM

We could have a cryptonerd penis measuring contest all day long with this commit versus that commit. I don't see investors taking that route.

Perhaps you are right but as long as there are people such as Raptor_73 who apparently do think those metrics are important, my bolded questions should probably be answered instead of dismissed.

I'm not sure what he thinks, but the numbers look quite impressive so I guess that's why he posted them. Make of them what you will.

Instead of posting your 'bolded questions' rhetorically, why don't you research and post the winning answers, should you find them.

Sure, I'll start.

Thus I estimate that Dash has 218 commits that aren't in Bitcoin. The number may be off slightly due to the repos likely being a bit out of sync with each other.

Not bad, but well under even the paltry 1200 or so attributed to another project that is alleged to be a clone with "no development" so maybe not that impressive either. I'm not sure, what do you think?

Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:47:23 PM

I'm not sure what he thinks, but the numbers look quite impressive so I guess that's why he posted them. Make of them what you will.

Instead of posting your 'bolded questions' rhetorically, why don't you research and post the winning answers, should you find them.

Sure, I'll start.

Thus I estimate that Dash has 218 commits that aren't in Bitcoin. The number may be off slightly due to the repos likely being a bit out of sync with each other.

Not bad, but well under even the paltry 1200 or so attributed to another project that is alleged to be a clone with "no development" so maybe not that impressive either. I'm not sure, what do you think?

I am sure numbers could be checked but I think you are just comparing apples and oranges. In Monero there has been a lot of clean up of the Cryptonote code base done where a few lines of code are changed and then a commit is submitted and certainly other more substantial commits but the small ones sure add up.  Dash works differently as new features are added from scratch the amount of code in a commit can be bigger.  I am not saying one thing is better than the other, just that the comparison does not apply. If you wanted to compare two different projects like this, you should do it in terms of lines of code added, but again there is no point in that as Dash and Monero are unrelated.

We tend to measure in terms of new functionality added like, Instant Transactions, Voting, Blockchain Funding, Incentivized Full Nodes, Coin Mixing,etc and how those align to our long term goal of making crypto more usable to people.  Definitely choosing a younger codebase like Cryptonote has its drawbacks like having to spend a lot of time cleaning up and completing the  codebase without producing added value for end users specially when compared to the Bitcoin codebase, things like multisig come to mind.

I think everyone that is contributing to the industry should do it in their own way and all avenues are valid, we will see in a few years how things evolve. Comparisons between things that are unrelated to each other are not conducive to progress. Sorry if it sometimes comes from our side too.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:00:11 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2015, 11:15:54 PM by smooth

I am sure numbers could be checked but I think you are just comparing apples and oranges. In Monero there has been a lot of clean up of the Cryptonote code base done where a few lines of code are changed and then a commit is submitted and certainly other more substantial commits but the small ones sure add up.  Dash works differently as new features are added from scratch the amount of code in a commit can be bigger.

It's not apples and organes necessarily. Monero has had some massive commits and new features where work has been done from scratch then added in one commit, including deterministic wallets, the embedded database, encrypted payment IDs, replacement of the RPC subsystem with 0MQ IPC, etc. Those are in addition to improvements and clean up to preexisting code (including preexisting code that was itself previously added by Monero)

I don't really know the best way to measure these things -- I guess different measurements are useful for different purposes -- but when someone posts a comparison of number of commits in Dash compared to another project, then it is important to consider how many of the claimed number of commits actually represent the work of the Dash project and not just the commits that are common to 1000 Bitcoin forks. That number alone may not be the best indication of progress, but at least it is an indication of work being done by Dash.

If you wanted to compare two different projects like this, you should do it in terms of lines of code added

Indeed, I suggested also looking that metric. And I wasn't even necessarily comparing myself (though I was replying to a comparison) as much as asking about metrics of the actual Dash project work. These sorts of metrics have been published for Monero (for example in our 2014 year-in-review, though that is now quite out of date of course), but I haven't seen them for Dash. Historical metrics would be interesting as well, for example the number of lines of code associated with each of the identified features you mentioned above.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:03:20 PM

Sure, I'll start.

I am sure numbers could be checked but I think you are just comparing apples and oranges. In Monero there has been a lot of clean up of the Cryptonote code base done where a few lines of code are changed and then a commit is submitted and certainly other more substantial commits but the small ones sure add up.  Dash works differently as new features are added from scratch the amount of code in a commit can be bigger.  I am not saying one thing is better than the other, just that the comparison does not apply. If you wanted to compare two different projects like this, you should do it in terms of lines of code added, but again there is no point in that as Dash and Monero are unrelated.

We tend to measure in terms of new functionality added like, Instant Transactions, Voting, Blockchain Funding, Incentivized Full Nodes, Coin Mixing,etc and how those align to our long term goal of making crypto more usable to people.  Definitely choosing a younger codebase like Cryptonote has its drawbacks like having to spend a lot of time cleaning up and completing the  codebase without producing added value for end users specially when compared to the Bitcoin codebase, things like multisig come to mind.

I think everyone that is contributing to the industry should do it in their own way and all avenues are valid, we will see in a few years how things evolve. Comparisons between things that are unrelated to each other are not conducive to progress. Sorry if it sometimes comes from our side too.

Even this isn't a great means of comparing since one can space out code in longer lines vs consolidating. I doubt there is a great method of comparing...
UdjinM6
Legendary

Activity: 1318
Merit: 1040

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 11:04:04 PM

Sure, I'll start.

This comparison is pretty much meaningless imo but in case you want to continue it's better to compare similar branches. For Dash corresponding Bitcoin branch is 0.10, not master.

So difference is somewhere around 2100 commits currently

DASH: XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:10:27 PM

This comparison is pretty much meaningless imo but in case you want to continue it's better to compare similar branches. For Dash corresponding Bitcoin branch is 0.10, not master.

Thank you for the correction. That seems an impressive number, and indeed somewhat an indication of a lot of development work being done that is independent of Bitcoin. If you look back in the actual commits there were indeed many commits for clean ups, tweaks, etc., especially during the summer (around the time of the version 12 release), so the 2000 number seems to pass a quick reality check.

Are you no longer merging new Bitcoin commits, or is it planned to freeze for a while and then catch up at some point?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:14:27 PM

Thank you for the correction. That seems an impressive number, and indeed somewhat an indication of a lot of development work being done that is independent of Bitcoin. If you look back in the actual commits there were indeed many commits for clean ups, tweaks, etc., especially during the summer (around the time of the version 12 release), so the 2000 number seems to pass a quick reality check.

Are you no longer merging new Bitcoin commits, or is it planned to freeze for a while and then catch up at some point?

In case the corresponding Bitcoin branch is 0.10, this probably gives the best and most fair comparison:

Also: "Showing  300 changed files  with 5,718 additions and 3,542 deletions."

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:21:37 PM

I am sure numbers could be checked but I think you are just comparing apples and oranges. In Monero there has been a lot of clean up of the Cryptonote code base done where a few lines of code are changed and then a commit is submitted and certainly other more substantial commits but the small ones sure add up.  Dash works differently as new features are added from scratch the amount of code in a commit can be bigger.  I am not saying one thing is better than the other, just that the comparison does not apply. If you wanted to compare two different projects like this, you should do it in terms of lines of code added, but again there is no point in that as Dash and Monero are unrelated.

We tend to measure in terms of new functionality added like, Instant Transactions, Voting, Blockchain Funding, Incentivized Full Nodes, Coin Mixing,etc and how those align to our long term goal of making crypto more usable to people.  Definitely choosing a younger codebase like Cryptonote has its drawbacks like having to spend a lot of time cleaning up and completing the  codebase without producing added value for end users specially when compared to the Bitcoin codebase, things like multisig come to mind.

Great level headed response, as usual.  Thanks Minotaur! and UdjinM6 and dEBRUYNE

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
DrkLvr_

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:59:22 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2015, 12:12:07 AM by DrkLvr_

Yes, and as you well know DASH is far from a 'pointless clone' and has undergone significant development.

We could have a cryptonerd penis measuring contest all day long with this commit versus that commit. I don't see investors taking that route. It's probably lower down the list of fundamentals than a solid foundation (bitcoin), features/roadmap (evolution) and delivery....standby for that.

Meanwhile we can keep an eye on the market cap  Wink

OK Evan.

DASH is a shit clone with an added fraud instamine and other badly implemented features because your dev team barely understands what they're doing. Essentially you're spaghetti coding your way to whatever "cool features" are in fashion this month.

Keep looking at market cap.. an especially useless metric in a coin whose Dev team instamined 30% of the current supply and locked the coins into a HYIP masternode POS scheme.

Fraud + Masternode = MASTER FRAUD. Congratulations

Dash Sad
MasterMined710
Legendary

Activity: 1182

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:20:09 AM

It should be becoming painfully obvious that "Operation Noise" has been a utter and complete failure. Please, to all FUDders and BS regurgitators, stop this nonsense before you completely destroy your investment.

Cool that the Latin American Bitcoin Conference is almost apon us. Should be an interesting day!
well they have been successful in keeping this thread bumped for us  Grin
they need to put a DASH add in their sig so i can tip them... never mind, i have almost all of them on ignore.

DASH = Digital Cash         FAQ          DASHTALK        DashNews
AizenSou

Activity: 938

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:29:56 AM

Monero's devs are releasing a genious plan: The more posts in Dash's topic  we make - the more Monero will look like as a competitor to Dash.  It's very innovative approach... Grin
Grin yep

Make me wondering myself too. Why does Monero main dev spend too much time trolling on another coin's thread ? Does he have nothing to do at all ? I mean his job should be 'coding', isn't it ?
UdjinM6
Legendary

Activity: 1318
Merit: 1040

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 01:31:41 AM

Yep, the idea was to freeze v12.0 in some stable state (which we hopefully achieved) and release new fixes and improvements (as well as merge latest commits from Bitcoin 0.10) in v12.1 somewhere before v13. v12.1 still require more work to be done (still having issues with locks sometimes) and community testing before launch for sure (few important things changed there including tx creation and budgeting rpc) so not going to happen very soon imo. Moreover we are mostly concentrated on developing ideas and implementation of v13 now.

DASH: XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:36:58 AM

Make me wondering myself too. Why does Monero main dev spend too much time trolling on another coin's thread ? Does he have nothing to do at all ? I mean his job should be 'coding', isn't it ?

I don't think he is 'the main dev'.

Monero doesn't have a 'main dev'. It has a...
AizenSou

Activity: 938

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:38:45 AM

I don't think he is 'the main dev'.

Monero doesn't have a 'main dev'. It has a nnnnnndofe.....

Ok so I mistaken. He's the main troll then. Thanks for clarifying, tok Wink
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:42:08 AM

hopefully we can see the show live on internet...  Wink

Disclosure of Dash Evolution is imminent !!

about the dash evolution obviously

Speaking of showing live video from the 2015 Latin American Bitcoin Conference; Any chance we can get a livestream of the DASH presentation?  The Samsung Note 5 and Edge have the ability to a do livestream within the camera/video settings.  It probably isn't too hard to do on other smartphones either.  

Video about setting up livestream on Note 5/edge for those interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAZ6d5hs3Xg

I think I must disappoint you... I can't find a DASH presentation in the schedule: http://www.labitconf.com/#schedule
The only thing I can find is a panel discussion (16:00-16:45) on dec 5:
Tools and ideas for developers
Evan Duffield (DASH), Sebastián Wain (CoinFabrik), Ira Miller (Degginer), Alexandre Linhares (Combinatorial Mathematician)
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:43:51 AM

Daily Altcoin Analysis: Litecoin, Dash, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Peercoin

http://cointelegraph.com/news/115762/daily-altcoin-analysis-litecoin-dash-dogecoin-etherium-peercoin

Bridgewater

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 02:00:51 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2015, 02:25:16 AM by Bridgewater

how many rats did i got in my trap  Roll Eyes hehehe

It's rare to see such an open admission of trolling like that.

You need to do a better job of perpetuating your illusion of "protecting" us unwitting investors.  You're not allowed to have fun, because you need to keep up that "oh-so-concerned" facade. This is serious stuff, you know... after all, it's MY money (DASH) you're talking about, not yours.  

Seriously though, what you don't seem to realize is that rich guys will never listen to poor guys because a logical person only ever listens to someone whom he wants to emulate.   So unless an investor wants to become poor, he will completely ignore trolls and follow either his own instincts or the example of those who are more successful than him.

So far, you've demonstrated only ineptitude in the field of investment, based on your admitted holdings of the defunct DSH bytecoin-clone.  It is comical that you expect any investor here to listen to you; you come across as one of those bearded homeless guys on Wall Street holding up a sign of "the end is near!" as successful businessmen pass by.   Some advice: Figure out who your target audience is, then work on your image if you expect to even have a slight chance of convincing anyone.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 02:02:17 AM

I can't find a DASH presentation in the schedule: http://www.labitconf.com/#schedule
The only thing I can find is a panel discussion (16:00-16:45) on dec 5:
Tools and ideas for developers
Evan Duffield (DASH), Sebastián Wain (CoinFabrik), Ira Miller (Degginer), Alexandre Linhares (Combinatorial Mathematician)

lol rekt

Duffield should be on a scam-panel with fellow snakeoil salesmen Dan Metcalf (XC, Blocknet), Josh Garza (Paycoin), and Dan Kaufman (NeuCoin).

I can't wait to see the crowd start chanting "InstaMine! InstaMine! InstaMine!" when the EvoluSham vaporware nonsense starts.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 02:15:09 AM

bla bla blaaaa ....
man is this lame
i can not believe you guys are still bickering around each other
 Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 [5468] 5469 5470 5471 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: