Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:36:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6155 6156 6157 6158 6159 6160 6161 6162 6163 6164 6165 6166 6167 6168 6169 6170 6171 6172 6173 6174 6175 6176 6177 6178 6179 6180 6181 6182 6183 6184 6185 6186 6187 6188 6189 6190 6191 6192 6193 6194 6195 6196 6197 6198 6199 6200 6201 6202 6203 6204 [6205] 6206 6207 6208 6209 6210 6211 6212 6213 6214 6215 6216 6217 6218 6219 6220 6221 6222 6223 6224 6225 6226 6227 6228 6229 6230 6231 6232 6233 6234 6235 6236 6237 6238 6239 6240 6241 6242 6243 6244 6245 6246 6247 6248 6249 6250 6251 6252 6253 6254 6255 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722508 times)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:43:33 PM

I have a modest Dash holding from when Dash was a lot cheaper than it is now with the current price spike. I hold other coins too. What I'd like to ask is this -

Is Dash immune from blockchain bloat and, if it isn't, whether this will be an issue at some point in the future?

Dash has been founded in 2014, is three years old and currently has 2.6 GB blockchain size
Blockchain bloat is not and will not be a problem for Dash.

The Masternode network will continue to carry the full blockchain and getting rewarded for it, while the Dash Evolution update (end 2017) will enable Lightweight wallets / SPV wallets for endusers / merchants.

I recall from way back in the Darkcoin days, there was mentioning of blockchain pruning as a way to reduce the size of the blockchain, keeping a number of hashes representing a certain number of blocks and mainly for light clients. I do not know if this is still feasible or not, the masternodes already provide a very strong and reliable 2nd tier backbone to the Dash network. Would this still be necessary or is it not a requirement anymore? The light client can probably query the masternodes for whatever transactions are being asked for.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:50:00 PM

I have a modest Dash holding from when Dash was a lot cheaper than it is now with the current price spike. I hold other coins too. What I'd like to ask is this -

Is Dash immune from blockchain bloat and, if it isn't, whether this will be an issue at some point in the future?

Dash has been founded in 2014, is three years old and currently has 2.6 GB blockchain size

The Masternode network will continue to carry the full blockchain and getting rewarded for it, while the Dash Evolution update (end 2017) will enable Lightweight wallets / SPV wallets for endusers / merchants.

I recall from way back in the Darkcoin days, there was mentioning of blockchain pruning as a way to reduce the size of the blockchain, keeping a number of hashes representing a certain number of blocks and mainly for light clients. I do not know if this is still feasible or not, the masternodes already provide a very strong and reliable 2nd tier backbone to the Dash network. Would this still be necessary or is it not a requirement anymore? The light client can probably query the masternodes for whatever transactions are being asked for.

I think there is even a prune option in current Dash wallet where we inherited code from Bitcoin

Edit : i have not found it yet on our Wiki : https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Command-line+arguments+12.0
(these are the commandline arguments for v12.0)

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:54:21 PM

The issue with Bitcoin isn't bloat, per se. The problem is that Bitcoin doesn't incentivize people to run full nodes, meaning that once the blockchain grows to a certain size, it becomes more difficult and/or expensive to run a full node. It also becomes more time consuming to start a full node, due to the very long syncing process. Dash mitigates that with the masternode network. Masternodes are full nodes with a full copy of the blockchain. Since they are incentivized from the block reward, there is no problem getting people to run them.

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
AforAmethyst

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:10:23 PM

Here's my concern and you have highlighted it very well in your second paragraph. Dash will do doubt be used more as the number of payment providers increases. Mass adoption, if it happens, is bound to affect capacity available in each block. How can you say so definitely that blockchain bloat won't be a problem in the future?

By saying that lightweight wallets in an indirect way are a possible solution to blockchain bloat suggests that it will be a problem if Dash is widely adopted on an international scale. Lightweight wallets are off the blockchain and as such could be viewed as being prone to becoming centralized with all the perils associated with centralization.

By the way, I was stimulated to post after seeing the recent Bitcoin Core vs Bitcoin Unlimited debate which was mentioned in this thread the post before my original. Basically, I'm trying to work out which coins to concentrate on.
AforAmethyst

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:13:59 PM

The issue with Bitcoin isn't bloat, per se. The problem is that Bitcoin doesn't incentivize people to run full nodes, meaning that once the blockchain grows to a certain size, it becomes more difficult and/or expensive to run a full node. It also becomes more time consuming to start a full node, due to the very long syncing process. Dash mitigates that with the masternode network. Masternodes are full nodes with a full copy of the blockchain. Since they are incentivized from the block reward, there is no problem getting people to run them.

Thanks for your explanation. Trying to get my head around Master nodes running full blockchains that sidechains (?) can run on. I read somewhere that that isn't a solution to blockchain bloat. Would appreciate enlightenment if I am getting this wrong.

To put things into a nutshell, I'm trying to work out whether to keep Dash, or sell while the price is high.
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:24:02 PM

Here's my concern and you have highlighted it very well in your second paragraph. Dash will do doubt be used more as the number of payment providers increases. Mass adoption, if it happens, is bound to affect capacity available in each block. How can you say so definitely that blockchain bloat won't be a problem in the future?

By saying that lightweight wallets in an indirect way are a possible solution to blockchain bloat suggests that it will be a problem if Dash is widely adopted on an international scale. Lightweight wallets are off the blockchain and as such could be viewed as being prone to becoming centralized with all the perils associated with centralization.

By the way, I was stimulated to post after seeing the recent Bitcoin Core vs Bitcoin Unlimited debate which was mentioned in this thread the post before my original. Basically, I'm trying to work out which coins to concentrate on.

I can't really say that bloat will definitely never become a problem, but I don't find it likely. Even if it did, Dash's team has shown remarkable ability to solve unexpected problems. At one time, Evan discussed pruning a bit and seemed to think that it could be done. Since Dash's blockchain was (and is) so small, it wasn't something to spend dev resources on at the time.

Consider for a moment that mass adoption has swollen the size of Dash's blockchain to 5 TB:

Mass adoption will have led to much higher prices, meaning that masternode rewards will be much larger (in fiat terms). Right now a masternode makes about 8 DASH per month. Supposing that DASH was worth $1000 each, that masternode would earn $8,000 per month. However, in order to do that, the masternode must store and serve up the entire blockchain, which requires 5 TB of space. I did a quick perusal (I'm sure there are much cheaper options) and Vultr offers a 300 GB VPS instance for $160 per month, with additional storage available for $1/10 GB/month. To serve a 5 TB blockchain, a masternode owner would pay Vultr about $630 per month out of the $8,000 per month in masternode rewards.

Because there are 4500 masternodes, the blockchain is highly decentralized already. If the community felt that 4500 full nodes was too centralized, we could reduce the masternode collateral and thus create more masternodes. If we reduced the necessary collateral from 1,000 DASH to 250 DASH, we would (theoretically) end up with about 18,000 masternodes. Each one serves the full blockchain. Consumers could use SPV wallets without centralization fears, because incentivized masternodes hold the blockchain.

Dash - Digital Cash
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:26:44 PM

Thanks for your explanation. Trying to get my head around Master nodes running full blockchains that sidechains (?) can run on. I read somewhere that that isn't a solution to blockchain bloat. Would appreciate enlightenment if I am getting this wrong.

To put things into a nutshell, I'm trying to work out whether to keep Dash, or sell while the price is high.

Not sure I understand the reference to side chains? Dash doesn't use sidechains, and it's highly unlikely Bitcoin will ever get around to implementing them either (since they can't even solve scalability).

Dash - Digital Cash
MasterMined710
Legendary

Activity: 1182

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:46:00 PM

Dont forget to upgrade your MN's to 12.1.2 Smoothie - also Sentinel to 1.01 as well.

Thanks!

I think you are thinking of smooth not smoothie. Smooth is the monero dev that holds Dash masternodes, smoothie is just a monero bag holder.

DASH = Digital Cash         FAQ          DASHTALK        DashNews
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 08:48:35 PM

Not sure I understand the reference to side chains? Dash doesn't use sidechains, and it's highly unlikely Bitcoin will ever get around to implementing them either (since they can't even solve scalability).

My perception is that sidechains are a bad idea anyway, better to use alts than bitcoin side chains which would be very constraining. Dash incentivised nodes seems like the best way forward than I'm aware of.

You can compare number of full nodes on popular cryptos, Dash with much smaller market cap already has similar number of nodes to bitcoin. Contrast with Monero which only has a few hundred nodes. Not sure about eth I don't see any innovation there in terms of scaling blockchain in fact it will bloat worse than bitcoin.

Having said all that at the moment Dash has had a great run, maybe it can run to new highs versus bitcoin but its at a similar level now where previous runs have ended so realistically the option of selling while high should be considered. This isn't trading advice, personally I'm holding at the moment.
MasterMined710
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:49:11 PM

The Dash evolution release will solve that problem. Maybe someone can post the direct link to that info or i will do it later. Got to run for now.

AforAmethyst

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:24:23 PM

@qwizzie, @110110101, @ddink7, @MasterMined710, and @afbitcoins

Thanks for the informative and considered responses so far. I've got some serious thinking to do.
dafdaf

Activity: 121

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:31:39 PM

@qwizzie, @110110101, @ddink7, @MasterMined710, and @afbitcoins
Thanks for the informative and considered responses so far. I've got some serious thinking to do.

Please join the Dash Nation Slack channel, a friendly place for all other questions. ;-)
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:36:05 PM

Another Dash rise coming up ?

Dash : 0.0243000

https://dc-charts.com/depth_dash.php?ex=16&cu=0&tz=5&ar=1
4.1K buy order at 0.02390000

Edit : and buy-order gone again    

Must be whales playing whales games  Roll Eyes

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 10:09:28 PM

Must be whales playing whales games  Roll Eyes

Maybe testing the waters...

Another spork activation successfull Smiley

Only instantsend left to activate Tongue

qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 10:39:52 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 11:37:37 PM by qwizzie

Must be whales playing whales games  Roll Eyes

Maybe testing the waters...

Another spork activation successfull Smiley

Only instantsend left to activate Tongue

That is good to hear.. thanks.

edit : Look at that, 4 pages already of fully paid masternodes : https://www.dashninja.pl/blocks.html

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:50:21 PM

https://www.caseyresearch.com/articles/meet-bitcoin-jesus has a bunch of subscribers, just mentioned:

" A Natural Market for the War on Cash

Your financial privacy is under assault by the War on Cash.

Every day, we get closer to a world where the government can peer on every single one of your purchases.

Fortunately, Roger told me about a new cryptocurrency that can protect your privacy more effectively than bitcoin.

It’s called Dash. We recommend you look into it. "

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:08:39 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2017, 02:41:34 PM by Otoh

lol, some wishful BTC thinking:

Huh (I gave 10 BTC [$12,000] to this site & they don't even let ppl post an Imgur gif) link: http://imgur.com/T8yrzgQ

Edit for my 4am fail

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
MasterMined710
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:55:48 AM

The Dash evolution release will solve that problem. Maybe someone can post the direct link to that info or i will do it later. Got to run for now.

Here is the basic info, more detailed info can be found in the EVO whitepaper but it is basically a decentralized SPV wallet via the masternodes....

LIGHT WALLETS
Evolution will introduce a new type of light wallet which will have SPV security and browser compatibility. This wallet will connect directly to our P2P network of over 4,000 nodes.
https://www.dash.org/evolution/

MasterMined710
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 03:11:41 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2017, 06:48:40 AM by MasterMined710

lol, some wishful BTC thinking:

Huh (I gave 10 BTC [$12,000] to this site & they don't even let ppl post an Imgur gif) link: http://imgur.com/T8yrzgQ

Love it, tweeted!

lol, for some reason i saw the pacman as dash, someone needs to remake it!

tweet deleted, for now Wink

Bobo81

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:15:25 AM

Good to see a such great coin growing every day!
Pages: « 1 ... 6155 6156 6157 6158 6159 6160 6161 6162 6163 6164 6165 6166 6167 6168 6169 6170 6171 6172 6173 6174 6175 6176 6177 6178 6179 6180 6181 6182 6183 6184 6185 6186 6187 6188 6189 6190 6191 6192 6193 6194 6195 6196 6197 6198 6199 6200 6201 6202 6203 6204 [6205] 6206 6207 6208 6209 6210 6211 6212 6213 6214 6215 6216 6217 6218 6219 6220 6221 6222 6223 6224 6225 6226 6227 6228 6229 6230 6231 6232 6233 6234 6235 6236 6237 6238 6239 6240 6241 6242 6243 6244 6245 6246 6247 6248 6249 6250 6251 6252 6253 6254 6255 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: