Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:54:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 [2112] 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722547 times)
flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:32:05 PM

I wasn't even aware stratum updates were required until about 20 minutes ago.  I am asking my developer to merge the changes now.

However, I still think this is stupid and should be done in the wallet code.

Great, thanks for looking into it!

I agree that this could have been communicated in a more transparent way. And I see that stuff like this is a huge pain for pools using custom stratum solutions (i.e. multipools).

Then once enforcement starts...its a feature  Grin

We shall see.  I'll be here to say "I told you so" when I see the "EMERGENCY UPDATE FOR MASTERNODE PAYMENTS EXPLOIT" emails going out in 3 months.

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
TheBlackDogeOfWallStreet

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:32:50 PM

I'm thinking that if.....

....if I am reading TheBlackDoge correctly

You run custom pool software - correct

Then getting DRK software to run on your system would be your issue and not a DRK issue

Introducing a gratuitous incompatibility that makes it harder for pools to mine your coin is a DRK issue as well.

Pools are an adaptation to decentralised crypto? Adapt, n'est-ce pas?

We are adapting.  The point is via lazy coding you are increasing the number of headaches in my life and I have enough already.

+111111

Multipools support so many coins, and every coin has their way of doing things, and we already have such a huge headache from avoiding forks, mandatory updates (across 40 wallets!!) that when a coin comes along and is like "Hey now you also need custom code, or a stratum update" it throws quiet the fork in to our operations. We don't follow your coins directly (at least I don't) but we are more than happy to comply and make sure your eco system is working-- just make it easy and clear for us to do so, because we have to do it across MANY MANY coins every day.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:33:41 PM

I wasn't even aware stratum updates were required until about 20 minutes ago.  I am asking my developer to merge the changes now.

However, I still think this is stupid and should be done in the wallet code.

Great, thanks for looking into it!

I agree that this could have been communicated in a more transparent way. And I see that stuff like this is a huge pain for pools using custom stratum solutions (i.e. multipools).

Then once enforcement starts...its a feature  Grin

We shall see.  I'll be here to say "I told you so" when I see the "EMERGENCY UPDATE FOR MASTERNODE PAYMENTS EXPLOIT" emails going out in 3 months.

Keep a few of those mulit-pooled DRKs, in 3 months we'll be having a few beers on the moon.
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:35:35 PM

{SNIP}

Multipools support so many coins, and every coin has their way of doing things, and we already have such a huge headache from avoiding forks, mandatory updates (across 40 wallets!!) that when a coin comes along and is like "Hey now you also need custom code, or a stratum update" it throws quiet the fork in to our operations. We don't follow your coins directly (at least I don't) but we are more than happy to comply and make sure your eco system is working-- just make it easy and clear for us to do so, because we have to do it across MANY MANY coins every day.

That's like complaining that you run a travel agency and each airline has different policies and keeping up with them is SUCH a burden. I mean, isn't it kind of obvious that dealing with dozens of coins is going to be challenging?

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:36:41 PM

Haven't been able to keep up recently.

Sporks: are they a permanent feature of alt-coins? Hard forks can now be replaced by 2-step implementations, including checkpoints?

If so, no more ASICs unless it is voted upon by choice?

Part of LTC price pressure has been said to be down to ASIC miners dumping

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2327.msg190260#msg190260

BUMP

Can I ask, are Sporks the end of ASICs?

BUMP

Have we Has Evan just saved Bitcoin and Litecoin?

OK, now this is silly. I'm having a bump conversation with myself.

Someone save me.

Did Evan just save Bitcoin and Litecoin from ASICs?
hartvercoint

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:36:51 PM

We are adapting.  The point is via lazy coding you are increasing the number of headaches in my life and I have enough already.

+111111

Although I understand the issue: This is what you earn quite some money with. I think it's worth your while Smiley

Thanks for giving your best to comply!

@coins101: I don't see the connection between ASICs and soft-forks Huh
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:38:23 PM

+111111

Although I understand the issue: This is what you earn quite some money with. I think it's worth your while Smiley

+101

And if you know any other pools not complying, perhaps you can pass on their details or let them know directly. Glad to see the email campaign is working. Tongue
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:39:40 PM

Alright cheers, I'm forwarding this to my engineers to see if we could make this work.

Dear fellow DRKheads, these guys do have a point, stop ragging on them so much.

Maybe someone with Evan's ear might mention these issues and see what might be done in future to improve the situation?

The whole ecosystem needs to be supported, not just our particular favourite parts of it, anything that can be done to help should be considered.

Smiley

hartvercoint

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:40:37 PM

{SNIP}

That's like complaining that you run a travel agency and each airline has different policies and keeping up with them is SUCH a burden. I mean, isn't it kind of obvious that dealing with dozens of coins is going to be challenging?
+1

Have you guys thought about that hostility isn't helping your/our case right now? Seriously!

Not a single posting of you guys has helped them with what to actually do. So cut them some slack and help them with complying or stfu.
flound1129

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:42:03 PM

{SNIP}

No, it's not like that at all.  The masternode payments code does not belong in the mining software, and should not depend on the mining software.  It's making an issue for pool owners where there should be none.

camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 07:42:16 PM

The whole multipool argument really only tells us that they deal with a lot of cut-and-paste shitcoins... They're all the same. Same codebase. Different name. Maybe there is a way to make integration easier, but getting a bit lazy just because the clones are clones is not DRK's fault for not being just another shitcoin clone.

Both arguments are valid, but the multipool peoples' argument is a lot less so... Yes, it's harder for them. But, especially when they're writing their own custom software, you'd think they wouldn't need hand-holding... Makes a man raise an eyebrow...

Could they get a little more of a helping hand? Yes... They have a "false sense of workload" based on the reality that most coins are shitclones and there isn't much to do when they're all the same old shit, different name... Do they NEED or DESERVE a helping hand? Not really... It just shines a light on two problems; lots of shitclones and lulled into a false sense of workload due to it... and this shines a light on the fact that DRK is not a shitclone. Does this mean DRK should make no effort? Of course not. "We didn't start the fire" is no excuse for standing by and watching it burn...

Some aspects of DRK could be improved, no doubt. There's a bit of ad-hock to speed up... Could it be exploited? Yeah, that's part of why it's closed-source right now... This shit is too fancy. I doubt there will be an emergency update for exploits, but there certainly will be updated version who's only real purpose is to head them off and to clean things up a bit...

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TheBlackDogeOfWallStreet

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:42:22 PM

+111111

All we are asking for is a centralized area with some information regarding this change-- like so some one can Twitter me a link and say "DO THIS" -- we will always do that-- but we've been hunting this information down for like 2 days, with no clear answers. Hell even the other multipool guy didn't know he had to update his stratum-- a lot of the pools don't -- I spoke with them yesterday.

People are just contacting us from your communities telling us to update the wallets and nothing else-- which we have done. We don't follow DarkCoin, we don't know the intricacies of your currency, or what magic joojoo it takes to run. Just send us some clear info, and we will comply, if we can't have that info then we delist because otherwise we're made out to be some fraudsters.

I'm not attacking your community, I have no beef with your coin, or how you guys and your developers chose to run it. But whether you like it or not, pools and multipools are a big part of your ecosystem, and help keep your blockchain secure and moving transactions. Please just give us 1 forum post or a link to a dev saying "for payments to work, you will need to do this, this and this in these methods and or functions and or configs, or you would need to write something that does this specific action." That's it, I don't think it's asking for much.

To the guy with the airline analogy, if some regulation changed with an airline, there would be some sort of instructions that followed, to help airports comply. I don't feel we have received that information, or that information is not in an easily accessible place.

Edit: it was a travel agency, not an airport.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:42:46 PM

+111111

Yay!. I'm not invisible.

The thinking goes like this.

Two-step soft forks, the Sporks, are used to prevent problems with hard forks, right? Implement new code, fork it, if it works enforce it; if it doesn't work, use the checkpoint to roll back?

If that is the case, the Nr.1 issue preventing Litecoin and Bitcoin from updating their code base is chaos caused by hard forks. QED, if sporks prevent the risks from hard forks, Evan just save Bitcoin and Litecoin from ASICs as they have the freedom to change their algo with nothing more than a reasonable notice period - say 6 - 12 months of a spork event.

I won a prize recently for laterally thinking. Did I do it again? Did I? Well?  Grin Grin
flound1129

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:43:03 PM

{SNIP}

+1

Have you guys thought about that hostility isn't helping your/our case right now? Seriously!

Well since my case is 'this is idiotic' I'm hard pressed to find a way to express that without any hostility.

thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:44:49 PM

Haven't been able to keep up recently.

Sporks: are they a permanent feature of alt-coins? Hard forks can now be replaced by 2-step implementations, including checkpoints?

If so, no more ASICs unless it is voted upon by choice?

Part of LTC price pressure has been said to be down to ASIC miners dumping

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2327.msg190260#msg190260

BUMP

Can I ask, are Sporks the end of ASICs?

BUMP

Have we Has Evan just saved Bitcoin and Litecoin?

OK, now this is silly. I'm having a bump conversation with myself.

Someone save me.

Did Evan just save Bitcoin and Litecoin from ASICs?

The reality is that any coin, using any algo, can change anyway if the will is there to avoid ASICs. LTC had the chance and made the wrong choice, BTC still could but never will for a whole host of reasons.

DRK, with Evan + team, *is* willing and able to adapt as neccessary.

Sporking might make it easier for other coins, but it's nothing they couldn't have done anyway.
hartvercoint

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:46:25 PM

{SNIP}

+1

Well since my case is 'this is idiotic' I'm hard pressed to find a way to express that without any hostility.

I'm not talking about you Wink I totally understand your point. I know you haven't come here to tell people "I'm not complying guys! F U!", but to find a solution. So I don't get why there's so much hate coming your way and nobody's actually trying to help.
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:47:21 PM

{SNIP}

+1

Not a single posting of you guys has helped them with what to actually do. So cut them some slack and help them with complying or stfu.

What hostility ? Check again Oo Moreover the "lazy coding" part (by flound1129) was hostile so you stfu thx.
zombie6

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:47:46 PM

damn this is gonna be a soap opera this month
camosoul

Activity: 560

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 07:48:31 PM

+111111

Yay!. I'm not invisible.

The thinking goes like this.

Two-step soft forks, the Sporks, are used to prevent problems with hard forks, right? Implement new code, fork it, if it works enforce it; if it doesn't work, use the checkpoint to roll back?

If that is the case, the Nr.1 issue preventing Litecoin and Bitcoin from updating their code base is chaos caused by hard forks. QED, if sporks prevent the risks from hard forks, Evan just save Bitcoin and Litecoin from ASICs as they have the freedom to change their algo with nothing more than a reasonable notice period - say 6 - 12 months of a spork event.

I won a prize recently for laterally thinking. Did I do it again? Did I? Well?  Grin Grin
I believe in a much longer-term answer to ASICs; they'll burn themselves out, functionally.

A USB key ASIC that costs under $50 will be the only thing that makes sense, be cheaper and more inclusive than even CPU mining, and no longer be a money hose mentality because they'll reach a tipping point where that just can't be done anymore. Moore's Law will reach a wall that only this kind of IC use would push into.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TheBlackDogeOfWallStreet

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:48:46 PM

{SNIP}

+1

What hostility ? Check again Oo Moreover the "lazy coding" part (by flound1129) was hostile so you stfu thx.

I think you are mistaking hostility for frustration.
Pages: « 1 ... 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 [2112] 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: