Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:18:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4150 4151 4152 4153 4154 4155 4156 4157 4158 4159 4160 4161 4162 4163 4164 4165 4166 4167 4168 4169 4170 4171 4172 4173 4174 4175 4176 4177 4178 4179 4180 4181 4182 4183 4184 4185 4186 4187 4188 4189 4190 4191 4192 4193 4194 4195 4196 4197 4198 4199 [4200] 4201 4202 4203 4204 4205 4206 4207 4208 4209 4210 4211 4212 4213 4214 4215 4216 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 4225 4226 4227 4228 4229 4230 4231 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 4237 4238 4239 4240 4241 4242 4243 4244 4245 4246 4247 4248 4249 4250 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722500 times)
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:36:19 PM

I honestly don't think we would have come this far if it wasn't for the name Darkcoin, but I also don't think we would be able to achieve wider adoption with it. We are already hitting some roadblocks in the adoption front that are directly related to branding and the change in name will open new possibilities.

It is not about changing to me, it is more about evolving and adapting to changing market conditions, being flexible will send an extremely positive message to the market and potential investors, they will see a community and a development team that is mature enough to change and adapt.  You won't see anyone trolling here about how changing brands away from Darkcoin is a bad idea, because is one of the main perceived weaknesses at this point.

I think if we loose anyone over a name change after so much work has gone into developing the platform it would be really sad, but I also think we stand to get 10 more investors that have been shying away from investing because of the branding issue.

If you are having doubts, read this article about the Bitcoin full node issue and think about, how the Masternode Network addresses these problems: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-nodes-need/    Spoiler: Masternodes are a brilliant solution to this issue.

The value is there, we are much more than a name.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:37:15 PM

"New Egg now excepts DASH!"  
customer: What the hell is dash?  

"New Egg now excepts Darkcoin!"
customer: Oh Darkcoin, that must be like bitcoin

This is a big criteria.

Everything is going to revolve around bitcoin and we can't afford not to take that into account. The name "Darkcoin" will immediately be associated with Bitcoin.
Excuseme

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:37:39 PM

It is that time again for a branding discussion, or is Evan trolling?

we are discussing it, but appearently its getting implemented as we speak

I vote for otohcoin  Grin

So without any vote or anything by the community/foundation members, Evan just goes ahead and decides to make the change to "DASH" by himself, in a coin that's supposed to be decentralized? Give me a fucking break. This is pissing me off completely. Disappointed with him.

There  talk about on Darkcointalk,move from bitcointalk a bit...

As per qwizzie said, " we are discussing it, but appearently its getting implemented as we speak".
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:37:44 PM

-snip-

I gave up on the point of mainstream adoption and a family friendly approach about 300 pages back. I got to the point where a pragmatic middle ground in my mind was to wait until the market cap gets to $20m - $50m, then go suggest mom n' pop re-branding and re-positioning.

Can we wait until DRK gets to $20m before changing the name to otohcoin?
 Grin
solo20

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:38:12 PM

so everyone is crying about the name being change when you got many in the past screaming to change the name you just cant win with some people
JGCMiner

Activity: 611
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:39:51 PM

It is hard to make the claim that the general public will in any way confuse a laundry detergent for a cryptocurrency.  Also, there are numerous other uses of the mark DASH which haven't been contested by P&G.  

We consulted with attorneys to ensure that we are able to rebrand this crypto to DASH without issue.  We've taken the initial steps towards a rebrand, but there is still much more to do.

I should bring up a situation that I came across which highlights the need for a rebrand.  I was at recently at a dinner with the CEO of Expresscoin (whom added Darkcoin months ago as per my suggestion).  He directly informed me that he'd been getting pressure from his investors to drop Darkcoin as they were worried about the legal scrutiny it could bring Expresscoin.  I asked him to hold off for a bit before doing anything as there would be some announcements made, to which he agreed.  So as you can see, Darkcoins problems are a lot like racism.  You show up for endless interviews and everyone seems nice but you can't understand why you never get hired.  Evan has done a fantastic job of pushing out features which are important to users and will clearly lead to consumer adoption.  The problem is that this is meaningless if there is little to no adoption on the merchant side.  A rebrand helps balance this issue.

With a rebrand we can reach out to industries that previously wouldn't consider using Darkcoin due to the fact that Dark is often associated with something sinister.  A good example of this is the medicinal marijuana industry.  They have massive problems because MMJ is illegal on a federal level but not on the state level.  As a result, banks are completely unwilling to work with them.  This industry is desperate for a solution and using crypto / DASH should be an easy sell, creating a HUGE opportunity for us.  However, consider this: As a dispensary whom already has considerable legal scrutiny, would you be willing to take a risk and start doing business using a cryptocurrency named Darkcoin?  This shows how important the brand is, and how we really need to consider what is on the horizon and where we want to go from here.  

Bump.

This has changed my mind a bit. I am assuming you are on the foundation board?
GhostPlayer
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:40:44 PM

Dash is such a stupid fucking name..... prediction worse out come then sticking to darkcoin

I think this revolves around 2 things:

[1] - is Darkcoin a good name "out there" in the non crypto world

[2] - is it genuinely a hindrance to adoption "out there" in the non-crypto world

I've usually thought it is a hindrance, but that's because we're kind of obsessed with "fear" of the politically incorrect and Fox News burying any chance you had of acceptance by associating you with ISIS or something.

On the other hand, people do like contrasts. Darkcoin might not be nearly the hindrance we think to adoption since by the time DRK gets "out there" there's likely to be a ton of other anons on the go with all different names and we end up shootin gourselves in the foot by ditching the one discriminating label we had that identifies us as "authentic" and "original".

Bitcoin
   |
Litecoin
   |
Darkcoin

OR...

Monero-Boolbery-Infinium-Dash  <- suddenly fades into the background

I can see the wider appeal of "Dash" - it could look good on tickers, ETFs and whatever and allow Mrs Jones to invest without feeling she's in Bill O'Reilly's sights for helping terrorists. If Darkcoin really is categorically a barier to adoption and not simply simply "dark chocolate" to bitcoin's "milk chocolate" then obviously it needs addressing in the long term. I'm just saying it might not be as evil as we think as far as the wider market is concerned (or at least "evil" in an attractive, dark chocolate way).

Maybe Darkcoin is the right name for all the reasons that we're thinking about avoiding it - i.e. it's the market space that takes the most guts to occupy but brings the most rewards for that reason.

(Just thinking aloud).

I ABSOLUTELY see your point. And the main reason originally excited me of this coin.

But then there is the universe outside the BTC umbrella. The world is ABSOLUTELY ready for this technology to invade the populous, mainly through instant micro-payments. From SWIFT to IBAN, to VISA to Mastercard, credit AND (god forbid) debit with third parties... DRK is geared up on every front. Heck, isn't X11 a candidate to substitute SHA256? And that's not even considering future tier-2 MN network possibilities!

This little open source hobby can become a monster really quick, if there is the capital behind it

We can create a brave new umbrella, and that's the point (I think) Evan was making about taking on BTC.

Like Ripple "almost" did overnight.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:42:56 PM

-snip-
Yes, I'm on the board.

Y not, 'masternode'?

Does what is says on the server  Grin
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:45:24 PM

I'm warming....

na, not yet.
Kuriso

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:45:35 PM

In case you missed it, there is a Dashcoin! http://dashcoin.net/

"Dash is a global brand owned by Procter & Gamble" - Trademark infringement?

How will you rebrand the websites?  What web addresses are available for DASH?  I
HinnomTX

Activity: 525

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:45:51 PM

Dash?  Really??  You know there is a Dashcoin right? http://dashcoin.net/

I'm not a fan of dash.  Over simplified but...

"New Egg now excepts DASH!"  
customer: What the hell is dash?  

"New Egg now excepts Darkcoin!"
customer: Oh Darkcoin, that must be like bitcoin

Walk into a computer store...
customer:  Do you except Dash?
clerk:  What is dash?

customer: Do you except Darkcoin?
clerk: Not yet, but we are currently excepting bitcoin.

The Darkcoin name is more easily associated to bitcoin than Dash.  Will people that have heard of bitcoin be more likely to look at a coin call Darkcoin than they are Dash?

How would you rebrand all the websites?  dash.com isn't available.  would you name the forum dashtalk.org?  that does not sound like a crypto forum.
I think you meant 'accept' rather than except.
IMO, DASH is kinda vanilla, but have you heard of the payment processor 'Square'? Now that's very generic name for a company, yet they are making inroads. (They happen to accept Bitcoin too). They use 'Square Up' to distinguish themselves on the web.  
https://squareup.com/

DASH/Darkcoin will need to deploy something similar to make the name stick, and to make it distinguishable from detergent.  I have confidence that there is more to the marketing story than just choosing DASH for a name. DashPay, DashCash, or something similar will be needed, methinks.

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
Dash is Digital Cash.  https://www.dash.org
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:46:41 PM

and........

sold

Grin
the-baker

Activity: 127

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:48:21 PM

lol, comparing the name to washing deterigent is as stupid as comparing Apple to the fruit. It's the product(s) and service(s) underneath the brand that actually matter.

Well, for English native speakers, "apple" the fruit and "Apple" the company might sound the same, but the washing detergent is called "Dash" globally. Also notice the capitalization: Dash the washing detergent and Dash the currency vs. apple the fruit and Apple the company

Apple is called Apple globally, what's your argument?

My point is:

- Apple is a global brand owned by Apple Inc. apple is an English noun for a certain type of fruit.
- Dash is a global brand owned by Procter & Gamble.

When Darkcoin wants to be the global brand named "Dash", there will be be at least some confusion.

Also, the point of my post was to make a different suggestion, namely D-Cash. It makes for nicer wordplay (D-Day!) and is very hard to mis-interpret

It is hard to make the claim that the general public will in any way confuse a laundry detergent for a cryptocurrency.  Also, there are numerous other uses of the mark DASH which haven't been contested by P&G.  

We consulted with attorneys to ensure that we are able to rebrand this crypto to DASH without issue.  We've taken the initial steps towards a rebrand, but there is still much more to do.

I should bring up a situation that I came across which highlights the need for a rebrand.  I was at recently at a dinner with the CEO of Expresscoin (whom added Darkcoin months ago as per my suggestion).  He directly informed me that he'd been getting pressure from his investors to drop Darkcoin as they were worried about the legal scrutiny it could bring Expresscoin.  I asked him to hold off for a bit before doing anything as there would be some announcements made, to which he agreed.  So as you can see, Darkcoins problems are a lot like racism.  You show up for endless interviews and everyone seems nice but you can't understand why you never get hired.  Evan has done a fantastic job of pushing out features which are important to users and will clearly lead to consumer adoption.  The problem is that this is meaningless if there is little to no adoption on the merchant side.  A rebrand helps balance this issue.

With a rebrand we can reach out to industries that previously wouldn't consider using Darkcoin due to the fact that Dark is often associated with something sinister.  A good example of this is the medicinal marijuana industry.  They have massive problems because MMJ is illegal on a federal level but not on the state level.  As a result, banks are completely unwilling to work with them.  This industry is desperate for a solution and using crypto / DASH should be an easy sell, creating a HUGE opportunity for us.  However, consider this: As a dispensary whom already has considerable legal scrutiny, would you be willing to take a risk and start doing business using a cryptocurrency named Darkcoin?  This shows how important the brand is, and how we really need to consider what is on the horizon and where we want to go from here.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a rebranding. I just wonder if we couldn't come up with something better than Dash. But maybe that's only because I walk by a sales rack full of Dash every time I go to the supermarket :-)
Freckleg

Activity: 508

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:48:40 PM

and........

sold

Grin

The best
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:48:53 PM

How will you rebrand the websites?  What web addresses are available for DASH?  I

Yeah, that's not cool.

Procter might not be in an IRP segment that is linked to digital currency, money supply. but they might be in something to do with rewards and online rewards.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:49:27 PM

If Darkcoin really is categorically a barier to adoption and not simply simply "dark chocolate" to bitcoin's "milk chocolate" then obviously it needs addressing.....

...looks like my question got answered more categorically than I thought it would:

Minotaur26
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:52:41 PM

Yeah, that's not cool.

Procter might not be in an IRP segment that is linked to digital currency, money supply. but they might be in something to do with rewards and online rewards.

This thread is moving really fast, so I will post it again. The foundation acquired Dashcoin and the rights to the name. We wont be using the suffix "coin" though, just Dash.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:53:00 PM

lol, comparing the name to washing deterigent is as stupid as comparing Apple to the fruit. It's the product(s) and service(s) underneath the brand that actually matter.

Well, for English native speakers, "apple" the fruit and "Apple" the company might sound the same, but the washing detergent is called "Dash" globally. Also notice the capitalization: Dash the washing detergent and Dash the currency vs. apple the fruit and Apple the company

Apple is called Apple globally, what's your argument?

My point is:

- Apple is a global brand owned by Apple Inc. apple is an English noun for a certain type of fruit.
- Dash is a global brand owned by Procter & Gamble.

When Darkcoin wants to be the global brand named "Dash", there will be be at least some confusion.

Also, the point of my post was to make a different suggestion, namely D-Cash. It makes for nicer wordplay (D-Day!) and is very hard to mis-interpret

questions : those investors that now shy away from Darkcoin due to its often association with ''something sinister'' and due to the worried legal scrutiny it could bring
from authorities .. wouldnt that also apply to Darkcoin's core function : the mixing of inputs so tracing will be extremely difficult? What if we indeed change the name
to DASH only to find out its really our core function (darksend) thats causing investors to shy away from Darkcoin ? By then we will have lost a great deal of name regnonition and will find ourself in a position struggling for marketcap with all those other altcoin's (all those 100's of altcoins ... who are already ahead with name regnonition).      

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:53:24 PM

In all seriousness, just:

D.R.K.

Means nothing to those new. Means something to those old and know the history. Bridges the gaps on all sorts of fronts.

If not:

BitcoinCantDoHalfTheThingsThisCoinCanDoCoin

I think the .com domain is available for that
crimi

Activity: 147

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:56:30 PM

Dark stays rebranding is a scam.  Cry

D.R.K would be fine...
Pages: « 1 ... 4150 4151 4152 4153 4154 4155 4156 4157 4158 4159 4160 4161 4162 4163 4164 4165 4166 4167 4168 4169 4170 4171 4172 4173 4174 4175 4176 4177 4178 4179 4180 4181 4182 4183 4184 4185 4186 4187 4188 4189 4190 4191 4192 4193 4194 4195 4196 4197 4198 4199 [4200] 4201 4202 4203 4204 4205 4206 4207 4208 4209 4210 4211 4212 4213 4214 4215 4216 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 4225 4226 4227 4228 4229 4230 4231 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 4237 4238 4239 4240 4241 4242 4243 4244 4245 4246 4247 4248 4249 4250 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: