Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:44:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4326 4327 4328 4329 4330 4331 4332 4333 4334 4335 4336 4337 4338 4339 4340 4341 4342 4343 4344 4345 4346 4347 4348 4349 4350 4351 4352 4353 4354 4355 4356 4357 4358 4359 4360 4361 4362 4363 4364 4365 4366 4367 4368 4369 4370 4371 4372 4373 4374 4375 [4376] 4377 4378 4379 4380 4381 4382 4383 4384 4385 4386 4387 4388 4389 4390 4391 4392 4393 4394 4395 4396 4397 4398 4399 4400 4401 4402 4403 4404 4405 4406 4407 4408 4409 4410 4411 4412 4413 4414 4415 4416 4417 4418 4419 4420 4421 4422 4423 4424 4425 4426 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722516 times)
Sapereaude

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 02:36:24 AM

Hey quick notice! @darkcoinnews rebranding (Not to Dash)

I will not be covering news about Darkcoin anymore and have thus changed my @darkcoinnews twitter account name/logo/etc. I'll still be checking in here regularly since I'm hooked anyways but I won't help promote Darkcoin actively anymore.

While I was optimistic at first for a rebranding, the way the situation was handled was absolutely horrible. Dash itself is IMO quite a bad choice for the name and I've been vocal about that but the fact that no alternatives were seriously discussed and that the decision was made permanent within a few days was a dictator move instead of a decentralized currency and it made me rethink the effort I put into promoting.

I definitely could have lived with Dash if we came up with a few great alternatives and then put it to a real vote. Instead it went from rumors, to first announcement, to confirmation within a few days. (Don't come at me with "A decision HAD to be taken" bullshit, there was no hurry and a few more weeks wouldn't have changed anything).

I'm keeping all my Darkcoin and I remain always impressed by the development speed and the resulting tech. I'll definitely give some Twitter shout outs to interesting developments but it won't be my main focus anymore. So this notice is really for those of you who want to unfollow me.

Apple, Google, Microsoft all decided on the names of products without me, how dare they!

#tears

Apple, Google, Microsoft, are exactly why Satoshi made Bitcoin, to get away from centralized control on important decisions.

You talk to Satoshi often? : p but seriously I am not sure you can say naming dash is equally important as developing the underlying technology. Even if it was I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why weeks of uncertainty and community friction is preferable to simply ripping the band aid off and going with dash.

Even simple questions like putting together a shortlist or method of voting would have divided and distracted the community. So it seems to have been the right decision, especially since to date I haven't seen and contenders to the name Dash anyway.

I've seen a plethora of alternative names to Dash that have been suggested by the community. What I haven't seen is a vote, a poll, or anything for the darkcoin community to get a say in the name change, neither here or on darkcointalk.

I never said there weren't any alternative names, just that none of the names garnered any real support. Also you haven't provided a compelling argument as to why "why weeks of uncertainty and community friction is preferable to simply ripping the band aid off and going with dash".

Edit: Also you have not explained why naming is as important as the underlying technology. I'm pretty sure people would use cars even if they were named wheelboxes.

You just need to go through his history to see his intentions Smiley

Ooo dear lord I have been feeding the troll! There is no other honorable option, but to commit sepuku.

Forgive me Dash-san...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 02:36:48 AM

I will not be covering news about Darkcoin anymore and have thus changed my @darkcoinnews twitter account name/logo/etc. I'll still be checking in here regularly since I'm hooked anyways but I won't help promote Darkcoin actively anymore.

While I was optimistic at first for a rebranding, the way the situation was handled was absolutely horrible. Dash itself is IMO quite a bad choice for the name and I've been vocal about that but the fact that no alternatives were seriously discussed and that the decision was made permanent within a few days was a dictator move instead of a decentralized currency and it made me rethink the effort I put into promoting.

I definitely could have lived with Dash if we came up with a few great alternatives and then put it to a real vote. Instead it went from rumors, to first announcement, to confirmation within a few days. (Don't come at me with "A decision HAD to be taken" bullshit, there was no hurry and a few more weeks wouldn't have changed anything).

I'm keeping all my Darkcoin and I remain always impressed by the development speed and the resulting tech. I'll definitely give some Twitter shout outs to interesting developments but it won't be my main focus anymore. So this notice is really for those of you who want to unfollow me.

Apple, Google, Microsoft all decided on the names of products without me, how dare they!

#tears

Apple, Google, Microsoft, are exactly why Satoshi made Bitcoin, to get away from centralized control on important decisions.

You talk to Satoshi often? : p but seriously I am not sure you can say naming dash is equally important as developing the underlying technology. Even if it was I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why weeks of uncertainty and community friction is preferable to simply ripping the band aid off and going with dash.

Even simple questions like putting together a shortlist or method of voting would have divided and distracted the community. So it seems to have been the right decision, especially since to date I haven't seen and contenders to the name Dash anyway.

I've seen a plethora of alternative names to Dash that have been suggested by the community. What I haven't seen is a vote, a poll, or anything for the darkcoin community to get a say in the name change, neither here or on darkcointalk.

I never said there weren't any alternative names, just that none of the names garnered any real support. Also you haven't provided a compelling argument as to why "why weeks of uncertainty and community friction is preferable to simply ripping the band aid off and going with dash".

Edit: Also you have not explained why naming is as important as the underlying technology. I'm pretty sure people would use cars even if they were named wheelboxes.

You just need to go through his history to see his intentions Smiley

I used to be a fervent supporter of Darkcoin, so yes check the history. Also, I'm not getting what you're saying by "why weeks of uncertainty and community friction is preferable to simply ripping the band aid off and going with dash", as far as I've known and seen, hardly anyone has been complaining about the name Darkcoin. A few users saying "The name Darkcoin is bad", doesn't mean that there has been weeks of uncertainty and community friction, lol.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 02:43:47 AM

Did Satoshi (or most dev) made a poll before choosing "Bitcoin" (the name of their coins) ? Maybe if Bitcoin never existed you would find someone saying that it's a ugly name and that anything named like that would never work. Okay the devs can let everybody chime in, give name ideas but the choice of the majority is not necessarily the best. Moreover, it can be time-consuming. If a name is not harmful to a coin i.e. your investment, what really is the problem ?
bigrcanada

Activity: 588

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 03:10:40 AM

The dash name was voiced by many in the community.  Brick and mortar businesses as well as other businesses  where looking for a name that was descriptive of what it was(DASH-digital cash) yet neutral.  There was a lot community pressure for this for a long time.  Many of you here have not been part of the long time discussions, other then Anon who's been here a long time.  At the end....lets leave his decision as his own and respectfully move on.

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:17:43 AM

Some "Dashed" idioms  Cheesy

Dash & carry
hard Dash
cold Dash
Dash only
Dash in
short on Dash
Dash cow
petty Dash
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:21:06 AM

Boohoo, way to handle things like a grown up.

Agreed.  Anonymousxx...really try and move past this.  In the scheme of things it is so insignificant how the name change came about.  Can you image the chaos and the countless pages of discussion had Evan and the dev team put a name change to the entire community?  Shit happened, the technology is the same and now the potential is even greater.  Seems to me the only one losing out here is you.

I think you're missing part of the point.

He is saying he invested a lot of time helping the project along. He felt invested in the project, not just a passive owner of coins. He made choices against his time and he chose to dedicate it freely to the project as an active member of the wider community: 'I'd rather help this project succeed than go for a walk or talk with a friend on the phone.'

Rightly or wrongly, I think he is saying he would have liked to have been involved in the decision making process, even if his view didn't make a difference to the outcome, and the outcome was still the same - the amount of effort that went into helping the project warranted at least some level of acknowledgement by way of engagement in discussion through the forum. I suspect Vertoe had a similar thought process.

Hi Anon.   I respect your right to make this decision.  I have seen you mining this coin since the beginning... And I'm sure you have bucket load of coins Wink  I always envied your hash rates too...when I was just mining with my CPUs.   Lol.   In the end... Many community members like myself were very vocal in have darkcoin name change.   Could it have happened smoother or ummm with less drama,  Maybe maybe not.  Either way I respect you for your decision.  Cheers.

Anonymousxx1503, It is sad for me to read this Cry, you have been an asset here, and will be missed. I commend you for your reasoned tone, and clear rational for your choice. Any positive comments you care to toss our way in the future will be appreciated. And I hope the rest of the community will wish you well also. (Though sadly, I'm sure some will be hurt, and lash out in their frustration.) At the very least I hope they will see that you are not pulling a "vertoe" and being vindictive.

I disagree with you, and do feel that it was more a case of Evan being influenced by the community, rather than enforcing his will on it. I was certainly one lobbying for a name change. I was not initially in favor of Dash, but got no positive feedback on any of my suggestions. Again, I must say I think Evan responded to the community rather than enforced his will.

Go in peace my friend, and should your meanderings bring you back to this fold, I for one will be more than happy to welcome you back. Smiley

Thanks for the kind words guys, there's different ways to perceive this as can be seen from the responses to my post. I'm not really going anywhere either, I'll be posting here regularly as usual. Coins101 that's exactly what it is for me, It's been over a year now of daily tweets, reddit posts and various other things and I do feel really linked to this community even if I don't participate as much as some others do. Knowing that my voice was at least heard would have gone a long way towards keeping the flame alive. One thing I can't deny is that the tech is awesome and the future of the coin is bright, I just can't put in the energy anymore to be a bigger part of it.

For the people who think this is childish/etc., I'm not going to turn into a Darkcoin troll, I'm not dumping my coins, I still have tremendous respect for Evan for being THE best altcoin developer out there. The reality is that I'd rather not do this half assed and the notice I gave here was to express my voice on the subject one last time and also to allow people who followed me for Darkcoin related stuff to unfollow. I'll show my support by keeping all my masternodes up and running as usual and staying a hodler.

@bigrcanada Haha yeah It was the first coin I mined and since it was CPU only and I figured out how to use EC2 to mine, I was going nuts with it. I remember getting a phone call from amazon EC2 support to confirm I wanted to raise my instance limit to something like 300 while I was in class.

@Strix I'm glad it came off in a reasonable tone! I do snap sometimes since I don't tolerate stupidity but most of the time I think I was doing ok!

TLDR: I'm not leaving the community, I'm keeping my masternodes and coins, I still think Evan is the best dev out there, I would have liked to have been an active part of the discussion on the rebranding instead of having it forced down my throat.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
someredguy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:21:47 AM

Some "Dashed" idioms  Cheesy

Dash & carry
hard Dash
cold Dash
Dash only
Dash in
short on Dash
Dash cow
petty Dash

Nice... here's a few more...

Such a dashing young man
dashing thru the snow...
dine n dash (credit to another bct poster)
dashboard

Dash - Fast, anonymous, digital cash.  http://www.dash.org
Bridgewater

Activity: 133

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:27:57 AM

Contrary to what MyFarm's been posting, I actually think ED's business management and communication skills are pretty damn good considering the landscape of this industry.

The merits of the rebranding decision will be debated add infinitum, but if there's one thing a business manager cannot be criticised for it's listening to your customers. How many instances of darkcoin footsoldiers reporting back that they can't get the coin listed on accepted here there and everywhere do people need to recognise that ?

I could see ED being criticised for being pigheaded enough not to take head of such reports but not for doing so.

Then there's this business of Vertoe. Well w.t.f. was Evan supposed to do ? He had to make a decision. Vertoe had painted Evan right into a corner by stamping his foot so publicly and firmly on the brand issue (for no good business reason I might add). It was Vertoe who forced the confrontation by turning that into a showstopping point, not Evan.

Then there's his "communications" skills. Well as far as I can see there's no developer around that conducts themselves with remotely the degree of decorum and dignity that ED does. His formal announcements are clear, concise and unambigious. He stays well away from forum flamewars and limits himself to remarking on significant technical issues.

On top of that he's made some very balanced intuitive calls over technical issues and general direction. I accept he's possibly difficult on certain areas  - who isn't. Maybe Vertoe was right that more testing could have been done before certain releases etc so I acknowledge that team members may have had legitimate gripes.

All the same, for me, when it's a market like this you buy into someone's intuition and just hope to hell the people around them can provide enough support, stability and rationality to get the maximum out of it and keep the show on the road. Vertoe was an unfortunate casualty of that process but as far as I can see it was more to do with a simple divergence of philosophy than incompetence in Evan's communication.

+ 100

...and I would just add.

If you had to undertake some sort of formal benchmarking process that took into account capabilities across multiple domains of programming skill, industry awareness/knowledge, management skill, communications skill and overall business acumen, Evan is clearly going to come out way ahead of most devs in crypto. Now that's not to say this is a winning factor (i.e. given the pretty ordinary level of dev competence in this field one may need to be light years ahead to be really demonstrating advanced capabilities that stack up in other realms of finance/IT) but it certainly puts him into a good position.

I've read all your posts MyFarm and I can appreciate where you're coming from but I think you're taking a line of thinking that is classic big business / corporate boardroom style of modus operandi where corporate group-think rules and left-field innovation, brilliance and nimble responsiveness is basically trampled on. Some of what you're saying (about needing to get a high level "professional" in and ensure they're well paid) is the sort of line VCs or bankers would push when they're shelling out seed capital. It's what an IBM would do to a small start up upon acquiring them and, in the process, the brilliant minds, advanced thinkers and the innovation would all exit stage right because they can't possibly exist amongst "the suits".

Evan has brought us to where we are. Is it perfect? Is it 100% how it should be? Has the risk been minimised as much as possible? The answer to those questions (of course) is a resounding NO! It's an out-on-the-bleeding-edge project. It's full of issues, complexities and difficulties. There's a never ending need to balance Evan's creativity and just-do-it attitude with more measured processes (like more rigorous release management for instance). But he's brought us this far with the most astounding level of commitment and action. His work output is clearly stunning and his penchant for thinking ten steps ahead about how major issues in crypto can be resolved is impressive beyond anything I've seen in this realm. I for one feel like I'm very fortunate to be involved with such an amazing guy who's doing so much good in this space. The very last thing I'd want to see is all sorts of formal structure and process built up around Evan. Of course, it's inevitable that we'll need more of it at some point (can't operate in the 'financial services' world without it) but at this early stage, I believe Evan has his finger on the pulse and knows what he's doing. And there are enough people in here (like what bigrcanada was just pointing out about his background) who have enough extensive experience that they can perceive what's going on from the same angle.

None of what I'm saying though is to say we won't have legal stoushes and problems going forward, but I believe Evan's insight and creative thought processes will, to a degree, negate whatever comes along (as difficult as it may be). I'm all for having dissenting voices on a project to negate the natural build up of cognitive dissonance but your comments about Vertoe being the second most important dev I think are out of line and a misrepresentation of what's really true. The manner in which he exited, dumping 50,000 DRK (or thereabouts) without warning was a dummy spit of epic proportions. It's just as well it happened now and not further down the track. That type of personality within a team environment is often too damaging by contrast to the benefit they bring.

+1 to both posts, and to give anonymousxx1503 the opportunity to re-read them.
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:41:17 AM

Thanks. There is no doubt in my mind that Evan is super human. He is very likeable, incredibly smart (Finance+Programming!), loyal and he works his ass off. He took a decision and it's not the end of the world, but for me it was enough to push me out of doing "extra work" even though I greatly enjoyed it while it lasted. The decision did not make me feel valued as a community member and maybe I felt a bit entitled because I was there since the very beginning and my faith in the project has never waivered. That's all there is to it, the way the rebranding was handled knocked down my enthusiasm in donating my time.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:51:24 AM

Let's Talk Bitcoin! #196 Distortions towards Privacy

On Todays Show Matthew interviews Evan of the Darkcoin project for an in-depth look at how one community has attacked and perhaps solved many of the privacy concerns that are a part of Bitcoin.

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-196-distortions-towards-privacy-or-many-hands-makes-light-work
 Grin Grin Grin

Bump Grin

Anyone interested in DASH/DRK should listen. Everything you need to know about this project wrapped into an easy-to-understand 45 minute interview.

Yes please
listen to it 1 more time !
 Grin
Jeff8247

Activity: 219

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 05:37:10 AM

Thanks. There is no doubt in my mind that Evan is super human. He is very likeable, incredibly smart (Finance+Programming!), loyal and he works his ass off. He took a decision and it's not the end of the world, but for me it was enough to push me out of doing "extra work" even though I greatly enjoyed it while it lasted. The decision did not make me feel valued as a community member and maybe I felt a bit entitled because I was there since the very beginning and my faith in the project has never waivered. That's all there is to it, the way the rebranding was handled knocked down my enthusiasm in donating my time.

That's fair enough. All the best anonymousxx1503.

Its certainly seems to me that people have turned their investment into something else by getting so attached to it. At the end of the day guys most are here for the money and the rest are here to change the world (really believe in crypto). I personally think people need to relax a little and not get so attached.

My 2 duffs.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Rux
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1024

https://crypto.ba

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 06:26:05 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2015, 06:59:44 AM by Rux

berserk mode on Bitfinex Smiley

someone is crazy and buying ...we crossed the price before vertoe's dump

0.013 so close Smiley

edit: we have touch 0.013 on cryptsy

RXC Crypto.ba Decentralized solutions!
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:05:12 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2015, 07:19:51 AM by arielbit

That's fair enough. All the best anonymousxx1503.

Its certainly seems to me that people have turned their investment into something else by getting so attached to it. At the end of the day guys most are here for the money and the rest are here to change the world (really believe in crypto). I personally think people need to relax a little and not get so attached.

My 2 duffs.

that's why price really doesn't affect my stance in dashcoin.....oww wait.that's a good name for rebrand..  duffcoin or duffcash (Duffy's Ultimate Far Fetched Coin).

peace out.  Kiss

JGCMiner

Activity: 611

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:24:22 AM

berserk mode on Bitfinex Smiley

someone is crazy and buying ...we crossed the price before vertoe's dump

0.013 so close Smiley

edit: we have touch 0.013 on cryptsy

Yeah. Things are looking quite nice.

I've noticed that alot of the buying has been going on during the afternoon/evening in Asia... benefit of no longer being known as "devilcoin".  Tongue
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:26:58 AM

We have transifex up and running again!

Please come and contribute to your language!

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/darkcoin/

BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 08:50:14 AM

We have transifex up and running again!

Great! Request sent for Portuguese  Wink

tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 09:02:48 AM

亲爱的各位女士们先生们,

http://www.8btc.com/p49049

WoopWoop
live in China
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 09:03:48 AM

Wink
1 more bump ...>
kointrend

Activity: 655

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 09:04:02 AM

2403 ATH masternods  Cool

http://178.254.18.153/~pub/masternode_count.png
yurimir
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1044

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 09:14:17 AM

[Poll] What anonymous coin will succed?  +5

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=568166.1000

Pages: « 1 ... 4326 4327 4328 4329 4330 4331 4332 4333 4334 4335 4336 4337 4338 4339 4340 4341 4342 4343 4344 4345 4346 4347 4348 4349 4350 4351 4352 4353 4354 4355 4356 4357 4358 4359 4360 4361 4362 4363 4364 4365 4366 4367 4368 4369 4370 4371 4372 4373 4374 4375 [4376] 4377 4378 4379 4380 4381 4382 4383 4384 4385 4386 4387 4388 4389 4390 4391 4392 4393 4394 4395 4396 4397 4398 4399 4400 4401 4402 4403 4404 4405 4406 4407 4408 4409 4410 4411 4412 4413 4414 4415 4416 4417 4418 4419 4420 4421 4422 4423 4424 4425 4426 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: