Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:44:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 4225 4226 4227 4228 4229 4230 4231 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 4237 4238 4239 4240 4241 4242 4243 4244 4245 4246 4247 4248 4249 4250 4251 4252 4253 4254 4255 4256 4257 4258 4259 4260 4261 4262 4263 4264 4265 4266 [4267] 4268 4269 4270 4271 4272 4273 4274 4275 4276 4277 4278 4279 4280 4281 4282 4283 4284 4285 4286 4287 4288 4289 4290 4291 4292 4293 4294 4295 4296 4297 4298 4299 4300 4301 4302 4303 4304 4305 4306 4307 4308 4309 4310 4311 4312 4313 4314 4315 4316 4317 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722674 times)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:05:28 PM

private instant digital

or

private instant cash

+1

Cash would be better (because all cash is digital anyway). If you use "cash" then you've got the slogan nailed as well;

"Dash: private-instant-cash"

The "private" is right up there. Couldn't be better.
etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:05:31 PM

BTER has some open withdrawals .. Dark and Lite coins pretty much. Doge and rest all disabled still.

Spread is epic, but fuk no .. got my DRK out, bastards lost me money .. get coin out while you can.

I placed buy orders on DRK at 105 - 110 which got filled, sell wall is at 0.0130

You lost nothing until you sell lower  Wink

Better buy more
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:10:45 PM

Thanks to everyone that +1'd my logo.

Here's a bit of an improvement, including what I think would be a good slogan.

my thumb up! Great!!!

Lose the digital cash, just make it digital

The cash bit comes from the name.

private instant digital

or

private instant cash

private instant digital, this works

private instant cash, this less so, as cash refers to money in the physical form of currency, such as banknotes and coins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash

Edit: though I see now from the link, that cash can mean more than just that, especially in bookkeeping and finance contexts.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:12:00 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 12:22:59 AM by Lukas_Jackson

After thinking about it for a while I do still believe a transition period is needed before moving completely away from logos and colors. Maybe after 6 months or something, depending on where we are, we can revise it.

About West Harrison's point, I don't think we have the budget to do "very diligent, deliberate and massive publicity so that everybody knows there is a change taking place." So we will need a transition period.  Also there won't be "constant brand changes". It is just 1 re branding process and it will take a while. But yeah, lets have some fun to warm up to the idea.
The coin have only one year. I don't think we need as long period as 6 months.
We had free publicity for a few days, so many already know what is happening.
Though, I wouldn't change any colors for some period of time

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:12:36 PM

This should absolutely be a full re-brand, done professionally by a reputable firm. It's time for the next level.

I think professionals will have fun with this one as it has lots of possibilities.

Imo, start afresh...remove the Darkcoin D. We were actually just talking about that in irc:

Its just that D is quite unique...it will stand out when compared to other fonts/styles

No no no.

Tip a nod to Darkcoin's origin by changing the D to a reverse C.

This links, Dark and Cash via DASH.

I like that idea. No doubt someone else can execute it much better, but something like this maybe:

/BOOM

Very close.

Also, Morse code should be:

'Money'

because it contains more Dashes and just a few dots

I also still like this one. A bit smaller, obviously.

Also, for the geeks the marketing or tag could include:

-- --- -. . -.--

Money

or

-.-. .- ... ....

cash

or

--. .-. . .- - / .-- .- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / --- - --- ....

great wall of otoh

Grin
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:17:26 PM

Comparison test. Slogans:

Lukas_Jackson

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:19:20 PM

credits : f2000, i just added the slogan.

edit : and this is just me brainstorming

Can you make morse a little smaller and put 1/3 into ''D''?

toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:20:22 PM

Private-instant-digital doesn't work as a slogan because you need to end on a full stop (to ram it home) = single syllable.

The rythm in [1] goes:

Bam..
Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam
Bam

For [2] it's

Bam...
Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam-Bam  <--- fail

or even grammatically:

[1]

noun...
adjective
adjective
noun  <-- we tell the reader what it is here

[2]

noun...
adjective
adjective
adjective  <-- the reader is left hanging

i.e. with [1], you're saying what DASH is in 3 words. A noun preceded by 2 adjectives.

In 2 the reader is left hanging....Private, instant, digital what ?....ah cash! <-- that was what was missing.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:26:05 PM

I still like the name darkcoin more, i think it is the perfect name, and i do not like dash. Should focus more on the tech as oposed to PR as well IMHO.
patrolman

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:28:16 PM

Private-instant-digital doesn't work as a slogan because you need to end on a full stop (to ram it home) = single syllable.

The rythm in [1] goes:

Bam..
Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam
Bam

For [2] it's

Bam...
Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam-Bam  <--- fail

or even grammatically:

[1]

noun...
adjective
adjective
noun

[2]

noun...
adjective
adjective
adjective

i.e. with [2], you're saying what DASH is in 3 words. A noun preceded by 2 adjectives.

In 2 the reader is left hanging....Private, instant, digital what ?....ah cash! <-- that was what was missing.

Here's my attempt squashed down a little and with the above slogan added:

RenegadeMan

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:30:48 PM

I still like the name darkcoin more, i think it is the perfect name, and i do not like dash. Should focus more on the tech as oposed to PR as well IMHO.

I can understand that, however, Darkcoin is no longer just focussed on "being dark"; there's so much more to it and adoption with the name "Darkcoin" will be but a drop in the ocean compared to the whole ocean if it's given a new, far more acceptable and valid name.

BTC:   1KjAPEa3WvhmDGT4jmT9i5P3UPFdFH629e
DASH: Xdr6U5qcAdbuKRrr3xKBb1ySoPq7MKERnB
Salkenex

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:39:24 PM

I'll be away from my machine for another 12 hours or so. As soon as I'm back on it I'll make some of the suggested changes with the slogan. I wasn't as concerned with the slogan as I was the logo so whatever the slogan ends up being it can be easily modified and added to the logo in whatever form it ends up taking.

My 2 duffs regarding the slogan however:

Of the current suggestions, I tend to lean towards "private - instant - digital" simply because it is 3 descriptives of what DASH is. (given that it is assumed that it is a cash of some form). I chose to go with "digital cash" simply to emphasize what DASH meant. (this is me leaning towards how do I explain this to my 78 year old mother. no, she'll never use it, but if she understands what it is then the mass populace will too). I do however, agree with toknormal in the rhythmic attributes of the slogan. It's a tough call, and certainly why the marketing business is such a pain in the ass and I moved to web development instead of graphic design. Smiley

RenegadeMan

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:42:39 PM

okay

did more research and I'm in for DASH

I retract previous statements

That's great Mangled. I was pretty sure you'd come around. Once you start imagining all the ways DASH will be mentioned and referenced, it's no different to how other brands just roll off the tongue.

I can just see a meeting back decades ago when Visa was first being planned for launch. A room full of executives awaits a presentation by one of the team who has announced they've thought of a killer name for this new credit card.

"Oh yeah....what is it?"

"VISA!"

"You're kidding me! WTF! visa! That's a stamp on your bloody passport....are you on drugs? Who in their right mind is going to use a plastic card that's just some stamp in a passport? That's just so bland and uninteresting it'll never work. Get outta here for f^*~'s sake!"

Yet, no one even thinks about what the word visa actually means because (in this context) it now represents something entirely different.

And, in time, so will DASH.

TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 11:43:33 PM

okay

did more research and I'm in for DASH

I retract previous statements

BUT

this is getting a little to "busy"

K.I.S.S.

I like the Morse Code better

Welcome aboard! I thought from your Twitter that you were almost out, I'm glad that's not true. You maybe are going to become a DASH Masternode business operator now... Grin

zombie6

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:45:59 PM

stop this madness,  DRK was doing fine.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:47:31 PM

I tend to lean towards "private - instant - digital" simply because it is 3 descriptives of what DASH is. (given that it is assumed that it is a cash of some form)

Thats the problem. No-one knows what it is. You can't assume that I don't think.

A merchant understands "private, instant cash" in a second. No explaining needed.

He also understand that what he's got right now is "digital" - but it isn't cash. So the 'cash' bit is the distinguishing feature.

(My 2 duffs)
RenegadeMan

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:48:27 PM

stop this madness,  DRK was doing fine as a dark market focussed crypto for anonymous nefarious activity.

Fixed your quote for you.

This thing's way bigger than your narrow little view encompasses.

Lukas_Jackson

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:48:46 PM

Thanks to everyone that +1'd my logo.

Here's a bit of an improvement, including what I think would be a good slogan.

Oh, so it is you who made it.
This one is great. Can you tilt it forward slightly more to see how it looks like?

JGCMiner

Activity: 611

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:51:19 PM

Seems like the majority are rallying around DASH. Maybe this is a good time for a quick poll on darkcointalk just so the naysayers know for a fact that they are a minority faction within the community.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:51:49 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 12:03:06 AM by GhostPlayer

Long time lurker and hodler here - bought the first DRK in early March 2014. Also am a happy owner of several masternodes that are running without any issues for weeks now.

This is my first post and might get a bit long - so please bare with me and be nice Smiley

Overall, I'm quite happy with the idea of the rebranding finally going to be implemented - after reading about it for almost a year.
Now, I'm not a native speaker and I can only speak for myself: DASH sounds just fine to me.
It has always been difficult for me talking to friends about cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin is still just some kind of weird internet money for most of them, used by geeks to buy illegal stuff. So I never even actually tried to talk about or explain Darkcoin - mostly  because of the name and the implications associated with it.

But that's a whole different story with a new name like DASH. DASH doesn't sound bland at all to me - it sounds simple (in a good way), quick (literally), rolls off the tongue easily and there is a lot of room for a brand to be build around it - and that's the important part!
I can also only second the post made by Minotaur26 a couple of pages back regarding Apple: Just imagine yourself speaking to Steve J. or Steve W. back in 1976 and hearing of about a computer company named "Apple" for the very first time - a computer company! Didn't make much sense back then to regular folks, probably doesn't make much sense today. But it just works. Why? Because they build one of the strongest, valuable and respected brands around that name. The Same (on a different level) applies to Uber, Circle, Square, Stripe, Slack, ... - all of them built or are in the middle of building a name and a brand for themselves. But it's not about the name - it's what you make of it!

And just to speak from my own experience after having worked in the design, development and startup area myself for the last 10 years - it just takes time getting used to a new name or design at first. Sometimes it's love at first sight - but that's very, very rare. Now, it's not love at first sight with DASH for me - but it continues to grow on me.

Dash (the detergent) is also available where I live - we luckily don't have any Kardashain stores over here - but there are also a lot of stores selling apples Wink
Now there are a couple of down sides with the name though. The first thing that comes to mind is the searchability and distinguishability. The other thing that really needs to be taken care of is the name of the brand itself and if there are any similarly named brands competing in the same or a similar space - and I'm also speaking from experience here. I really do hope the foundation is on top of this, because we definitely can't afford to be forced to do another rebranding in a couple months just because something has been overlooked in that area.

I'm sad to see valuable community members like vertoe leave because of (apparently) bad communication between Evan, the foundation boad and the dev team. Now I don't know what went on behind the scenes exactly and I also didn't quite like the way the foundation and Evan handled the rebranding anouncement and especially not informing some (or all?) of the developers (just assuming that's the way it happened, based on Evan's update) beforehand. And just as a side note: This hasn't been the first time, that some announcement has been kind of screwed up - so this is definitely something that needs to be looked into and worked on!
But we will never be able to get everyone on the same boat regarding the selection of a new name - so some hard choices will have to be made and someone (or some group) will have to take them. Some people will like the changes and continue to support the coin and community around it, new users will come aboard and some long-standing members will leave.

In the end, we should all be aware that this rebranding will not be an easy undertaking - but it's necessary to take that step. It'll take time, a lot of effort and also a lot of discussion/coordination. So the proposal made by Evan to hire a company that will be taking care of establishing a new brand is a great (although probably quite expensive) idea - if it's done the right way. However, there still needs to be defined what that company will be taking care of exactly (design/wording/PR/etc) and who's going to select the company and who will pay for that.

One thing that I still don't see a suitable solution or proposal for yet is on which level certain types of discussions will have to take place and who exactly will be able to take part and have a say in them - or to put it in another way: What kind of issues and topics will be discussed on which level (devs, foundation board, foundation members, dev, masternode owners, community members, etc...). But that's probably something that should be talked about and defined on a foundation board level first.

Just also wanted to add a small remark regarding the "morse code" idea:
Now first of all, thanks for getting involved and coming up with the idea, f2000. However, I'm really not sure, if we want DASH (or whatever the name will be) to be associated with a technology that's more than 180 years old, slow (lots of "beeps" for every single character) and complicated (one needs to know what to make of all those beeps in order to understand the message or how it works).

I know that these are only the first small steps and ideas towards establishing a new brand and identity for Darkcoin - and we haven't even really settled on a new name yet. But there are a lot of facts and pitfalls that need to be considered if we want to get it right. And we really have to!

Now there is just one more thing I wanted to point out and close my first post with: The technology behind the name is still the same and it will stay that way. But in the last couple of months, DRK has evolved to something more than just being "dark" (in the sense of being anonymous) and it will continue to evolve and grow stronger.
First it became anonymous (or another term that I prefer "private") with Darksend and the Masternode network. Next it became instantaneous (or at least very fast) with InstantX. The next steps in its evolution will make transactions even more private with Mastermore Blinding and Masternode IP obfuscation, more secure for regular users with 2FA and more scalable - if the ideas Evan announced in his post (and no one is sadly really talking about at the moment) will indeed work out. But I'm just gonna trust him on this.

All of these innovations and efforts could be summed up in just one simple value proposition: Make it more usable!
And in that case, "Darkcoin" simply isn't appropriate and doesn't appeal to a wider audience or userbase.

IMHO, it simply isn't the right name anymore to capture the spirit, believes and ideas of what Evan, all other devs, the foundation and community members are working on and trying to achieve.

Just my two duffs, though…

+1 - Welcome to the loony bin! Really enjoyed reading that, and vastly agree.

All in all I think we are moving faster than a VC funded software house. We just keep rolling out. Based on a self-structured communal co-op. I am both amazed and proud! ... I don't have the full details, but vertoe's unfortunate leaving us has much to be learnt upon. A reminder, vertoe is not the first, but the first one to leave by his own terms and reasons. And some of his reasons are valid.

In any generic non pyramidal structure, like a farmer's co-op, an independent body is created as interface between the production side, and the interested parties, as mediator. In this case its the Darkcoin Foundation. It only just now took off, its like a baby still being breast fed and can't even say "ma-ma" yet - I used this analogy earlier.

This is still Evan's party. Lets not forget he did quit his job and said he's put aside 2 years of his life to dedicate himself completely to this project. 1 year has gone by, and look at how much was achieved !! - Because of Evan. Not to to put down anyone else at all !! There are loads of hard working people in the team, some can't even code. But the man with the vision and the skills. 1 year has gone by and he just delivers as promised, day in day out...

Evan did mess-up (in a way I understand waaay better now, and its more lack of understanding of the driving force behind the originating statement, than the word choice), but not in any anti-crypto-end-all-soul-crushing-I-am-the-boss way. He's the guy who has to step up and hold the helms, he's the guy with the vision and the talent to pull it off. His responsibility is not to communicate proficiently with us, but to code and to lead this project.

Only when we have a Foundation that can stand on its own can we be able to mediate between the production and interested parties. Meaning, a more rigorous internal structure and PR organisation, and, for example, reviewed and pondered official statements.

It is unfortunate vertoe left, but the point he tried to make by his actions did shout volumes to me about his character, despite his obvious talent.

Pages: « 1 ... 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 4225 4226 4227 4228 4229 4230 4231 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 4237 4238 4239 4240 4241 4242 4243 4244 4245 4246 4247 4248 4249 4250 4251 4252 4253 4254 4255 4256 4257 4258 4259 4260 4261 4262 4263 4264 4265 4266 [4267] 4268 4269 4270 4271 4272 4273 4274 4275 4276 4277 4278 4279 4280 4281 4282 4283 4284 4285 4286 4287 4288 4289 4290 4291 4292 4293 4294 4295 4296 4297 4298 4299 4300 4301 4302 4303 4304 4305 4306 4307 4308 4309 4310 4311 4312 4313 4314 4315 4316 4317 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: