Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:00:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5032 5033 5034 5035 5036 5037 5038 5039 5040 5041 5042 5043 5044 5045 5046 5047 5048 5049 5050 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5056 5057 5058 5059 5060 5061 5062 5063 5064 5065 5066 5067 5068 5069 5070 5071 5072 5073 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 5079 5080 5081 [5082] 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 5088 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 5124 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 5130 5131 5132 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722673 times)
blajde

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:45:30 PM

If my AWS shutdown my server and I have no back up. Did I lose my coins?
UdjinM6
Legendary

Activity: 1318
Merit: 1040

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:49:30 PM

If my AWS shutdown my server and I have no back up. Did I lose my coins?
No, if you are using Hot/Cold MN setup your coins never leave your local wallet.

DASH: XsV4GHVKGTjQFvwB7c6mYsGV3Mxf7iser6
HinnomTX

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:31:10 PM

Looks like gmaxwell is pushing for more privacy in Bitcoin:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/6568

One of the responses is intriguing, and highlights a known weakness in CoinJoin (and also affects Darksend):

Quote from: cjepson
The problem with CoinJoin is the difficulty in ensuring most or all of the participants are not malicious. If you have 4 inputs and 3 of them are an attacker in a CoinJoin, then the attacker knows which input and output you own. This gives the illusion of privacy, which may be worse. As with all of the input mixing methods, including ring signatures with ZKPs to prevent double spending, there is the possibility of sybil attack which makes them less attractive as privacy solutions.

This got me thinking, what if your client could appear as two (or more) clients by submitting two DarkSend inputs to be mixed nearly simultaneously (with possibly different numbers of mixing sessions)? Now a malicious attacker would be unable to completely back out from his own mixes which inputs are owned by whom.  Put in the above terms, if the attacker is submitting 3 inputs and your client is submitting 2 (or more) inputs, the attacker cannot know which outputs are yours. Put another way, you would use your own wallet's coins to provide additional liquidity.

Obviously this technique would not be immune to network traffic analysis, but what's recorded on the blockchain would preserve the 'plausible deniability' of coin ownership.

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
Dash is Digital Cash.  https://www.dash.org
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:44:11 PM

One of the responses is intriguing, and highlights a known weakness in CoinJoin (and also affects Darksend):

The problem with CoinJoin is the difficulty in ensuring most or all of the participants are not malicious. If you have 4 inputs and 3 of them are an attacker in a CoinJoin, then the attacker knows which input and output you own. This gives the illusion of privacy, which may be worse. As with all of the input mixing methods, including ring signatures with ZKPs to prevent double spending, there is the possibility of sybil attack which makes them less attractive as privacy solutions.

This got me thinking, what if your client could appear as two (or more) clients by submitting two DarkSend inputs to be mixed nearly simultaneously (with possibly different numbers of mixing sessions)? Now a malicious attacker would be unable to completely back out from his own mixes which inputs are owned by whom.  Put in the above terms, if the attacker is submitting 3 inputs and your client is submitting 2 (or more) inputs, the attacker cannot know which outputs are yours. Put another way, you would use your own wallet's coins to provide additional liquidity.

Obviously this technique would not be immune to network traffic analysis, but what's recorded on the blockchain would preserve the 'plausible deniability' of coin ownership.

But don't those odds get quite low with multiple rounds of Darksend?

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
HinnomTX

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:49:26 PM

This got me thinking, what if your client could appear as two (or more) clients by submitting two DarkSend inputs to be mixed nearly simultaneously (with possibly different numbers of mixing sessions)? Now a malicious attacker would be unable to completely back out from his own mixes which inputs are owned by whom.  Put in the above terms, if the attacker is submitting 3 inputs and your client is submitting 2 (or more) inputs, the attacker cannot know which outputs are yours. Put another way, you would use your own wallet's coins to provide additional liquidity.

What you are thinking of is protection from being identified by the masternodes. By using multiple masternodes, each masternode only has the information to link inputs and outputs for one DarkSend mix. If I'm not mistaken, this does not protect against a sybil attack.

If the attacker is acting as a continuous 'liquidity provider' with, say 3 wallets, he could still fully back out an 8 round DarkSend mix with just you. The outputs that don't come back to his wallets are yours. Right?

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:53:29 PM

The article is flawed because it assumes that Bitcoin XT advocates assume that a larger block size will scale and be used indefinitely. On the contrary, everybody understands that a completely different system must be developed in order to properly scale the network to Visa levels. Bitcoin XT isn't trying to scale up to Visa levels...it's just trying to buy everyone some time while Lightning Network and other solutions are developed and tested and hopefully implemented.

tl;dr Increasing block sizes aren't meant as a permanent solution, they are meant as a stop-gap to buy time for the solution to be developed. Core devs just want to stick their head in the sand and hope that 7 TPS is sufficient until the eventual miracle solution just materializes and lands in their lap.

Dash - Digital Cash
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:56:53 PM

This got me thinking, what if your client could appear as two (or more) clients by submitting two DarkSend inputs to be mixed nearly simultaneously (with possibly different numbers of mixing sessions)? Now a malicious attacker would be unable to completely back out from his own mixes which inputs are owned by whom.  Put in the above terms, if the attacker is submitting 3 inputs and your client is submitting 2 (or more) inputs, the attacker cannot know which outputs are yours. Put another way, you would use your own wallet's coins to provide additional liquidity.

What you are thinking of is protection from being identified by the masternodes. By using multiple masternodes, each masternode only has the information to link inputs and outputs for one DarkSend mix. If I'm not mistaken, this does not protect against a sybil attack.

If the attacker is acting as a continuous 'liquidity provider' with, say 3 wallets, he could still fully back out an 8 round DarkSend mix with just you. The outputs that don't come back to his wallets are yours. Right?

Yes, if he's the only one on the network that's mixing other than you. That's got to be pretty unlikely for a full 8 round Darksend. But you raise a good point! Impossible is way better than unlikely.

Dash - Digital Cash
Melech

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:08:48 PM

The article is flawed because it assumes that Bitcoin XT advocates assume that a larger block size will scale and be used indefinitely. On the contrary, everybody understands that a completely different system must be developed in order to properly scale the network to Visa levels. Bitcoin XT isn't trying to scale up to Visa levels...it's just trying to buy everyone some time while Lightning Network and other solutions are developed and tested and hopefully implemented.

tl;dr Increasing block sizes aren't meant as a permanent solution, they are meant as a stop-gap to buy time for the solution to be developed. Core devs just want to stick their head in the sand and hope that 7 TPS is sufficient until the eventual miracle solution just materializes and lands in their lap.

It seems to me that the block-size limit was originally an anti-spam measure, that is now trying to be used to force people into paying higher fees.

Is it just me, or is this the wrong way to force fees?
Is there another reason to limit block size besides anti-spam, or forcing fees?

If it is only about fees, its definitely a stupid solution...
Limiting transactions per second to force fees is equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot to get free surgery...

To enforce fees... you enforce fees in the code... right?  Make fees required and set a minimum?  Why debate about block size when they really want to enforce fees?

▄▄▓▓█▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓██▓▄▄
             ▄▓█▓▀                ▀▓█▓█
          ▄▓█▓      ▄▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄▄      ▀█▓▄
        ▄▓██    ▄▓▓██████████████▓▓▄    ██▓▄
       ▓██    ▓▓████████▓▀▀██████████▓    ██▓
      ▓█░   █▓█████▓▀ ▓██  ▓██ ▀▓▓█████▓    ▓▓
     ▓█    ▓█████▀  ▄▓▓██████▓▓▓▄  ▓████▓    ██
    ▓██   █████▓ ▄▓▓  ▄██░▐███▄ ▀▓▓ ░▓███▓   ██▓
    ██    █████ █▓  ▓████░▐████▓█ █▓ ░█████   ██
    ██   ▐████ ▐█  ▓█████░▐██████░ █▌ █████   ██░
    ██   ▐████ ▐██ ▓█████░▐█████▓ █▓ ░█████   ██░
    ██    ████▓ █▓█ ▀▓▓██░▐██▓▓  █▓  ▓████    ██
    ▐█▓  ░████▓▄  ▀▓▓▄▄██░▐███▄▓▓  █▓████░   ██▌
     ▐██   ▓████▓▄▄  ▀██░▐███  ▄▓▓████▓░   ██▓
      ▐█▓    █▓██████▓▓██████▓▓████████    ▐█▓
       ▐█▓▄    ▀▓██████████████████▓▀    ▄▓██
         ▐█▓▄     ▀▀▓▓████████▓▓▀▀     ▄▓██
            ▓██▄                    ▄█▓▓▀
              ▀▓█▓▓▄▄          ▄▄▓▓█▓▀
                   ▀▀▓▓██████▓▓▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Together we can change
❍ ❍ ❍ ❍ ❍ the internet ❍ ❍ ❍ ❍ ❍
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  Social Media
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
████████████     █▀███▌
███   █████        ▐██▌
███               ▐███▌
███               ████▌
████             █████▌
█████▄▄         ██████▌
████         ▄████████▌
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
▄▓█████████████████████▓▓▄
▓██████████████████████████▌
███████████████████▓▓▀  ▓██▌
██████████████▓▀▀       ▓██▌
████████▓▀▀      ▄█    ▐███▌
███▓▀        ▄▄▓▀      ▓███▌
███▓▄▄▄   ▄▓█▓         ████▌
████████▓ ▓▌          ▓████▌
█████████▓    ▄       █████▌
██████████▌ ▄▓██▓▄   ▐█████▌
███████████████████▓▓██████▌
▐██████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
               ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄
             ▄███`  ,▄▄,   ▀██▄
            ▐██▀  ▄███████   ██▌
          ,▄███   ████████▌  ▐██▄,
      ,▄███████▄  █▄▄██▄▄█  ▄███████▄▄
     ██████████████████████████████████,
    ▐████▌   ██████████████████   ▐█████
     ▀████▄▄████████▀  "████████▄▄████▀
       `▀████████████▄▄████████████▀▀
            '▀▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀
         ▄▄                      ▄▄
        ███          ▄▄⌐         ███
       ███           ██▌          ▀██
      ███            ██▌           ▀██
                     ██▌
blajde

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:29:07 PM

Is hosting a masternode user friendly?
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:29:57 PM

V12.0.45 is working great for me, really impressive work, all the new tools, wallet repair, backups,  syncing budgets, sporks, everything is super slick. It feels like a huge step forward, looking forward to what we can do with the budget system.  Cool

v12.0.45 crashed all my MNs every two days. Still can't find the problem. Very frustrating. Since 8 days without any payment for all my  MNs.

Same problem here running the .45 daemon. I did catch an error in the console after a crash, but I don't understand what it refers to:
Code:
~/dash-0.12.0/bin$ terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

I'm running on a small digitalocean droplet with Ubuntu 14.04 server. All up to date and otherwise working as expected. My dash masternode seems to stop 1-2 times every 24-48h so I need to constantly keep an eye on it.
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:30:46 PM

You might need to understand a tiny bit of Linux, but yes it's pretty easy.
blajde

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:33:20 PM

So you are saying that if I dont have any interest in linux it is close to impossible?
salmion

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:41:46 PM

So you are saying that if I dont have any interest in linux it is close to impossible?

Not at all - but you do have to be willing to learn - something - lol

Or use one of the hosting services splawlik, node40, flare etc
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:46:13 PM

This is true - nearly effortless at that point :-D

And trust-less. You keep your coins in your own wallet Wink
Sub-Ether

Activity: 434

Quantum entangled and jump drive assisted messages

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:46:45 PM

You can have the remote machine as windows, depends if your host/location allows the option.

Dash is 27.3 times faster with syncing and updating than Bitcoin and 93.7 times faster than Monero. Bitcoin (v0.11.0) has a Tao ratio 11.2% faster than bitcoin (v0.10.0) release.
Dash (v.0.12.0.49) = Tao sync ratio = 0.15 seconds / hour of update || Dash (v.0.11.2.23) = Tao sync ratio = 0.24 seconds / hour of update. V12 versus V11 speedup = +36.5%
Bitcoin (v.0.11.0) = Tao sync ratio = 4.14 seconds / hour of update || Monero (v.0.41.1)  = Tao sync ratio = 14.2 seconds / hour of update
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:06:32 PM

Yes, if he's the only one on the network that's mixing other than you. That's got to be pretty unlikely for a full 8 round Darksend. But you raise a good point! Impossible is way better than unlikely.

The system does not mix with the same partners through several rounds so I dont think this would apply to Darksend.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:19:24 PM

Holy McOff-Topic !!

Ethereum has just surpassed LTC in trading volume  Shocked

This is great news as there is work being done to interconnect the two ...  Cheesy  Dash and Ethereum are a match made in Skynet... errr .. heaven.  Grin
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:23:54 PM

Greece-doms not staying out of the news.

http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2015/08/18/this-is-sparta-1000-bitcoin-atms-are-coming-to-greece/
blajde

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:26:00 PM

This is true - nearly effortless at that point :-D

I am busy learning other stuf.
Point being dont limit user group when key is expansion.
HinnomTX

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:29:14 PM

The system does not mix with the same partners through several rounds so I dont think this would apply to Darksend.
One has to assume all incoming mixing partners are potentially malicious. My original point is that when you have N inputs from a sybil attacker and 1 input from yourself, the sybil attacker knows your inputs and outputs. It shouldn't matter if it's CoinJoin or DarkSend. The new mixing partners can simply be more DarkSend mixes from wallets controlled by the attacker running in round robin fashion. However, once we have N inputs from a sybil attacker and 2 inputs from two trusted parties, then the sybil attacker cannot ascertain the trusted parties' inputs and outputs. By having two sets of mixes that you trust are not malicious, you suddenly have an effective countermeasure against the sybil attack. In the world of crypto you can't trust anyone but yourself, so why not let the trusted parties be two separate mixes from your wallet?

Pages: « 1 ... 5032 5033 5034 5035 5036 5037 5038 5039 5040 5041 5042 5043 5044 5045 5046 5047 5048 5049 5050 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5056 5057 5058 5059 5060 5061 5062 5063 5064 5065 5066 5067 5068 5069 5070 5071 5072 5073 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 5079 5080 5081 [5082] 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 5088 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 5124 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 5130 5131 5132 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: