Bitcoin Forum
October 06, 2024, 09:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9723364 times)
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:14:25 AM

is now a good time to buy? Haven't really followed anything dark related

It's a great time to buy. DarkCoin is not a hype and pump/dump coin. It has attracted attention through actual value by means of the soon-to-be-beta (actually-in-alpha) DarkSend functionality (in addition to 11 different hashing algorithms which make it ASIC resitant, Kimoto Gravity Well (KGW) which makes it safe from multipools for example and adjusts difficulty every block and a great professional developer). This new feature will allow you to send coins anonymously directly from the wallet without passing by TOR (darkweb) or through a mixing service which requires trust in the operator of said service and also involve fees (2%). It is a trustless solution straight from the wallet and it will be the first coin to achieve such a feat. It experienced natural growth, going from around 0.00005 BTC when first hitting markets to 0.0025 BTC without any kind of useless hype (e.g. Maxcoin).

If you look at the price now though, it is quite a bit lower, ranging from 0.001 to 0.0014 depending on the market. What happened? One of the exchanges on which DRK trades (C-CEX) had a malfunction/hack which allowed a user to gain access to hundreds of BTC for free, which he couldn't cash out. He figured out that by buying DarkCoin, he could then transfer it out of the exchange easily, this caused a huge spike in buys since he put in around 300 BTC worth and bought up all DarkCoins up until 0.0075 BTC or 7.5 millibits. He then proceeded to transfer all those coins to another exchange (Poloniex) and started dumping as much as possible, as quickly as possible, with no regard for price. This caused a chain reaction which lasted for around 4 days. At first the coin recovered admirably to the dumps, staying very close to its regular price after a few dumps. After two days though, the price couldn't hold up anymore and we suspect that a lot of very early adopters started getting scared and began dumping as well.

Through some investigation and through a mixture of guilt, the "hacker" (who claims he actually isn't a hacker and the BTC simply appeared due to a mistake), came back and contacted the right people to start giving back the BTC he had taken from the exchange, since a lot of other people were affected and had their funds frozen. Of course he had lost a lot of value by filling very cheap buy orders for DRK so he can't possibly give it all back but the important thing is the dumps are stopped now and the coin has stabilized again. It has found solid ground and is starting to rise again. This rise will be fueled by the 3rd DarkSend alpha test which is happening tomorrow and after that, the developer (eduffield) has said that the beta will come soon as the code is very solid.

You have a unique chance right now to buy into a coin which really isn't supposed to be available at these prices anymore due to its real value. Only reason it's low right now is because of the situation I explained above. It belongs on the top of the charts as much as other coins with added functionality such as Peercoin/Namecoin for example. It's not a simple clone like 99% of other coins and it's here to stay.

TL;DR - Great time to buy

Can someone explain some basic things to me:

First, source to above story?

Second, how can someone randomly/ accidentally get BTC in their account/ wallet?

Third, how could it be hard to transfer them out?? Its bitcoin! This is something I've never understood. When I hear stories like "You can't cash out BTC from {Exchange}, I'm always like WTF? Cant you just send to an address. Sure, confirmations can take time, and there can be other delays, buy when are BTC impossible to move? Once you own them, isn't it irreversible?

Thanks,

n00b :-)

You only own them if you have them on an address where you own the private key. If you put them on another site, like an exchange, you give up ownership to the site holder. It's no longer in an adress you control. Then you have no more control over the money than if you put it in a regular bank or something like that.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
FreedomLives

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:16:52 AM

Is DarkCoin/ DarkSend completely anonymous? This is a blunt question and I'm not trying to troll. I hear a lot of back and forth with this, with lots of tech talk I don't really understand.

From what I can tell, it seems that even with DarkSend, its simply harder, but not impossible to trace it. I've even hear this from DarkSend supporters, with one saying, vaguely

"yeah, not impossible to trace, esp for small operations like police, banks, hackers, etc. But the NSA could prob trace it if they wanted"

I'm not saying that not good enough. That would be a step in the right direction, but represents merely a head step in the technological arms race. If police departments wanted an easy way to trace any crypto, couldn't a private enterprise specialize in doing just that in a cost competitive way, and offer it as an affordable service?

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:20:16 AM

is now a good time to buy? Haven't really followed anything dark related

It's a great time to buy. DarkCoin is not a hype and pump/dump coin. It has attracted attention through actual value by means of the soon-to-be-beta (actually-in-alpha) DarkSend functionality (in addition to 11 different hashing algorithms which make it ASIC resitant, Kimoto Gravity Well (KGW) which makes it safe from multipools for example and adjusts difficulty every block and a great professional developer). This new feature will allow you to send coins anonymously directly from the wallet without passing by TOR (darkweb) or through a mixing service which requires trust in the operator of said service and also involve fees (2%). It is a trustless solution straight from the wallet and it will be the first coin to achieve such a feat. It experienced natural growth, going from around 0.00005 BTC when first hitting markets to 0.0025 BTC without any kind of useless hype (e.g. Maxcoin).

If you look at the price now though, it is quite a bit lower, ranging from 0.001 to 0.0014 depending on the market. What happened? One of the exchanges on which DRK trades (C-CEX) had a malfunction/hack which allowed a user to gain access to hundreds of BTC for free, which he couldn't cash out. He figured out that by buying DarkCoin, he could then transfer it out of the exchange easily, this caused a huge spike in buys since he put in around 300 BTC worth and bought up all DarkCoins up until 0.0075 BTC or 7.5 millibits. He then proceeded to transfer all those coins to another exchange (Poloniex) and started dumping as much as possible, as quickly as possible, with no regard for price. This caused a chain reaction which lasted for around 4 days. At first the coin recovered admirably to the dumps, staying very close to its regular price after a few dumps. After two days though, the price couldn't hold up anymore and we suspect that a lot of very early adopters started getting scared and began dumping as well.

Through some investigation and through a mixture of guilt, the "hacker" (who claims he actually isn't a hacker and the BTC simply appeared due to a mistake), came back and contacted the right people to start giving back the BTC he had taken from the exchange, since a lot of other people were affected and had their funds frozen. Of course he had lost a lot of value by filling very cheap buy orders for DRK so he can't possibly give it all back but the important thing is the dumps are stopped now and the coin has stabilized again. It has found solid ground and is starting to rise again. This rise will be fueled by the 3rd DarkSend alpha test which is happening tomorrow and after that, the developer (eduffield) has said that the beta will come soon as the code is very solid.

You have a unique chance right now to buy into a coin which really isn't supposed to be available at these prices anymore due to its real value. Only reason it's low right now is because of the situation I explained above. It belongs on the top of the charts as much as other coins with added functionality such as Peercoin/Namecoin for example. It's not a simple clone like 99% of other coins and it's here to stay.

TL;DR - Great time to buy

Can someone explain some basic things to me:

First, source to above story?

Let's just say that there are at least 100 first hand witnesses here and tens of us that got our BTCs stolen on c-cex. The incident was also discussed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=485029

The coin price, pre-ccex incident, was ranging from 0.0019 to 0.0024 - and after the drop from the dumps, it's rising up again. You can see the spike here: https://c-cex.com/index.html?p=drk-btc

"yeah, not impossible to trace, esp for small operations like police, banks, hackers, etc. But the NSA could prob trace it if they wanted"

I'm not saying that not good enough. That would be a step in the right direction, but represents merely a head step in the technological arms race. If police departments wanted an easy way to trace any crypto, couldn't a private enterprise specialize in doing just that in a cost competitive way, and offer it as an affordable service?

Private enterprises don't have NSA-grade resources, nor do they "own" the internet and computing devices which are implanted with all sorts of backdoors.
radi324

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Muniti creator

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 10:25:13 AM

which version of sgminer are you guys using please?

Should use sph-sgminer (v4.1.0) from this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=475795.0

Faster than the original sgminer for Darkcoin by 10% on my R9 290.

I'm getting the error "Kernel darkcoin is experimental" when I try to run it

EDIT - nvm it's working now, thanks!

[MUN] Muniti - Malta's National Cryptocurrency - http://www.muniticoin.com/

Bitcointalk thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=545886.0
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 10:25:39 AM

Is DarkCoin/ DarkSend completely anonymous? This is a blunt question and I'm not trying to troll. I hear a lot of back and forth with this, with lots of tech talk I don't really understand.

From what I can tell, it seems that even with DarkSend, its simply harder, but not impossible to trace it. I've even hear this from DarkSend supporters, with one saying, vaguely

In indepth answer would be quite complex and probably only the lead developer is capable of answering accurately. The source isn't released so what you hear anywhere else is likely to be speculation or hearsay.

I've been talking with eduffield to try to get a bit of a layman's understanding of the ins and outs of darksend. A rough overview by my understanding:

Darksend affords better anonymity than normal clear transactions. It's not perfect anonymity, but it gets better as the network adoption of darksend increases, to the point where it may be extremely difficult/infeasible for anyone to trace a transaction. There may be exploits found, and I'm sure the devs will be actively working to find & patch them. Already one denial of service vulnerability has been found, and the dev is currently writing in a fix for it for the next release.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:44:49 AM

I posted it before, but this is the DarkSend blockchain with a couple of transactions I made:

FreedomLives

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:09:24 AM

In indepth answer would be quite complex and probably only the lead developer is capable of answering accurately. The source isn't released so what you hear anywhere else is likely to be speculation or hearsay.

I've been talking with eduffield to try to get a bit of a layman's understanding of the ins and outs of darksend. A rough overview by my understanding:

Darksend affords better anonymity than normal clear transactions. It's not perfect anonymity, but it gets better as the network adoption of darksend increases, to the point where it may be extremely difficult/infeasible for anyone to trace a transaction. There may be exploits found, and I'm sure the devs will be actively working to find & patch them. Already one denial of service vulnerability has been found, and the dev is currently writing in a fix for it for the next release.

Just the kind of answer I was looking for. Its in line with my general understanding too.

IMHO, I don't expect perfect privacy right away. DRK is one rung on the evolutionary ladder of cryptos in general.

I think the coin has promise, but even if it collapses, many man hours were spent marching in the right direction.

The Alc-coin market is a strange beast, with lots of chances for short term speculation with low market caps, where, if you time the market perfectly, you could make a few BTC's! Whoopdy s#@t. I guess its not that crazy to see the more major/ blatant scams going on, but still, its rarely for any amount of life changing money.

Develop something great - a good product - and you can do well. The community, and crypto- concept, will benefit as well. And even more to the point: develop something conceptually good/ innovative, behave in an above the board, professional manner, and who cares if the project ultimately collapses? You'll be in a much better position to join a reputable dev team down the line.

Yeah, wild west and all that, but I see so much short sighted-ness; not here bit in the crypto dev markets in general! Think 5 year plans, not about which coin will EXPLODE/ be the next BTC/ crypto gold rush. Think about how you will advance yourself/ skill set/ thinking in order to be a participant in pushing the general technology forward.

For all the BTC = Digi-gold analogies, I think the one below is worth mentioning, as I believe it applies perfectly to what is going on in the crypto world in general:

Business and entrepreneurs made far more money from famed 1849 San Francisco gold rush than the speculators ever did. The general crypto boom is over. Those who saw 8000%+ profits from BTC in < 2 years were the lucky few. Who we be the Levi Strauss of the crypto era - a man who started a small business selling new-fanged denim jeans to the gold miners back in '49. Perhaps you've heard Levi's?

DRK looks interesting enough, but whether or not it shoots up and outrageous amount to $20, or even $100 by next year is largely irrelevant, and cannot possibly make anything more than funny money compared to the fortune's that will be made by those who make cryptos usable, secure, feature rich, etc. Even law firms specializing in the necessary new wave of crypto-centric law will make millions more than most large scale investors in nearly every new coin.

/Rant

I'm happy to see a consensus among some posters here to NOT pump this coin because it will kill it. Thats awesome, and actually impresses me more than DRK haha.

The devs should go SLOW! Take you time. Get it right the first time. Beating Zerocoin to market, media hype, etc, ignore most of that. Focus on building a good product.

Yeah, it'll have bugs! Yeah, randos will DDOS the shit out of it. Admit your errors, ask for help, and keep acting responsibly as you go. Dont compromise the project by rushing for small profits.  

Best of luck.

Oh, and could you have SR2 announce they are now accepting DRK, even while in BETA, k, thx, bia, durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :-/

boubou

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:33:40 AM

I really can't manage to have stable mining with my 290: started at 2.4, and 30 min later I'm at 2.1 with memory switching between 1500 and 150mhs.
It does this with all my cards, someone fixed this with a bios modification or custom memory tweak?

BEHNZiP6UZunp41vurNaQi4r2hvgG57yzi : BdG
child_harold

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:44:08 AM

Updated Mac Client 0.8.9.2!   (updated 2nd March 2014)

link = https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9wo6drrffjw4am/DarkCoin-Qt-v0.8.9.2-MacOSX.zip

zip md5 = a8d3a09b863c3efa428f73744d713dba

Please consider donating a small sum if you use the Mac wallet, thank you!

DRK: XxR1ixRziVcAxoSgjkaRvNJtu4jSYHgnkj

Cant see any DarkSend button, what am I missing?

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:46:03 AM

I really can't manage to have stable mining with my 290: started at 2.4, and 30 min later I'm at 2.1 with memory switching between 1500 and 150mhs.
It does this with all my cards, someone fixed this with a bios modification or custom memory tweak?

Check this thread also for help on the 290s https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=475795.0;all
bit0x

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:55:56 AM

How many coins is now the limit? I remeber there were some debate earlier, but I can't remeber how it ended

84M

But it will be not soon. This year total coins will be <10Mil

CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:59:42 AM

link = https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9wo6drrffjw4am/DarkCoin-Qt-v0.8.9.2-MacOSX.zip

the betas are only being released by eduffield, compiled... no source available yet

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:01:51 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 02:11:41 PM by AlexGR

The general crypto boom is over. Those who saw 8000%+ profits from BTC in < 2 years were the lucky few. Who we be the Levi Strauss of the crypto era - a man who started a small business selling new-fanged denim jeans to the gold miners back in '49. Perhaps you've heard Levi's?

I think cryptos in general have a lot of potential. I mean most people don't even know what Bitcoin is, let alone altcoins. And, if you factor in that around three quarters of the planet live in countries with high inflation rate (not EUR, GBP, USD etc - which of course are inflated too but to a lesser degree), cryptos could be a nice alternative to the national currency - and much more convenient than gold for trade purposes.

DRK looks interesting enough, but whether or not it shoots up and outrageous amount to $20, or even $100 by next year is largely irrelevant,

Ah, well, I mean aurora is at 45$ when Lite is <15. And when you put the facts down, like 300k iceland citizens vs 450mn market cap, it's like 1.5k USD per icelander  Roll Eyes Yeah, that will end up well...

Darkcoin is providing a second option vs the monopoly of transparency in which ther coins are in. This means that if someone wants their crypto deposits / crypto transactions to be more private they'll have to move over to DRK. The transparent market is at 100% right now while the more-private market is at near 0%. In terms of "market growth potential" what will happen should be pretty easy to figure out.

With a market cap of ~8bn (BTC+other alts) to 3mn (DARKcoin), the prospect of capital flowing toward the DRK side is "significant". Even if one per cent of the "transparent" market moves to the more private market, we're talking about 80mn USD boost that is there to share for DRK or other anon coins which may follow - and they will not be necessarily mutually exclusive (one could practice transferring money through 2-3 anon coins, implementing different solutions, for extra safety / privacy). Needless to say what may happen if tax authorities start to crack down on BTC. The "just 1%" may suddenly become several % - with a corresponding boost in value of the private coins.

I mean, from a market perspective, and with such prospects being there, even if the anon market is shared by 2-3-5 different coins in the long run, this is a 9-digit to 10-digit market (xxx millions to billions) that they will share between them. Current market cap of a few million USD may seem like a joke by then. With such fundamentals, who needs hype, or pump and dumps?
supporter

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:04:36 PM

Why https://www2.coinmine.pl/drk/ pool is not listed in OP?
child_harold

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:05:09 PM

the betas are only being released by eduffield, compiled... no source available yet

thanks! I can hardly wait…

elbereth

Activity: 54

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 12:10:47 PM

Too big. Was several times over 51% of total hashing. So I guess it is not listed so that newcomers don't use it.
There are a lot of alternatives, even P2Pools with nodes almost all around the world.
SanHolo

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:12:11 PM

Can't mine this Sad

sph-sgminer (v4.1.0) is missing zlib1.dll
sgminer says -a is an unrecognized option. If i delete "-a X11" all my shares are rejected (share above target)
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:13:07 PM

thanks! I can hardly wait…

Indeed, the latest Mac wallet featuring DarkSend will be build as soon as the source is available.

The wallet posted is the current official release, v0.8.9.2. Sorry for misunderstanding.
JGCMiner

Activity: 611
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:14:09 PM

Becuase recently it was WAY too big with like over 80% of the net hashrate. It is different now, but back then the pool operator was not cooperating by closing registrations at the devs request so Eduffield must have removed it.

Last thing we need is it getting too big again so I say leave it unlisted.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:26:20 PM

Darkcoin is providing a second option vs the monopoly of transparency in which ther coins are in. This means that if someone wants their crypto deposits / crypto transactions to be more private they'll have to move over to DRK. The transparent market is at 100% right now while the more-private market is at near 0%. In terms of "market growth potential" what will happen should be pretty easy to figure out.

With a market cap of ~8bn (BTC+other alts) to 3mn (DARKcoin), the prospect of capital flowing toward the DRK side is "significant". Even if one per cent of the "transparent" market moves to the more private market, we're talking about 80mn USD boost that is there to share for DRK or other anon coins which may follow - and they will not be necessarily mutually exclusive (one could practice transferring money through 2-3 anon coins, implementing different solutions, for extra safety / privacy). Needless to say what may happen if tax authorities start to crack down on BTC. The "just 1%" may suddenly become several % - with a corresponding boost in value of the private coins.

I mean, from a market perspective, and with such prospects being there, even if the anon market is shared by 2-3-5 different coins in the long run, this is a 9-digit to 10-digit market (xxx millions to billions) that they will share between them. Current market cap of a few million USD may seem like a joke by then. With such fundamentals, who needs hype, or pump and dumps?

Great viewpoint. I hadn't seen it like that. Thanks.
Pages: « 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: