Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:46:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 [585] 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722503 times)
blajde

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:09:25 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 10:02:29 AM by blajde

Hey guys, first off. Love this coin, love all you guys putting all the hard work i love everything but I need someone to help me out here.

I have a really big amount of darks, ive been non stop buying with the daily profits i get from trading btc so i buy around 100 a day, its been 1month now so i have a decent amount of darks and im loving this coin because it seems to be stable with a great future.

This is my concern. I am seeing a trend, people are cashing out btc and getting the fk out of this whole currency system.

This makes me feel like cashing out the thousands I have and closing the books. Although i really want to see a future in this coin, I am wondering if this whole virtual currency is gonna die and if Darkcoin was simply too late to join the race.

Please make me change my mind because I really want to buy this condo and start my life but if this rises I would be lightyears ahead for my age than just a simple condo.

Mixed emotions fellas, fuarkkk

I would like to tell you that people aren't really cashing out and this is just an illusion. Those people you believe are cashing out is just holding Fiat on the exchanges. They will jump the train again once they see a BTC stable uptrend or relativlty stable side trend. We didn't come here to cash out at the lowest point did we? Well and you are in DRK so you know you are in for the longer run. Also latest dump was based on false rumours. I won't make your mind for you, but here's some candy

Cheers
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:11:38 AM

Hey guys, first off. Love this coin, love all you guys putting all the hard work i love everything but I need someone to help me out here.

I have a really big amount of darks, ive been non stop buying with the daily profits i get from trading btc so i buy around 100 a day, its been 1month now so i have a decent amount of darks and im loving this coin because it seems to be stable with a great future.

This is my concern. I am seeing a trend, people are cashing out btc and getting the fk out of this whole currency system.

This makes me feel like cashing out the thousands I have and closing the books. Although i really want to see a future in this coin, I am wondering if this whole virtual currency is gonna die and if Darkcoin was simply too late to join the race.

Please make me change my mind because I really want to buy this condo and start my life but if this rises I would be lightyears ahead for my age than just a simple condo.

Mixed emotions fellas, fuarkkk

I have read a few of the replies.  All good.

The sea of red on coinmarketcap is down to rumours that China is banning banks from interacting with exchanges. That's causing panic selling. The rumours might be true, but they are still not confirmed. The question is: how important is China to bitcoin?

The other important question for the long-term is - can bitcoin find a place in the financial space? VCs are spending hundreds of millions because they think it can. Their time horizon is not a few months. Its takes a minimum of 12 months for anything straightforward to go from start to launch.

Western Union and the other money transfer businesses, plus many consumer FX firms, are probably the ones who are at risk initially. WU charges $5-$10 on a $100 transfer. Once people get used to $0.05 per transfer with bitcoin then their day is done. WU has reinvented itself many times over, so expect them to be working on a bitcoin project. All they need is regulatory clarity and they could be the biggest players in a few years with all their bitcoin <> fiat outlets.

My brother was involved in a start-up. He had a very, very small stake. The ones that founded the business did so with $10,000. Seven years later they sold out for $50m. My brother got $500k after  taxes. The point is that throughout those seven years nothing was certain and it cost him lost opportunities elsewhere, so he probably came out net +$300k.

Problems? There are many.  All these pump and dump coins are making newbies punch drunk and nursing loses. ASICs are killing the mass supporters - the miners. The miners are the ones that help spread the word, so these ASICs are counter productive on a number of fronts. The current market prices are probably forcing people to turn off their rigs. There are systemic risks at the moment.

Bitcoin is at the point where VC money and regulatory interest is converging. It has a bright future and as we can see just about every other alt-coins is currently tied to the success of bitcoin. Because bitcoin has a bright future, a few alt-coins will do well.

The thing that keeps me up at night is - Is darkcoin potentially better than bitcoin because of DarkSend? From a technical feature point of view, anonymity from the blockchain, potentially yes. Currently, the devlopers support at bitcoin is significant. Can darkcoin overtake bitcoin? probably not. What we are really gambling is that DarkSend stands up to the mass testing that will hit it and that if it passes, then darkcoin will overtake everything else in the short-term apart from bitcoin. That should see more developer support.

This is a start-up project, nothing is certain. But darkcoin has some features that have a place in the market.

n00bnoxious

Activity: 280

Bitnation Development Team Member

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:23:02 AM

here is my suggestion for the drk-logo(s)

have a closer look at the logo-discussion:

https://www.darkcointalk.org/threads/logo-discussion.105/

Seriously impressed with this - I especially like the way the circular 'd' shows kinda how DarkSend works (in a very loose manner, but still cool) :-D
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:57:11 AM

What we are really gambling is that DarkSend stands up to the mass testing that will hit it and that if it passes, then darkcoin will overtake everything else in the short-term apart from bitcoin. That should see more developer support.

If the gamble is hedged by integrating further layers of user anonymity beyond DarkSend, any potential risk is reduced significantly. If DarkSend is the only layer, and under certain circumstances the identity is uncovered, it's a single point of failure situation: You need something extra, whether it is IP obfuscation, or something else (preferably as many layers as you can get).

blajde

Activity: 364

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:04:13 AM

Hehe fun thing.

We all believe in Eduffield but we are a bit skeptical towards Darksend.

So.. Eduffield if you just say it will work for sure, we all can start buying more DRK!
werwohl

Activity: 17
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:13:32 AM

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140331/mm96eujk.png

Alter Schwede! I absolutely love this design. Very clean and professional, also looks good as small icon and incorporates the way DarkSend works!
When will be able to vote for the final design?
CarlesPuyol
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:37:42 AM

good job.
I agree, I'm pleased with this currency..
fra55

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:39:29 AM

They are wonderful man, congrats!
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:41:52 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 01:57:11 PM by AlexGR

Hehe fun thing.

We all believe in Eduffield but we are a bit skeptical towards Darksend.

So.. Eduffield if you just say it will work for sure, we all can start buying more DRK!

It's code... code can break if it's not clean, extremely well thought out, trial-tested, reviewed, etc etc. It needs time to be patched to better levels of reliable functionality and prove itself, just like BTC code is taking years and still has questionmarks if something can break it and render it useless. Even things like stratum, kgw, dgw, need fixing. You can't have complicated code working flawlessly from day 1, no matter the assurances. That's just how it is.

It's always better to have realistic expectations rather than unrealistic ones because that way no disillusionment can occur later on and comments like "ohhhhhh disaster, darksend is a flop" start to spring up after some bug or something.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:33:38 AM

A c h m a c h i n g !
rickraw

Activity: 387

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:13:49 PM

85 designs submitted on the designcrowd site! Should be a lot of great options, can't wait to see them in ~2 days.

DASH - Private. Instant. Digital Cash.   DASHPAY.IO
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:41:41 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 12:56:17 PM by AnonyMint

CoinJoin can't work. Period. I had another debate in the CoinJoin thread a few weeks ago with gmaxwell and I won. Go read it for yourself.

The problem is you can't prevent someone from denial-of-service attacking by refusing to sign the second stage of the operation. They can block all DarkSends this way.

There is not any anonymity offered by DarkSend, because the shorts will simply attack it once the coin becomes valuable and DarkSends won't get processed. The system will jam. And the price will plummet.

I am not talking about DOS protection against sending transactions. Your developer misunderstood me before. I am talking about denial by refusing to sign the second stage of the DarkSend. Then the DarkSend has to reset and start over again. The attacker can do this over and over, and blacklisting can't work. If you blacklist the IP address, he can just get a botnet. If you blacklist the block chain address, he will just go through another instance of the DarkSend that uses a different blacklist. If you use one blacklist system wide, then you can have cheating miners or pools who cause legitimate users to become blacklisted.

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/02/24/interview-anoncoin-developer-speaks-zerocoin-implementation/

Quote from: anoncoin developer
When the number of participants is high, a malicious participant can execute a denial of service attack by refusing to sign the transaction.

As I understand it, the developer is keeping this closed source for now, so I cannot speak with certainty as to how he will overcome the various problems with CoinJoin.

P.S. Just wait until DarkCoin's CoinJoin is denial-of-service attacked (if necessary I will do it to prove it is vulnerable, will wait until it becomes more popular then bet short on it and DOS-attack it). Tried to tell them that, but they didn't want to listen. Oh well. CoinJoin can't be protected against this because it is a two-step process (not atomic). Go read my debate with gmaxwell in the CoinJoin thread. Blacklisting input addresses is futile.

iirc drk dev asked you to exploit it in the test net setting but you disappeared.  Huh
It's possible I remember wrong though.

They never PM'ed me as I requested. I don't spend my time monitoring that DK thread that has several pages per day of new posts.

Did they attempt to do anything to deal with DOS-attacks? The problem is that if you blacklist the input address, someone can just go create another input address (even passing through another instance of the mixer). If they are sharing a single blacklist coin-wide, then it is not a decentralized coin (i.e. some pools could lie and cause addresses to become unspendable). Etc, etc, etc.

Nothing in their whitepaper about DOS protection:

http://darkcoin.io/downloads/DarkcoinWhitepaper.pdf

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
chaeplin

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:53:07 PM

~~~

http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/DarkSendDocumentation.pdf

already answerd
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5643365#msg5643365

Code:
I got charged a fee of 0.1 for using DarkSend!

When using DarkSend it’s possible that you’ll be charged 0.1DRK if your client doesn’t
give the network the needed information for some reason. For example your internet
may go out, your computer could shut off, etc. This feature was designed to stop possible
abuse of the system by adding a cost to misbehaving clients.

I got a random payment of 0.1 for having my client on!

Randomly your client may be picked to be master for a few DarkSend sessions. During
these times if anyone attempts to abuse the system, you’ll receive the money that was
lost in the attack, this is yours for supporting the network!

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:01:24 PM

~~~

http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/DarkSendDocumentation.pdf

already answerd
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5643365#msg5643365

Code:
I got charged a fee of 0.1 for using DarkSend!

When using DarkSend it’s possible that you’ll be charged 0.1DRK if your client doesn’t
give the network the needed information for some reason. For example your internet
may go out, your computer could shut off, etc. This feature was designed to stop possible
abuse of the system by adding a cost to misbehaving clients.

You can still DOS free-of-charge in the stage of providing the outputs. You can't identify the signers of the inputs to know who to charge a fee until the last stage where all inputs need to be signed to the transaction.

By definition the blind signing of the outputs has to be uncorrelated with the inputs.

http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/DarkSendDocumentation.pdf#page=2

Stage 2: Collecting Inputs
Stage 3: Collecting Outputs
Stage 4: Collecting Signatures

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 01:07:08 PM

You can still DOS free-of-charge in the stage of providing the outputs. You can't identify the signers of the inputs to know who to charge a fee until the last stage where all inputs need to be signed to the transaction.

By definition the blind signing of the outputs has to be uncorrelated with the inputs.

I don't claim to understand this perfectly -- but does this part of the whitepaper contradict you here?

[snip]
To defend against various attacks, DarkSend implements  a collateral system.  A transaction for
0.1DRK  is  made  out  to  the payment  node  to  ensure  proper  usage  of  the  system.  This
transaction  is  separate from the  funds added to the DarkSend pool.
 If a user submits an input
but  refuses  to  sign  or  leaves  at  any  stage,  the  payment  node  will  “cash” the  transaction
by signing  and  broadcasting  it.  Collateral  transactions require multiple signatures to complete
from more than one payment node.
[/snip]

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:11:54 PM

I don't claim to understand this perfectly -- but does this part of the whitepaper contradict you here?

[snip]
To defend against various attacks, DarkSend implements  a collateral system.  A transaction for
0.1DRK  is  made  out  to  the payment  node  to  ensure  proper  usage  of  the  system.  This
transaction  is  separate from the  funds added to the DarkSend pool.
 If a user submits an input
but  refuses  to  sign  or  leaves  at  any  stage,  the  payment  node  will  “cash” the  transaction
by signing  and  broadcasting  it.  Collateral  transactions require multiple signatures to complete
from more than one payment node.
[/snip]

By definition if anyone can correlate who didn't sign an output to the one who provided an input, then the anonymity is broken.

So the only way the penalty fee payment could be uncorrelated from the inputs to the transaction, is to create the penalty payment after providing the inputs. Thus one could DOS at that point and refuse to provide the penalty payment.

Indeed they can prevent DOS if they break the anonymity by correlating your penalty payment to both your input and output.

LimLims

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 01:16:20 PM

By definition if anyone can correlate who didn't sign an output to the one who provided an input, then the anonymity is broken.

So the only way the penalty fee payment could be uncorrelated from the inputs to the transaction, is to create the penalty payment after providing the inputs. Thus one could DOS at that point and refuse to provide the penalty payment.

Indeed they can prevent DOS if they break the anonymity by correlating your penalty payment to both your input and output.

Doesn't the refusal to sign only have to be correlated with the 0.1 DRK collateral for this to work?

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:19:24 PM

Doesn't the refusal to sign only have to be correlated with the 0.1 DRK collateral for this to work?

If all the participants to a mix "collect their inputs", then they provide their penalty payment. Then the DOS attack comes in that second step where not all provide their penalty payment. Thus restart and "collect inputs" again. And again, and again and again. Forever.

If the penalty payment is provided before "collect their inputs", then the system knows who is the owner of the input and the output, and thus anonymity is broken.

LimLims

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 01:26:23 PM

If all the participants to a mix "collect their inputs", then they provide their penalty payment. Then the DOS attack comes in that second step where not all provide their penalty payment. Thus restart and "collect inputs" again. And again, and again and again. Forever.

If the penalty payment is provided before "collect their inputs", then the system knows who is the owner of the input and the output, and thus anonymity is broken.

I don't understand it well enough to give you an answer. *Paging Evan*

I do appreciate that you put time into thinking this through. I might have a read through the debate you linked to when I have some time.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:31:15 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 01:53:17 PM by AnonyMint

Let me try to explain it one more time.

CoinJoin has the following steps:

1. Participants provide their inputs key addresses (that they will use to sign in step 3).
2. Participants blind sign output addresses (and the list from step 1) so it is not possible to see who signed which output address.
3. Participants sign their inputs to the transaction that includes all the inputs and outputs.

If we assign a penalty payment transaction to the Participant before step 1, then the blind signing in step 2 is useless, because we can associate the input addresses to the output addresses.

If we assign a penalty payment transaction to the Participant before step 2, then the adversary can refuse to provide the penalty payment transaction and we must go back to repeat step 1 without being able to penalize the adversary.

There is no solution. CoinJoin is a broken idea.

The only pseudo-"solution" I ever thought of was to use divide-and-conquer to find the adversary, i.e. split the list of participants in two when try again. But the problem is the adversary can just proceed before you isolate him. So he still DOS a percentage of the DarkSends.

The smaller the Participants set, the less of DOS problem you have if you use the divide-and-conquer. So you could just do very small mixes. And then users need to mix numerous times to get a larger Participants set. Your anonymity depends on a large Participants set. But then the problem is the DOS percentage will increase by the number of times you need to pass through the mixer, e.g. if 1 time through mixer has 5% DOS rate, then 5 times through it has a 25% DOS rate.

None of the pseudo-"solution"s are really good.

Pages: « 1 ... 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 [585] 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: