Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:50:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3447 3448 3449 3450 3451 3452 3453 3454 3455 3456 3457 3458 3459 3460 3461 3462 3463 3464 3465 3466 3467 3468 3469 3470 3471 3472 3473 3474 3475 3476 3477 3478 3479 3480 3481 3482 3483 3484 3485 3486 3487 3488 3489 3490 3491 3492 3493 3494 3495 3496 [3497] 3498 3499 3500 3501 3502 3503 3504 3505 3506 3507 3508 3509 3510 3511 3512 3513 3514 3515 3516 3517 3518 3519 3520 3521 3522 3523 3524 3525 3526 3527 3528 3529 3530 3531 3532 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 3538 3539 3540 3541 3542 3543 3544 3545 3546 3547 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722504 times)
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:15:56 PM

@lonecrouton, having only masternodes will highly centralize dark. There is thousands of miners, vs a thousand and some masternodes. Centralisation.

[img]http://s10.postimg.org/elcsnnb6h/image.png[ /img]

You are a fucking moron.

(In case anyone is unaware, louiseth1 is one of those 3 people, running suchpool.)
Wafflepool is a multipool, no darkpool, but yes, darkcoin have a problem.

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:25:10 PM

And that is WHY people should start using p2pool.

Except that they earn /marginally/ more than with centralized pool, that is, and secure to make the system really decentralized.

here here !! plus one!
louiseth1
Legendary

Activity: 924

Bitfarms.io

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 01:30:48 PM

@lonecrouton, having only masternodes will highly centralize dark. There is thousands of miners, vs a thousand and some masternodes. Centralisation.

You are a fucking moron.

(In case anyone is unaware, louiseth1 is one of those 3 people, running suchpool.)

Yes with 1000's of miners behind it.. it's not ME mining all those blocks myself, you seem to forget that with your closed vision. I just help all those miners to get together and enjoy a smooth platform.

There were a lot of organic pools before, but most of the big ones have fell off, and the users came to ours. We've been honest with the community and true supporters of darkcoin since its early days. Your point is just not constructive and plainly stupid.

At least on my darkcoin pool, the miners WANT to mine darkcoin. I deliver straight to the darkcoin community. In the case of waffle, its just rape n dump as the miners don't care about anything else than bitcoin. That's what should be avoided.

It doesn't matter how many miners are 'behind it' - they are all under your control, and you could either choose or be coerced into vandalising the blockchain, forking the network, crashing the price of DRK, basically killing the coin. Such an event would fuck all of us up, and pools like yours make it a dirt cheap possibility for any attacker. They don't need to spend millions on hardware to screw the newtwork, they just have to find you.

Look outside, it's an ugly world and people get killed every day for far less than the matket cap of DRK. Hoping that it will never happen is not a plan.

I have nothing against mining, I mine on p2pool, always have, but centralised pools are a huge liability.

Could you not make suchpool a p2pool node instead? Most of your miners would never know the difference and you would actually be helping to secure the network. At the moment, you're not, you're just a centralised point of failure.

Darkcoin right now (most cryptocurrencies right now) is NOT decentralised, we and other currencies have no right to call ourselves decentralised when a handful of people are in control of the blockchain, it's a complete lie.

Everyone panics about small theoretical flaws in the Darksend protocol while ignoring the giant security flaw with centralised PoW...  Huh

Stop thinking in what ifs... see this as I am a town mayor, citizens elected me (by coming into our pool) to represent them. Our track record is mint, so why are you wasting your time bothering us when there is bigger and potentially harming fish to fry? Spare your time, leave us the fuck alone Wink

Why would I be intentionally killing the blockchain?
Are you retarded?

Probably an unstable individual like you, in my position, would do so. I just won't. Are you trying to push me to do so? Won't work.

Either way, you're the kind of guy that will ever be complaining about something or another, so I'm getting used to your whining.

Bitfarms.io - Powering Blockchains with Sustainable Energy
RenegadeMan

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:41:06 PM

You are a fucking moron.

Yes with 1000's of miners behind it.. it's not ME mining all those blocks myself, you seem to forget that with your closed vision. I just help all those miners to get together and enjoy a smooth platform.

There were a lot of organic pools before, but most of the big ones have fell off, and the users came to ours. We've been honest with the community and true supporters of darkcoin since its early days. Your point is just not constructive and plainly stupid.

At least on my darkcoin pool, the miners WANT to mine darkcoin. I deliver straight to the darkcoin community. In the case of waffle, its just rape n dump as the miners don't care about anything else than bitcoin. That's what should be avoided.

It doesn't matter how many miners are 'behind it' - they are all under your control, and you could either choose or be coerced into vandalising the blockchain, forking the network, crashing the price of DRK, basically killing the coin. Such an event would fuck all of us up, and pools like yours make it a dirt cheap possibility for any attacker. They don't need to spend millions on hardware to screw the newtwork, they just have to find you.

Look outside, it's an ugly world and people get killed every day for far less than the matket cap of DRK. Hoping that it will never happen is not a plan.

I have nothing against mining, I mine on p2pool, always have, but centralised pools are a huge liability.

Could you not make suchpool a p2pool node instead? Most of your miners would never know the difference and you would actually be helping to secure the network. At the moment, you're not, you're just a centralised point of failure.

Darkcoin right now (most cryptocurrencies right now) is NOT decentralised, we and other currencies have no right to call ourselves decentralised when a handful of people are in control of the blockchain, it's a complete lie.

Everyone panics about small theoretical flaws in the Darksend protocol while ignoring the giant security flaw with centralised PoW...  Huh

Stop thinking in what ifs... see this as I am a town mayor, citizens elected me (by coming into our pool) to represent them. Our track record is mint, so why are you wasting your time bothering us when there is bigger and potentially harming fish to fry? Spare your time, leave us the fuck alone Wink

Are you retarded?

Probably an unstable individual like you, in my position, would do so. I just won't. Are you trying to push me to do so? Won't work.

Either way, you're the kind of guy that will ever be complaining about something or another, so I'm getting used to your whining.

As I see it thelonecrouton does has some valid points about the problem of mining pools being too centralised. The issue is not about personalities or whether someone would or would not do something to potentially fork DRK's blockchain and cause a massive problem. The issue is that the three largest mining pools do have more than 51% control of the network and the network is totally beholden to the security and certainty with which these mining pools are conducted.

In thinking "what ifs", I think thelonecrouton is simply undertaking some level of basic risk assessment and he's trying to get some sort of indication that others see the risk too and would like to consider ways of mitigating it.

What would it take for you to convert suchpool into a p2pool node? Can you comment on this?

BTC:   1KjAPEa3WvhmDGT4jmT9i5P3UPFdFH629e
DASH: Xdr6U5qcAdbuKRrr3xKBb1ySoPq7MKERnB
salmion

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:47:47 PM

Can we stop with the giant red scribble image now please.

I'm all for p2pool but we can discuss this without all the shouting.

And singling out suchpool when they updated quickly a few times now doesn't help anything.

GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:48:11 PM

What would it take for you to convert suchpool into a p2pool node? Can you comment on this?

That's just no feasible. Suchpool are top notch guys, x11 pioneers and supporters. Unlike Waffle. Much respect to them.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:51:48 PM

Are you retarded?

Sure, wishful thinking is a great way to implement security! Bad things never happen, why worry about it? Anyone who thinks having their finances completely at the mercy of a few people on the intertubes is a problem must be unstable!

Roll Eyes
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:52:31 PM

And singling out suchpool when they updated quickly a few times now doesn't help anything.

The fact that they can be singled out is kind of the point.
salmion

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 01:59:00 PM

The fact that they can be singled out is kind of the point.

I get you I really do. And I'd be backing you up all the way normally but the way you are going about it is counterproductive in my opinion.
louiseth1
Legendary

Activity: 924

Bitfarms.io

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 02:05:46 PM

Are you retarded?

Sure, wishful thinking is a great way to implement security! Bad things never happen, why worry about it? Anyone who thinks having their finances completely at the mercy of a few people on the intertubes is a problem must be unstable!

Roll Eyes

Lol you're talking as if I could just decided and start forking the network..

Are you aware you need at LEAST 51% to do that? Are you aware that i'm nowhere near that 50%?

If anything, we help the darkcoin blockchain stay strong against 40gh/s hammers moving around such as waffle and god knows what other pools (the unknowns). I doubt its the p2pool at 1% of the hash who will protect it from any fork.

As of right now, we have a use wether you like it or not.

You can keep whining, this won't make us go away nor help your cause. In society, you sometimes have to work with other peoples towards greater good, which you're not. You're biting the hand that feeds you at the moment, yet again.

None of your points stands yet because since the beginning we have been supportive and complying with the darkcoin community to all extents. If you are to pick a target, at LEAST pick up some that is not trustworthy or not cooperating as much as they should be­. We're always one of the fastest, if not the fastest pool to upgrade it's daemons at every update.

Edit; crouton you the almighty, why don't you just come up with the code to make the standard pools p2pool? I'm all ears, bring it we'll try it Smiley

Bitfarms.io - Powering Blockchains with Sustainable Energy
CryptoSiD

Activity: 631

Former SuchPool Admin

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:12:22 PM

First. 3 pools having 51% isn't a problem, its not 1 pool but 3 pools so 3 wallets
Second. Saying that 3 peoples own 56% of the network is totaly wrong, there's more than 10k miners on those pools.

strix

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:19:09 PM

Everyone panics about small theoretical flaws in the Darksend protocol while ignoring the giant security flaw with centralised PoW...  Huh

+1
I do not pretend to understand all the subtleties of this debate, but it seems clear that Crouton is not imagining this problem. On the other hand, "to the victor go the spoils." In that sense, if someone can convince enough people to mine on a particular pool they earn the renumeration they extract. What would be the financial disincentive to making suchpool a p2pool node? Again, I don't know how such things work, but I am imagining that p2pool would be "fed" the blocks mined by suchpool by the "owner" who would receive the payout. If he honestly distributes those to the members of suchpool (after taking his cut), would this satisfy everyone? Is this even technically feasible?

As I reread this it makes me think that this reveals a method for a "sneak attack."  Could an entity use the above method to create a private pool, but hide it within p2pool. It would look like p2pool is growing in its control of the hash-rate. No one would worry--we would be thrilled to see that p2pool had 80% of the hash-rate--All is well and we are finally safe from a 51% attack.  Then the embedded private pool withdraws its 51% and BOOM.

Sadly, I have no idea what I am talking about, so I hope saner minds will prevail.

Peace to you all,

Strix

Je le hibou, suis ↄash; because while the days are evil good must hurry, lest evil parading as an agent of light restrict its activity.
XnUjqiYV5mvXAWrWUbGFmitPvmWSthxhBi
thefrog

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:23:36 PM

With p2pool, everyone mines to his own DRK address directly.
There is no database and no periodic payouts based on information in a database, as is the case with central pools.

A miner gets payout as soon as a block is solved. No third party involved.

And you can chose any of the p2pool nodes (usually the one that is network wise the nearest, with lowest latency) to connect to.

Setting a p2pool node is really simple, just the daemon and the p2pool web server. Not even as 'complicated' as setting up a MN. Smiley
strix

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:28:13 PM

With p2pool, everyone mines to his own DRK address directly.
There is no database and no periodic payouts based on information in a database, as is the case with central pools.

A miner gets payout as soon as a block is solved. No third party involved.

And you can chose any of the p2pool nodes (usually the one that is network wise the nearest, with lowest latency) to connect to.

I think I get that (but maybe not), but could not a private pool feed the output of its database to the p2pool, recieve the reward from p2pool, and distribute it according to the contents of its database?  Again, I am way out of my depth, and have no idea what I am talking about. :-(

Je le hibou, suis ↄash; because while the days are evil good must hurry, lest evil parading as an agent of light restrict its activity.
XnUjqiYV5mvXAWrWUbGFmitPvmWSthxhBi
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:29:07 PM

Lol you're talking as if I could just decided and start forking the network..

You could, or you could be coerced into doing so, or for example some employee at the datacentre could be bribed into restarting your pool servers with malicious code replacing your existing code, etc.

Are you aware you need at LEAST 51% to do that? Are you aware that i'm nowhere near that 50%?

You are wrong. Less that 51% still causes problems, >51% just guarantees success.

If anything, we help the darkcoin blockchain stay strong against 40gh/s hammers moving around such as waffle and god knows what other pools (the unknowns). I doubt its the p2pool at 1% of the hash who will protect it from any fork.

As of right now, we have a use wether you like it or not.

I have never questioned your personal integrity, I am merely pointing out your vulnerability, which is a vulnerability to everyone who owns DRK.

You can keep whining, this won't make us go away nor help your cause. In society, you sometimes have to work with other peoples towards greater good, which you're not.

You and moli can keep bitching about me all day long on IRC, ditto. Wink

You're biting the hand that feeds you at the moment, yet again.

You don't feed anyone but yourself. If you cared about the security of the blockchain, you wouldn't be running a centralised pool.

None of your points stands yet because since the beginning we have been supportive and complying with the darkcoin community to all extents. If you are to pick a target, at LEAST pick up some that is not trustworthy or not cooperating as much as they should be­. We're always one of the fastest, if not the fastest pool to upgrade it's daemons at every update.

I don't think my point has been understood by you, much less addressed. You are in denial about the basic risk that you pose to the network.

Edit; crouton you the almighty, why don't you just come up with the code to make the standard pools p2pool? I'm all ears, bring it we'll try it Smiley

Here you go: https://bitbucket.org/dstorm/p2pool-drk.git Grin  - let me know when you're done, I'll point my rigs your way.
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 02:30:24 PM

Darkcoin Testnet - v0.16.2 - Please Update!

The network hasn't updated yet, please upgrade if you're running a client or help help test if you can.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/v16-x-testing.2976/page-4#post-29202

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
Spratan

Activity: 689
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:33:53 PM

Anyone else jump on the XCP train like me weeks ago? Lol holy hell. Just moved some of those profits into more DRK. Gotta love crypto.
JL

I did but haven't taken profits to move here back again, I am not sure XCP have finished to grow. Are you "sure" DRK is ready ?
youngmike

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:52:18 PM

You are a fucking moron.

I'm so happy I dumped this DRK crap a long time ago  Smiley
illodin

Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:58:27 PM

If you cared about the security of the blockchain, you wouldn't be running a centralised pool.

That's not exactly true.

Either no one should run a pool, or as many people as possible should run a pool.

Running a pool must be prevented in the protocol level for the former to happen, so as long as running a pool is possible, it's actually better the more people run one.
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:59:18 PM

You are a fucking moron.

I'm so happy I dumped this DRK crap a long time ago  Smiley
i am happy as well.... you dumped it. More for us MNers.

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Pages: « 1 ... 3447 3448 3449 3450 3451 3452 3453 3454 3455 3456 3457 3458 3459 3460 3461 3462 3463 3464 3465 3466 3467 3468 3469 3470 3471 3472 3473 3474 3475 3476 3477 3478 3479 3480 3481 3482 3483 3484 3485 3486 3487 3488 3489 3490 3491 3492 3493 3494 3495 3496 [3497] 3498 3499 3500 3501 3502 3503 3504 3505 3506 3507 3508 3509 3510 3511 3512 3513 3514 3515 3516 3517 3518 3519 3520 3521 3522 3523 3524 3525 3526 3527 3528 3529 3530 3531 3532 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 3538 3539 3540 3541 3542 3543 3544 3545 3546 3547 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: