Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:59:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit  (Read 336101 times)
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 05:38:54 PM

One thing that slow things down is if you close your wallet - using File | Close wallet before you close MultiBit.
There is no need to do that - if you leave it open then you should only sync from when you last used it which is quicker.

Is it that when you close the wallet file and reopen then you need to reply the blockchain from the wallet's born-on date?  Just trying to see if I follow.

I use Multibit as primary wallet, but only open it when I need it, it synchronises nearly instantly most of the times (sometimes it's a bit slow and it takes ~10 seconds).

Is there actually any difference between closing with 'File' - 'Exit' and simply clicking 'x'?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 11:07:34 AM

There is no difference between clicking the X and doing a File | Exit no.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 12:01:39 PM

I am using Multibit for more then one year. I keep it allways on and running. Since month or two I found that after restart Multibit is syncing very very long time, like a day or more. Sometimes it seems that it`s stack on some %. When I close it and open again it start again, but much faster then before. Any idea how to speed up syncing. It`s a problem when I need to send some btc, but I can`t and need wait till syncing is done.

Syncing is slow on my machine when I tried this wallet but it was faster with fewer wallets. Multibit starts faster  with fewer wallets. I don't know what's slowing this process down but I'm certain it can be speed up.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 01:11:15 PM

One thing that slow things down is if you close your wallet - using File | Close wallet before you close MultiBit.
There is no need to do that - if you leave it open then you should only sync from when you last used it which is quicker.

I am using Multibit OSX version. I am not closing it, just in case of needed restart, which is fortunately very rare occurence, I just closing it by clicking on red cross or just restart the complete OSX.
nikona

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:37:27 AM

I had a little problem while using the client, which I am sure must have occured with others and would have been discussed somewhere in the previous 82 pages, but its hard to scroll back and look through. So I am just going to ask it again.
Has anyone had issues with the balance not being correct on the wallet ? I have had the problem, that the balance shown is more, I even tried "Reset Blockchain" , but that didn't fix the problem either. The only thing so far that fixes it, is importing the private key to a new wallet, which in turn creates a new address(as a new wallet is created) , so I have to go about exporting the address again.

Anyone has a better fix for this  ?
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:23:56 AM

I think I remember somebody else having this issue where resetting the blockchain didn't help... There was no answer though...
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:25:03 PM

I had a little problem while using the client, which I am sure must have occured with others and would have been discussed somewhere in the previous 82 pages, but its hard to scroll back and look through. So I am just going to ask it again.
Has anyone had issues with the balance not being correct on the wallet ? I have had the problem, that the balance shown is more, I even tried "Reset Blockchain" , but that didn't fix the problem either. The only thing so far that fixes it, is importing the private key to a new wallet, which in turn creates a new address(as a new wallet is created) , so I have to go about exporting the address again.

So, if you import the priv-key to a new wallet then the problem is sovled?  But does it happen again or something?  If it happens repeatedly, it'd be great if you could give steps to reproduce.
nikona

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:51:39 PM

I think I remember somebody else having this issue where resetting the blockchain didn't help... There was no answer though...
Since the thread has 82 Pages, I am thinking it might have been discussed somewhere along these pages.

So, if you import the priv-key to a new wallet then the problem is sovled?  But does it happen again or something?  If it happens repeatedly, it'd be great if you could give steps to reproduce.
Yes, but its like another wallet opened in the Multibit client. If I leave the old wallet opened as well, then that still displays the wrong balance. The new one shows the correct balance. As for repeatedly, I think I have seen this happen 2-3 times till now, with different addresses. So far only on Mac, but might have happened on Windows as well, will have to check, as I hardly close any wallets.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:55:53 PM

Yes, but its like another wallet opened in the Multibit client. If I leave the old wallet opened as well, then that still displays the wrong balance. The new one shows the correct balance. As for repeatedly, I think I have seen this happen 2-3 times till now, with different addresses. So far only on Mac, but might have happened on Windows as well, will have to check, as I hardly close any wallets.

So, in one sense, it sounds like you've found a working solution.  But on the other hand, you've experienced the problem more than once.  I think the next step is to see if you can figure out steps to reproduce the problem, if you can come up with those, then you've got a bona-fida bug report that will almost certainly get fixed.
nikona

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 08:57:16 AM

So, in one sense, it sounds like you've found a working solution.  But on the other hand, you've experienced the problem more than once.  I think the next step is to see if you can figure out steps to reproduce the problem, if you can come up with those, then you've got a bona-fida bug report that will almost certainly get fixed.

I won't call it a working solution, as now everytime, I go about creating a new wallet, and adding the private key, I have to go about backing up all the keys again, as sometimes, the btc is sent to the other address in the wallet when not backed up.
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 04:52:20 PM

Since the thread has 82 Pages, I am thinking it might have been discussed somewhere along these pages.
Actually it was this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=723614.msg8175658#msg8175658

Maybe related, maybe not...
nikona

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 07:19:42 PM

Actually it was this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=723614.msg8175658#msg8175658

Maybe related, maybe not...
Thanks, its not exactly related, as I have usually had money sent, but shows the triangle, which means it will never be sent, or some error, but that usually gets fixed on a restart. However due to the wrong balance, say I have 0.2 , and it shows 0.205, and I without checking send 0.205, then it goes to that triangle mode, and I have to restart.
drakoin

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

see my profile

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 05:24:52 AM

I am cleaning up a bit.

Now I have found a couple of files in a folder called "wallet-unenc-backup"

path-to-my-wallet/wallet-unenc-backup/name-timestamp.wallet.cipher
path-to-my-wallet/wallet-unenc-backup/name-timestamp.info

They are old. Probably from before I encrypted the wallet.

I should better delete them, right?

no sign of a signature
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:55:52 AM

When you encrypt a previously unencrypted wallet MultiBit goes through all the unencrypted backups and:
+ creates an encrypted copy with the suffix ".cipher"
+ secure deletes the unencrypted copies.

Thus they are safe to leave as they are.

If you view the ".cipher" files in a hexeditor you'll just see the usual gobble-de-gook you see with an encrypted file - no structure at all.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
drakoin

see my profile

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 11:03:35 AM

superb, well done!

Then it is only about possibly existing manual backups from before the encryption.

no sign of a signature
drakoin

see my profile

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

0.2 BTC never appeared in my wallet.

I was sure that they had to be there. blockchain.info showed them, with dozens of confirmations.

And in multibit the blockchain had moved past the block into which the tx had been mined.

Finally I decided to go through the lengthy (several hours) process "Reset blockchain and Transactions"
- which turned out to fortunately be per wallet, and not multibit-wide (mention that somewhere?).

The 0.2 BTC are back, no problem at all. But only after my intervention.

I remember, I had this problem before, long ago; and a friend, too - he exported the keys, and imported them somewhere else.

Do we have to rescan each wallet once in a while?
Shall I perhaps close my 2013-2014 wallet, and create a completely new one - that would at least make the rescan faster, right?

no sign of a signature
drakoin

see my profile

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:54:59 PM

When you encrypt a previously unencrypted wallet MultiBit goes through all the unencrypted backups and:
+ creates an encrypted copy with the suffix ".cipher"
+ secure deletes the unencrypted copies.
Thus they are safe to leave as they are.

One small suggestion, extend this text

The password was added successfully. Private keys have been backed up, using the wallet password, to: "..."

with the above sentences.

More feature request:
* A button pair "move up / move down" for the "Wallets" tab would be nice. Then I could keep my 2013-2014 wallets open, in case something comes in, but push them down; and have my most current and important wallets at the top.
* the QR codes would be much more useful to me without label inserted into the QR

Tiny unimportant details, really. And other than that - what a beautiful program. So happy to have decided for multibit, already in my first contact with bitcoin - and never regretted it.

no sign of a signature
nikona

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:27:34 PM

Bumping this,
and I had another problem today. I was sending bitcoins to a bitpay address, and while doing so, the status of the transaction switched to a triangle, which usually happens if there is not enough balance(due to wrong display) and it usually fixes itself on restarting the client.

However, it didn't change to being confirmed today, and I was scared, that after the 10 minutes were over, it might change to confirmed and would be broadcasted to the blockchain. So I had to start up another PC, to import the key there and get the BTC out of that address just incase it confirmed sometime later from the original pc. Anyone had any issues like these before ?
Monopoly

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 12:54:24 AM

How to import old wallet from classic version to Hd version ?
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:00:06 AM

How to import old wallet from classic version to Hd version ?

I'm pretty sure that Multibit HD doesn't support this (unfortunately, in my opinion).  If you look in the "help" menu under "upgrading from multibit classic" you'll see:

One of the problems with random private keys is that they cannot be easily regenerated.  It is for this reason that we, the MultiBit developers, have decided against direct import of a Multibit Classic wallet.

I'd like to add that this decision is the main reason why I haven't upgraded to Multibit HD.  I'm really not sure why they don't allow a collection of old style private keys to be imported.  Andreas' Bitcoin Wallet for Android nowadays provides a HD wallet but you can import old-style private keys.  Bitcoin Wallet for android just shows these in a special menu and warns you that you have some old-style addresses in your wallet that aren't going to be regenerated if you are restoring from your wallet words.  In my own case, I like HD for 95% of the cases, but I still have some classic addresses that I want to keep track of, therefore I'm not a user of Multibit HD.  However, if you're willing to discard your old addresses, Multibit HD is probably a great option.

See the rest of that help section on upgrading from multibit classic if you need further instructions.  Basically they suggest backing up all your old keys then spending to your new HD wallet.

Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: