Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:22:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121194 times)
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 11:36:42 AM

So I'm confused, is there currently a plan to make this work more like the satoshi client so you can spend your change with 0 confirmations? I'd like to use this to show my friends satoshidice, but it doesn't work very well when you have to wait for a new block after each bet.  Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 01:31:19 PM

Will you send Bitcoin Wallet to BlackBerry App World?

At some time I will (although I've got no idea if they accept payment apps into their store).

But before that happens, a testing process for not yet released versions needs to be established. So I wonder if someone was able to install the .bar I put up on the downloads page, and how he did it. Unlike Android, I've only very little knowledge about BlackberryOS.
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 11:50:50 AM

Bitcoin Wallet uses bitcoinj 0.6 which includes bitseed.xf2.org in the list of hosts to query. Is your issue reproducable? Can you look up in the log for "DNS lookup for xxx failed." messages?

I just tried the app again with a wireshark monitoring session on the router.. its definitely only querying the 3 domains listed in my original post.. bitseed.xf2.org is not being used.

Of the three it is trying it is getting back failure on two and response of 0.0.0.0 for the other.

I suspect Mike is correct, it could have something to do with ipv6 addresses in the response.

Would be nice if I could specify my local node (desktop) as a startup node and get further nodes from there.

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 12:09:31 PM

Bitcoin Wallet uses bitcoinj 0.6 which includes bitseed.xf2.org in the list of hosts to query. Is your issue reproducable? Can you look up in the log for "DNS lookup for xxx failed." messages?

I just tried the app again with a wireshark monitoring session on the router.. its definitely only querying the 3 domains listed in my original post.. bitseed.xf2.org is not being used.

Of the three it is trying it is getting back failure on two and response of 0.0.0.0 for the other.

I suspect Mike is correct, it could have something to do with ipv6 addresses in the response.

Would be nice if I could specify my local node (desktop) as a startup node and get further nodes from there.

Did you also look for the messages in the log? If it is not even querying bitseed.xf2.org, how can it choke on an ipv6 answer (no request => no response)?

Perhaps it would be best to open a ticket on the bitcoinj bugtracker:
http://code.google.com/p/bitcoinj/issues/list
Jouke

Activity: 426

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

I wanted to send some bitcoins.

I typed in the first three characters of the address and then decided I should use the qr-code instead, I didn't remove those characters. When I pressed send, it gave me a warning that a wrong address was used. When I tried to send it again, directly using the qr code, it made the transaction twice.

The app just crashed as well.

I know it isn't a good bug report, but these steps I remember.

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:43:05 AM

Jouke, can you report bugs in the issue tracker?

Otherwise, chances are that they get lost in the noise.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 01:20:28 PM

I released version 2.37, answering to lots of your constructive feedback. Those of you who experienced problems should try out this version.

A merry christmas to each of you! It has been terrific year for Bitcoin, thanks to the community.

I'll be at the 29c3 in Hamburg. If anyone cares to meet in person, please drop me a mail.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 04:43:47 PM

So I'm confused, is there currently a plan to make this work more like the satoshi client so you can spend your change with 0 confirmations? I'd like to use this to show my friends satoshidice, but it doesn't work very well when you have to wait for a new block after each bet.  Undecided

I believe this question is addressed here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4384.msg1329542#msg1329542

But maybe not.  I am confused as to whether the above post applies to the spending of the change or not.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:15:01 AM

Making change spendable is already done in MultiBit and doing it in bitcoinj (so Bitcoin Wallet can benefit) is pretty high up my todo list.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 04:59:42 PM

I think i asked this a long time ago also, but can we expect any security features any time soon? like wallet encryption or just a password/PIN requirement before sending funds?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 05:01:55 PM

Once Jim completes his wallet encryption work for MultiBit and syncs it with bitcoinj, it can be integrated into the Android wallet. So the answer is it's being worked on, but don't expect it soon.

That said, you can encrypt your Android phone and put a screen lock on it. In the absence of local root exploits, this is equivalent.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 05:33:40 PM

Getting the MultiBit encryption work into bitcoinj is my main priority now.
:-)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 08:31:51 PM

Today I pushed version 2.39 to Google Play and to the downloads page. It does a much better job at describing transaction confidence states, and it is also based on the recently released bitcoinj 0.6.1.

I recommend to update as soon as you can.
ciphermonk

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:26:03 PM

Edit: I did not see the thread about spending your own change before posting this. Sorry!

Thanks for the excellent work! I really enjoy using this client.

It would be nice however to be able to spend your own change. I'm using version 2.39_test right now on a galaxy nexus ( google phone ) with android version 4.1.1. I sent 50 BTC (testnet) in one transaction to my android wallet. I can only send 1 transaction per block right now because all of my bitcoins are blocked as change Smiley Of course, I can send multiple transactions to my android wallet so that not all coins are used as inputs of a new transaction.

I know this issue has been raised here, just adding my own experience. Otherwise, great job!

Cheers,
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 11:26:49 AM

Strange...my android phone today suddenly said "Bitcoin: Package is invalid". It usually autoupdates in the morning after I turn it on, so it may have happened then. When clicking on the alert, it shortly shown Play store with BitcoinWallet info, but Play app immediately crashed with "No connection".

On second attempt Play launched and I was able to update the Bitcoin Wallet. All seems ok now, so I don't really have anything to report, just wonder, was it attack? Or just botched update?

Good that i keep only pocket change there (if 1BTC is to be considered pocket change haha).

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:54:10 AM

When updating, there is a short time where the app is in an undefined state: The app directory is there (including the app data) and the launcher knows about the app, but the app itself is uninstalled. If you try to start the app in this state, you'll get errors (depending on the launcher).
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:54:21 AM

"Package is invalid" sounds like a problem with the Play Store app. It is being updated to a new version at the moment, it's possible the glitch was related to that.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:41:31 PM

Had an issue on 3.0 with screen rotation when scanning QR codes, a crash error pops up but I was a long way from sober and the reporting tool confused the hell out of me.

If you can reproduce that, I'd be happy if you tell me the email you used for reporting and if you open an issue in the tracker.

Couple of suggestions. Show fiat value when entering amounts and/or allow fiat values to be entered.

Already implemented since two years. It's hidden behind the edit button on each amount field. Was going to change it to inline (have code for that on a branch), but I am not convinced its currently the right thing to do.

Big drunken idiot proof buttons for send and receive, address book, QR or enter address on next send screen,

There not a lot of space for big buttons. Can you separate this out a bit?

last amounts and labels on receive screen etc.

Whats the receive screen? What does last amount mean?

A lot of folks are asking me about Bitcoin and nearly all of them have android phones, so far 3 have bought coins off me there and then. The blockchain updating was a bit of an irritation to them but it was more or less enough time for a cup of coffee so not bad.

Version 3.0 will do away with initial blockchain download. You can try already:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:15:46 PM

Changing the pencil icon to a $ sign would help with discoverability a lot. I've been encouraging Andreas to hide the fee widget behind an advanced button or something, that would free up some space to make both fiat and btc equal partners on the screen.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:21:46 PM

Changing the pencil icon to a $ sign would help with discoverability a lot. I've been encouraging Andreas to hide the fee widget behind an advanced button or something, that would free up some space to make both fiat and btc equal partners on the screen.

$ is a nice idea, however has got the problem it does not work so well for Euro and other currencies.

I agree that the fee field has to go, but think that first proper fee rules need to be implemented so that users have no need to adjust.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: