Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:30:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121190 times)
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:43:44 PM

It was wrong before, and after the reset it became correct.

Why can they be different? It can happen for a couple of reasons, one is bugs (which obviously need to be fixed) and the other reason is if you lose synchronization to the network for some reason. For instance if you have two coins and then send one of them to someone else but the transaction never "goes through", your wallet will have your balance be 1 coin. But if you then reset your wallet then you'll get back in sync with what the rest of the people using Bitcoin perceive, which is that you have 2 coins.

Transactions can fail to go through for a number of reasons, one obvious one is that the fees are wrong. Earlier versions of the app didn't always calculate the min required fee correctly, so you could create spends that some nodes would accept and others wouldn't. Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.

These issues are getting fixed over time. The latest version does fees correctly, for instance. But it seems we may still have a bug that lets peoples wallets get desynced from the network sometimes. I've never had this happen to me and I use the app quite a lot, but there can be bugs related to timing or different devices.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 04:03:23 PM

It was wrong before, and after the reset it became correct.

Why can they be different? It can happen for a couple of reasons, one is bugs (which obviously need to be fixed) and the other reason is if you lose synchronization to the network for some reason. For instance if you have two coins and then send one of them to someone else but the transaction never "goes through", your wallet will have your balance be 1 coin. But if you then reset your wallet then you'll get back in sync with what the rest of the people using Bitcoin perceive, which is that you have 2 coins.

Transactions can fail to go through for a number of reasons, one obvious one is that the fees are wrong. Earlier versions of the app didn't always calculate the min required fee correctly, so you could create spends that some nodes would accept and others wouldn't. Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.

These issues are getting fixed over time. The latest version does fees correctly, for instance. But it seems we may still have a bug that lets peoples wallets get desynced from the network sometimes. I've never had this happen to me and I use the app quite a lot, but there can be bugs related to timing or different devices.

I'm happy with that explanation.

And I thank you for taking the time to provide such a response.

Cheers Smiley
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:50:05 PM

Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.
But it will be still possible to change them manually?
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:23:39 PM

Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.
But it will be still possible to change them manually?

What usually happens if people set them to zero is that people are waiting for days to get their transactions confirmed, which means they will mail me for support. To improve the situation, fees are now adjusted to the exact minimum needed. Manual adjustment is no longer possible. In future, I might allow adjusting upwards, but not downwards.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:33:34 AM

To improve the situation, fees are now adjusted to the exact minimum needed.

Define "minimum needed." I send a lot of transactions with 0-fee, and because I have old coins 0-fee is the minimum needed.

Buy & Hold
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 09:37:21 PM

Any comment on this story with respect to my Android wallet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23179522

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:41:01 AM

The exploit is easy to reliably detect (it can't be obfuscated) so as long as you stick to just using apps from the Play Store you'll be fine. Once security updates are issued, you can go back to installing random apps from anywhere again.
TObject

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:57:15 PM

Hello,

I installed Android wallet by Andreas Schildbach on a phone that does not have an SD card. Can you help me figuring out how to get the keys backup file out of the phone?

The “Export private keys” routine says it saves the backup to “/storage/emulated/0/Download/” location.
However when I browse the phone over MTP, I see no such folder. I do not have “data/data/” ether.

So, how do I get to the backup location?

Android version 4.2.2

Thanks.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:03:14 PM

MTP already shares the "SD-card", so look for a "Download" directory.

Its probably easier to backup to your email account or Google drive. After exporting, you're getting asked to Archive and select an app for that purpose.
TObject

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:12:15 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2013, 10:26:09 PM by TObject

The Download directory is there, but it got nothing except a few pdf files I downloaded through Android web browser.

I will try your other suggestion. Thank you.

Edit: Hmmm, I still need access to that folder in case I need to restore the backup, as restore does not seem to support email or Google drive, only internal/external storage.
TObject

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:51:18 PM

Ok, I figured it out. The issue is described here:
http://commonsware.com/blog/2011/08/31/mtp-external-storage.html

The workaround is as follows. Go to Settings – Apps – All, Media Storage, Click on “Clear cache,” then reboot the phone.
After that the bitcoin-wallet-keys backup file will show up in the “[\Internal storage]\Download” folder, via MTP.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:11:04 AM

Hey, I updated and I can't set the fee anymore? Oh, it was done on purpose. Okay. Yes, there should be an option to be able to adjust it upward, even if only by a satoshi.

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:36:04 AM

What do you want to achieve by raising the fee by one Satoshi?
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:55:40 PM

requests:

- make "export to multibit" an option
AND/OR
- make "export to aes.json blockchain.info" an option
AND/OR
- make "export w/o password" an option

as well as provide a "sign clipboard contents with default address" an option.

here's why:
bought a couple of Avalon Chips from my Android wallet, now they're making me sign stuff with the address.
Means I need to jump through a bunch of hoops to be able to do that.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:26:43 PM

requests:
AND/OR
AND/OR

As MultiBit and Bitcoin Wallet use the same interchangable export format, MultiBit is already supported.

I think someone mentioned Blockchain.info can read that format as well, so its also supported.

Exporting without password will not be supported for security reasons.

Its not top prio, but at some point I'd like to support signing and verifying as well. Can you open an enhancement request at

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:34:59 PM

requests:
AND/OR
AND/OR
As MultiBit and Bitcoin Wallet use the same interchangable export format, MultiBit is already supported.

urgh - just needed to rename it to ".key"
and enter the correct pwd ^^
maybe you can get the multibit guys to remove the forced naming convention when opening a file.

I can get behind that.

Its not top prio, but at some point I'd like to support signing and verifying as well. Can you open an enhancement request at
http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list
Uhm, yeah, sure.

^__^
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 04:27:21 PM

What do you want to achieve by raising the fee by one Satoshi?

It's still higher than the default minimum fee. When I said one Satoshi, that could also mean another 0.0001 or something similar, so now I'm paying double the default minimum fee.

I think it's been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you've got root, you can export the private key already. But people who root their phones probably know what they're doing. You might want to add an option that can only be set by root, for example, and then allow those people to set the fee as they like (zero or otherwise). This way, you still prevent newbies from doing this accidentally. A warning can also work ("warning: you are attempting to broadcast a transaction with a fee that is too low. Are you sure?")

Or something like that.

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:03:16 PM

People who know what they're doing can compile Bitcoin Wallet from source. Feel free to do so, it's open!

If you're root on your phone you can copy the wallet and unencrypted key backups anyway. See the readme.

Back to the idea of raising the fee: What do you want to achieve? I'd like to understand the reasoning.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:41:31 PM

People who know what they're doing can compile Bitcoin Wallet from source. Feel free to do so, it's open!

If you're root on your phone you can copy the wallet and unencrypted key backups anyway. See the readme.

Back to the idea of raising the fee: What do you want to achieve? I'd like to understand the reasoning.

Raising the fee by any amount gives the transaction a higher priority. Correct? Therefore, it should be confirmed faster than everything else that just gives the same standard fee or less. Even a 0.0001 increase should satisfy most miners and give them incentive to include your transaction in the next block.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 06:57:13 PM

But we are not even close to the 1mb size limit today so miners could also just accept your transaction without the higher fee.

Do you experience confirmation delays often?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: