Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121190 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 03:38:25 PM

Just had a weird thought:

Since this wallet can sign and transmit transactions over Bluetooth, doesn't this mean that you can essentially use it as a very secure cold-storage wallet, by disabling all data and internet connection on a separate phone running it, and leaving only Bluetooth powered up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 04:27:56 PM

Since this wallet can sign and transmit transactions over Bluetooth, doesn't this mean that you can essentially use it as a very secure cold-storage wallet, by disabling all data and internet connection on a separate phone running it, and leaving only Bluetooth powered up?

Not so weird, actually a good idea.

I personally would prefer a data connection that is thinner than Bluetooth and one which the user can check. One possibility would be QR codes.

But perhaps Bluetooth is secure enough. I cannot tell.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 04:36:57 PM

Not so weird, actually a good idea.

I personally would prefer a data connection that is thinner than Bluetooth and one which the user can check. One possibility would be QR codes.

But perhaps Bluetooth is secure enough. I cannot tell.

Hey, that would be neat, add the option to display the signed transaction as one, or a series, of QR codes, in case Bluetooth isn't an option. With used phones becoming so cheap, this might even give Armory and Trezzor some competition.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:18:58 PM

Hey, that would be neat, add the option to display the signed transaction as one, or a series, of QR codes, in case Bluetooth isn't an option. With used phones becoming so cheap, this might even give Armory and Trezzor some competition.

Sending payments via QR code was implemented a few years ago. Tap a transaction and then the QR button.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 10:27:31 PM

Sending payments via QR code was implemented a few years ago. Tap a transaction and then the QR button.

Wait, that's what the little QR thing up there is? HOLY CRAP!!!  Shocked
Question, can you create a transaction, or a series of transactions, without the prior transactions being confirmed yet? Just wondering about using a phone as cold storage options.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:50:29 AM

Question, can you create a transaction, or a series of transactions, without the prior transactions being confirmed yet? Just wondering about using a phone as cold storage options.

No, not with the current app.
RoooooR
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

GigTricks.io | A CRYPTO ECOSYSTEM FOR ON-DEMAND EC

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:20:37 PM

This app is great.. An engineering wonder. Thank you Mr.Schildbach !

Anyway I forgot 2 btc in there and delete the app.. I think the application should backup in background for forgetful like me.

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:29:07 PM

Anyway I forgot 2 btc in there and delete the app.. I think the application should backup in background for forgetful like me.

yeah, I second that. at least add another backup target (dropbox, MEGA, put.io, what have you)...
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:37:51 AM

I don't think this was answered above exactly but are there plans to allow turning an old phone into a cheap hardware wallet? Have some private keys exist on a phone (with some type of phrase to restore them in case the phone dies) that is disconnected from everything permanently and it just signs transactions using qr codes?
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:09:00 PM

yeah, I second that. at least add another backup target (dropbox, MEGA, put.io, what have you)...

Trouble is that such a feature would create a gaping security hole.

The program could ask for a password, but then people would forget the password. It is difficult to protect people from their own mistakes.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 03:43:52 PM

I don't think this was answered above exactly but are there plans to allow turning an old phone into a cheap hardware wallet? Have some private keys exist on a phone (with some type of phrase to restore them in case the phone dies) that is disconnected from everything permanently and it just signs transactions using qr codes?

It already shows signed transactions with a QR code. The only thing missing is it being able to update address balances from a QR code.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 03:12:42 AM

I gather that regarding using QR codes as comms for offline tx signing (which the CIYAM Safe does) the author is not keen to implement this due to the fact that if you're offline device has no block chain then it cannot know the amount of fee that is being paid (something that could perhaps be added to the script implementation down the track if there is enough demand).

Personally I don't see this attack as being really that much of a concern especially if you *know* how much you have in each of your UTXOs (but for the average joe this is perhaps too much to ask).

Anyway - if someone is interested in working on adding this feature then I'd be happy to set up a task on CIYAM Open and donate some BTC towards getting it done.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:58:58 AM

the author is not keen to implement this due to the fact that if you're offline device has no block chain then it cannot know the amount of fee that is being paid (something that could perhaps be added to the script implementation down the track if there is enough demand).
Couldn't the online device create the tx and it would know how to do the fees while all the offline device just does the final signing? The online device creates the tx. Offline device scans qr code to get tx details. Signs it and creates a qr code that the online device scans to get the completed tx.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 12:04:12 PM

Couldn't the online device create the tx and it would know how to do the fees while all the offline device just does the final signing? The online device creates the tx. Offline device scans qr code to get tx details. Signs it and creates a qr code that the online device scans to get the completed tx.

Absolutely - although the offline device cannot know the tx fee as it is not *in* the raw tx - the main problem is being sure that what you are signing is what you *think* that you are signing.

To most people who *do* raw tx's regularly (such as myself) this is not an issue (and I would love to be able to use an old mobile phone rather than something like a Trezor which *says you have bitcoins*) but I can understand that for most people this is perhaps a little too advanced.

As stated I would be willing to contribute BTC to get this developed - and I guess if others are also keen and we can come up with a reasonable amount for the task then perhaps someone might build it.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
hotwired007

Activity: 585

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:42:11 PM

I'm having some issues with my wallet keep crashing - i am using a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 - i regularly get this error message - The application Bitcoin (process de.schildbach.wallet) has stopped unexpectedly.

Do you have any recommendations on how to fix this? Its making the wallet pretty much unusable.

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:06:14 PM

Can you send me a crash report? In the generated mail, please refer to this thread.
hotwired007

Activity: 585

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:23:34 PM

Can you send me a crash report? In the generated mail, please refer to this thread.

how? - Figured it out Wink have sent it - fingers crossed there is some answers there.

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
jack.wong@zetakey.com

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:23:04 AM

Saw your message on
[Bitcoin-development] Experiment with linking payment requests via href

We could work out the way to handle payment via href in our browser to Bitcoin Wallet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zetakey.browser

Any ideas?
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 07:23:02 PM

I received some 1Sotchi spam to my android wallet, and after upgrade they were gone.  How will this spam be handled?  Is it completely removed from my wallet and will stay in the UTXO set forever?  Or just removed from my sight (thank you) and will be spent as an extra input to my next transactions, and just left as a fee?  A two input -> two output tx with a txfee of 0.00010001 will probably get confirmed just as fast as a one input -> two output tx with a standard txfee of 0.0001, but the first is IMHO better because it helps reduce the UTXO set.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
Populus

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:43:38 AM

Is this wallet still available? I can find Andreas Schildbach's apps on Google Play, all but the actual wallet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: