Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:03:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121190 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:23:00 AM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

Buy & Hold

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:04:22 PM

Does this app need an update for the SSL bug?

Buy & Hold
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:43:05 PM

There might be an issue for people on Android 4.1.1 only, which is about 4% of users. Andreas pushed an update that disables exchange rate fetching and the payment protocol for those users - hopefully a better update will come soon.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 04:18:36 AM

On A gs3 running 4.3 I find the wallet tends to block a LOT when switching to it after a short idle time.  I suspect this is a result of having an address book entry for every transaction as it seems to get worse each day.  Just fyi.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:18:54 AM

How many transactions and addresses are you in your wallet?

Bitcoin Wallet doesn't scale well to very large wallets. This is a known issue.
Rave

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:09:19 AM

This is a known issue.
It's a HUGE issue! The app became very useless for me within the last few weeks. It's very very slow and crashes a lot.

- Galaxy S4
- Cyanogenmod 11.0
- 11 Addresses
- 500+ Transactions

Wanna spend some Bitcoins with a prepaid Master Card? All you need is a VirWox Account and a Skrill Master Card Wink
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:00:44 PM

The limiting factor is not really the total number of transactions. What's more relevant is how many people are being paid by one transaction. A standard Bitcoin transaction only pays you. Mining and gambling payouts tend to pay thousands of people at once, and that is something we didn't really plan for. We're working on it.
Rave

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:13:07 AM

K, I used the App for miner payouts :/ Damn...but good to know that you're working on it...

Wanna spend some Bitcoins with a prepaid Master Card? All you need is a VirWox Account and a Skrill Master Card Wink
simonvrouwe

Activity: 56
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:34:23 PM

I am using this android wallet now for a 2 months and it is surprisingly fast in transactions, almost instantly. That is also the question I have, how can it be so fast? Does it have special well-connected nodes in its list?

Now I also noticed how 'slow' my bitcoin core v0.9.1.0-g026a939-beta (64-bit) on my desktop pc (kubuntu) is when I send a transaction. It takes almost a minute before the transaction shows up on blockchain.info, where using the android wallet it shows up instantly. I already used addnode= command in the bitcoin.conf file to add five 'fallback' nodes from here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fallback_Nodes.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:49:04 AM

It always queries the DNS seeds at startup so it gets a list of online nodes very fast. Core tries old nodes for a while that may have gone offline.
Rave

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:18:37 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2014, 02:39:19 PM by Rave

It became even worse...I can't use the App at all because it crashes after 3 seconds. I can't send anything and it displays a wrong amount of BTC. I tried to restore the backup but I got an error in openssl because the file wasn't readable because of a bug in an older version of the app...so I had to download the latest version of the app, create another backup, which was pretty annoying because the app crashed all the time...and then, finally I was able to load the new backup file in openssl. But the output file is unreadable.....god damn...this is the most annoying wallet ever -.-

Edit: Sorry, I was pissed off...the wallet is annoying....but it's also the one withe the best unser interface...just...please fix these problems Wink
Edit2: I was able to import the backup into the Mycelium Wallet...a very stable Android Wallet btw...

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:53:12 PM

Is this wallet still available? I can find Andreas Schildbach's apps on Google Play, all but the actual wallet.

I have the same question too. I see that there are few updates. Is this wallet ok to use? Besides having a problem when having lots of transactions is there any other big issue with this wallet?

Is there another decent/better Android Wallet?

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 09:49:22 AM

Is this wallet still available? I can find Andreas Schildbach's apps on Google Play, all but the actual wallet.

I have the same question too. I see that there are few updates. Is this wallet ok to use? Besides having a problem when having lots of transactions is there any other big issue with this wallet?

I thought Mycelium is the successor of this wallet.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:53:57 PM

Thank you. I haven't read anything about Android wallets and when I started my research the information seems to be a bit scarce.

I think Android and iOS should have their own separate sub-forums for an easier access to information because when you enter the Alternative clients forum I saw the Android word and went straight there.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 02:26:28 AM

This is not true.  I have this wallet and use it almost every day.  Great wallet.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:52:39 AM

I've used this wallet for sometime as a day-to-day "hotwallet".  I do have a feature request, or possibly I just don't know how to use the wallet.  I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?
cryptogoku

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 04:56:53 PM

~~sorry but just wanted to ask whether there is also a bitcoin wallet for ios, it would take much am glad for any help~~
~~thanks in advance~~
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:26:49 AM

I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?

I did not implement anything like this. Generally it is not recommended to manage addresses manually.
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:33:32 PM

I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?

I did not implement anything like this. Generally it is not recommended to manage addresses manually.

Hmm, I thought that was one of the main reasons you might provide "names" for addresses.  If I give you an address to pay me on and I name it "payments_from_AS" then if I want to see how much you've paid me or if you've paid me recently, I want some way to see only the payments to this address, right?  What other reason do we have for "naming" addresses in receiving addresses?
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:42:25 PM

Hmm, I thought that was one of the main reasons you might provide "names" for addresses.  If I give you an address to pay me on and I name it "payments_from_AS" then if I want to see how much you've paid me or if you've paid me recently, I want some way to see only the payments to this address, right?  What other reason do we have for "naming" addresses in receiving addresses?

That's right, it used to be like this. It works because most clients still reuse addresses (including Bitcoin Wallet). In future, addresses will not be reused, so there is no point in labeling them.

Information about who and for what you paid will be attached to the transactions themselves, or in the far future payment objects that bundle 1..n transactions.

I'm sure when we're at that point there will be ways to search, e.g. for payments to a specific merchant.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: