Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:10:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061069 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:27:32 PM

Disclosure:

I've just compiled a list of all addresses that have used MtGox's proprietary variant of the sign-message feature.
When wizkid057 returns home in an hour, the plan is to suspend payouts for these addresses until further resolution.
This will only work if you signed at least one settings message using MtGox's sign-message feature.
Any suggestions on how to reliably identify other MtGox addresses, or prove owners, is welcome.

Please note that we still cannot move balances between addresses, so do not depend on being able to recover bitcoins mined to MtGox addresses.
If you want your payouts on another address, begin mining with that new address immediately to ensure you are paid.

Merely making claims is of no value, so please don't bother trying.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:47:21 PM

Ouch, I didn't even think about that back-stop, nice catch Luke and Wk.

I've actually made an error in my wallet on a config file and mined into the ether for an hour or so. It's a weird thought for that on a larger scale.

C
pembo210

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:00:13 AM

Disclosure:
This will only work if you signed at least one settings message using MtGox's sign-message feature.
Any suggestions on how to reliably identify other MtGox addresses, or prove owners, is welcome. ...
Nice catch. Thankyou Luke/Wk
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 09:38:38 AM

Hi this thread moves so fast that my question got missed about 10 pages back.

Do you limit the number of non-transaction fee transfers per block?

Thanks.

Society doesn't scale.
un_ordinateur

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:34:43 PM

Hi this thread moves so fast that my question got missed about 10 pages back.

Thanks.

I don't know their rule for sure. However, they do claim to use a spam filter to filter out certain transactions. For certain, most of the last few blocks do not contain a lot of feeless transaction. However, this block that we found 2 hours ago contains two feeless transaction, so their rule cannot be "only one free transaction".

That being said, according to the transaction list of blockchain.info, there are really not a lot of transactions being sent with no fees. I'm not surprised, they take several hours to confirm.

However, a special rule that Eligius DOES enforce that other miners don't do is that they only allow a single transaction to a given address per block, to discourage address reuse, because there are some people currently trying to create an address blacklist/whitelist, something wizkid and luke-jr consider a bad thing for bitcoin. If address are not reused, and a new address is created for each transaction, then such list cannot work.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:46:57 PM

Yes, every miner does AFAIK.

anth0ny

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:32:22 PM

That being said, according to the transaction list of blockchain.info, there are really not a lot of transactions being sent with no fees.

Not that blockchain.info knows about. Since the best way to get no-fee transactions into a block is to send them directly to the miners, I wouldn't expect blockchain.info to know about many of them.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:53:22 PM

That being said, according to the transaction list of blockchain.info, there are really not a lot of transactions being sent with no fees.

Not that blockchain.info knows about. Since the best way to get no-fee transactions into a block is to send them directly to the miners, I wouldn't expect blockchain.info to know about many of them.
I'm confused about what you're saying. Either the transaction includes a fee or it doesn't, regardless of who relays the transaction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:56:55 PM

I'm confused about what you're saying. Either the transaction includes a fee or it doesn't, regardless of who relays the transaction.

Some no-fee transactions won't get relayed by the standard client, but still might get included by a miner. Anth0ny seems to be saying that the majority of no-fee transactions are like that, but I'm not sure why he believes this.
anth0ny

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:02:12 PM

Some no-fee transactions won't get relayed by the standard client, but still might get included by a miner.

Yeah, exactly.

Anth0ny seems to be saying that the majority of no-fee transactions are like that, but I'm not sure why he believes this.

Because no-fee transactions which aren't very high priority are non-standard, or not relayed, or whatever the term is.

I might be confusing things, though. The documentation on this (on the wiki) is really bad.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:03:55 PM

Because no-fee transactions which aren't very high priority are non-standard, or not relayed, or whatever the term is.

Do you have data on the frequency of these transactions in mined blocks?
anth0ny

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:08:24 PM

Do you have data on the frequency of these transactions in mined blocks?

No. (One of the reasons why I said "I wouldn't expect..." rather than "I have data which shows...")
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

Some no-fee transactions won't get relayed by the standard client, but still might get included by a miner.

Yeah, exactly.

Anth0ny seems to be saying that the majority of no-fee transactions are like that, but I'm not sure why he believes this.

I might be confusing things, though. The documentation on this (on the wiki) is really bad.
Yes, but once that miner includes them in a block, they will be on blockchain.info unless there's something really wrong with their system.
anth0ny

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:13:19 PM

Yeah, exactly.

Yes, but once that miner includes them in a block, they will be on blockchain.info unless there's something really wrong with their system.

Once they're in a block they won't be in the unconfirmed transaction list, which is what un linked to.
un_ordinateur

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:15:29 PM

Yeah, exactly.

The won't be in the unconfirmed transaction list, which is what un linked to.

I tried to find on blockchain.info a list of the latest confirmed transactions, but I have not found any. Sad
anth0ny

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:17:41 PM

I tried to find on blockchain.info a list of the latest confirmed transactions, but I have not found any. Sad

Click on the latest block for the latest confirmed transactions. Smiley

But that's not going to give you a good sample, because it's all from a single miner.
un_ordinateur

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:21:48 PM

With my experience, I believe that feeless transactions are relayed, and are standart. (Blockchain.info reports that a feeless transaction I send is relayed all over the network very fast. Only when I sent a transaction to a universally "disliked" site, such as satoshidice, even with a fee, that my transaction would not relay.) However, there is currently a cap enforced on the size of blocks, thus on the amount of transactions a miner may put in it. Miners will of course put the transactions that gives them the most fee first, and if there is no place left for free transactions, well.. sorry!
un_ordinateur

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:23:55 PM

Click on the latest block for the latest confirmed transactions. Smiley

But that's not going to give you a good sample, because it's all from a single miner.

Exactly. I'd have prefered if they had a list of all the recent transactions, in bulk.

I guess it would not be to difficult to code a simple program to sweep through the blockchain and do an histogram of the distribution of fees for all the transactions over the last month, for transactions; but I have no time for such thing now.
anth0ny

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:54:49 PM

With my experience, I believe that feeless transactions are relayed, and are standart. (Blockchain.info reports that a feeless transaction I send is relayed all over the network very fast.

Any idea what the priority of it is? I believe the priority has to be at least 1 BTC-day to have a free transaction relayed by the standard client.

But if you can find something which says otherwise, please post it here, and I'll try to convince someone to update https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees and/or https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Free_transaction_relay_policy

However, there is currently a cap enforced on the size of blocks, thus on the amount of transactions a miner may put in it. Miners will of course put the transactions that gives them the most fee first, and if there is no place left for free transactions, well.. sorry!

The vast majority of blocks don't even come within 10% of that limit. Most miners leave out most free transactions even if there's room for them.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:00:52 PM

Yes, every miner does AFAIK.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: