Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:55:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061039 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tm4

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:30:32 PM

I'm in some agreement that I would like a payout in less than the 10 days I have been waiting, still waiting. I am just trying this pool right now, and the delay is a bit strange.

Is there a post that explains in simple yet complete terms why it works this way? I don't completely get it from reading the faq. -maybe a better answer is available.

Overall I'm happy with the pool but what I am saying is that apparently the coins are there so why are we waiting for them?
It stops me from bringing my other miners here, for now.

Someone's probably explained the delay issue very well, a good business reason for the delay, but searching didn't seem to pinpoint that post.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
un_ordinateur

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:11:05 PM

I'm in some agreement that I would like a payout in less than the 10 days I have been waiting, still waiting. I am just trying this pool right now, and the delay is a bit strange.

Is there a post that explains in simple yet complete terms why it works this way? I don't completely get it from reading the faq. -maybe a better answer is available.

Overall I'm happy with the pool but what I am saying is that apparently the coins are there so why are we waiting for them?
It stops me from bringing my other miners here, for now.

Someone's probably explained the delay issue very well, a good business reason for the delay, but searching didn't seem to pinpoint that post.

The whole point of Eligius is that it does hold the coins itself. The miners are payed directly from the generation transaction when the block is mined. Since the pool never holds the coin, then it can't steal them from you, nor can they be stolen if the pool is hacked.

That does come with a few constraints though. First, it can only pay out when it does find a block, contrarely to other pools. Secondly, coins from the generation transaction must mature for 120 blocks before they can be used.

Occasionnally, the pool encounters a situation when it cannot accurately determine who gets to be payed by the next block. (For example, a blocks gets orphaned). In those situations, the pool prefers to default sending the coins to an offline wallet controled by the pool operstor, instead of stopping mining altogether. Essentially, in those cases, the pool "reverts" to a "regular" pool, where you must trust the operater it'll send the money to you.

When the pool is in failsafe mode, the users still earn reward though. But they are not getting payed by the generation transaction as they should. So the payout queue builds up. When the pool leaves failsafe, it will resume payout with that queue, which is now huge. So a delay is to be expected, since it always pays those who have not been payed for the longest first, whatever is the "owed" amount.

Now, at that point, all the coins earned while the failsafe have not been sent to the user. The pool operator must manually initiate that payment, since the wallet is offline.

Now we were unlucky last week because failsafe was triggered 3 times, one of which lasted for a whole day. So a lot of money is due to be sent when wizkid will get to it. He likes to check the payment first before sending them to be sure there is no mistake.

When will he do it? I really don't know. He usually does manual payments once a week. It nothing urgent; the pool does work presently, and waiting for 3 days for some money will not kill anybody. But I fully trust he will eventually get to it: two months ago, the pool had a major failure in which the website was down for a whole week. During that time tens of thousands of BTC were sent to the offline wallet, and nobody was getting payed. He could have run with a shitload of money and nobody could have done anything about it. Yet, the website came back online, and everybody got payed in full. So a delay of a few days does not worry me at all.
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:16:43 PM

When will he do it? I really don't know. He usually does manual payments once a week. It nothing urgent; the pool does work presently, and waiting for 3 days for some money will not kill anybody. But I fully trust he will eventually get to it: two months ago, the pool had a major failure in which the website was down for a whole week. During that time tens of thousands of BTC were sent to the offline wallet, and nobody was getting payed. He could have run with a shitload of money and nobody could have done anything about it. Yet, the website came back online, and everybody got payed in full. So a delay of a few days does not worry me at all.
+1.  Despite the "I want my coinz now!" stuff (ME included!  Grin ), this is the best pool I've used.  Yes it has problems occasionally, but I always get my BTC in the end.

Keep up the good work wizkid.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
TodaysGandalf

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:48:27 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2014, 03:17:27 AM by TodaysGandalf

OK, this is my first post to Bitcointalk and it has to be a complaint.  <sigh>

Wizards of Eligius: Wizkid057, Luke JR., et al;

Please forgive me if this question has been addressed elsewhere.

As a datacenter engineer and networking engineer myself, I, like most everyone in these chats that has the presence of mind to consider the vagaries of technology, love the pool you've created and appreciate your (sometimes Herculean) efforts to keep it all together as things grow and evolve.  In addition to you having a full time job!!  I can tolerate a LOT of idiosyncrasies and speed bumps along the way... even fail-safe mode

However... The delay to payout has gotten MUCH worse since Multipool was added on 3/7/14.  I understand and appreciate that every gigahash added to the pool (or terahash in this case) makes for bigger payouts for everyone, or it wouldn't be worth doing pools.  But, it doesn't do us any good if we don't get the payouts.  Isn't there something that can be done to get payouts quicker under these new conditions?

Over the last two weeks, my wait has gone from one day to two days then, after Multipool was added, I'm on my sixth day and there is still 23 blocks ahead of me.  And, unless I'm mistaken, it also looks like the blocks ahead of me goes up sometimes.  It's hard to keep track across several days.  It's not a queue if one can get bumped backward.

Lastly, with all the concerns about hot wallet security lately, I'd like to have my BTC in >MY< cold wallet sooner than later.

So basically  Huh  can anything be done about this payout delay, even a little?

As always, I appreciate your efforts and the gem of a pool you've created.

Keep up the good work!

Todays Gandalf

P. S. What are orphan blocks why/how do they occur?

[edit] I found the answer to this question at https://blockchain.info/orphaned-blocks

Almost every orphaned block I examined had been submitted by ghash.io.  Another reason to consider them evil.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 03:25:14 AM

<snip> ... The delay to payout has gotten MUCH worse since Multipool was added on 3/7/14.  I understand and appreciate that every gigahash added to the pool (or terahash in this case) makes for bigger payouts for everyone, or it wouldn't be worth doing pools.  But, it doesn't do us any good if we don't get the payouts.  Isn't there something that can be done to get payouts quicker under these new conditions?

Over the last two weeks, my wait has gone from one day to two days then, after Multipool was added, I'm on my sixth day and there is still 23 blocks ahead of me. .... <snip>

I'm going to sound stupid for asking, but what's "multipool"? I can't find it on Eligius' website (after a brief check). Has Eligius followed BTCGuild's lead and created a "scryptguild" type multi-scrypt coin mining pool?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
un_ordinateur

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:26:57 AM

However... The delay to payout has gotten MUCH worse since Multipool was added on 3/7/14.  I understand and appreciate that every gigahash added to the pool (or terahash in this case) makes for bigger payouts for everyone, or it wouldn't be worth doing pools.  But, it doesn't do us any good if we don't get the payouts.  Isn't there something that can be done to get payouts quicker under these new conditions?
The gigahash added to the pool doenst increase payout for anybody. It does, however, reduce the variability in the payouts. In other words, you get smaller, but more frequent rewards.

Over the last two weeks, my wait has gone from one day to two days then, after Multipool was added, I'm on my sixth day and there is still 23 blocks ahead of me.
The queue is not due to the incresase of the hashrate per se, but because of the failsafe mode in which the pool does not send rewards to miners, so the queue grows. When wizkid will a manual payment with the coins that were mined during the failsafe, the queue will shrink back to 2-3 blocks.

That being said, maybe the increase of hashrate makes the pool more unstable and has increased the likelyhood of triggering the failsafe. I don't know.

And, unless I'm mistaken, it also looks like the blocks ahead of me goes up sometimes.  It's hard to keep track across several days.  It's not a queue if one can get bumped backward.

The queue is always ordered by how long it has been when you recieved your last payment, so thant one that has not been payed the longest gets payed first. But miners are not added to the queue unless they are to be payed a minimum amount. Small miners cross their payment treshold only about once a week, whereas big miners may cross their treshold multiple times a day. So when a small miner crosses his treshold, he bumbs back a fast miner to be payed in priority. But in the end everybody gets their money.

Lastly, with all the concerns about hot wallet security lately, I'd like to have my BTC in >MY< cold wallet sooner than later.

Eligius DOES NOT have a hot wallet. It's one of it's main security feature. Miners are payed directly from the generation transaction, so the pool never handles any money directly. So even if the pool is compromised, the hacker cannot steal any money. The worst they could do is (potentially) divert the newly mined coins elsewhere, but it would be easily spotted by miners since payout would stop, and they would divert their hashpowerelsewhere until the problem is fixed.

That being said, if the failsafe is triggered, the coins are sent to the COLD WALLET instead, from which wizkid will manually initiate a payout like I said earlier. So the coins are never in a hot wallet, so they are safe. But I understand your desire to hold them the earliest you can, it should be done soon enough. As I said in my precedent post, I trust wizkid he will not steal the money. But that's me.

P. S. What are orphan blocks why/how do they occur?

If two different pools find a block at the same time, both are equally valid for the blockchain. But when a block will be found over one of those two blocks, then that chain becomes the main chain, and the other block is said to be orphaned. The reward that was in that block is lost forever/cannot be used for any payment, it's like it had never been sent. So when an Eligius block is orphaned, Eligius credits back the reward to those who were payed out in that block, because it doens't exist in the blockchain anymore. It happens occasionally, it is normal and expected behavior of the blockchain.
un_ordinateur

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:29:44 AM

I'm going to sound stupid for asking, but what's "multipool"? I can't find it on Eligius' website (after a brief check). Has Eligius followed BTCGuild's lead and created a "scryptguild" type multi-scrypt coin mining pool?

I believe (but I don't know for sure) that one of the biggest SHA-256 coin-switching pool decided to send their hashpower to Eligius when it determines BTC is the most profitable coin to mine. And most of the time, BTC is indeed the most profitable SHA-256 coin to mine. But it's only a guess.
Threader

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:39:30 AM

Most likely I will be asleep by the time this catches up, so, when it does automated payouts will resume, but with a pretty big payout queue backlog.  Tomorrow night I will make sure to get a manual payout done to catch it up again.

So what ever happened to the foretold manual payout?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 03:48:04 AM

I believe (but I don't know for sure) that one of the biggest SHA-256 coin-switching pool decided to send their hashpower to Eligius when it determines BTC is the most profitable coin to mine. And most of the time, BTC is indeed the most profitable SHA-256 coin to mine. But it's only a guess.

Ah, thank you. I do so hate to miss out on gossip! Smiley

TodaysGandalf

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:30:34 AM

No gossip about it, it's a fact that I stumbled across completely by accident.
See the news here: https://www.multipool.us/

multipool.us is now using Eligius as their BTC pool of preference.

My other though is we may just be getting past the tremendous uptick in activity brought on by that change and the pool will level out later.  TBD I guess.
un_ordinateur

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:36:40 AM

Most likely I will be asleep by the time this catches up, so, when it does automated payouts will resume, but with a pretty big payout queue backlog.  Tomorrow night I will make sure to get a manual payout done to catch it up again.

So what ever happened to the foretold manual payout?

As far as I know, it has not been done yet. No idea why.
TodaysGandalf

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:59:55 AM

Hey organofcorti!  Maybe Multipool.us will replace the sizable loss of terahashes from Eligius caused when the KnCminer pool got fickle and left Eligius to go solo... again.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:23:12 AM

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/topcontributors.php

Multipool isn't even in the top 30 of contributers and is only 0.22% of the total pool hashrate. I'd be shocked if multipool made any difference at all.
TodaysGandalf

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 07:47:47 AM

OK, I see that.  Then, I wonder, who in the world is 1Nbq2XZaRsKknf5fcT2wTXvBS31PaUWSeX at 990TH/18.77%?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 07:49:24 AM

OK, I see that.  Then, I wonder, who in the world is 1Nbq2XZaRsKknf5fcT2wTXvBS31PaUWSeX at 990TH/18.77%?

It's one of KNCMiner's addresses.

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 11:13:48 AM

I thought that one was Bitmain?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 11:40:41 AM

I thought that one was Bitmain?

I suppose it's possible -  do you have a source?

I assumed that since coins from 1Nbq2XZaRsKknf5fcT2wTXvBS31PaUWSeX get combined with 1A73ExsM2doRwTLp82rv5U36QHbBFmHD1X and then paid elsewhere that they belong together - and AFAIK KNC own 1A73ExsM2doRwTLp82rv5U36QHbBFmHD1X.

sikke

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:14:43 PM

1431.25145709 BTC are ahead in queue, putting this user's payout after a 57 block delay.

Is it me or is this thing growing.

1536.49292671 BTC are ahead in queue, putting this user's payout after a 61 block delay.

+100btc since yesterday. Why the que gets bigger.
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:23:37 PM

1431.25145709 BTC are ahead in queue, putting this user's payout after a 57 block delay.

Is it me or is this thing growing.

1536.49292671 BTC are ahead in queue, putting this user's payout after a 61 block delay.

+100btc since yesterday. Why the que gets bigger.

I would guess that some older shares where added to the top of the queue thus you got pushed down.
As soon as wizkid is doing the manual payout this should normalize.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:57:58 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2014, 04:45:16 PM by roy7

Hey organofcorti!  Maybe Multipool.us will replace the sizable loss of terahashes from Eligius caused when the KnCminer pool got fickle and left Eligius to go solo... again.

I really wish some big farms would run p2pool. p2pool needs the hash rate. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: