Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:28:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061084 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:37:30 PM

I hadn't thought of it but I guess having a head start on the next block in larger pools can help, but Eligius is consistently pool #2 or #3.  I wonder how much difference it would make over time compared to #1.

I'm not sure. Technically you can't hold the answer for long; if someone else gets it you totally lose. But if you have huge hashing it might be worth it, I don't know. Then again I am probably missing something very very basic, anyone?

One thing large pools have over smaller pools is they are more likely to be able to build on their own block, hence reducing orphans, since the longest chain wins.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:37:49 PM

It is my understanding that if you leave this pool eventually you will still get your 3% or whatever shelved shares.

You may get the 3%. You are still eligible for payouts but whether old shares get paid out depends on luck.The older they are the more luck would be required to ever pay them (and therefore the less likely they are to get paid).

BTW, luck has been somewhat poor recently which is why you are seeing 97% payouts (sometimes less). I've seen 99%+ at times in the past.

The head start effect is real but the value is very small. It would only matter if you solve another block very quickly (within a few seconds). Most of the time it doesn't matter.

BillTech

Activity: 296
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 08:09:50 PM

stats back up
sikke

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:14:50 PM

stats back up

And some massive manual payouts done. Closer to 1500BTC
So everyone can be happy again. Wizkid just paid 1000000$ to miners.
BillTech

Activity: 296

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:11:57 PM

stats back up

And some massive manual payouts done. Closer to 1500BTC
So everyone can be happy again. Wizkid just paid 1000000$ to miners.

I noticed  Grin
bizzyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652

Don't look at my signature!

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 10:26:36 PM

I haven't discussed this with wizkid057 yet, but I just wanted to get an idea of the community's thoughts on it:
What if Eligius had a mandatory 0.5% fee per every % of the network we get over 25%?
So 27% of the bitcoin network would make a 1% fee.
The fee would include existing donation %s (possibly disabled entirely for outside-the-automatic-system donors), so you could still direct where you wanted your portion used.

Opinions? Smiley
I really hope you guys start charging a fee.
There's a lot to be said about being the best rather than the biggest.
Yes, you'd lose some TH if you charged a fee, but most will either not care, not Notice or be quite happy as long as they saw results.
I'm not alone in thinking you guys should be getting a decent remuneration and be able to aggressively invest and improve eligius.
A fixed rate of between 0.75-1.5% seems totally reasonable.
It seems the pool has reached tipping point and now is the time to make that decision, and most miners will support that.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░███▀░░░░░░▀███
░░███░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░██░░░░░███
███░░░░░░██░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░██░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░█████░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░███░░░░░░░░░░███
░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ░░░████░░░░░░░████
░░███░██░░░░░██░███
░░██░░░███░███░░░██
░░██░░░░░███░░░░░██
█████████████████████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████

░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████

░░░░░░
░░░░░██░░░░░░
░░░░████░░░░░▐█
░░░░█████░░░░███
░░░░░█████░░████
░░█░░░█████░████
░██░░░██████████
████░████░█████
█████████░░███
███████░░░██
░░▀████░░░█▀
░░░░░
   ░██████████████████▀██████░
█████████░░██████▀████████
█████████░░███▀▄████████
███████░░██░░▄██░░███████
██████▌░░░██▄▄██░░░▐██████
██████░░░░░█████░░░░░██████
██████░░░░░░███░░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
█████░░░██░░░░░░░██░░░█████
████░░░████▌░░░▐████░░░████
████░░░█████▌▐█████░░░████
███░░░███████████████░░░███
███░░░███████████████░░░███
░█████████████████████████░
MONETARYUNIT
.......for Me, U & Everyone.......
[/
sdjernes

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 02:13:03 AM

To all those that think our friend WizKid should charge a fee:

DONATE

I am running a puny 475Ghs setup compared to most of you. I donate 1% to each category. My system is also running MinePeon for 127Ghs of the total so it donates 15 minutes a day.

Our friends do not arbitrarily charge us for things but they would like us to willingly help out where we can. Think of it this way if a friend drives you around because your car is in the shop, you are going to maturely offer him/her gas money and maybe dinner for their troubles.

Thanks,
Shawn
flounderella

Activity: 350

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 03:27:11 AM

I'm moving my miners off Eligius. May come back if things improve but this is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong. I've always supported Eligius and donated my fair share and pointed most of my hash here but I'm a small (sub 1TH) miner and stats are important to me to know where things stand and maybe because I'm OCD about it. I don't expect pretty charts, just a working simple html page will do. Hope things improve because I really want this pool to shine having spent so much time at it.

And yeah I'm still here mostly (2/3rd at Eligius and 1/3rd at the evil Ghash.io because frequent payouts are sometimes nice too)
Rock6.3

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:18:28 AM

AUTO-NOTICE: The CPPSRB reward system appears to be in fail-safe mode.
Rock6.3

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:23:25 AM

AUTO-NOTICE: The CPPSRB reward system appears to be in fail-safe mode.

And we are back to normal, but my place in payment que went from 8 block delay to not yet eligible for payment.... (cry)
TodaysGandalf

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:49:49 AM

I learned a lesson today that disenchanted me with Eligius, pool mining and Bitcoin in general.

Last night, one of my miners found a block.  Hope against hope, it found a block!   Shocked  With only 1.2TH at my command, with odds of five quadrillion to one, it found a block!  I briefly did the Snoopy happy dance.  25BTC!  That's $15,750!  The things I could do with that amount of money.  I could pay for the miners I had gone into debt to purchase and still have a nice chiunk of pocket change!  Stats were still offline so I couldn't see the impact.  I went to bed.

This morning I checked my payouts... and there was nothing.  Nothing but a measly 0.39BTC for four days of mining.  Angry
$15,750 had been taken from me!  Distributed to the pool!  Not one extra bitcoin was given to me for having the miner that did the work.  Then I realized what a Communist plot pool mining is.  You have no chance to rise above your station in life comrade.  Your efforts are for the good of all.  You shall not benefit from your efforts beyond the average level of your hashing power.

Given my inability to afford to purchase at least 100TH of mining power, I will never know the joy of mining a block and receiving the full reward.  I could try mining solo, but I may never see that level of luck again in my lifetime without the aforementioned 100TH of mining power, and the target keeps rising.  With each person or group that struggles to surpass the competition by having more mining power that most of the pack, the difficulty rises almost exponentially.

In Bitcoin, as in life, the spoils once again go only to the wealthy power-brokers.  Satoshi you have failed to create the coin of the common man!  This shall be its fatal flaw that will either make Bitcoin fail entirely, or cause it to become just another currency used to manipulate and control the masses.

<sigh>
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:05:44 AM

I learned a lesson today that disenchanted me with Eligius, pool mining and Bitcoin in general.

Last night, one of my miners found a block.  Hope against hope, it found a block!   Shocked  With only 1.2TH at my command, with odds of five quadrillion to one, it found a block!  I briefly did the Snoopy happy dance.  25BTC!  That's $15,750!  The things I could do with that amount of money.  I could pay for the miners I had gone into debt to purchase and still have a nice chiunk of pocket change!  Stats were still offline so I couldn't see the impact.  I went to bed.

This morning I checked my payouts... and there was nothing.  Nothing but a measly 0.39BTC for four days of mining.  Angry
$15,750 had been taken from me!  Distributed to the pool!  Not one extra bitcoin was given to me for having the miner that did the work.  Then I realized what a Communist plot pool mining is.  You have no chance to rise above your station in life comrade.  Your efforts are for the good of all.  You shall not benefit from your efforts beyond the average level of your hashing power.

Given my inability to afford to purchase at least 100TH of mining power, I will never know the joy of mining a block and receiving the full reward.  I could try mining solo, but I may never see that level of luck again in my lifetime without the aforementioned 100TH of mining power, and the target keeps rising.  With each person or group that struggles to surpass the competition by having more mining power that most of the pack, the difficulty rises almost exponentially.

In Bitcoin, as in life, the spoils once again go only to the wealthy power-brokers.  Satoshi you have failed to create the coin of the common man!  This shall be its fatal flaw that will either make Bitcoin fail entirely, or cause it to become just another currency used to manipulate and control the masses.

<sigh>

Welcome to the REAL world my friend  Roll Eyes  

What made you think.........since you are in a pool.........that YOU would get any other reward besides recognition  Grin

Pretty soon the only ones making any BTC will be the "mining corporations",They know exactly what they are doing & will do whatever they can to get rich,just like a real life corporation...............very sad,its only a matter of time & us little shits will be run out of mining  Cry  Those that have.....will have more.........................

I hope Eligius gets their pool together...I do thank wizkid & Lukejr for their time & effort...but I need a regular payout timeframe.

Yes,I live on some of my earnings.That's MY decision to do as I wish with my earnings  Tongue

Good luck guys!!!!!

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
TodaysGandalf

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:54:52 AM

<sigh>

What made you think.........since you are in a pool.........that YOU would get any other reward besides recognition  Grin

Pretty soon the only ones making any BTC will be the "mining corporations",They know exactly what they are doing & will do whatever they can to get rich,just like a real life corporation...............very sad,its only a matter of time & us little shits will be run out of mining  Cry  Those that have.....will have more.........................

I hope Eligius gets their pool together...I do thank wizkid & Lukejr for their time & effort...but I need a regular payout timeframe.

Yes,I live on some of my earnings.That's MY decision to do as I wish with my earnings  Tongue

Good luck guys!!!!!

Heh, I didn't even get recognition.   Sad

The "mining corporations", as you put it, solve hundreds of blocks per day.  Maybe there might be some bump of reward for the underdog that solves a block with clearly insufficient power to guarantee that outcome?  But, alas, the corporations would abuse that as well.  They would just use many wallet addresses with only a few hundred gigahash per wallet, pretending to be an intrepid individual miner deserving a little extra bump.

What really soured the milk for me was the ABSENCE of clear documentation stating what happens in the off chance you find a block.  Something to the effect of:
"Abandon all hope of any block rewards all ye who enter the pool.  The block rewards are not yours, nor will they ever be.  ALL mining results are spread throughout the pool to yield homogenous 'fair' payouts."
THAT would have set my expectations correctly from day one.

All the gobbledygook about CPPSRB, luck, rounds, etc. made NO sense to me when I was starting out with mining.  All that information is written to inform the already informed.

Everything cryptocurrency related is SEVERELY lacking in clear explanation, even in the WiKis.  Then again, I find ANYTHING that even vaguely relates to cryptography is severely lacking in clarity, even with the BEST of efforts.
gorgatron

Activity: 110

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:55:07 AM

To all those that think our friend WizKid should charge a fee:

DONATE

I am running a puny 475Ghs setup compared to most of you. I donate 1% to each category. My system is also running MinePeon for 127Ghs of the total so it donates 15 minutes a day.

Our friends do not arbitrarily charge us for things but they would like us to willingly help out where we can. Think of it this way if a friend drives you around because your car is in the shop, you are going to maturely offer him/her gas money and maybe dinner for their troubles.

Thanks,
Shawn

I think a fair number of those in favor of some sort of fee are donating. My setup is smaller, and I'm not bothered by donating or the prospect of a fee. They are providing a service (that bit of obviousness isn't directed at you - we're mostly on the same page, I'd assume, in most regards in this matter), and at a point where it was easier to manage, no fee was just fine.

In general and at the community:

It kind of reminds me of someone who's a good baker making cupcakes as a hobby-job, earning a bit here and there from people as the news about the deliciousness of said cupcakes spreads word-of-mouth. At some point, the person realizes they can either scale back in order to keep the wagon from flying off the wheels from their day job, or whatever you wish to imagine, since by trying to keep all plates spinning might cause the quality of the cupcakes to diminish. In this case, since the site tends to be the point of complaint, the hobby baker lacks time to decorate the cupcakes as nicely as before, so some customers stop buying, OR, the hobby baker can take it to the next level, charge a bit more for the cupcakes, and, yes, still lose are few customers, but by improving on their craft, draws in more customers that are willing to pay a little more, while still saving a bit than if they had gone to some flashier large-scale baker, who charges more but the actual cupcakes really aren't any better.

Perhaps a low flat fee, with also an option to donate, may be worth considering. In stead of 1% or even 0.5%, you charge only 0.25% (or whatever), which would still undercut competition and be low enough to attract people, and it's low enough that many users already donating won't have the attitude of "Well, now I'm paying, so why should I bother donating?" I don't know what it costs to run the operation. Not at all, so the numbers are a little arbitrary. I know most pools I've used charge 1% or more. I used Slush's pool for a while an thought it was fine, even with the fee, and at the time I left, the stat pages were no better, the look of the site was no better, and so on and so forth. Hell, even pools charging a considerably high fee ask for donations. This may rub some people the wrong way, but I'll just go ahead an say it: for a community of people that go on ad nauseam about their Libertarian, capitalist ideals, I see a whole lot of hands sticking out asking for donations for fuck all. (Don't get it twisted, one sees this everywhere sans gushing adoration for Libertarian ideals, which are always fine by me as long as those doing the gushing abide by them - the whole' practice what you preach' thing.) Eligius is a service, and generally a damn fine one at that. I love the fact that it is offered for free and people can decide what it's worth to them, but in the long run the altruism will most likely not be reciprocated may the majority, and things start to break down.

I grow irritated when people come here bitching about not getting payouts fast and all kinds of other crap when they are using a service that is gratis. If the operators were thieves, or payouts were tied up for weeks, that would be cause for action. You use a free pool and it takes longer to get some issue ironed out, what the fuck else do you expect? Seriously?

To wrap up this monster of a post, put pen to paper, figure out how much you need to get where you want to go, and a little beyond, and derive a modest fee. Yeah, you'll take a hit in the amount of donations you're receiving, but you probably notice a fluctuation anyways as difficulty rises and some miners feel they can no longer afford to donate. Still, others will continue to reward you for quality work. The only thing to add is that by adding a fee, you will be open to a little scrutiny when the stats go into fail-safe mode every other day, and so on. As soon as you attach even the smallest fee to your service, the majority begins to feel even more entitled... And to an extent they will be, but only like 0.5% more than they were when it was all free and whatnot. Wink
lowerjerzey

Activity: 106

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:15:44 AM

Topic change!

I've started working on a pool desktop app. It's moving along pretty smooth except for the site unavailability hampering testing. The model is mostly done. All I have left to code up is pulling in the mined block data. I implemented both the historic api and WizKid's new api. Here's a screen shot of it pulling in my user stats.
https://i.imgur.com/5cFrgte.jpg
Here's one with the pool hashrate.
https://i.imgur.com/r906ONA.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but this part was the bitch. Once that's finished, the fun part begins. I'll work on the controller and then slap a view together. It'll start off simple. I'll have it just mimic the site but with one addition. I'll add the ability to set a min hashrate. If your hashrate falls below the min, I can have a giant window popup with a klaxon blaring. Once I get something simple done, I can add options, configurations, data analysis, skins,.... like a desktop widget displaying just your hashrate or have it run as a service simply checking your hashrate or payout, like a cha ching sound can play with a popup when you get paid, or a notification that you entered the payout queue.  Things like that.

This pool is pretty darn open and supplies lots of data. I don't fully understand what all the data means/represents so I'll probably need help with compiling them into useful things.

I can't mimic the nice graphs. The api doesn't supply a user's hashrate history. The best resolution for data is 1 minute for user stats.  So, I could make my own graph overtime while the app runs, but I think that is stupid.  It also doesn't supply individual worker info. I could use WebViewClient to load your user stat page then inject some javascript to display just the graphs and worker info in my app.  But, I've never done this and don't want to be pulling out my hair trying to get it to work.  So, if anyone knows how to do this, code it up and pass it along. 

I'll try to throw a quick android app together. I haven't messed with Android since Froyo so I'll be pretty much relearning it.  I have some Android knowledgeable friends at work that could knock something out rather quickly.  I'll copy off the slush pool app.  It's clean and simple.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eiabea.btcdroid

Also, if you own a chumby or infocast, I can throw something together for that too.  Leave it by your TV or on your desk and let it monitor. Here's a hack I did for the infocast. I got JBox2d to run on it.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8333

Any requests, suggestions, or help is more than welcome.

Oh, also, when wizkid took the stats down, some of the api's were still available. So, some of the features that will be in this app would have still worked.

Resume bitching!

▓▓▓█████████████████████████████░░          UBEX          ░░█████████████████████████████▓▓▓
▓██████████████████░░          Global Decentralized Advertising Exchange          ░░██████████████████▓
▓███░   • Telegram  • Facebook  • ANN Thread  • Youtube  • LinkedIn  • Twitter • Medium  • Reddit  • Github   ░███▓
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:14:15 AM

...even with the BEST of efforts.

I mine on bitparking now, and block finders get the reward of all transaction fees for that block. it's DGM and rounds can be long and arduous, but it's worth it.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
movellan

Activity: 355
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:47:32 AM

Quit griping. I found a block last August when the diff was 50 mil and I was mining with 12 gh. I would never have found it if I wasn't in the pool and neither would you, so stop whining and keep hashing.
un_ordinateur

Activity: 157

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:50:09 AM

Looking at the pool there are some people are months or weeks "old". Then there are 6, 5, 4, ect days old. Does this mean those people havent been paid out their balances in that time frame?
Exactly. The balance age is how much time has elapsed since a miner has recieved it's most recent payment. (or the day they started mining if they havent recieved a payment yet).

Some very small miner may take months before they accumulate enough coins to cross the minimum payment treshold. People may also voluntarely increase the payment treshold upwards to be payed less often.

However, the greatest balance age is always payed in priority: so a miner who finally crosses it's payout treshold after two weeks will be placed earlier in the payout queue that a miner who crosses that threshold every day.

My stats say "1206.19151064 BTC are ahead in queue, putting this user's payout after a 48 block delay". What kind of delay is this going to cause? Finding myself in the overall payout queue, I am pretty far down there Wink What kind of turn around should I be expecting to receive payout after I hit the minimum threshold?

The main stats page says, at the bottom, that the average time per block, considering current pool hashrate and network difficulty, is 1:05 hours. Therefore, 48 blocks is 2 days, 4 hours. However, you may be pushed back a little by other small miner crossing their treshold and be put upper in the queue. A good rule of thumb to know how much wait will be necessary is to look at the balance age of the last miner to be payed out in the next block.

un_ordinateur

Activity: 157

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:52:15 AM

And we are back to normal, but my place in payment que went from 8 block delay to not yet eligible for payment.... (cry)

I don't know how it can happen? Once you cross your minimum payout treshold, you ARE going in the queue, and stay there until you are payed!
tmu

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:04:57 AM

Good luck guys!!!!!

Heh, I didn't even get recognition.   Sad

The "mining corporations", as you put it, solve hundreds of blocks per day.  Maybe there might be some bump of reward for the underdog that solves a block with clearly insufficient power to guarantee that outcome?  But, alas, the corporations would abuse that as well.  They would just use many wallet addresses with only a few hundred gigahash per wallet, pretending to be an intrepid individual miner deserving a little extra bump.

What really soured the milk for me was the ABSENCE of clear documentation stating what happens in the off chance you find a block.  Something to the effect of:
"Abandon all hope of any block rewards all ye who enter the pool.  The block rewards are not yours, nor will they ever be.  ALL mining results are spread throughout the pool to yield homogenous 'fair' payouts."
THAT would have set my expectations correctly from day one.

All the gobbledygook about CPPSRB, luck, rounds, etc. made NO sense to me when I was starting out with mining.  All that information is written to inform the already informed.

Everything cryptocurrency related is SEVERELY lacking in clear explanation, even in the WiKis.  Then again, I find ANYTHING that even vaguely relates to cryptography is severely lacking in clarity, even with the BEST of efforts.

If Pool is paying reward to "finder" it is taken from everybody's  "normal" rewards. So "finder" is getting better reward from that one block and same time he is getting less reward from every blocks he doesn't find.
And because block finding is pure luck, as there is no extra burden for those miners, in long term this "finders" reward would sum up to same total reward as we are getting now.
In short term I think that having no reward for finding block is favorable for small hashrate miners, because most of blocks are finded by big miners.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: