Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:21:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061070 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:17:24 AM

[Do the people in your mining group know that you were involved in this withholding attack?

This kind of statement is typically pejorative - and its not been just you.

Who knows for sure if this was an attack (as in the sense of it being willful)?

Block withholding due to a bug in mining code that has now been fixed is one thing, an intentional block withholding attack is another.

Brucexie does not appear to deny the former - the extant narrative/claims suggests that there was a cgminer bug in their kit which got fixed - the time line on this is still a little unclear and it would be helpful if this was clarified.

So far as I can tell there is no evidence (that any one has seen presented so far on this forum) to support that this was willful.

Surely one needs this evidence in order to assess it; otherwise one is guessing.
Not really. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant.
They didn't contribute to the pool, that is a fact.
Therefore, they should not benefit from the pool.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:24:40 AM

Greetings Eligius miners,

Wow...

First, thank you, everyone, for your support.  It is, as always, greatly appreciated.  It is good to know that the community supports our response to the withholding attack.

Next, I'll just clarify some of the points brought up by the attacker and others.  Also, I'll venture to guess that “Brucexie” is at least in some way tied to the addresses in question, since the signed messages from our support ticket system were valid and they have knowledge of info in that ticket.

For reference, here are the messages they signed:

Code:
$ bitcoind verifymessage 17JkL94B2ngJg4QQZuiozDQjnxXB6B7yTc "H+7mfdovWmJYeyhaPufu6vtXNMCDgtKGmNb+CaLitPJntwxVXr18bPKgV3PzejjdQcmCbcfEPnvnNc1Qz+IK1Yc=" "2014-05-20, LiYi, located at GuangZhou, China,  hereby approves discussion of the Eligius mining performed with address 17JkL94B2ngJg4QQZuiozDQjnxXB6B7yTc on Eligius ticket #668982."
true
$ bitcoind verifymessage 1Gu8zxRi8cyENV8CQe52D7QEsiZ7ruT73u "IHx7y0wOgih7E0ecnFw9N/u/voJQ75kN5m9Qy1fq3aiFU1Ho7cHt6tH4rB5bDqcGV6d0HTHZMXD5u6WBnpqgNpE=" "2014-05-20, LiYi, located at GuangZhou, China,  hereby approves discussion of the Eligius mining performed with address 1Gu8zxRi8cyENV8CQe52D7QEsiZ7ruT73u on Eligius ticket #668982."
true

Before I continue, I think I need to once again make one thing clear: under no circumstances will we knowingly pay even a single satoshi to a discovered block withholder.

That said, let me give some more detail on all of this.

The attacker seems to only want to focus on mining post-May 3... after they supposedly stopped attacking.  However, according to the stats database, they have used Eligius with the first address since mid-March.  The second address was auto-tied in with the first based on IP and other metadata (see below for details).

Here are graphs of the attacker's hashrate on both addresses, 17JkL94B2ngJg4QQZuiozDQjnxXB6B7yTc  and 1Gu8zxRi8cyENV8CQe52D7QEsiZ7ruT73u respectively:

While I didn't really want to go into statistics here, because they are only part of the picture, some people have requested them, and I previously stated I would disclose more data, so here it is:

The attacker submitted two blocks prior to commencing their withholding attack, at the beginning of their use of Eligius, on 2014-03-21 and 2014-03-22 (blocks 291,748 and 291,782 respectively).  This appeared to be before they had their full hash power online, also.

Prior to 2014-05-03 (when I added them to the payout queue filter) the 17JkL94 address was paid a total of 429.19371155 BTC by Eligius.  They also had 65.04471047 BTC in shelved shares at that time, for a total of 494.23842202 BTC worth of shares submitted.  This works out to a CDF of about 99.999998081747%, or around 18x difficulty worth of shares for their personal round… which has never happened on Eligius, or any other pool as far as I can tell, an impossibility.  Theoretically, anything at all (your witness of someone committing murder, the cop's speed radar, etc etc) could just be "unlucky". But there comes a point where rational people (including courts and juries) start saying "certain". In this case, that line is far crossed here.

Afterwards, they started mining on the second address, which I also added to the filter due to the obvious relation.  (While obvious, this relationship between the addresses was also confirmed by the attacker later, and here.)

After they supposedly stopped their withholding attack, starting around 2014-05-07 (after over 55 days of withholding) they started finding blocks (still at a below average pace for their hash rate) and mined five additional blocks for Eligius.

In total there were 654.71340416 BTC worth of shares awarded to the attacker’s addresses under CPPSRB.  The attacker also accumulated 67.77237472 BTC worth of shelved shares, for a total of 722.48577888 BTC worth of shares submitted to Eligius.

The 225.51969261 BTC is from awarded shares held from payout (shares credited to the attacker under CPPSRB).  Since the attacker was withholding blocks, the attacker did not legitimately mine any shares and is not due any reward.  The best we can do is not allow them to gain any further benefit from their attack and pass this portion of the loss on to them.

As far as I’m concerned, the attacker owes Eligius miners all of the BTC they obtained falsely during their withholding attack, a total of 429.19371155 BTC (not including the ~200 BTC they are demanding).

Along with the statistics against the miner, the miner actually admitted to another pool that they were executing a withholding attack.  While they claimed this was unintentional, it doesn’t actually make a difference since miners lost revenue from their attack.  Recent posts by the attacker once again change that story.  Either way, the attacker has admitted they were withholding blocks.  Properly distributing the coins erroneously awarded as a result is just a consequence of their attack.

Heck, the poster admitted the issue on this very forum, today:
We have some issue with our mining infrastructure, which caused BTCGuild froze our account on the beginning of May.
After a fast fix and a test on various pool include Eligius, we saw block solved (totally 5) on Eligius block page and think that the issue was resolved, then we switch back to BTCguild under its administrator's checking on the log of our share we mine after this incident.
But we found that Eligius refused to pay for shares of our test.

Long story short, through some detective work, some cooperation, and a decent amount of effort this attack has been confirmed beyond any doubt.

That said, I will be working towards my goal of properly awarding affected miners using the held work credit.  This is not a trivial process and will take a bit of time since there is a lot of security in place to prevent this in the first place.  These security setups will basically have to be taught why this change is legitimate so that it can happen.  I will document everything thoroughly to ensure there is no question later as to the disposition of the funds and the changes made to distribute them.  I will also be taking additional security precautions to ensure that I do not leave any avenue open that makes Eligius-side data less secure as a result of this.

At this point I’m considering this issue resolved and closed.

-wk

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
HypnoticGuy

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 02:28:01 AM

[Do the people in your mining group know that you were involved in this withholding attack?

Block withholding due to a bug in mining code that has now been fixed is one thing, an intentional block withholding attack is another.

Brucexie does not appear to deny the former - the extant narrative/claims suggests that there was a cgminer bug in their kit which got fixed - the time line on this is still a little unclear and it would be helpful if this was clarified.

So far as I can tell there is no evidence (that any one has seen presented so far on this forum) to support that this was willful.

Surely one needs this evidence in order to assess it; otherwise one is guessing.

My understanding is that the only reason the issue was corrected was because it was brought to his attention after it had been going on for months.  With as large of an operation as it seems like he runs, if it was not intentional then he would have noticed it much sooner on his own.  This is not a court of law, and If it walks like a duck.....
AnchorBTC

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:33:18 AM

creating an account just to say that makes me think something very serious and systematic is going on.

Who me? I did not just create this account. I created it a few months back when I got interested in more than just dogecoin.

I happen to paying more attention on bitcointalk just now because, a) it is raining here and b) bitcoin has or is about to reach a tipping point that affects everyone using it.

There is a very distorted process to fact finding here - and your post exemplifies this well.
wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:33:38 AM

If it walks like a duck.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmO7a_g_lbk

Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
Hektur

Activity: 271

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:55:40 AM

Thank you Wizkid for telling and showing us all the evidence you have collected and what the end result will be. 

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 02:58:38 AM

Not really. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant.
They didn't contribute to the pool, that is a fact.
Therefore, they should not benefit from the pool.

Exactly.

If I contract someone to do some work for me, and not only do they not do it but they cost me money, there is no way I'm going to pay them. In fact I'd probably penalise them and try to recover costs, especially if others are affected.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
HypnoticGuy

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 03:09:12 AM

....and quacks like a duck..... :-)
HypnoticGuy

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 03:14:00 AM

Brucexie,

Here is the deciding factor as far as I am concerned.

When it was discovered that this problem existed with your software/hardware on BTCGuild did you return the BTC that you had been paid, but did not properly earn?

If not, then you are guilty because you have taken BTC that you have admitted to not earning. This is called stealing.
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:18:29 AM

I am the owner of 17JkL94B2ngJg4QQZuiozDQjnxXB6B7yTc , 1Gu8zxRi8cyENV8CQe52D7QEsiZ7ruT73u.
First of all, your PR is very good at dealing with such "incident", to make this thing clear, I'll past the timeline and post we have:

In 5.16, I post my ticket.
In 5.21, you replied to request signature for my address, I replied.
In 5.23, you found my signature is wrong. after investigate, I found that I add a extra space on somewhere, then I re-sign the text.
Then, a week passed. After I said that if there's no response, I will post it on society. Finally, you announced.
Then I give you some option.
Then you keep slience and post this.

The last shared submitted on these address is in first week of May, and you keep slience, until I warn you twice.

For your " demanding 1164%-APY interest", Let me paste my last post here:

===============
Hi,

This may be the last time I ask for your response.
You need to choose one of these two options in 72 hours, or we'll 'escalate' this case to the whole bitcoin society, and your local law enforcement agencies may also be involved later.

1. Pay all unpaid bitcoin before 6/15.
2. Pay under a installment plan: pay 10% per week, or pay 5% a week, with a extra 5% interest.
===================

Thats all, 5% interest. If you can pay me in 10 week, you can still pay nothing extra!!!

And for my "hacking your site if you dont pay", I post my origional words here:

==================
2. No one wants to risk its money (or hash power) to behave maliciously, under the design of bitcoin protocol, since it will for sure bring negative benefit. If I want to act "maliciously", I can pay just even a small proportion of 200btc to a professional hacker, and I believe he can tear your site for weeks. it may be a much better idea than messing your share system up with legal traffic.
==================

May be my english is poor, But I think you know what "IF" means. I just said that assume that I'm a bad guy and want to break your site, it's a better idea to hire a creaker than risk my power of calculation.

Overall, I think that you cannot prove that I was guilty, and you are innocent mathematically. The only word makes you look like innocent is like "I am the 2nd oldest pool, trust me".

Even if it was unintentional you fucked up at everyone elses expense. Other people paid for your mistake in coding. You should return ALL the BTC you've mined.

If you accidentally steal (or even just receive) money from a bank, you are legally required to return it.

Please return all the BTC you mined whilst withholding blocks. It was my understanding this happened by accident (in coding a custom mining client), but that wasn't my mistake, yet you have my money.

How can anyone prove that eligius not erase my block log from the website block list?
You trust eligius more than me, just because that eligius is the 2nd oldest pool?
We used to be as you, until this event.

Long story short (nice version) is you had your own ASIC's & SW and it was broken ....but you still expect to be paid ...honestly this is the risk you have to wear as you ARE the manufactuer/supplier of your own equipment..KANO or Luke-jr could have helped you if asked ... Why should u get paid as you did not do the work

Long story short (nasty version) is you where trying to take eligious down to promote another pool like CEX.IO or others is what could be a type of DDOS attack on there luck to cause market share to migrate to said pool ...you have been caught out and now want to claim the money as some type of defence

Either may be true but at teh end of the day you should go mine solo as obviously you are a trouble maker and you deserve nothing...take your broken shit and go fuck yourself  !!!

FYI: I dont mine btc and dont have any association with any partys involved

OBJECT NOT FOUND
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:22:20 AM

Brucexie,

When it was discovered that this problem existed with your software/hardware on BTCGuild did you return the BTC that you had been paid, but did not properly earn?

If not, then you are guilty because you have taken BTC that you have admitted to not earning. This is called stealing.

+1 well said...+1billion to WK Cheesy and i know it ain't gona be easy, but if *most* of us waited patiently for nmc payouts, we can wait for this...so pretty much anyone who mined on here while the attack was happening will get a kickback? i'm sure it won't be much but it'll be nice Cheesy

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
AnchorBTC

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:24:06 AM

Exactly.

If I contract someone to do some work for me, and not only do they not do it but they cost me money, there is no way I'm going to pay them. In fact I'd probably penalise them and try to recover costs, especially if others are affected.

This is not exactly what has happened here. *Contracts* were not broken.

What is happening here, it seems to me, is that an error was made, and the person making the error did not fully disclose it or try to remedy the error in a honest and forthright manner, rather chose to call foul and claim the withheld BTC - relying on the trust-less, mathematical nature of the system.

The error was discovered and the pool op decided to withhold payment - taking the position that the work was not done to the required standard.

Is Eligius  going to retroactively apply a contract based on some arbitrary statistical measure of block finding luck on all its miners? What exactly is that measure? Where is this standard going to be documented?

Bitcoin and its protocol is not meant to require "judges" and the decisions of "trusted" people.

One in a position to be able to make such a change (such as the case here with wizkid et al) should consider the impacts of doing so  carefully - it is a large responsibility.

Similarly, I also think that brucexie should also consider the impact of his obvious attempts at non-disclosure and the apparent withholding of his knowledge regarding the scale of the errors. It is easy to assume that he must have known about negative impact this would have had on others.

A good outcome would be for Brucexie to apologize and *allow* the money to be distributed; then Eligius sets about creating a statistical measure of work quality going forward that everyone has the opportunity to accept or reject.

wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:24:41 AM

Brucexie,

+1 well said...+1billion to WK Cheesy and i know it ain't gona be easy, but if *most* of us waited patiently for nmc payouts, we can wait for this...so pretty much anyone who mined on here while the attack was happening will get a kickback? i'm sure it won't be much but it'll be nice Cheesy

The result will end up being a bump in percent shares rewarded for those who mined during that time period.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 03:31:19 AM

Exactly.

This is not exactly what has happened here. *Contracts* were not broken.

<snip>

A good outcome would be for Brucexie to apologize and *allow* the money to be distributed; then Eligius sets about creating a statistical measure of work quality going forward that everyone has the opportunity to accept or reject.

If someone pisses in my water bucket because he thought it was his piss bucket, then I guarantee you that I'm going to take some of his water, contract or no, whether he wants me to or not. I'm not going to allow my well-being (or my family's well-being) to be contingent on his moral fibre.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
crashoveride54902

Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:51:57 AM

come on guys...really ppl trying to defend or argue with this...he admitted that he "KNEW" there was a problem...pretty much case closed after that, he thought it was fixed but it really wasn't...either he really thought it was or was just playing it off as it was...either way ppl got screwed cause of him...we don't need his ok to try and make what little mends we can

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
BTC_Toronto

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:07:42 AM

According to: http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/blocks.php

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1Gu8zxRi8cyENV8CQe52D7QEsiZ7ruT73u

found two blocks and is owed 103 BTC.

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/17JkL94B2ngJg4QQZuiozDQjnxXB6B7yTc

found five blocks and is owed 122 BTC.

These stats do not seem out of the ordinary.

Maybe wizkid can enlighten us as to how he has deduced that these addresses below to the block withholder.

To be clear, I'm not on anyone's side here and have suffered a 50 BTC loss from eligius' bad luck. I'd just like to know all of the facts and how wizkid came to his conclusions.

5 of the 7 blocks you mentioned were discovered after the potential scam or custom mining software mistake was discovered and the miner notified (May 3rd). It might have been that he fixed or change the mining software or that he stop the scam once he was discovered. The problem is with all the time he spent mining before that time without submitting any shares that were found.

BTC TO
AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:51:05 AM

I have a theory. The network hashrate has just jumped up 14PH approx as per bitcoinwisdom difficulty.

Perhaps this is a large farm, concerned about rising difficulty and wanting to minimize the impact of difficulty increases. They mine on btcguild/eligius and submit low difficulty shares (for which they are paid) and discard winning shares (so the network hashrate is artificially low). Profit ?

Looks like Con thought of this already

I don't think the user owes anyone anything or is liable if it was an honest mistake. The only way they would be liable financially is if they knowingly stole from or sabotaged the pool, which is unlikely considering the fact that they were also hurt financially.
As I said a few days ago, an act of malice cannot be ruled out. If you are a large enough miner on a large enough pool, you can sacrifice finding a few blocks to still make profit and prevent contributing to diff rise..
jacob019

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Cryptomancer

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:44:49 AM

Seems like mining hardware manufacturers would benefit.  They could test their hardware and get paid for it without increasing the difficulty and driving down the price of the hardware.

Favorite coin: Kimocoin (KMC) - in-thread auctions for real world merchandise
website - faucet - explorer - dice
AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:11:27 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2014, 06:59:34 AM by AussieHash

So would you mind to explain what happend at BTCGuild?

We have some issue with our mining infrastructure, which caused BTCGuild froze our account on the beginning of May.
After a fast fix and a test on various pool include Eligius, we saw block solved (totally 5) on Eligius block page and think that the issue was resolved, then we switch back to BTCguild under its administrator's checking on the log of our share we mine after this incident.
But we found that Eligius refused to pay for shares of our test.
In a internal review of this issue, we think that eligius may know this issue and build a plot aimed to this issue.
Then, the left is all known by all here.

Can I ask what miners do you use?
By which manufacturer(s) and at what hashing power?
 - specifically for each miner you have from each manufacturer if more than one.

we use modified cgminer.
hashing power is manufacturer by ourselves, including chips.
Now our hash power is distributed among several public pool expect of eligius, and the miner's lucky value matches pool's.

And

So you're either scamming or your gear isn't working right.  Either way you shouldn't expect to get paid.

My gears is working wrong on BTCguild, after fixing we move to eligius for test, and see all things correct in its own block list.
Especially For 1Gu8zxRi8cyENV8CQe52D7QEsiZ7ruT73u, it is a brand new account and begining it's mining just after the fix and block was found by it, so why eligius ban it?
xstr8guy

Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:52:01 AM

So now, are we not going to ask the question... who are these bandits? They have developed their own ASICs, customized CGMiner and have a massive mining operation.

Are we not worried that they have released their malfunctioning crap to the public? How could they resist selling chips and generating extra revenue?

I think we can safely assume these are chinese-made. Could it be Avalon, BitMine A1, ASICMiner or some lesser known company?
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: