Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:20:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 413 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XMY] Myriad | Multi-Algo, Fair, Secure  (Read 849679 times)
noerc

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:37:48 AM

Hi,

I am new to Myriad, just read about it on reddit. Decentralization is a major concern to me and that's why I look deeper in all the solutions that appeared recently.

Regarding this point, I would like to understand how Myriad will maintain the distribution of hash power over CPUs, GPUs and ASICs in future. In particular I read this paper: http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~sha3/ethz_gmu_sha3.pdf which describes ASIC implementations for Skein and Groestl. For sCrypt we also already know that ASICs will be state-of-the-art in very near future.

So my question is: How will Myriad deal with that? If there will be a time where all five hashing algorithms are basically ASIC-only, what benefits remain having these different approaches?
foodies123

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:39:57 AM

Hi,

I am new to Myriad, just read about it on reddit. Decentralization is a major concern to me and that's why I look deeper in all the solutions that appeared recently.

Regarding this point, I would like to understand how Myriad will maintain the distribution of hash power over CPUs, GPUs and ASICs in future. In particular I read this paper: http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~sha3/ethz_gmu_sha3.pdf which describes ASIC implementations for Skein and Groestl. For sCrypt we also already know that ASICs will be state-of-the-art in very near future.

So my question is: How will Myriad deal with that? If there will be a time where all five hashing algorithms are basically ASIC-only, what benefits remain having these different approaches?

flexibility, don't know if you read my post above, algos can be swapped for other algos with no major impact to the network because the other 4 keep it secure. currently XPM is being tested as a fesable alternative for cpu miners and the development about 80-90% done Smiley sorry 8bit for giving away staff discussions.

nope
KimmyF

Activity: 978

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:54:05 AM

dumps come from rumors that China Gov will shut down exchanges.

That is the bane of current down spiral.

If it is confirmed, all alt coins will suffer.

Any idea of the likelihood of that?  Would the exchange operators be able to operate offshore through different servers?  And buyers and sellers as well?  I know it might be a PIA, but I don't think governments will be able to stop crypto, at least not in the long term.  Although the US is making it a PIA through tax consequences.  At least they think. Any good accountant or tax lawyer (like me) can turn mining into a loss pretty quick.  Personally, I'm just not going to use US exchanges if they are required to start reporting to the IRS.  I'm personally not going through the hassle of setting up a business just for tax purposes.  Although the losses my help my overall tax situation.  I'll have to think about that one.  The self-employment taxes might not make it worthwhile.  What would make sense is a large group of individuals getting together and forming a mining corporation.  Profits would be based on user input, deductions would be great, and no self-employment taxes.  The only taxes would be capital gains, either short term (less than one year), or long term (more than one year).  Either rate has far less tax consequences than normal income (e.g. employment).  The deductions from equipment and electricity costs could be used to create quite a loss for the first year (on paper), then that loss could be carried forward to offset earnings from the next year.  The IRS basically just created a lot of work for accountants and lawyers, while gaining no income, except from people who are unfamiliar with proper tax avoidance business formation.  Which is probably most miners, unfortunately.
Sounds like a great business we can al use
noerc

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:59:10 AM

Hi,

flexibility, don't know if you read my post above, algos can be swapped for other algos with no major impact to the network because the other 4 keep it secure. currently XPM is being tested as a fesable alternative for cpu miners and the development about 80-90% done Smiley sorry 8bit for giving away staff discussions.

Thank you. I see your points in your post regarding stability and flexibility and I totally agree. My concerns where more related to decentralization. So if I understand you right, the devs will change one or more of these algorithms in future if the distribution over CPUs, GPUs and ASICs is not fair anymore?

Furthermore, CPU only mining also has well known drawbacks (botnets etc.) and nobody can tell how CPU technology will evolve in the next 10 years (more cores or higher clock) and if processing units will appear that are in between of CPUs and GPUs (like stream processors). So how exactly is it possible to design a "100% proven CPU algorithm" that is safe for the future? And how will Myriad react if all these technologies will move closer together so you can not really distinguish between a GPU and a CPU anymore?
foodies123

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 11:03:38 AM

Hi,

Thank you. I see your points in your post regarding stability and flexibility and I totally agree. My concerns where more related to decentralization. So if I understand you right, the devs will change one or more of these algorithms in future if the distribution over CPUs, GPUs and ASICs is not fair anymore?

Furthermore, CPU only mining also has well known drawbacks (botnets etc.) and nobody can tell how CPU technology will evolve in the next 10 years (more cores or higher clock) and if processing units will appear that are in between of CPUs and GPUs (like stream processors). So how exactly is it possible to design a "100% proven CPU algorithm" that is safe for the future? And how will Myriad react if all these technologies will move closer together so you can not really distinguish between a GPU and a CPU anymore?

that's exactly what's bothering us. For now botnet attacks are out main concern that's why we're still not sure if adding one is the best solution. Even x11 is a big question since it's just groestl + a few quark rounds and it fairs almost identical to simple groestl in terms of cpu/gpu profitability ratio so yeah ... we're still pondering things. when the developing is complete we will make sure the community wants a change before we implement it.

nope
noerc

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 11:30:31 AM

Hi,

that's exactly what's bothering us. For now botnet attacks are out main concern that's why we're still not sure if adding one is the best solution. Even x11 is a big question since it's just groestl + a few quark rounds and it fairs almost identical to simple groestl in terms of cpu/gpu profitability ratio so yeah ... we're still pondering things. when the developing is complete we will make sure the community wants a change before we implement it.

Sounds like a good track to me. This project is promising and at the current point of my research maybe the best solution to the problems that arised from the Bitcoin experience. I will dig deeper and will keep me updated. Thanks a lot!
Gates123

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 11:42:08 AM

How about raising a fund for some PR? MYR needs it in this phase in case not to fell into oblivion.
Tekkerr

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:50:40 PM

What is up with P2Pool ?
People with 320MH, getting each block 210-230MYR
I have mined for day's with 110MH, only getting 28-30, before had 100MYR+, same % rejects +/- ... how is this P2Pool counting there hashrate against payments ?
Mikellev

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:23:17 PM

0% fee - SHA 256 D + GROESTL - nothing less!

Pools running stable and payouts are every 2 minutes.

New:
http://myr-groestl.poolerino.com
and
http://myr-sha256.poolerino.com

for our complete list of supported coins, visit poolerino.com

c-cex
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

CryptoCurrency EXchange: https://c-cex.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 03:57:32 PM

C-CEX.com exchange is serving for USD/BTC Myriad trades! Welcome!

https://c-cex.com/index.html?p=myr-btc
https://c-cex.com/index.html?p=myr-usd

CryptoCurrency EXchange: https://c-cex.com
iamphoenix

Activity: 244

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:30:18 PM

so im happily mining 3 of the algos

got my
280x on scrypt
nividia gforce 580 on grostl
57 gh on sha256

Cheesy

eventually ill have to switch the scrypt algo to another for the 280

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
Mikellev

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:57:18 PM

got my
280x on scrypt
57 gh on sha256

Cheesy

get the 280 on groestl, mine runs with 60 degrees at 11mh/s at poolerino
neuroMode

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:00:53 PM

Hi,

Sounds like a good track to me. This project is promising and at the current point of my research maybe the best solution to the problems that arised from the Bitcoin experience. I will dig deeper and will keep me updated. Thanks a lot!

Thank you for visiting the coin. I'm glad my post on reddit attracted at least one person so far. We need good minds to see the merits of Myriad. I think when you take a good hard look at it it makes Bitcoin, Litecoin, Vertcoin, etc. look instantly outdated.

When a coin has that type of power, amazing things will unfold. We just need awareness like someone else was saying. I tried doing my part by making posts on reddit. I'll continue to spread the word so momentum doesn't falter. It's tough to just expect people to click on this thread. I clicked it a few days after launch but it didn't "hit me" like it hit me a week later. It's just how things go with all these spamcoins nowadays.

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
neuroMode

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:11:58 PM

I just donated 25,000 Myriad to the donation address on the OP. I hope it will go to the following causes:

-implementing an RPC command that returns network hashrate per algorythm
-algorythm switching mining software for a algo-profit-switching pool
-algo-profit-switching pool
-andoid wallet
-implementation of a 100% proven CPU algorythm (right now qubit and groestl are CPU friendly but not CPU dedicated so while CPU miners can still mine competing with GPUS on fair grounds they still do not have an exclusive algorythm)
-adding a metalayer to Myriad (similar to xcp)
and the list is evergrowing.

I would also like to volunteer as a Mod for the Myriadcoin subreddit. The first thing I will do is change the theme to something more updated. I worked on the themes for /r/officialcredits and /r/lazycoins. I will implement the same theme with custom colors on /r/myriadcoin if I can be modded there.

On that note, we might want to get a new logo that has 3 main colors in some nice scheme. 5 colors might actually work too to symbolize the 5 algos. But if we get the number of colors worked down it'll be easier to make themes for websites, community pages, paper wallets, etc. This isn't a huge important technological programming hurdle, but I think it's important going forward for a professional appearance of the coin.

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:19:21 PM

When a coin has that type of power, amazing things will unfold

I bought a load just before the crash, but just before I go out and mop up some ofthe dumps, would you like to address one point that I've heard ?

The coin's got all these algos that make it more accessible - great. But doesn't it also expose it to more points of failure ?

In other words if you've got 6 algos, you've got 6 times more chance of breaking than if you've got only 1. As I understand it they are not redundant (like aircraft engines - if one fails the others keep going).

With multiple algos in 1 coin, if 1 fails the whole coin's sunk isn't it ?

(P.S. I'm not trolling. I want to get this out of the way while the coin's on the deck because if it rises the trolls will all appear and that's one thing they'll use).
neuroMode

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:29:21 PM

I bought a load just before the crash, but just before I go out and mop up some ofthe dumps, would you like to address one point that I've heard ?

The coin's got all these algos that make it more accessible - great. But doesn't it also expose it to more points of failure ?

In other words if you've got 6 algos, you've got 6 times more chance of breaking than if you've got only 1. As I understand it they are not redundant (like aircraft engines - if one fails the others keep going).

(P.S. I'm not trolling. I want to get this out of the way while the coin's on the deck because if it rises the trolls will all appear and that's one thing they'll use).

It's actually the opposite. If one algo fails (i.e. it forks), the other 4 algos will carry on the blockchain like normal until the forked algo situates itself on the right blockchain. If you are talking about failure from a pure hashing vulnerability, well then that algo will just promptly be switched out and miners of that coin will need to either pause mining or hop on one of the other 4 algos that will continue to run the blockchain.

I don't know if I see any issues with a coin being "overrun" by one algo, where a load of miners jump onto one algo, because the difficulty on that coin will just increase proportionally.

Myriad is starting to get the feeling of a 'survival of the fittest' coin. If an algo out there sucks then the other algos will keep pace and the failed algo will be replaced. I don't think it's extra failure points, I think it's extra security.

MoneySpasm

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:01:02 PM

I think the point you are referring to is that if one of the cryptographic algorithms were significantly compromised/cracked/shortcutted it could cause a temporary issue.  So technically that risk is increased 5 times over as it is exposed to being cracked cryptographically on 5 fronts.

However sha-256 is nowhere near being cracked in any way any time soon.  The other algos are more recent and more secure again.  If one of these algos were cracked then they could be quickly swapped out.

So yes there are 5 avenues of a cryptographic brute force attack/short cut instead of the usual one.  But myriad could quickly adapt and the point has been made time and again that these encryption methods are neigh on impossible to crack.

If you want a headache read this explanation
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6021/bitcoin-is-not-quantum-safe-and-how-we-can-fix/
MoneySpasm

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:15:56 PM

I just donated 25,000 Myriad to the donation address on the OP. I hope it will go to the following causes:

-implementing an RPC command that returns network hashrate per algorythm
-algorythm switching mining software for a algo-profit-switching pool
-algo-profit-switching pool
-andoid wallet
-implementation of a 100% proven CPU algorythm (right now qubit and groestl are CPU friendly but not CPU dedicated so while CPU miners can still mine competing with GPUS on fair grounds they still do not have an exclusive algorythm)
-adding a metalayer to Myriad (similar to xcp)
and the list is evergrowing.

I would also like to volunteer as a Mod for the Myriadcoin subreddit. The first thing I will do is change the theme to something more updated. I worked on the themes for /r/officialcredits and /r/lazycoins. I will implement the same theme with custom colors on /r/myriadcoin if I can be modded there.

On that note, we might want to get a new logo that has 3 main colors in some nice scheme. 5 colors might actually work too to symbolize the 5 algos. But if we get the number of colors worked down it'll be easier to make themes for websites, community pages, paper wallets, etc. This isn't a huge important technological programming hurdle, but I think it's important going forward for a professional appearance of the coin.

+1 on both suggestions, I think you would make a great mod. 
iamphoenix

Activity: 244

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:26:18 PM

got my
280x on scrypt
57 gh on sha256

Cheesy

get the 280 on groestl, mine runs with 60 degrees at 11mh/s at poolerino

whats your batch file look like?

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:42:28 PM

It's actually the opposite. If one algo fails (i.e. it forks), the other 4 algos will carry on the blockchain like normal until the forked algo situates itself on the right blockchain. If you are talking about failure from a pure hashing vulnerability, well then that algo will just promptly be switched out and miners of that coin will need to either pause mining or hop on one of the other 4 algos that will continue to run the blockchain.

Right thanks. If what you're saying is true you can't see me for dust getting over to Poloniex right now.

You might want to address this article by Hazard more specifically: http://cryptolife.net/myriad-opportunities/

http://cryptolife.net/myriad-opportunities/

This has some interesting implications, both good and bad. It puts everybody on an equal footing, regardless of whether they’re mining with an ASIC, GPU, or CPU. That’s the good part. The bad part is that if a flaw is found in just one of these algorithms, the whole system will crumble.

Pages: « 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 413 »
  Print  

Jump to: