Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:50:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Grin | PoW Mining | Electronic transactions for all. Community driven.  (Read 73507 times)
BTCspace

Activity: 952
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 03:02:51 AM

What is going on with grin coin? I read some of the comments on here and they don't seem too bad, and the general cryptocurrency market is not doing bad right now but the grin coin price is down like 70% since it started trading on Poloniex.  Are they diluting, company selling coins on the market, or no buying interest? I bought some, bought more then bought more and all I did was lose Cry

the coin have high inflation.. maybe mine some kepler coin, but it's hard to mine now.

running farm worldwide

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 04:59:58 AM

What is going on with grin coin? I read some of the comments on here and they don't seem too bad, and the general cryptocurrency market is not doing bad right now but the grin coin price is down like 70% since it started trading on Poloniex.  Are they diluting, company selling coins on the market, or no buying interest? I bought some, bought more then bought more and all I did was lose Cry

Well maybe you should have done some research before buying some and then buying some more and then buying even more. Grins price is doing exactly what it was forecasted to do so why are you surprised?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
RivAngE

Activity: 728
Merit: 169

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 09:45:19 AM

What is going on with grin coin? I read some of the comments on here and they don't seem too bad, and the general cryptocurrency market is not doing bad right now but the grin coin price is down like 70% since it started trading on Poloniex.  Are they diluting, company selling coins on the market, or no buying interest? I bought some, bought more then bought more and all I did was lose Cry

https://github.com/mimblewimble/docs/wiki/Monetary-Policy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RO3zc5AvfN9rcVnrYnLjqCikFLHmD39_7MCV18lDrvc/edit#gid=0

I just read something very interesting in their Monetary Policy explanation!

"Currencies with set supply are extremely experimental. Miners likely need incentives to secure the chain beyond only fees. Note: currency deflation is historically not a good thing."

I had never asked the question before: What happens when if in a few years the mining rewards fall bellow a level which can support all the produced ASIC miners?
I guess many people might think that the Bitcoin's price will magically go higher in order to keep the mining profitable, just like many though the price couldn't go bellow 5000$ (or was it 4500$?) because mining would become unprofitable.
What will happen in about 1.5 years when the next halving takes place if Bitcoin's price is still around 4000$? Most likely half of the mining hardware will shut down. In that moment, there'll be enough dormant hardware to 51% attack Bitcoin itself. Scary stuff.

On that regard, GRIN is more balanced and future-proof safe.
Bitcoin's limited supply sounds good to investors, but there are some serious implications in the long term.
Ano

Activity: 1148
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 09:59:29 AM

the coin have high inflation.. maybe mine some kepler coin, but it's hard to mine now.

Higher inflation could be the reason why investors are afraid to keep hold for long term and on other side miners are providing opportunity to buy this coin on cheap price. But it is not wise decision to invest in any coin without making any research about the future of any coin I think Grin will survive in long term.
dungp3132

Activity: 274
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 12:40:57 PM

You known what are issues with your post, @RivAngE?
I don't check, but base on what you posted, I guess that you get details from somewhere else, that you should post sources of those details.
Why you have to do this?
Because it will help you don't violate forum rules on plagiarism.
Please edit your post with source/ link if you don't want to see death penalty drops on you later.

Best regards,

"Currencies with set supply are extremely experimental. Miners likely need incentives to secure the chain beyond only fees. Note: currency deflation is historically not a good thing."

I had never asked the question before: What happens when if in a few years the mining rewards fall bellow a level which can support all the produced ASIC miners?
I guess many people might think that the Bitcoin's price will magically go higher in order to keep the mining profitable, just like many though the price couldn't go bellow 5000$ (or was it 4500$?) because mining would become unprofitable.
What will happen in about 1.5 years when the next halving takes place if Bitcoin's price is still around 4000$? Most likely half of the mining hardware will shut down. In that moment, there'll be enough dormant hardware to 51% attack Bitcoin itself. Scary stuff.

Bitcoin's limited supply sounds good to investors, but there are some serious implications in the long term.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
March 19, 2019, 02:36:58 PM

huge whalezz behind thiz corn Smiley weeee

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
leonsnow
Copper Member

Activity: 138
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2019, 06:52:47 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RO3zc5AvfN9rcVnrYnLjqCikFLHmD39_7MCV18lDrvc/edit#gid=0
The above spreadsheet looks out of date now.
The following spreadsheet should be more accurate.  Reward/block should be 60, not 50.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hGyC8tSivtZqjlu8aQgjG0pKfKc0L0RO0leMfjPADp0/edit#gid=0

Crypto2011

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 20, 2019, 11:19:18 AM

The following spreadsheet should be more accurate.  Reward/block should be 60, not 50.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hGyC8tSivtZqjlu8aQgjG0pKfKc0L0RO0leMfjPADp0/edit#gid=0

Why does it start from March 2018? Is that when the testnet launched? And it just became the mainnet afterwards?
Crypto2011

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 20, 2019, 11:26:11 AM

Thats completely normal for new coins regardless of inflation. Inflation is currently at 80% and that number will shrink at a significant rate forever. It really isn't that different from bitcoin, certainly not for the first 4 years. The inflation rate is miniscule compared to the typical gains during a bull run of 10,000% over a few months! I can't see how this monetary policy will stop massive price spikes. Therefore I can't see why this coin could be considered "price stable" either, unless i'm missing something.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3517

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
March 20, 2019, 01:22:09 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2019, 01:48:46 PM by vapourminer

Anyone still mining this GRIN shit ?

Boring AF I tell you !

I have regerts.

HODLing.

yup. reason: too lazy to turn the rig off because that rig also runs my BCU1525 and acorn FPGAs. that way i can mine at a loss with two technologies: gpus and fpgas. you know, to lose money with twice the efficiency.

for grin i hold half, sell half. my standard strategy for possibly semi useful coins. for the BCU and acorns, which mine shitcoins, i sell everything.

gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
March 20, 2019, 03:47:10 PM

tl:dr

come on GRIN do something funny :-D weee

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
coingecko

Activity: 247
Merit: 40

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2019, 04:59:19 AM

Side by side comparison of Grin and Beam
https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/compare?coin_ids=grin,beam

Track bitcoin holdings by public companies and bitcoin price on CoinGecko
maximumcoin

Activity: 487
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 05:09:46 AM

After look at this, I chose Grin coin, that looks better than BEAM.
Personal choice, so it does not equal that BEAM actually better than Grin coin.
Maybe I chose wrongly, but it's my choice, and I believe in my favorite Grin coin.

RivAngE

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 08:02:41 AM

I don't check, but base on what you posted, I guess that you get details from somewhere else, that you should post sources of those details.
Why you have to do this?
Please edit your post with source/ link if you don't want to see death penalty drops on you later.

Best regards,

Hello! Thanks for the heads up, I guess my initial post wasn't clear enough by just saying "I just read something very interesting in their Monetary Policy explanation!"
I was referring to one of GRIN's official docs, and to be precise I'm linking to the exact paragraph I quoted: https://github.com/mimblewimble/docs/wiki/Monetary-Policy#tail-emission-may-be-required-for-long-term-stability
RivAngE

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 09:31:41 AM

What? Just a meme? No context? Cheesy I guess I'll take it as you're believing I'm against Bitcoin.

I'm not saying Bitcoin is doomed, it has many years ahead of it to do upgrades and the necessary adjustments as the community sees fit.
But so can GRIN do adjustments. So I was comparing the current outlook of Bitcoin's and GRIN's reward systems.

You can't deny that there is a risk with constantly reducing the miners' payment in a 100% PoW system, can you?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 01:55:13 PM

IIRC the best analysis I saw stated the range was 36XX for break even on the large farms so the market seemed to play there for quite a bit even though ot did drop down into the 32xx range a few times for culling of the herds.

Why you have to do this?

Best regards,

What issues do you see? The text in quotation marks? That is fine and does not need to be sited as he stated it was taken from the grin docs and therefore is already cited..

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 02:05:04 PM

What? Just a meme? No context? Cheesy I guess I'll take it as you're believing I'm against Bitcoin.

I'm not saying Bitcoin is doomed, it has many years ahead of it to do upgrades and the necessary adjustments as the community sees fit.
But so can GRIN do adjustments. So I was comparing the current outlook of Bitcoin's and GRIN's reward systems.

You can't deny that there is a risk with constantly reducing the miners' payment in a 100% PoW system, can you?

this is a pretty good article on that.

https://news.bitcoin.com/what-happens-bitcoin-miners-all-coins-mined/

Don't forget there is a thing called a BIP.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 21, 2019, 02:44:26 PM

GRIN faucet? :\ when?

Faucet is not free.

It looks like that every crypto investor want to own it at different desired amount.

I dont believe any sane investor want to own GRIN at this point of time.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
March 24, 2019, 03:18:10 AM

@Febo. However, a faucet might be very helpful for grin's distribution and it would be something to teach everyone how to use the command line wallet. The problem would be how to shut out people from cheating it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
leonsnow
Copper Member

Activity: 138
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2019, 02:46:06 PM

What is going on with grin coin? I read some of the comments on here and they don't seem too bad, and the general cryptocurrency market is not doing bad right now but the grin coin price is down like 70% since it started trading on Poloniex.  Are they diluting, company selling coins on the market, or no buying interest? I bought some, bought more then bought more and all I did was lose Cry

The following spreadsheet should be more accurate.  Reward/block should be 60, not 50.

Why does it start from March 2018? Is that when the testnet launched? And it just became the mainnet afterwards?
Wondering this question too. However,  not found an answer to it so far.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  

Jump to: