Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:33:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Grin | PoW Mining | Electronic transactions for all. Community driven.  (Read 73506 times)
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3517

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 24, 2020, 11:46:57 AM

Just like the death penalty is 100% effective at preventing homocides?

preventing future homicides by that person? yes it is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
May 29, 2020, 02:08:31 AM

The Rust code appeared to be written by someone with very little Rust programming experience.[/i]

Among the core devs, I am one of the few with little Rust programming experience.

I wrote large parts of https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/blob/master/core/src/consensus.rs and https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/blob/master/core/src/core/pmmr/pmmr.rs but most of my efforts are in the Cuckoo Cycle repository.

The twitter author would do well to substantiate their criticism on code quality.

I agree our documentation is below par and we hope to make improvements in the coming years as the code stabilizes.

Thank you for your honesty. This does not change my opinion on the importance of the role of the grin project on the cryptospace. Its monetary policy is the game changer, I reckon.

I speculate that the team has timed grin's inflation for bitcoin's 2024 halving hehehe.

It's very close to Bitcoin in the first decade

The first four years of Bitcoin emission rate are identical to the first four of Grin. Bitcoin had a full reward for 4 years, followed by half that for the following 4 years. So compared to a constant supply, after 8 years, the total amount of coins emitted is only 33% less.

Source https://github.com/mimblewimble/docs/wiki/Monetary-Policy

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Chris!
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
May 29, 2020, 03:09:41 AM

I thought we were pumping lol. Let's see what Bitcoin does I suppose. Grin can wait.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
May 30, 2020, 05:34:37 AM

@Chris. Hehe I speculate that the developers were clever in their timing on bitcoin's next halving and grin's monetary policy. Maybe everyone would finally begin to question its mining sustainability when bitcoin's reward is halved to 3.125 coins.

Also, I created a thread about it based on a report from the BIS. It was immediately argued as fud because it came from the BIS without reading the argument presented.

Source https://www.bis.org/publ/work765.pdf

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
GringottsHodler

Activity: 17
Merit: 8

View Profile
May 30, 2020, 04:51:46 PM

Quote from: Yeastplume
Update Friday, May 29th 2020,

Last few weeks have been fairly brutal work-wise, trying to finish defining and implementing all of the changes required for slatepack. Just lost about 2 days worth of work to a bug in a dependency 1 that prevented TOR sends from working altogether, but there’s hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel. And given we’re supposed to be releasing a beta next tuesday, there isn’t much tunnel left.

Numerous PRs 1 created and merged over the past couple of weeks, which I won’t go over in too much detail here. I’ll leave perusing through them as an exercise for the interested reader. The end result, of course is that we should have the Slatepack formats + encryption + workflows ready for the 4.0.0 beta release, with the only real major thing outstanding on my side being the actual changes to the CLI to integrate them into the workflow

I see all of the other issues and conversations and threads going on, but I’m famously bad at concentrating on more than a particular issue at a time so bear with me. Trying to get the previous batch of developments and ideas implemented is a bit like being stuck cleaning up the mess from the last firehose while someone tries to attract your attention by pointing another firehose full of chunky ideas for your immediate consideration at you. But I should hopefully be able to breathe a bit after the 4.0.0 beta is released and start thinking about some of the other things going on.

https://forum.grin.mw/t/yeastplume-progress-update-thread-april-to-june-2020/7241/5
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1080

View Profile
June 01, 2020, 07:20:20 AM

Why is Cuckatoo32 missing?
pacificpool

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2020, 06:43:21 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2020, 10:56:54 PM by pacificpool

Huh
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 08:30:09 PM
Merited by suchmoon (7), Hueristic (1), dragonvslinux (1)

I'm not a huge fan of the fixed subsidy, but it is deflationary long-term. Because the subsidy remains the same while the money supply grows (and may shrink due to lost coins), a graph of the inflation rate over time is steadily downward, and will eventually reach low levels. However, since their stated reason for doing this was to ensure that miners are properly incentivized, it would've made more sense to set the subsidy such that the monetary inflation rate is a constant 0.5% or something.

Sorry for the VERY late reply...

0.5% is arbitrary. We chose to make the emission non-arbitrary. We chose to make it the simplest possible, at 1 grin per second forever.

As they've designed it, the inflation rate will start out way too high,

It start out identical to Bitcoin's inflation rate, for the first 4 years. After that, it just falls much more slowly.

and then if grin survives for a very long time, it'll eventually become too low to actually meet their goal of incentivizing miners.

IMO it really doesn't matter. As you noticed above, coins inevitably get lost. At some point the yearly emission roughly balances out against yearly lost coins, defining a softcap on supply, as opposed to Bitcoin's hardcap. This guarantees that the subsidy always provides enough security for the spendable supply. Also see this Hacker News discussion https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23147005

Beam is too much of an obvious cheap money-grab to succeed IMO, though.

There's precious few innovative coins that rely entirely on volunteers and donations for development.
I can't think of too many besides Bitcoin, Monero, and Grin.

In addition to the money supply issue, grin is a worse store of value than Bitcoin because:

IMO the main reasons Grin is a worse store of value are 1) its perpetual emission (i.e. continued dilution), and 2) the fact that the supply is not fully (i.e. transparently) auditable.
These are also the reasons why Grin is not a direct competitor of Bitcoin.

- The dev culture is built upon a more flexible idea of system consensus. There are expected to be regular hardforks.

Only 4 hardforks were (pre)planned, at regular 6-months intervals in the first 2 years. The 3rd one is happening next month. After that, consensus model changes should be increasingly rare.

- Smart contracts are more limited, though at this time I'm not exactly sure how much more limited.

Scriptless scripts (i.e. exploiting the flexibility of Schnorr signatures) allow for multisigs, thresholds sigs, atomic swaps, discreet log contract, and payment channels.
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 3485

born once atheist

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 05:03:04 PM

So in the year and a half I've mined this coin at the same hashrate, it's interesting to note that the overall data shows
my daily proceeds in Grin has increased about 10 fold (over the year and a half)
albeit my actual daily dollar value proceeds has remained near constant.
(meaning  hodeling this coin is not a good idea but I think most Grin-ians know that)

Bitcoin...the future of all monetary transactions...and always will be
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 05:08:16 PM

So in the year and a half I've mined this coin at the same hashrate, it's interesting to note that the overall data shows
my daily proceeds in Grin has increased about 10 fold (over the year and a half)
(meaning  hodeling this coin is not a good idea but I think most Grin-ians know that)

Damn how time flies!

About 1 more year to go. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Mahanton

Activity: 2688
Merit: 625

View Profile
June 22, 2020, 12:45:21 PM

Just want to ask if grin++ is an actual or really a wallet for Grin coin? Tried to download up the wallet on said link but it doesnt work.So i decided to download g++.
Also, is there clear tutorials on how to mind this one even on a single AMD gpu? i cant search up clear tuts online.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Benefit14snake

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2020, 08:02:36 PM

Just want to ask if grin++ is an actual or really a wallet for Grin coin? Tried to download up the wallet on said link but it doesnt work.So i decided to download g++.
Also, is there clear tutorials on how to mind this one even on a single AMD gpu? i cant search up clear tuts online.

Grin++ is a great wallet. I use it myself.
Chris!
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2020, 02:56:48 AM

I use grin++ and so far it's been great. The dev is very active on discord and telegram if you ever run into issues or have questions.
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2020, 09:54:42 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Grin is now 3/4 ASIC Friendly, with Cuckatoo31+ getting 75% of the rewards.
In next month's 3/4 Hard Fork (3rd out of 4 pre-planned ones every 6 months),
ASIC Resistant Cuckoom29 will be replaced by Cuckarooz29, which will run until HF4.
In August we'll see the last of Cuckatoo31, as its graph weight drops to 0,
leaving Cuckatoo32+ on the ASIC Friendly side.
Texacha

Activity: 480
Merit: 68

View Profile
June 27, 2020, 08:57:42 AM

How it goes: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they ignore you, then they laugh at you again...  Grin

I have no affiliate link, no bounty, no signature campaign... Only Proof Of Work!
Chris!
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2020, 12:29:01 AM

How it goes: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they ignore you, then they laugh at you again...  Grin

Damn. Story of my life. It must be my fault. Sorry guys.
bulala

Activity: 574
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 09, 2020, 10:12:29 AM

SoloPool.org

Dagger-HashimotoBeamHashCuckooEquihashEquihash 144.5
Equihash 125.4Equihash 192.7RandomXKawPoWMTPScrypt

Solo mining pools for professional miners. Stable payments. Low pool fee. Excellent design. Extended statistics. Best mining pools since 2017.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We present our Solo Mining Pool for Grin

Try here https://grin29.solopool.org/
Try here https://grin31.solopool.org/

Pool Features
  • The block reward goes to the miner who found it.
  • We pay full reward (block reward + tx fee + extra).
  • Full stats with charts, rewards and earnings.
  • Low and transparent pool fee.
  • Free Telegram bot (notifications of new blocks and rigs status).
  • Stable payments every 60 minutes.
  • Fully compatible with MiningRigRentals.
  • Fully compatible with NiceHash.
  • Fast and stable servers with DDOS protection and great ping.

Try solo mining! Wink Shocked

thanx great been waiting for this like forever
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2020, 01:15:17 PM

Cuckatoo31 is no longer profitable to mine, and should be replaced by Cuckatoo32.
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2020, 01:07:41 PM

Grin's 3rd HardFork / Network Upgrade at height 3 * HARD_FORK_INTERVAL = 786240 expected on July 16.

See Grin 4.0 announcement at https://forum.grin.mw/t/grin-grin-wallet-4-0-0-released

Only one more preplanned HardFork / Network Upgrade after that, mid January 2021.
KIZILAGA

Activity: 210
Merit: 6

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 10:39:17 AM

So what would be implented after this HF? any breaking changes?

most people cold feet becz Grins usability..
Pages: « 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  

Jump to: