Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:26:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA development board "Icarus" - DisContinued/ important announcement  (Read 207219 times)
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 08:59:11 AM

Very nice.....thank you TheSeven Smiley

Just need to change the blue font so i can read it, something to do over the weekend, lol

Heh, what's ending up blue in your terminal is what's supposed to be underlined. What the hell?
To work around that and remove the underline attribute, you can change all occurrences of
Code:
curses.A_UNDERLINE
to
Code:
in /frontend/theseven/cursesui.py

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 09:09:06 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2012, 09:54:04 AM by DeepBit

There is no underlining in Windows consoles, AFAIR

EDIT: Oh, so it was intended to look like a TABLE ! :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 09:43:57 AM

There is no underlining in Windows consoles, AFAIR Smiley
Yeah, but why on earth would it show that in blue instead of just ignoring it?!

Defkin

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 10:29:21 AM

There is no underlining in Windows consoles, AFAIR Smiley
Yeah, but why on earth would it show that in blue instead of just ignoring it?!

all fixed, my eyes thank you so much

also you don't know how relived I am to know that it is a coding irregularity rather than a deliberate color choice, haha 
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 12:58:04 PM

i suggest every one switch to Modular Python Bitcoin Miner
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62823.0

Are you suggesting that MPBM is just as stable as your miner python script?

ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 01:38:39 PM

looks like much more stable.  Cheesy

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 02:20:53 PM

looks like much more stable.  Cheesy

Well, I will give it a try when it moves to the beta or full release stage. But for the record I've been running your miner for a month now without any problems whatsoever.

ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 02:25:31 PM

looks like much more stable.  Cheesy

Well, I will give it a try when it moves to the beta or full release stage. But for the record I've been running your miner for a month now without any problems whatsoever.

the most important feature is Longpool support and backup pool.

and now the only bother thing is :

i re-installed python and curses with suggested version , but the format still looks strange. after that, work well.  Huh
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 02:36:49 PM

Oh dang, I forgot about long polling! That alone is worth upgrading for.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 03:51:36 PM

Wohoo..got it working. Just a note for those on Win 7 x64. First download and install curses mython module from here:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#curses

On a different note, what percent stale shares are you folks seeing?

hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 08:51:59 PM

I don't understand -- if you have a slow ping time you require the queue miner to get 380 mh/s

does this miner get 380mh/s on slow ping time ( about 420ms ping to deepbit) ?

thanks
Luke
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 09:03:09 PM

I don't understand -- if you have a slow ping time you require the queue miner to get 380 mh/s

does this miner get 380mh/s on slow ping time ( about 420ms ping to deepbit) ?

thanks
Luke

It should - even though you'll likely have slightly more stales than normal due to the high latency.
Fetching work fast enough shouldn't be a problem.

Defkin

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:36:30 AM

Can any of you that already have these tell me what your real world savings is on your utility bill and what your price per kWh is? I want to hear mainly from those that have replaced a video card with this product. With the dual purpose of the HD 7970 and its great hashing power I’m having trouble pulling the trigger on a product that's about the same price and can’t be used by me for anything but mining and can't be resold to anyone but miners. Thanks in advance.

I have both cards and icarus. Currently the for me the electricity to generate 1 btc is about 29c for GPU and 1.44c for FPGA and with BTC being around $6 it is not that important to me atm. I think the big advantage is ease of expandability:

This was my thinking when i considered the two, for me to add another 1gh for GPU or FPGA:-

FPGA: I just plug in 3 more units, 10 minutes work. Increase in heat/power 60w so not currently an issue. I will have to buy a new $15 usb hub when I add another 2gh, if I add another 20gh I will have to look at increasing cooling.

GPU: going to need another rig, MB, PSU, case, mem, HDD or usb, OS etc. Increase in heat/power 800w. I cannot fit a new rig in the area i am using, plus the noise will be too much. Moving both rigs to new area I will also have to increase external cooling as my current arrangement is not enough, a small window mount AC unit should do....another 500w. You get the picture...

If i keep on expanding to 10gh for GPU I will need to increase mains supply from the switch board, from the street should be ok till around 50gh. In comparison with FPGA I will not even have to look at this until i hit 100gh+

Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 05:09:23 AM

Can any of you that already have these tell me what your real world savings is on your utility bill and what your price per kWh is? I want to hear mainly from those that have replaced a video card with this product. With the dual purpose of the HD 7970 and its great hashing power I’m having trouble pulling the trigger on a product that's about the same price and can’t be used by me for anything but mining and can't be resold to anyone but miners. Thanks in advance.

I have both cards and icarus. Currently the for me the electricity to generate 1 btc is about 29c for GPU and 1.44c for FPGA and with BTC being around $6 it is not that important to me atm. I think the big advantage is ease of expandability:

<snip>

Those are all very good points, thank you. The cost savings looks like it's substantial. That's the only real issue for me. I have computers used by my family that I haven't upgraded the GPU on yet so the other factors are not as big a concern for me. Of course, I forgot about heat because it's winter. Thanks for reminding me how miserable last summer was for me.

Keep in mind that Defkin's cost of 29c to generate 1BTC is extremely low; most people cannot achieve anywhere this low a cost.

To generate 1BTC per day at today's difficulty would require 1400Ghps. That's 3 overclocked 5870s running at 200W each, or 600W. Add to that the power for the cpu, motherboard, and power supply efficiency (assume 90%) and that brings you up to 700W. Or 16.8kWh per day. The AVERAGE electricity rate in the US is $0.11/kWh. So 16.8kWh x $0.11/kWh is $1.85. Not $0.29.

So although Defkin can somehow generate 1BTC with his GPUs for $0.29, most people in the States will need $1.85 in electricity to generate that same 1BTC. Run the same numbers for the FPGA and see what you get. Defkin gets 1.44c, but again that is unrealistically low for the average person. Check your electricity bill and see what your actual rate is.
Defkin

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 10:43:03 AM

<snip>

Those are all very good points, thank you. The cost savings looks like it's substantial. That's the only real issue for me. I have computers used by my family that I haven't upgraded the GPU on yet so the other factors are not as big a concern for me. Of course, I forgot about heat because it's winter. Thanks for reminding me how miserable last summer was for me.

Keep in mind that Defkin's cost of 29c to generate 1BTC is extremely low; most people cannot achieve anywhere this low a cost.

To generate 1BTC per day at today's difficulty would require 1400Ghps. That's 3 overclocked 5870s running at 200W each, or 600W. Add to that the power for the cpu, motherboard, and power supply efficiency (assume 90%) and that brings you up to 700W. Or 16.8kWh per day. The AVERAGE electricity rate in the US is $0.11/kWh. So 16.8kWh x $0.11/kWh is $1.85. Not $0.29.

So although Defkin can somehow generate 1BTC with his GPUs for $0.29, most people in the States will need $1.85 in electricity to generate that same 1BTC. Run the same numbers for the FPGA and see what you get. Defkin gets 1.44c, but again that is unrealistically low for the average person. Check your electricity bill and see what your actual rate is.

You are correct CornedBeefHash I screwed up my calcs big time, still trying to work out where Sad

1 BTC GPU $2.11 @800w not including the 250w pedestal fan.
1 BTC FPGA 16c @64w
Mind you I am using a cheap $19 power meter too.

It is going to be nearly double that when they install the 'smart meter' the gov said would save us all money....Tongue
Unless of course I only run for 8h out of 24h period then it will be half........

reedlaw

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 03:44:17 PM

things get eaiser, I create a openwrt package for the router:
  http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/icarus/icarus-miner_20120209_all.ipk

wiki page have updated:
  http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Icarus#Using_TP-link.2Ftl-wr1043nd_as_host

xiangfu

I setup the miner.py under TP-Link wr1043nd home router. there is the steps:
  http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Icarus#Using_TP-link.2Ftl-wr1043nd_as_host

it is using Openwrt. since the python package is too big for the flash. so I cut down a lot of the python stuff. only works fine with miner.py.
and for now it only support monitor only one worker.

if you also want try. please let me know if it doesn't work.

Xiangfu, can your router package run the new Modular Python Bitcoin Miner software? I am thinking about getting that router to try out your package. Also, is there any chance it could ever support a USB hub?
hardpick

Football President

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 07:47:33 PM

<snip>

You are correct CornedBeefHash I screwed up my calcs big time, still trying to work out where Sad

1 BTC FPGA 16c @64w

It is going to be nearly double that when they install the 'smart meter' the gov said would save us all money....Tongue
Unless of course I only run for 8h out of 24h period then it will be half........

That's seems more like it.

Still at 1400Ghps to generate 1 BTC and the Icarus board producing an average hash rate of 362Mhps you would need 3.87 Icarus boards per BTC generated. At 1400Ghps to generate 1 BTC the 7970 card producing an average hash rate of 561Mhps you would need 2.49 7970 cards per BTC generated. At $600 per Icarus board initial purchase cost to generate 1 BTC would be $2,322 and at $559 per 7970 it would be $1,391.91. I can buy a lot of electricity for the $930 difference.

The big things for me are the expected life of the equipment, the initial cost, the electrical cost, the warranty and ability for resale of equipment.

I know the warranty return and repair policy for AMD cards. I don’t know what it would be for the Icarus board. Icarus is the obvious hands down winner in mh/watt and cooling but lifespan and resale value for even a year from now is a big unknown.

I think you forgot to add a pc with a big power supply (1200w /1500 w ?)  to run the  3 x 7970 ---  this could cost you the rest of the $930
hardpick

Football President

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 09:27:21 PM

No, the machines I would run them on are already running 24/7. I'm looking at upgrade cost.

I presume by upgrade means that you already have brought the pc -- to compare going forward I think you should take into account PC cost

I live in an apartment and tried to miner 6500 GH/s -- I found that the room got very hot and the circuit breaker over heated and popped
(I tryed to improved the power supply) but then had to move 2 mining rigs off site because of heat and power problems

I think if you have a house and a basement over 6500 mh/s would be ok

I believe I can run at least 20000 mh/s  or more in my apartment using fpga -- as opposed to 3800 mh/s using gpu's
Defkin

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 01:03:24 AM

<snip>

1 BTC FPGA 16c @64w

That's seems more like it.

Still at 1400Ghps to generate 1 BTC and the Icarus board producing an average hash rate of 362Mhps you would need 3.87 Icarus boards per BTC generated. At 1400Ghps to generate 1 BTC the 7970 card producing an average hash rate of 561Mhps you would need 2.49 7970 cards per BTC generated. At $600 per Icarus board initial purchase cost to generate 1 BTC would be $2,322 and at $559 per 7970 it would be $1,391.91. I can buy a lot of electricity for the $930 difference.

The big things for me are the expected life of the equipment, the initial cost, the electrical cost, the warranty and ability for resale of equipment.

I know the warranty return and repair policy for AMD cards. I don’t know what it would be for the Icarus board. Icarus is the obvious hands down winner in mh/watt and cooling but lifespan and resale value for even a year from now is a big unknown.

-The batch 2 boards are doing 380mh and the new alpha bitstream looks to have increased that to 400mh.
-Life of the equipment would be in favor of Icarus if only due to the number of components.
-Icarus has no warranty at all.
-Icarus would have resale value to BTC miners not the larger gaming market.
-if BTC stays around $6 Icarus earns about 30% more BTC if you pay $0.11Kwh and live in a cool climate.
-Icarus has no dual use, you cannot use for games.
-You cannot just add another card. Icarus needs no supporting equipment so adding a new board is no prob
-in comparison Icarus makes no noise.
-If you live in a warm climate $930 saving would be used for installing and running a cooling solution.

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 08:27:49 AM

-Icarus has no dual use, you cannot use for games.
Not entirely true. It's an programmable device, so you may upload bitstream with game, like pong Smiley You may upload a bitstream with ARM CortexM2 processor and I saw a doom game for that. And many, many more. Imagination is a limitation. Popably it wouldn't be a problem to convert Icarus to Playstation 1 game console. Only licence is on your way, so you will propably not find such a bitstream on internet, but you may do it yourself.
Not to mention that Icarus maybe converted to useful devices such as house alarm, meteo station, controller of a solar panel with sun tracking.... and much much more.

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: