Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:25:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262672 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 04:26:19 PM

Frankie strikes again:

to Laurie, me
Dear Laurie,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will love Pathways Togo.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for the women you work with in Togo.

@Dmitry, Laurie is a friend of mine whose husband is on my wife's work team. She's a former Peace Corps volunteer and started Pathways Togo with two friends to provide educational scholarships, mentoring and life skills training for young women in the village where they'd worked. A $1,000 donation would make a big difference helping the young women succeed and fulfill their potential.

Good luck!

+1 from me.

to Androniki, me
Dear Niki,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate Common Good City Farm.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for the farm's outreach and education efforts.

@Dmitry, Niki is a friend of mine with a great passion for food. I met her when she worked for a fair trade chocolate company; she now volunteers for a wonderful farm in downtown D.C. that helps educate low income DC residents about food production and healthy eating. I know they could do a lot of good with $1,000.

Good luck!

This one seems fine to me too.

pathwaystogo.org looks fine.

commongoodcityfarm.org looks fine, as well, Rassah.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 04:29:37 PM

I'm a couple behind now, but the vetting process is quite simple. I check to make sure that the domain has been registered for a decent amount of time, then check the Wayback Machine to make sure their site has been live for close to the same amount of time.

I also check to make sure none of the principles are bitcoiners looking for a freebie, of which has been attempted, but not necessarily on purpose. Also, I check to make sure they are not religious- or politically-based.

Bonus points awarded if there's a goat on their home page.  Grin

Time to shower, then off to see edd. Having dinner tonight with him at probably Ruth's Christ Steak House.

Bruno Kucinskas

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaha, no  Angry
You are not getting off that easy. Here's more for you:

francisco d

Hello i saw your website and i think its fabulous, we are a league against aids inc a non profit company.

Please check us out, heres our info.

http://www.leagueagainstaids.com/32.html

Here's our reddit post.

http://redd.it/1s6fgq

Thank you for your time,

A league against aids miami.

leagueagainstaids.com looks fine, Rassah. I hope they embedded.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 04:31:44 PM

Another donation sent

Hi Dmitry,

I just got our website updated with a bitcoin donation button and landing page.
Hold shift-f5 to reload our website live instead of from your browsers cache.

You can see the landing page here: http://www.lastdoor.org/main/bitcoin.html
You can see the button here: http://www.lastdoor.org/

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thanks kindly,

Matthew Kalenuik, I.C.A.D.C
Addictions Counsellor

https://blockchain.info/tx/3fc27d0a64f863f6030b815a10586bf3892db48a29c9ea5824cbca23294d8df5

We may just run out of money yet! (Haha, who am I kidding)

Approved, albeit late, but great cause.

All caught up, now. Now, I need to pen an email to some other entity prior to heading out to CoinTerra and earn my bribe.  Roll Eyes

~TMIBTCITW
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 04:44:40 PM

Thanks for your help. I notified the charities that they can go ahead and start the process. I'd be totally lost without you  Grin
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 01:10:47 AM

Thanks for your help. I notified the charities that they can go ahead and start the process. I'd be totally lost without you  Grin

We gotta figure out what to do with http://nexus-fund.org/ They may be a deserving NPO but, like you, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around them. Perhaps if they didn't use so many adjectives and adverbs, not to mention a shitload of clichés...

Perhaps, ask Sally who they have given grants to recently, along with shedding a tad more light on exactly what they do. What I find ironic is if this entity was several years old, based outta Arkansas and the website hacked together by a Kentuckian, they would have already received an endowment from Bitcoin 100. Not trying to make a funny, but I hope those reading this see my point.

Anybody reading this is welcome to chime in to shed some light on The Nexus Fund. I'm sure they're a deserving bunch, but we currently feel prudent to act on the side of caution while the jury is still out (cliché speak).

Another option is to have Rassah speak to Sally on the phone, and if he feels comfortable after the exchange, he would simply tell her it's a go, then follow through with the endowment once The Nexus Fund embeds, or let her know that a tad more time is needed to consider the endowment if Rassah still has doubts.

Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 07:30:48 AM

Wrote emails and did phone interviews for this. Hope it came out alright

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/12/bitcoin-homeless-redux/
raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:39:09 PM

Does Mars One qualify for this? It accepts bitcoins now.

No one interested in this venture? I think they are honest, but if no one donates, it will never happen.

http://www.mars-one.com/en/donate

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:56:20 PM

Wrote emails and did phone interviews for this. Hope it came out alright

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/12/bitcoin-homeless-redux/

Did fine, Rassah, but the article didn't mention Thanksgiving at Satoshi Forest.  Cry

Does Mars One qualify for this? It accepts bitcoins now.

No one interested in this venture? I think they are honest, but if no one donates, it will never happen.

http://www.mars-one.com/en/donate

Unfortunately, Mars One no longer qualifies due to the fact the Bitcoin 100 allocates endowments to NPOs for the sole purpose of bringing further awareness to Bitcoin proper, albeit we've made an exception with the Bitcoin Documentary crew and perhaps one other entity (taxing my memory on the latter).

That said, and although it's a grey area, I have an idea. Why don't you start a thread for the sole purpose of raising at least $1,000 USD via Bitcoin within the next 30 days? If said goal is reached, Bitcoin 100 will match the first $1,000 USD.

Post in this thread and PM me if you're up to the task.

~TMIBTCITW
SeansOutpost

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 01:22:23 AM

Hey everyone,

I just sent these people your way from Reddit. There cause looks very worthy to me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1si4fw/hi_my_husband_told_me_about_bitcoin_and_i_run_my/

Jason

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:06:19 AM

And now Erik Fendik from he DC Bitcoin Meetup group has joined in to help:

Hi Shabana,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in DC in a group of people enthusiastic about innovative technologies that improve our society. He now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. I am also getting him in touch with over a dozen more organizations I have been connected to. I think he will really appreciate Hope Through Education and School of Leadership, Afghanistan.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for your genuine and altruistic efforts.

@Dmitry, Shabana is a friend of mine with a great passion for improving lives of others. I met her at Middlebury College while getting immersed in challenges and peculiarities about socio-economic development. Shabana strives to educate women and works terelessly to do so at her home in Afghanistan. She has been recognized for her work countless times nationally and internationally (eg. link1, [urlhttp://www.bushcenter.org/blog/2013/05/13/leading-change-featuring-shabana-basij-rasikh]link2[/url]).
   I know she and her partners could do a lot of good with $1,000 and I thank you kindly for your time helping out!

Good luck!

Thanks to Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns, I'm all for getting women access to education in Afghanistan, so these are +1 for me

Hi Claudia,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in DC in a group of people enthusiastic about innovative technologies that improve our society. He now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. I am also getting him in touch with over a dozen more organizations I have been connected to. I think he will really appreciate Global Family Initiative.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for your genuine and altruistic efforts.

@Dmitry, Claudia is a friend of mine with a great passion for improving lives of others. I met her at Middlebury College while taking educational studies classes in her department and collaborating with her on educational outreach efforts. She is an amazing professor, educator, and an inspirational leader. She founded Betasab in 2008 which is now a part of her Global Family Initiative. I was fortunate enough to be a part of their field work in Ethiopia last summer when I helped setting up a computer literacy lab for them.
   I know they could do a lot of good with $1,000 and I thank you kindly for your time helping out!

Good luck!

This one seems fine too.

Hi Muyambi,

Awesome fundraising time on Thursday!

As I told you in person, please virtually meet my friend Dmitry. We met in DC in a group of people enthusiastic about innovative technologies that improve our society. He now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. I am also getting him in touch with over a dozen more organizations I have been connected to. I think he will really appreciate Bicycles Against Poverty (BAP).

@Dmitry, Muyambi is a friend of mine with a great passion for improving lives of others. I met him at Red Cross Nordic United World College in Norway where we lived in the same house and shared struggles as well as joys running marathons together. After Muyambi got a scholarship at Bucknell University, PA, he established BAP in 2009 (you can read more at the UWC press release).
   I know they could do a lot of good with $1,000 and I thank you kindly for your time helping out!

Good luck!

Donating bikes to let kids reach far away schools, and others reach markets and such in remote areas. Man, some of these charities are inventive Smiley +1 from me, too.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:13:31 AM

Also, the Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice, a London-based NGO, just started to accept bitcoin (http://www.srilankacampaign.org/giveanonymously.htm) They actually started taking it a sort while ago, but forgot to tell us Tongue Does that disqualify them? (*looks at Phinneas*  Tongue)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:37:22 AM

leagueagainstaids.com looks fine, Rassah. I hope they embedded.

They're definitely not subtle: http://www.leagueagainstaids.com/index2.html  and  http://www.leagueagainstaids.com/53.html

$1,000 donation sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/4fdcc37f6045ad3184a92b6b371467259d234631bbb026d4c65b78238b1a1417
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:19:56 AM

Also

http://www.baltimoreannapoliskendo.com/common/page.php?id=15

this is also a non-profit (registered), run by volunteers, open to the public, with monthly fees only going to pay to rent the practice space. This isn't really a charity, but thought I'd ask.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:34:48 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2013, 02:41:41 AM by Rassah

And another two from Frankie

Dear Maria,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He has donated $1,000 each to the Khan Academy, Inward Bound Mindfulness Education, and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network, to name a few. I think Collegiate might be a great fit.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. It arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of a nerdy-but-amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) that is poised to become the dominant online payment method. Their goal is to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good for Collegiate.

@Dmitry, Maria is my cousin and works in fundraising for the private (nonprofit, of course) high school I attended in Richmond, VA. They create a rigorous learning environment with small class sizes and a reputation for a community-focused culture. A $1,000 donation would make a big difference helping provide scholarships-- I certainly couldn't have gone to school there myself without such donations.

Good luck!

This one is a non-profit private school. I think this one may be stretching it a bit  Undecided

Dear Jess,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He recently donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's Inward Bound Mindfulness Education and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the mission of Clear Water Initiative.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early BitCoin adopters to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good helping your group provide drinking water.

@Dmitry, Jess is a friend of mine who works at the same coworking space as I do. Her group has helped fight diarrhea since 2007 by empowering displaced Ugandans returning from refugee camps to rehabilitate and maintain wells. A $1,000 donation would be a big help with their projects.

Good luck!

This one seems legit.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 05:41:41 AM

Hey everyone,

I just sent these people your way from Reddit. There cause looks very worthy to me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1si4fw/hi_my_husband_told_me_about_bitcoin_and_i_run_my/

Jason

Just got an e-mail from them today, and was wondering when they started taking bitcoin donations, until I saw your post. Here's the e-mail

Hi Dmitry, my name is Shannon Forsythe and I am the Executive Director of
Run2 Rescue, a US non-profit that helps girls who have hurt by sex
trafficking. SeansOutpost on reddit informed me about Bitcoin100 and
advised me to contact you about supporting and listing our organization.
I'm not sure what information you need from us but our website is
run2rescue.com and the donation page on our site is at:
run2rescue.com/donate.html which includes our Bitcoin address.

Let me me know if there is any documentation or anything else you need.
Thank you for work in helping non-profits and thank you for your
consideration and time,

Shannon Forsythe
Executive Director
Run 2 Rescue

These guys were just recently convinced to take bitcoin donations (like, today I think), so they may still qualify. Maybe. We need to discuss this further.

So far what we've agreed upon is:
If a charity is owned by a bitcoiner, it shouldn't qualify
If a charity has already been receiving bitcoin for a while, it shouldn't qualify

Bot of these reasons are because Bitcoin100 is supposed to entice new charities to accept bitcoin. Possibly charities who wouldn't have considered it otherwise. But is there a cutoff point to this? For example, what if someone convinces a charity to accept bitcoin, and then as soon as they do, points them to us? In this case, the charity wasn't convinced to take bitcoin specifically because of our $1,000 reward, but should we keep from rewarding them for taking the step anyway?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:40:35 AM

At the Inside Bitcoins conference now in Vegas, and will take the time to check and reply the last few posts later tonight, early tomorrow morning at the latest.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 02:30:15 AM

At the Inside Bitcoins conference now in Vegas, and will take the time to check and reply the last few posts later tonight, early tomorrow morning at the latest.

~Bruno Kucinskas

No problem (I'm jealous)
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 03:56:15 AM

I'll start working on an address for Freequant and Bruno tonight (sorry for the delay)

In the mean time, another one:

Chris R.

I run a non-profit and am interested in accepting Bitcoin and working with Bitcoin 100.  How would you recommend going about this?
Our website is http://we-search.org.  We are a crowdfunding charity for medical research.  I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Seems to be active on Twitter and, more so, Reddit. https://twitter.com/WeSearchOrg (follow the links to the Reddit conversations)

Passes, and seems to be a good cause.

$1,000 donation sent
https://blockchain.info/tx/a89d9e0e15058bad74fa60bcdb5081e3ab824fe4a98893581c9decc23cd03fe3
id10tothe9

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:03:14 PM

hi, I'm trying to get some charities I know of to accept bitcoin and I found your site http://bitcoin100.org/ but I kinda can't figure out how this works. Can somebody enlighten me?  Roll Eyes
thanks!

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 04:43:45 AM

hi, I'm trying to get some charities I know of to accept bitcoin and I found your site http://bitcoin100.org/ but I kinda can't figure out how this works. Can somebody enlighten me?  Roll Eyes
thanks!

If the charity is non-religious and non-political in nature, just get them to accept bitcoin, and we'll give them $1,000. That's it. Let us know what charity you are thinking about, so we can vet them please.
Pages: « 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: