Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:29:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262679 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 06:01:07 PM

And another one:

Dmitry,

A Hat for Harold (www.ahatforharold.org) is a 501(c)(3) public charity based in Silver Spring, MD and has just begun accepting Bitcoin. Is Bitcoin100 still donating $1000 to nonprofits accepting Bitcoin?

If so, I would like to submit A Hat for Harold.

Thank you for the consideration.

Sherri

Sherri is a Seventh-day Adventist, but upon pursuing the site, I see no mention of, nor links to the religious org, which is good. I feel we can safely assume that Sherri will use all donations via any and all means to the utmost good.

Now, I need to knit a hat.

~Bruno Kucinskas

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 06:08:58 PM

Am I able to nominate a non-profit to be a recipient?

Bitcoin100 is not a structured organization, ad is owned and run by donors and anyone else wishing to help. So everyone is free to nominate and contribute.

http://www.theroadhome.org/

The Road Home accepts Bitcoin donations through a coinbase widget right on their donation page. On their Give link under Make a Donation, they have it split between cash donations on the left and Bitcoin on the right. They provide emergency shelter and run a winter shelter.

Any idea when they added bitcoin donations? I'm also curious as to how they decided on it.

This should answer your question, Rassah: http://www.meetup.com/Utah-Bitcoin-Community/messages/boards/thread/39924902

Yeah, it looks like just after Thanksgiving this year. Does that disqualify them? Or is that recent enough and have an appropriate non-profit mission?

Nah, I think it's still ok. Besides, December isn't a real month, since a large chunk of it is eaten up by holidays and vacation time  Wink

Learning that December is not a real month, I also approve of this endowment.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 06:23:59 PM

Received this:

Elsa Hammond

Dear Rassah,

It has been suggested by a couple of people that I get in contact with you.

My name is Elsa Hammond, and this summer I am undertaking to row across the Pacific Ocean, from California to Hawaii - alone - to raise awareness of plastic pollution in the world's oceans.
I'm still looking for sponsorship and donations to fund the core costs of the challenge, and accept Bitcoin as well as other currencies.

Please see these recent news articles:

http://www.coindesk.com/blockchain-info-sponsors-british-woman-solo-row-across-pacific/

http://bitcoinprbuzz.com/elsas-pacific-solo-row-from-california-to-hawaii-seeking-bitcoin-sponsorship-and-donations/

And my website:

http://www.elsahammond.com/support/

http://www.elsahammond.com/donate/

Is this something that Bitcoin100 would be able to help with?

Thank you so much for reading,

Very best,
Elsa

and I replied with this:

I'll forward your request to our public discussion group, since the money we donate ultimately belongs to our donors, but I'm not sure they will approve to qualify you, since the purpose of our group is to raise bitcoin awareness by convincing charities who otherwise wouldn't consider it to accept it on their websites.

-- Dmitry
   Bitcoin100.org

Let me know what your opinions are of this one.

From her website: http://www.elsahammond.com/2013/11/funded-by-bitcoin/

I am fortunate enough to have converted a few pounds into Bitcoins a few years ago, and the value of these is enough to fund a small but not insignificant portion of Elsa’s campaign.

Sadly, Bitcoin 100 would be viewed way outta bounds if we endowed this particular noble cause. Perhaps BFL's http://www.bitcoindf.org/ could do something for her.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 02:13:46 AM

Now finally, I am happy to announce that BeVolunteer, the NGO behind BeWelcome, accepts Bitcoin as donations!

http://www.bewelcome.org/donate[/b]

I remember this, and there is no problem with this org whatsoever.

Rassah, please take care of this one ASAP. Thanks, bud.

Awww, damnit! That would be the way I would love to travel, getting to see the life and culture of a country from within, but I am certain I will forget about this group when I go on my next trip Sad
Oh well. $1,000 sent https://blockchain.info/tx/c5b5550ba3dca83081ef0b1ac13a044b9fea0a61ad6911b204aeeac34418b779

Rassah, it would be awesome if you could split the amount into two transactions for two days.

... oops  Tongue

I typically scan through the messages one by one and take care of business as I go through them. Hopefully this won't cause problems.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 03:47:16 AM

Frankie again:

Frankie Abralind

to Zosia, me

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the mission of Collective Action for Safe Spaces.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. You will be immediately able to convert the donation into USD. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference at Collective Action.

@Dmitry, I met Zosia at a class at the Foundation Center. She works for a great small nonprofit that fights public sexual harassment and assault. They had a recent successful campaign to push DC Metro to be more supportive in preventing harassment, and I know they could do a lot of good with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

and their reply

Zosia Sztykowski <zosia@collectiveactiondc.org>
Jan 8 (1 day ago)

to Frankie, me
Thanks so much, Frankie! It's nice to "meet" you, Dmitry.

To give you a little more background on Collective Action for Safe Spaces (CASS), we've been working in the DC metro area since 2009 to empower people in the community to end public sexual harassment and assault. Here’s a sampling of what we’ve accomplished in the past year:

Worked with WMATA to launch a PSA campaign against harassment and assault on the Metro, and to develop its next phases, as Frankie mentioned! This year, WMATA will be training all 3,000 of its frontline employees as a direct result of our advocacy. These efforts make it one of the most progressive -- if not the most progressive -- transit agencies in the world on sexual assault prevention.
Educated hundreds of people, including members of the public, local community groups, American University students and youth, about the problem of public sexual harassment and assault and how to end it.
Spearheaded a [urlhttp://www.collectiveactiondc.org/2013/12/13/8-number-of-amazing-emotional-hours-we-spent-at-yesterdays-dc-council-hearing/]policy advocacy effort[/url] to change the way sexual assault cases are handled by DC police.
We did all of this with a staff composed entirely of volunteers. We didn't hire our first paid staff member (me, incidentally!) until November 2013.

Given what you've funded in the past, I think we'd be a good match. I do know about bitcoins and I love the mission of your foundation! For small nonprofits like us, the 3% donation processing fee charged by most third-party platforms is pretty significant. Do you require a full proposal from the organizations you fund? Just let me know what information you need from me!

Feel free to reach out via email or phone if you have any questions or would like to discuss CASS's work. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Zosia

I didn't know DC Was so rapey.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 03:53:38 AM

And another one:

Dmitry,

A Hat for Harold (www.ahatforharold.org) is a 501(c)(3) public charity based in Silver Spring, MD and has just begun accepting Bitcoin. Is Bitcoin100 still donating $1000 to nonprofits accepting Bitcoin?

If so, I would like to submit A Hat for Harold.

Thank you for the consideration.

Sherri

Sherri is a Seventh-day Adventist, but upon pursuing the site, I see no mention of, nor links to the religious org, which is good. I feel we can safely assume that Sherri will use all donations via any and all means to the utmost good.

Now, I need to knit a hat.

~Bruno Kucinskas

Yeah, it looks like it's mostly for small counseling and job help type support. So I have no issues with any of this either. $1,000 donation sent:
https://blockchain.info/tx/d6a8a1fcadb90390065288786cb68e9af8a42abbbdd273a7cb311882f515c58d

and a reply received

sherri@ahatforharold.org

That's terrific! Thank you for your support...This donation will provide micro grants for 3-4 peer council meetings.

Thank you.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 04:07:02 AM

Another one o consider. Not sure about tis from a charity perspective but maybe good advertising?

Meetup Message from: Winslow S., Member of Washington, DC Bitcoin Users Group
Bitcoin100 charity proposal

Dear Dmitry,

It was nice to meet you last night at the DC bitcoin meetup. As I mentioned, I'd like to get the "Environmental Film Festival in the Nation's Capital" to accept bitcoin donations. They are a nonprofit 501(c)(3), and their information page is here: http://www.dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org/about

I think it would be helpful if they could be coaxed with a contingent bitcoin100 donation. Would you be willing to submit them for eligibility assessment?

Thank you for your consideration, and for all your benefactor work.

Best,
Winslow

Note, "Over 31,000 people attended the Festival and 80 percent of the programs were offered free to the public." That would be a lot of extra eyes on Bitcoin.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 05:20:08 AM

GrowingOpportunitiesInternational.org : To address your question, I guess I already somewhat stated the same thing in an above post. We can easily give a little latitude as long as we take all concerns into consideration--donors, NPO's reach/quality of their cause, etc.

I guess latitude given, and $1,000 donation sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/f119ab9a9623582693f9e67ace1e16a0d4d8f3f349eb391772e3abe5c74b31f0
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 07:03:44 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2014, 03:41:30 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Don't forget to only send half... oops! too late.  Grin Don't worry about it, Rassah.

Will check the most recent submissions later tonight.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 08:08:23 PM

Spreading the thanks!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! and please tell everyone at Bitcoin100 THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will definitely help us add to the construction of Hero Home in Tanzania!!

Have a great weekend!
THANKS!

Amanda Furst
GO! Founder
www.GrowingOpportunitiesInternational.org
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 03:52:03 AM

Frankie again:

Frankie Abralind

to Zosia, me

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the mission of Collective Action for Safe Spaces.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. You will be immediately able to convert the donation into USD. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference at Collective Action.

@Dmitry, I met Zosia at a class at the Foundation Center. She works for a great small nonprofit that fights public sexual harassment and assault. They had a recent successful campaign to push DC Metro to be more supportive in preventing harassment, and I know they could do a lot of good with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

and their reply

Zosia Sztykowski <zosia@collectiveactiondc.org>
Jan 8 (1 day ago)

to Frankie, me
Thanks so much, Frankie! It's nice to "meet" you, Dmitry.

To give you a little more background on Collective Action for Safe Spaces (CASS), we've been working in the DC metro area since 2009 to empower people in the community to end public sexual harassment and assault. Here’s a sampling of what we’ve accomplished in the past year:

Worked with WMATA to launch a PSA campaign against harassment and assault on the Metro, and to develop its next phases, as Frankie mentioned! This year, WMATA will be training all 3,000 of its frontline employees as a direct result of our advocacy. These efforts make it one of the most progressive -- if not the most progressive -- transit agencies in the world on sexual assault prevention.
Educated hundreds of people, including members of the public, local community groups, American University students and youth, about the problem of public sexual harassment and assault and how to end it.
Spearheaded a [urlhttp://www.collectiveactiondc.org/2013/12/13/8-number-of-amazing-emotional-hours-we-spent-at-yesterdays-dc-council-hearing/]policy advocacy effort[/url] to change the way sexual assault cases are handled by DC police.
We did all of this with a staff composed entirely of volunteers. We didn't hire our first paid staff member (me, incidentally!) until November 2013.

Given what you've funded in the past, I think we'd be a good match. I do know about bitcoins and I love the mission of your foundation! For small nonprofits like us, the 3% donation processing fee charged by most third-party platforms is pretty significant. Do you require a full proposal from the organizations you fund? Just let me know what information you need from me!

Feel free to reach out via email or phone if you have any questions or would like to discuss CASS's work. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Zosia

I didn't know DC Was so rapey.

http://www.collectiveactiondc.org/ looks fine, Rassah.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 03:56:51 AM

Another one o consider. Not sure about tis from a charity perspective but maybe good advertising?

Meetup Message from: Winslow S., Member of Washington, DC Bitcoin Users Group
Bitcoin100 charity proposal

Dear Dmitry,

It was nice to meet you last night at the DC bitcoin meetup. As I mentioned, I'd like to get the "Environmental Film Festival in the Nation's Capital" to accept bitcoin donations. They are a nonprofit 501(c)(3), and their information page is here: http://www.dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org/about

I think it would be helpful if they could be coaxed with a contingent bitcoin100 donation. Would you be willing to submit them for eligibility assessment?

Thank you for your consideration, and for all your benefactor work.

Best,
Winslow

Note, "Over 31,000 people attended the Festival and 80 percent of the programs were offered free to the public." That would be a lot of extra eyes on Bitcoin.

Yep! I concur. They pass muster.

~Bruno Kucinskas
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 02:19:04 PM

Bitcion100 Charities Page updated: http://bitcoin100.org/charities/

Still around.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 02:15:14 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 03:20:41 AM by Rassah

Frankie strikes again (next 4 posts)

Dear Ben,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He recently donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the work you're doing with Teens Run DC.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called bitcoins (if you're not too familiar with them them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in bitcoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. Your processor can immediately convert the donation into USD if you like, so you don't actually have to hold bitcoins in your account at all. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference for your kids.

@Dmitry, I met Ben at a class at the Foundation Center. He's a smart, friendly guy with a cool organization-- they help at-risk DC teens develop develop greater responsibility, discipline, perseverance, and goal-setting skills by training them for long distance races. They could make a big difference with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

Don't see any issues with this one.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:19:07 AM

Dear Amanda,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He recently donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the work you're doing with the Committee for Human Rights in North Korea.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called bitcoins (if you're not too familiar with them them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in bitcoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. Your processor can immediately convert the donation into USD if you like, so you don't actually have to hold bitcoins in your account at all. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference for North Koreans.

@Dmitry, I met Amanda at a class at the Foundation Center. She's smart and very nice and works for a great organization: the bipartisan Committee for Human Rights in North Korea works to end North Korea's gulags and bring more information and freedoms to the people of the country. They could make a big difference with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

Our guidelines are "non-political," and I think this one still qualifies, as they focus on human rights abuses, not politics.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:23:40 AM

Dear Jessica,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He recently donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will be eager to support the great work of the National Kidney Foundation.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. Your processor can immediately convert the donation into USD if you like, so you don't actually have to hold bitcoins in your account at all. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference for fighting kidney disease.

@Dmitry, I met Jessica at a class at the Foundation Center. She is a development manager for the National Kidney Foundation. They're dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease in America. They have made a difference for hundreds of thousands of people and could do a lot with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

Definitely no issues with this one. Though, since I have had kidney stones before, twice, there may be a conflict of interest for me  Grin
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:28:33 AM

Sara,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He recently donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the work your organizations are doing.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. Your processor can immediately convert the donation into USD if you like, so you don't actually have to hold bitcoins in your account at all. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference for incarcerated people and homeless kids.

@Dmitry, I met Sara at a class at the Foundation Center. She is a passionate do-gooder who works as a volunteer fundraiser for two organizations. One is called Voices for a Second Chance: they provide services for people incarcerated in D.C. jails. The other is Bright Beginnings: they provide child care for homeless children. Both organizations could make a big difference with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

Would we only be funding one of the charities as before?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:43:21 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 04:02:56 AM by Rassah

I'm personally going to be trying to pursue this charity, too http://www.friskys.org/
Unless anyone has any objections

P.S. this will be the SECOND monkey-related charity we would fund. Or at least somewhat monkey-related.

Also, would AOPA qualify for this? Part of what they do is lobby congress to make sure it doesn't pass stupid laws regarding flying that would screw tings up for private pilots (kinda like the BTC wants to lobby congress to make sure they don't pass stupid anti-bitcoin laws), but mostly they do things like safety training, providing tools, maps and info for pilots, training materials for students, etc.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:21:36 PM

I'm personally going to be trying to pursue this charity, too http://www.friskys.org/
Unless anyone has any objections

P.S. this will be the SECOND monkey-related charity we would fund. Or at least somewhat monkey-related.

Also, would AOPA qualify for this? Part of what they do is lobby congress to make sure it doesn't pass stupid laws regarding flying that would screw tings up for private pilots (kinda like the BTC wants to lobby congress to make sure they don't pass stupid anti-bitcoin laws), but mostly they do things like safety training, providing tools, maps and info for pilots, training materials for students, etc.

From Bruno (bear) to Rassah (furry), in re. monkey site: When I was a kid, we had a chihuahua named Frisky. Also, my parents--mostly mom--used to call us six kids 'monkeys'.

Ergo, before I return to re-reading http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Farm-George-Orwell/dp/0451526341, I'll declare that I like friskys.org.

Also, there shouldn't be any problem with AOPA, but if they embed, perhaps http://www.bitcoindf.org/ may consider donating to them as well.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:26:47 PM

Frankie strikes again (next 4 posts)

Dear Ben,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He recently donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the work you're doing with Teens Run DC.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. Your processor can immediately convert the donation into USD if you like, so you don't actually have to hold bitcoins in your account at all. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference for your kids.

@Dmitry, I met Ben at a class at the Foundation Center. He's a smart, friendly guy with a cool organization-- they help at-risk DC teens develop develop greater responsibility, discipline, perseverance, and goal-setting skills by training them for long distance races. They could make a big difference with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

Don't see any issues with this one.

http://www.teensrundc.org/ look fine, along with being a great cause.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: