Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:56:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521678 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 09:01:41 PM

Hi,

I'm unable to get Armory 0.82.2 (armory_0.82.2-alpha_i386.deb) to run on Ubuntu 10.04.4 (lucid) and Bitcoin-Qt 0.6.3-beta.  Either offline mode or regular mode.  This is the output:

Code:
$ python /usr/share/armory/ArmoryQt.py --off
ImportError: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15` not found (required by /usr/share/armory/_CppBlockUtils.so)

Is there a certain gcc version requirement?  Looks like I've got gcc 4.4.3.

Interesting... That error hasn't happened in a while, and used to be related to python versions, but I had fixed that. 

This was compiled on 12.04-32bit, which was a change I made a while ago (but no official releases).  I wonder if I just had no 10.04-32bit testers who ran into it...?

I'll look into it tonight. 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 02:29:10 AM

Hi,

I'm unable to get Armory 0.82.2 (armory_0.82.2-alpha_i386.deb) to run on Ubuntu 10.04.4 (lucid) and Bitcoin-Qt 0.6.3-beta.  Either offline mode or regular mode.  This is the output:

Try this version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1139081/ArmoryTestingReleases/armory_0.82.2_i386.deb

I recompiled on a 10.04-32bit system.  That should work.   I'll replace it on the downloads page if there are no complaints.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:13:33 PM

A few days ago I downloaded and installed Armory on my windows 7 laptop, but I can't seem to get it to run in online mode.  Whenever I try to run Armory it says it can't detect the satoshi client.  I have Bitcoin-QT (version 6.2-beta) running and the block-chain is synced with the network.  Is there anything big I'm missing or do I have a unique problem?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 03:18:15 PM

A few days ago I downloaded and installed armory on my windows 7 laptop, but I can't seem to get it to run in online mode.  When ever I try to run Armory it says it can't detect the satoshi client  I have Bitcoin-QT (version 6.2-beta) running and the block-chain is synced with the network.  Is there anything big I'm missing or do I have a unique problem?

Do you have any abnormal setup, such as bitcoin-qt home directory in a non-standard location?  Or using a non-standard port for bitcoin-qt? 

Armory expects to find blk000*.dat in your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin directory, and expects the Satoshi client to be accessible through port 8333.

Also, next time it's open in offline mode, try going to File-->Export Log File and check the file for anything that looks suspicious.  I doubt there's much there (I don't have much networking-related logging code) but it won't hurt.

Anything else you can think of that is non-standard?

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 04:14:41 PM

Do you have any abnormal setup, such as bitcoin-qt home directory in a non-standard location?  Or using a non-standard port for bitcoin-qt? 

Armory expects to find blk000*.dat in your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin directory, and expects the Satoshi client to be accessible through port 8333.

Also, next time it's open in offline mode, try going to File-->Export Log File and check the file for anything that looks suspicious.  I doubt there's much there (I don't have much networking-related logging code) but it won't hurt.

I use Bitcoin on port 9050 through Tor.  I tried it without Tor and it worked fine.  Is their any way to configure the Armory client to work while running Bitcoin through TOR?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 04:32:54 PM

I use Bitcoin on port 9050 through Tor.  I tried it without Tor and it worked fine.  Is their any way to configure the Armory client to work while running Bitcoin through TOR?

You'd think I'd have a settings or CLI option for specifying non-standard satoshi port, but I guess I never added one.   I'll try to remember to add it to the next release.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 04:40:00 PM

Oh sorry since we had a PM exchange I figured you'd remember Smiley

I bet this is another error-in-the-error-logging-code issue.  I think it may have been fixed in the latest 0.82.1 version I posted.  Were you using it? (posted about 4 days ago).  It's been a while, but I seem to remember seeing a similar error and then fixing it.  If you are using 0.82+, can you try to send the transaction, then when it fails, go to the main menu and File-->Export Log File.  Only the last 50 or so lines will be necessary to see what happened.  If you think it might be sensitive, just extract the error message and PM/email it to me.   

But again, I think this may be fixed already in the previous post.  This is why I kept 0.82+ in testing so long, because I touched every part of the code to put in logging and inevitably broke stuff....  Undecided

And subsequently we had  a PM discussion and you said you'd look into it after the holiday. It had something to do with the client thinking it lost contact with the Satoshi client while it actually didn't and the Satoshi client is also is actually sending data to the Armory client and it is accepting this data to. However it still is in a disconnected state and therefore blocking actions that need an active connection.

Okay, now I remember.  I end up in a lot of PM/email conversations about random bugs and couldn't remember for sure which and how many bugs you reported Smiley 

So, Armory on your system thinks it never completed the handshake with the Satoshi client and refuses to send transactions.  I don't know any other way to diagnose this other than adding a ton of log-file output and having you run it (I'll just add a separate logger and CLI flag to turn it on).  I'll try to get to that tonight. 

Hey, have you had time to look into this already?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 05:38:27 PM

Hey, have you had time to look into this already?

I haven't forgotten about you.  I'm just working a 60-hour week at work-work and haven't had time to think about Armory much (I'm at work-work right now).

This week is kind of intense, but I will be taking most of the following week off, mostly to catch up on Armory stuff Smiley  Then back to my normal schedule of 30 hours/week on each.

However, since you keep reminding me, I'll try to make some time tonight to get the networking logging implemented and send you a special version.  If the problem turns out to be really simple, I'd feel silly if you had to wait a month to figure it out!

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 05:47:41 PM

Wow, I apologize if I came across as pushy or anything, this was not my intention at all.

You do not have to hurry and you can take all the time you need to fix this. I was just reminding you because 5 days ago you posted you'd get to it that night and I hadn't seen or heard anything about it so I thought you might have forgotten. Please don't go work yourself silly for something that isn't that big a deal (It's just the 1.05 BTC I cannot access right now, but will be able to access in the future).

Please don't go and do extra work if you are already working 60 hours, that cannot be healthy.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 06:41:04 PM

Wow, I apologize if I came across as pushy or anything, this was not my intention at all.

You do not have to hurry and you can take all the time you need to fix this. I was just reminding you because 5 days ago you posted you'd get to it that night and I hadn't seen or heard anything about it so I thought you might have forgotten. Please don't go work yourself silly for something that isn't that big a deal (It's just the 1.05 BTC I cannot access right now, but will be able to access in the future).

Please don't go and do extra work if you are already working 60 hours, that cannot be healthy.

Haha, don't worry.  I didn't interpret it as pushy or anything of the sort.  I really want to spend time on Armory, I just haven't had any period of uninterrupted time to dive into anything big (like changing blockchain utilities again).  However, this network logging thing won't require a lot of attention span, and I will have no problem doing it.  After all, I really want to know what's going on, too.

This excessive work thing is rare for me.  In 6 years I've worked here, I've only worked overtime 2 or 3 times, and never this much.  So this is non-standard, but it's important so I'm putting up with it this one time.   Hell, if I wasn't working, I'd probably be doing Armory 60 hours per week.  My brain is fine with it as long as it's intellectually stimulating Smiley

So, if you don't hear from me, remind me later next week.  If you do hear from me, it's not because you coerced me.  It's because I wanted to.  No guilt trips, please.

ScarecrowMagick

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:31:13 PM

Love Armory - Have been running v 0.82.2-Alpha that I compiled from git on my Ubunto 12.04 box. It will run fine for 1 or two days, then suddenly I get:

***ERROR:  parseNewBlockData did not get enough data...
Adding new block data to memory pool failed!Block data did not extend the main chain!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It starts up fine after that. Nothing is lost. This has happened a couple times, so I thought you should know

ScarecrowMagick
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:36:14 PM

I don't say much on this topic, but Armory is running fine with me, no error (I'm using 0.82.2)
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:24:29 PM

Haha, don't worry.  I didn't interpret it as pushy or anything of the sort.  I really want to spend time on Armory, I just haven't had any period of uninterrupted time to dive into anything big (like changing blockchain utilities again).  However, this network logging thing won't require a lot of attention span, and I will have no problem doing it.  After all, I really want to know what's going on, too.

This excessive work thing is rare for me.  In 6 years I've worked here, I've only worked overtime 2 or 3 times, and never this much.  So this is non-standard, but it's important so I'm putting up with it this one time.   Hell, if I wasn't working, I'd probably be doing Armory 60 hours per week.  My brain is fine with it as long as it's intellectually stimulating Smiley

So, if you don't hear from me, remind me later next week.  If you do hear from me, it's not because you coerced me.  It's because I wanted to.  No guilt trips, please.

Okay great. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same line as misunderstandings do happen in text only communication without intonation. Good luck and let me know if you need me.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 09:12:36 PM

Love Armory - Have been running v 0.82.2-Alpha that I compiled from git on my Ubunto 12.04 box. It will run fine for 1 or two days, then suddenly I get:

***ERROR:  parseNewBlockData did not get enough data...
Adding new block data to memory pool failed!Block data did not extend the main chain!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It starts up fine after that. Nothing is lost. This has happened a couple times, so I thought you should know

ScarecrowMagick

Interesting.  I've had one other report of behavior like this, but it was isolated to a Windows machine, so I assumed it was a windows thing.  Have not seen it on linux, until now...

There are some very subtle issues with the way Armory tries to leech off the bitcoind/-qt blockchain files.  So far, it's been pretty good, but this bothers me a bit (seg faults are always concerning).

Given that I can't reproduce it, I might just re-work the blockchain utilities.  I know that if Armory manages its own copy of the blockchain, and Armory has full control of it, there's a lot less that can go wrong.  It's something I wanted to do eventually, anyway.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 10:49:48 PM

Haha, don't worry.  I didn't interpret it as pushy or anything of the sort.  I really want to spend time on Armory, I just haven't had any period of uninterrupted time to dive into anything big (like changing blockchain utilities again).  However, this network logging thing won't require a lot of attention span, and I will have no problem doing it.  After all, I really want to know what's going on, too.

This excessive work thing is rare for me.  In 6 years I've worked here, I've only worked overtime 2 or 3 times, and never this much.  So this is non-standard, but it's important so I'm putting up with it this one time.   Hell, if I wasn't working, I'd probably be doing Armory 60 hours per week.  My brain is fine with it as long as it's intellectually stimulating Smiley

So, if you don't hear from me, remind me later next week.  If you do hear from me, it's not because you coerced me.  It's because I wanted to.  No guilt trips, please.

Okay great. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same line as misunderstandings do happen in text only communication without intonation. Good luck and let me know if you need me.

How delightful -- my Win7 development machine/VM just got corrupted.  One too many power-outages has somehow led to system files getting corrupted and random things starting to misbehave Sad  It takes 20 minutes to try to fix sectors on boot, and now all these programs started crashing and asking for me to reinstall.  Including Visual Studio.  Ugh...

On the upside, I finished creating a "networklog" branch and put in the network logging I needed for you.  However, I can't create a Windows binary for it without creating a new Windows VM.  Setting up a new dev VM is likely to take some time.  

My WinXP 32-bit system still works, but not 64-bit.  I assume you are running 64-bit OS...? 

What luck!

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 03:43:59 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 04:37:52 AM by etotheipi

IMPORTANT -- Help Test!

I originally split Armory for Windows in 32-bit and 64-bit, because I needed it to be a 64-bit application for the memory management (and the 32-bit app was offline-only).  But, since version 0.81, the 32-bit version now has the same functionality.  And I just realized it can be installed and runs fine on 64-bit Windows!  

If this is the case, it will further simplify my build & distribution process (only one .msi file to make!).  I'm getting more excited about this than I should... but anything that makes distribution easier is beneficial for everyone (creating the .msi files takes a bit of effort, so only doing it once would be great).  

If you are reading this and using the 64-bit version, please consider installing the 32-bit version and switching to that as a way of helping me test.  To me, it looks like it works, but there's a lot of subtle problems I can't reproduce, myself.  

I can't think of a reason (anymore) that Armory needs to be a 64-bit application.  Perhaps it runs slower in 32-bits?  Help me find out!  Or give me reasons I should maintain two different versions.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:15:51 AM

i was getting this error in an older version (can't remember which one), so I decided to upgrade to the latest, but still get the same error on startup:

Quote from: 0.82.2-alpha win64
(ERROR) armoryengine.pyc:479 - Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 2599, in <module>
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 224, in __init__
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 1540, in populateLedgerComboBox
TypeError: QComboBox.setCurrentIndex(int): argument 1 has unexpected type 'str'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 2599, in <module>
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 224, in __init__
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 1540, in populateLedgerComboBox
TypeError: QComboBox.setCurrentIndex(int): argument 1 has unexpected type 'str'

so, i can't get any further than the splash logo, then it dies.

edit: okay so i'm going to try the win32 version.

edit 2: before trying the win32 version, i just deleted a few things out of the appdata folder such as mempool.bin and settings file, and it worked.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:15:14 AM

How delightful -- my Win7 development machine/VM just got corrupted.  One too many power-outages has somehow led to system files getting corrupted and random things starting to misbehave Sad  It takes 20 minutes to try to fix sectors on boot, and now all these programs started crashing and asking for me to reinstall.  Including Visual Studio.  Ugh...

On the upside, I finished creating a "networklog" branch and put in the network logging I needed for you.  However, I can't create a Windows binary for it without creating a new Windows VM.  Setting up a new dev VM is likely to take some time.  

My WinXP 32-bit system still works, but not 64-bit.  I assume you are running 64-bit OS...? 

What luck!

I do indeed run Windows 7 64 bit. Bummer, setting up a system is time I always feel is just wasted (and not very intellectually stimulating Wink)

Why do you need a specialized dev environment for each of the two versions anyway? Isn't there a cross compiler available?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:44:57 AM

Ever since you added the version check Armory is always losing the connection to the bitcoin client.
It can't ever hold it for a couple minutes straight.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 01:10:03 PM

I do indeed run Windows 7 64 bit. Bummer, setting up a system is time I always feel is just wasted (and not very intellectually stimulating Wink)

Why do you need a specialized dev environment for each of the two versions anyway? Isn't there a cross compiler available?

The compiling is only half of it.  I can't compile the 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine without have the supporting libraries installed as 32-bit (such as python).  If I install those packages as 32-bits, everything breaks, or weird things start happening.  I'm sure I could do it, but I have tried in the past and I could not resolve it in a timely manner.  A second VM seemed easier.

The other half (which wouldn't benefit from cross-compiling) is the process for creating the installer.  The program has to be setup for each new version, and for whatever reason the executable always comes out without an icon, so I have to modify it (using Resource Hacker).  It's not terrible, but if you consider that I do it about 5 times per night (per OS) when tweaking, testing, updating and trying to get out a release, it's pretty annoying.

Ever since you added the version check Armory is always losing the connection to the bitcoin client.
It can't ever hold it for a couple minutes straight.

Strange.  Does this happen with 0.81 also?  0.82.1?  Can you send me a log file?  Just like for wachtwood, I will release a temporary version just for logging network messages (or maybe it will become part of the release, hmm).  Hopefully that will help answer some questions about networking issues.

i was getting this error in an older version (can't remember which one), so I decided to upgrade to the latest, but still get the same error on startup:
edit 2: before trying the win32 version, i just deleted a few things out of the appdata folder such as mempool.bin and settings file, and it worked.

I don't suppose you have the settings file in your recycle bin or something, do you?  I just looked at how that error is triggered, and it's by the "LastFilterState" variable in the settings file being a string (supposed to be an integer).  I can see why deleting that file fixed it, but I'm curious what it got set to that caused the problem.  I can't see in the code how it could get set to non-integer value.

Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: