Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 08:12:18 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 482147 times)
oakpacific

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:47:19 AM

It seems to return the correct value for platform.system() at least.

Code:
pi@raspberrypi ~/BitcoinArmory $ python -i
Python 2.7.3 (default, Jan 13 2013, 11:20:46)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import platform
>>> print platform.system()
Linux
>>> platform.processor()
''

And putting in the "raise" as you say makes Armory start properly. Yay!

How is the speed? Acceptable I hope?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:53:09 PM

My Armory just stopped working. It crashes when trying to sync up. Before I start messing around with things, I would like which direction to go in? I do have bitcoin in my wallet. Please advise.

Faulting application name: Armory.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x49180193
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6871, time stamp: 0x4fee6073
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0005beae
Faulting process id: 0x1f84
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce3cad710e53a1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\Armory Bitcoin Client\Armory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6871_none_50944e7cbcb706e5\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: 0edbb14d-a8a1-11e2-be93-180373e36d96
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Did you uninstall the previous version before installing the new one?  At least, you can rerun the installer and choose "Repair Installation".

Ok, my problem has been resolved per your instructions. I had to perform an uninstall first and not just a reinstall.  I also like the way it loads the bitcoind daemon for me now. I don't have to run a separate program. Thanks.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 03:12:14 PM

Honestly, I was hoping to just eventually release an offline bundle for the RPi.  But I'm not sure if I can support that at this time.  I finally have an RPi, but I haven't really had time to set it up.  Maybe someone could help me figure out what is needed for the offline bundle...?  (and a good way to set it up, like what image to install, etc)
Let me know if you want an image of my setup. It's just Raspbian (the official Raspberry Pi distro) with Armory installed. Nothing else. That way you can just dd the image to an SD card and pop it in to test it.

Code:
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> import platform
Linux
>>> platform.processor()
''

It's acceptable. Although there are some very long delays with 100% CPU usage. Especially when opening the "Print Paper Wallet" dialog. It takes like 15 seconds with 100% CPU usage. Anything related to viewing the root private key and chain code takes a long time (with 100% CPU usage).

Building Armory itself took at least three hours. But this was mainly caused by having to use a swap file, because it ran out of memory.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 04:15:13 PM

Honestly, I was hoping to just eventually release an offline bundle for the RPi.  But I'm not sure if I can support that at this time.  I finally have an RPi, but I haven't really had time to set it up.  Maybe someone could help me figure out what is needed for the offline bundle...?  (and a good way to set it up, like what image to install, etc)
Let me know if you want an image of my setup. It's just Raspbian (the official Raspberry Pi distro) with Armory installed. Nothing else. That way you can just dd the image to an SD card and pop it in to test it.

Code:
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> import platform
Linux
>>> platform.processor()
''

It's acceptable. Although there are some very long delays with 100% CPU usage. Especially when opening the "Print Paper Wallet" dialog. It takes like 15 seconds with 100% CPU usage. Anything related to viewing the root private key and chain code takes a long time (with 100% CPU usage).

Building Armory itself took at least three hours. But this was mainly caused by having to use a swap file, because it ran out of memory.

Ack, that's quite a long compile time!  I didn't realize that it couldn't be compiled in the available RPi RAM.  You have A or B pi?   I guess I'll download the Raspbian image and take a shot at it... in a little bit.  At the moment, I gotta focus on some other development activities. 

For the unlocking, there's not much you can do about it.  Armory does a bunch of verification checks when unlocking to make sure there's no corruption.  Although it takes a while, it's saved my bacon in a couple instances (and for other users) when it did actually find something was corrupted.  This will prevent you from using a corrupted wallet and potentially using addresses that were based on a faulty chain calculation. The downside is that there's a lot of EC-multiply operations being performed when you unlock, which does take a while, especially on slower HW.

I suppose you could run with a much smaller keypool on the offline computer, since it doesn't need any lookahead  (because it's not looking anywhere for transactions).  That would speed up unlocking in the short-term.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 04:51:55 PM

Ack, that's quite a long compile time!  I didn't realize that it couldn't be compiled in the available RPi RAM.  You have A or B pi?   I guess I'll download the Raspbian image and take a shot at it... in a little bit.  At the moment, I gotta focus on some other development activities.
This was on rev A, so 256 MB RAM. I'm not sure if the rev B with 512 MB can do it without a swap file, that 2.3 MB CppBlockUtils_wrap.cxx isn't exactly light weight Smiley. cryptopp's dll.o also took quite a long time to build, compared to the previous files, so I suspect it started swapping there already. I'm sure if the Pi had 1 GB of RAM that compilation wouldn't take more than 10-ish times as long as on an x86 system.

For the unlocking, there's not much you can do about it.  Armory does a bunch of verification checks when unlocking to make sure there's no corruption.  Although it takes a while, it's saved my bacon in a couple instances (and for other users) when it did actually find something was corrupted.  This will prevent you from using a corrupted wallet and potentially using addresses that were based on a faulty chain calculation. The downside is that there's a lot of EC-multiply operations being performed when you unlock, which does take a while, especially on slower HW.

I suppose you could run with a much smaller keypool on the offline computer, since it doesn't need any lookahead  (because it's not looking anywhere for transactions).  That would speed up unlocking in the short-term.
It's not really a problem per se, since I can see that CPU usage is high (it's shown in the bottom right corner on the panel), so I know it's working. But it can become a usability problem if someone isn't aware that this is what is happening.

You could just show the dialog immediately, without any content, and that "loading" animation showing, and do the calculations in the background, but yeah, I understand if that's not your highest priority right now.
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:31:35 PM

I would highly recommend following the guide here to get a cross-compiler set up for the Pi. Compiling on the Pi itself seems like a form of masochism.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 06:33:52 PM

I would highly recommend following the guide here to get a cross-compiler set up for the Pi. Compiling on the Pi itself seems like a form of masochism.

Oh yeah, I actually started doing that in a VM a month ago and totally forgot.  I probably don't even have it anymore.  I'll take another shot at it...  That would certainly make the release process easier, to not have to outsource the compiling to a separate physical device.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
QuantumFoam

Activity: 130

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:32:01 AM

I've been trying to test the cold wallet functionality with a small 0.01 btc transfer, but it keeps not allowing me to send btc to the cold wallet without a fee. I thought if I waited a few days it would work since then there'd be over 120 confirmations on my recently transferred BTC, but it still isn't working. I tried up to 0.06 btc, but it's still not allowing without the transaction fee. The regular bitcoin client allowed me to send both 0.01 btc and 0.05 btc to my armory wallet without any fees. Not sure what the issue is?
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 01:18:17 AM

I can't seem to get the new version of Armory to work.  I just downloaded .88-1 and it sits at Synchronizing with Network 99% 0 blocks forever.  Occasionally bitcoind will crash.

Armory was working fine prior to upgrading. 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 01:19:40 AM

I can't seem to get the new version of Armory to work.  I just downloaded .88-1 and it sits at Synchronizing with Network 99% 0 blocks forever.  Occasionally bitcoind will crash.

Log file?

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 06:38:39 PM

I've been trying to test the cold wallet functionality with a small 0.01 btc transfer, but it keeps not allowing me to send btc to the cold wallet without a fee. I thought if I waited a few days it would work since then there'd be over 120 confirmations on my recently transferred BTC, but it still isn't working. I tried up to 0.06 btc, but it's still not allowing without the transaction fee. The regular bitcoin client allowed me to send both 0.01 btc and 0.05 btc to my armory wallet without any fees. Not sure what the issue is?

It's not the output amount that is the problem (unless it is less than 0.01), it's the age of the coin(s) being spent.  It is an unfortuante that this is so inconsistent and confusing.  But it's not a problem with Armory, it's just the way the network works, and you don't necessarily have control over when you have to pay a fee.  Luckily, the fee only 0.0005 which is about $0.07.

I don't have any recommendation for you, other than you might just have to pay the fee Sad

QuantumFoam

Activity: 130

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:25:27 PM

Yea, it is confusing since I sent from my bitcoin-qt wallet and it worked fine without wanting a fee. I figure those coins I sent would be pretty old but apparently they weren't. I guess I'll wait a bit more to see if it works, and if it doesn't, eat the 7 cents, heh.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:29:09 PM

Yea, it is confusing since I sent from my bitcoin-qt wallet and it worked fine without wanting a fee. I figure those coins I sent would be pretty old but apparently they weren't. I guess I'll wait a bit more to see if it works, and if it doesn't, eat the 7 cents, heh.

Those coins become "new" the moment you use them.  So they left your Bitcoin-Qt wallet as old, no-fee-required coins, but they entered your Armory wallet as young coins.  If you sent 0.1 BTC, you're going to have wait 10 days for those coins to mature (1 BTC matures in 1 day).  The fees were supposed to be insignificant in the short-term, only to discourge people spamming the network.  But the price rise has made not entirely negligible anymore.  But $0.07 still isn't so bad compared to the alternatives.

There's been a lot of discussion about how to improve the fee logic to be adaptable to... life Smiley

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:40:26 PM

Log file?

Can I send it to you privately?  If so, where?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:49:36 PM

I can't seem to get the new version of Armory to work.  I just downloaded .88-1 and it sits at Synchronizing with Network 99% 0 blocks forever.  Occasionally bitcoind will crash.

Log file?

Can I send it to you privately?  If so, where?

Send it to my screename, at gmail dot com.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:54:07 PM

Sent

visdude

Activity: 670

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:22:24 AM

Is it also necessary or a good idea to keep the offline Armory up to date when new releases/versions are available?
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:36:47 PM

Is it also necessary or a good idea to keep the offline Armory up to date when new releases/versions are available?

I haven't updated mine in a while. I don't think it's really necessary unless there are bugs fixed or features added, but most often the changes seem to be in the online functionality.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:39:47 PM

I haven't updated mine in a while. I don't think it's really necessary unless there are bugs fixed or features added, but most often the changes seem to be in the online GUI.

Offline Armory rarely needs to be updated, unless there's some interface improvements that you prefer (which 0.88 did have).  But it's rarely worth the trouble.  Even though version 0.61 is freakin' ancient, it would still work as the offline version, because the protocol for exchanging transactions to sign hasn't changed. 

Only when I finish making the new wallets will you have to upgrade, and only if you use the new wallets.  Though, at some point I might deprecate BIP 10, thus eventually requiring you update the offline computer to be able to read the new *.unsigned.tx files.

visdude

Activity: 670

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:15:47 PM

I haven't updated mine in a while. I don't think it's really necessary unless there are bugs fixed or features added, but most often the changes seem to be in the online GUI.

Offline Armory rarely needs to be updated, unless there's some interface improvements that you prefer (which 0.88 did have).  But it's rarely worth the trouble.  Even though version 0.61 is freakin' ancient, it would still work as the offline version, because the protocol for exchanging transactions to sign hasn't changed. 

Only when I finish making the new wallets will you have to upgrade, and only if you use the new wallets.  Though, at some point I might deprecate BIP 10, thus eventually requiring you update the offline computer to be able to read the new *.unsigned.tx files.

Will it then be specified that the offline installation must be updated with a particular release/version?  I'm not aware of the "new wallets"; I just started using Armory recently.  What are the key features/improvements of the new wallets compared to the old ones?

BTW, thank you etotheipi and chrisrico for your respective reply.
Pages: « 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.