Bitcoin Forum
December 05, 2016, 08:39:09 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 481810 times)
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 06:22:49 PM

Ahh, the first problem.  I assumed they either don't have bitcoin.conf file (in which case I create it), or I expect to find it and have rpcuser and rpcpassword fields.   I hadn't considered that they have a bitcoin.conf already and do not have rpcuser and rpcpassword.

Now that you posted your RPC conf, I recommend you delete and let Armory create a new one for you (with a new randomly generated password).  You can add your extra lines after that...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 06:25:04 PM

@prezbo

Ack, I see the problem!  You actually did have the rpcpassword in there... but the password contains '=' signs, which throws off the python reading of the password, assuming that line.split('=')[-1] is the password.  In your case, there's an '=' in the password, so it only reads the last 1/3 and tries to use that as the password.

Okay, good bug.  I'll make a note of that!  Armory creates a 128-bit password for you, in base58, so that wouldn't happen if Armory created the bitcoin.conf file for you.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
prezbo

Activity: 422

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:27:24 PM

@prezbo

Ack, I see the problem!  You actually did have the rpcpassword in there... but the password contains '=' signs, which throws off the python reading of the password, assuming that line.split('=')[-1] is the password.  In your case, there's an '=' in the password, so it only reads the last 1/3 and tries to use that as the password.

Okay, good bug.  I'll make a note of that!  Armory creates a 128-bit password for you, in base58, so that wouldn't happen if Armory created the bitcoin.conf file for you.
Yup, I deleted my conf and just let armory make another one, it works perfectly now.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 06:29:30 PM

Yup, I deleted my conf and just let armory make another one, it works perfectly now.

Where did that password come from?  Should I expect other users to have '=' signs in their password?

EDIT: nevermind ... it was a fairly easy update to accommodate that.  Not pushed into the latest testing version yet, but it will be.

prezbo

Activity: 422

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:17:42 AM

Where did that password come from?  Should I expect other users to have '=' signs in their password?

EDIT: nevermind ... it was a fairly easy update to accommodate that.  Not pushed into the latest testing version yet, but it will be.
It was randomly generated, across all characters, I think - it was a long time ago. I missed the "=", otherwise I wouldn't use it, but I guess it doesn't hurt if it's not a problem it parsing it in a way that it's accepted.

Anyway, I tired both letting armory handle things and using a standalone bitcoinqt, it has been working perfectly fine for me.
oakpacific

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 11:08:18 AM

A bit off-topic, etotheipi, I am fairly sure your software is becoming the basis of a potentially multi-billion dollars industry--bitcoin cold storage, consider the recent price. Cool

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:29:13 PM

A bit off-topic, etotheipi, I am fairly sure your software is becoming the basis of a potentially multi-billion dollars industry--bitcoin cold storage, consider the recent price. Cool

Yeah... I need to monetize it in some way Smiley  I've actually got some ideas that I think will not "corrupt" it.  Some more on that soon...

Check it out!

Finally got signing Windows installers working on my offline computer.  The only problem is that <randomstring>.msi... not sure what's causing that.  But the signature is valid.  If someone knows how to avoid that <randomstring> thing... let me know!

I updated the link on the previous update with the signed version.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:43:17 PM

Yeah... I need to monetize it in some way Smiley  I've actually got some ideas that I think will not "corrupt" it.  Some more on that soon...
You might start with one of these:

http://redonate.net/
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:45:18 PM

Unfortunately, donations have not worked out.  I don't think I can count on that for monetization.  I get about $100/mo in donations.  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it (and I've bought my fiancee a lot of very nice dinners Smiley), but even if that went up 20x, I would have a tough time justifying doing Armory full time...

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:47:24 PM

Unfortunately, donations have not worked out.  I don't think I can count on that for monetization.  I get about $100/mo in donations.  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it (and I've bought my fiancee a lot of very nice dinners Smiley), but even if that went up 20x, I would have a tough time justifying doing Armory full time...

as i've always said, don't be afraid to build add ons or special services or an Android client.  charge for them.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:47:30 PM

It might be worth setting up a recurring option to see what happens, in addition to any other plans you have coming down the pipe.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 05:04:33 PM

Yeah... I need to monetize it in some way Smiley  I've actually got some ideas that I think will not "corrupt" it.  Some more on that soon...

as i've always said, don't be afraid to build add ons or special services or an Android client.  charge for them.

I hate to be the hater, but I don't think he can charge for special addons or services, would depend on the bitcoind's license.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

I hate to be the hater, but I don't think he can charge for special addons or services, would depend on the bitcoind's license.

There's no licensing issues, even if I was distributing bitcoin-qt/bitcoind.  Not only is bitcoin's license permissive, but I'm not even doing that -- the user still gets it themselves.  There's almost never a problem with licensing if you are simply "linking" to the unmodified software.   

The licensing stuff usually kicks in when you make a modified version of their software, and don't want to release the source code for those modifications.  Even if I modified their software, I would be happy to release the modifications.  (but I don't have to do even that, just add attribution to their project/developers)

Winterfrost

Activity: 149

GPG 0FC76C1241E39BF6

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:06:22 PM

I've had the latest testing version running on Windows 7 x64 for the past day or so. The settings worked fine for non-default data directories. I like the progress bar for scanning the blockchain too.

1winteru2GkEyqLGK95WVCHwBBpGRJXW1
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:35:11 PM

I've had the latest testing version running on Windows 7 x64 for the past day or so. The settings worked fine for non-default data directories. I like the progress bar for scanning the blockchain too.

Yay, good news!  To everyone else:  also post if you've had a good experience, not just when it's a bad experience.  All I hear is the bad experiences and I feel like nothing works.  It sounds like there's lots of circumstances where this works, but not all.  Hopefully, I can deduce when it doesn't work, based on the mix of good and bad reports.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 09:11:06 PM

There's no licensing issues, even if I was distributing bitcoin-qt/bitcoind.  Not only is bitcoin's license permissive, but I'm not even doing that -- the user still gets it themselves.  There's almost never a problem with licensing if you are simply "linking" to the unmodified software.   

The licensing stuff usually kicks in when you make a modified version of their software, and don't want to release the source code for those modifications.  Even if I modified their software, I would be happy to release the modifications.  (but I don't have to do even that, just add attribution to their project/developers)

Your software is the best and safest by far without any real competition. You are the main expert. When Bitcoin becomes sufficiently mainstream you will be approached for:

1) Creating customizations (either open source or proprietary)
2) Performing other services (such as coaching and setting up the software)
3) You will likely be offered rather lucrative contracts by business wishing to enter this market (the equivalent of a buy out if Armory was proprietary)

Of course I hope you will not take option 3 and will have time to keep working on Armory (out of my own interest) Wink. But if you monetize on this it is truly deserved as this is a magnificent piece of work. Thanks!

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:23:18 PM

Your software is the best and safest by far without any real competition. You are the main expert. When Bitcoin becomes sufficiently mainstream you will be approached for:

3) You will likely be offered rather lucrative contracts by business wishing to enter this market (the equivalent of a buy out if Armory was proprietary)

Of course I hope you will not take option 3 and will have time to keep working on Armory (out of my own interest) Wink. But if you monetize on this it is truly deserved as this is a magnificent piece of work. Thanks!

+10000000

Thank you for your incredible work, Alan

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 11:29:42 PM

+10000000

Thank you for your incredible work, Alan

Thanks so much guys.  I really appreciate the encouragement.  It's awesome to see so many people so excited about my work.  I am working on some ideas to generate some revenue, and I think I can do so without harming the user experience (hopefully enhance it!).  I'll discuss that more later.  Just know that I'm planning to keep Armory 100% free.  Or at least 98% of it -- I might try to develop some kind super-advanced features, or maybe a corporate add-on that could be sold.  But for everyone else, I want there to be no reason not to use Armory.  Instead, find ways to leverage a wide userbase.    And if Armory makes an impact in the Bitcoin world, it will help me out by fattening my offline wallet Smiley  (both in donations and price).

Finally figured out the code signing problem.  Check out this bling!

kslaughter

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:40:44 AM

Great software, however I just upgraded to version .87 beta on ubuntu 12.04 and bitcoin-qt .8.1 and now when Armory start and
scan the block chain it runs for awhile and then crashes.  I usually fix things myself, but I need to send some bitcoins for payment.
So could you give me a idea of what may be wrong.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:50:02 AM

Great software, however I just upgraded to version .87 beta on ubuntu 12.04 and bitcoin-qt .8.1 and now when Armory start and
scan the block chain it runs for awhile and then crashes.  I usually fix things myself, but I need to send some bitcoins for payment.
So could you give me a idea of what may be wrong.

Does it crash after it finishes scanning?  Or during?  There's been some issues with upgrading to Bitcoin-Qt 0.8 plus ... it has new blockchain files.  Armory 0.87+ should handle it, but sometimes it doesn't play nice.  Most often when I hear of Armory crashing during scanning, it's because the blk files became corrupt.  Which is unfortunate, since it requires redownloading everything...

Can you send me a log file?  You can export it while it's scanning.  Email or PM. 

Also, you might try the newest version of Armory, but you have to build from source -- it's quite simple though:

1.  $ sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil
2.  $ git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
3.  $ cd BitcoinArmory
3a. $ git checkout managesatoshi  #(extra step to access 0.87.9)
4.  $ make
5.  $ python ArmoryQt.py

Not only might it fix your problem (or make it worse!), but the log file contains a LOT more useful information for me.  So if that fails, let me know (you'll have to either let it run bitcoind for you, or open the settings and select that you want to run it yourself).

Pages: « 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.