Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:26:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521678 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:45:18 PM

A bit off-topic, etotheipi, I am fairly sure your software is becoming the basis of a potentially multi-billion dollars industry--bitcoin cold storage, consider the recent price. Cool

Yeah... I need to monetize it in some way Smiley  I've actually got some ideas that I think will not "corrupt" it.  Some more on that soon...
You might start with one of these:

http://redonate.net/

Unfortunately, donations have not worked out.  I don't think I can count on that for monetization.  I get about $100/mo in donations.  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it (and I've bought my fiancee a lot of very nice dinners Smiley), but even if that went up 20x, I would have a tough time justifying doing Armory full time...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:47:24 PM

A bit off-topic, etotheipi, I am fairly sure your software is becoming the basis of a potentially multi-billion dollars industry--bitcoin cold storage, consider the recent price. Cool

Yeah... I need to monetize it in some way Smiley  I've actually got some ideas that I think will not "corrupt" it.  Some more on that soon...

Unfortunately, donations have not worked out.  I don't think I can count on that for monetization.  I get about $100/mo in donations.  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it (and I've bought my fiancee a lot of very nice dinners Smiley), but even if that went up 20x, I would have a tough time justifying doing Armory full time...

as i've always said, don't be afraid to build add ons or special services or an Android client.  charge for them.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:47:30 PM

It might be worth setting up a recurring option to see what happens, in addition to any other plans you have coming down the pipe.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:04:33 PM

Yeah... I need to monetize it in some way Smiley  I've actually got some ideas that I think will not "corrupt" it.  Some more on that soon...

as i've always said, don't be afraid to build add ons or special services or an Android client.  charge for them.

I hate to be the hater, but I don't think he can charge for special addons or services, would depend on the bitcoind's license.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

I hate to be the hater, but I don't think he can charge for special addons or services, would depend on the bitcoind's license.

There's no licensing issues, even if I was distributing bitcoin-qt/bitcoind.  Not only is bitcoin's license permissive, but I'm not even doing that -- the user still gets it themselves.  There's almost never a problem with licensing if you are simply "linking" to the unmodified software.   

The licensing stuff usually kicks in when you make a modified version of their software, and don't want to release the source code for those modifications.  Even if I modified their software, I would be happy to release the modifications.  (but I don't have to do even that, just add attribution to their project/developers)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Winterfrost

Activity: 574
Merit: 135

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:06:22 PM

I've had the latest testing version running on Windows 7 x64 for the past day or so. The settings worked fine for non-default data directories. I like the progress bar for scanning the blockchain too.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:35:11 PM

I've had the latest testing version running on Windows 7 x64 for the past day or so. The settings worked fine for non-default data directories. I like the progress bar for scanning the blockchain too.

Yay, good news!  To everyone else:  also post if you've had a good experience, not just when it's a bad experience.  All I hear is the bad experiences and I feel like nothing works.  It sounds like there's lots of circumstances where this works, but not all.  Hopefully, I can deduce when it doesn't work, based on the mix of good and bad reports.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:11:06 PM

There's no licensing issues, even if I was distributing bitcoin-qt/bitcoind.  Not only is bitcoin's license permissive, but I'm not even doing that -- the user still gets it themselves.  There's almost never a problem with licensing if you are simply "linking" to the unmodified software.   

The licensing stuff usually kicks in when you make a modified version of their software, and don't want to release the source code for those modifications.  Even if I modified their software, I would be happy to release the modifications.  (but I don't have to do even that, just add attribution to their project/developers)

Your software is the best and safest by far without any real competition. You are the main expert. When Bitcoin becomes sufficiently mainstream you will be approached for:

1) Creating customizations (either open source or proprietary)
2) Performing other services (such as coaching and setting up the software)
3) You will likely be offered rather lucrative contracts by business wishing to enter this market (the equivalent of a buy out if Armory was proprietary)

Of course I hope you will not take option 3 and will have time to keep working on Armory (out of my own interest) Wink. But if you monetize on this it is truly deserved as this is a magnificent piece of work. Thanks!
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:23:18 PM

Your software is the best and safest by far without any real competition. You are the main expert. When Bitcoin becomes sufficiently mainstream you will be approached for:

3) You will likely be offered rather lucrative contracts by business wishing to enter this market (the equivalent of a buy out if Armory was proprietary)

Of course I hope you will not take option 3 and will have time to keep working on Armory (out of my own interest) Wink. But if you monetize on this it is truly deserved as this is a magnificent piece of work. Thanks!

+10000000

Thank you for your incredible work, Alan

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 11:29:42 PM

+10000000

Thanks so much guys.  I really appreciate the encouragement.  It's awesome to see so many people so excited about my work.  I am working on some ideas to generate some revenue, and I think I can do so without harming the user experience (hopefully enhance it!).  I'll discuss that more later.  Just know that I'm planning to keep Armory 100% free.  Or at least 98% of it -- I might try to develop some kind super-advanced features, or maybe a corporate add-on that could be sold.  But for everyone else, I want there to be no reason not to use Armory.  Instead, find ways to leverage a wide userbase.    And if Armory makes an impact in the Bitcoin world, it will help me out by fattening my offline wallet Smiley  (both in donations and price).

Finally figured out the code signing problem.  Check out this bling!

kslaughter

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:40:44 AM

Great software, however I just upgraded to version .87 beta on ubuntu 12.04 and bitcoin-qt .8.1 and now when Armory start and
scan the block chain it runs for awhile and then crashes.  I usually fix things myself, but I need to send some bitcoins for payment.
So could you give me a idea of what may be wrong.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:50:02 AM

Great software, however I just upgraded to version .87 beta on ubuntu 12.04 and bitcoin-qt .8.1 and now when Armory start and
scan the block chain it runs for awhile and then crashes.  I usually fix things myself, but I need to send some bitcoins for payment.
So could you give me a idea of what may be wrong.

Does it crash after it finishes scanning?  Or during?  There's been some issues with upgrading to Bitcoin-Qt 0.8 plus ... it has new blockchain files.  Armory 0.87+ should handle it, but sometimes it doesn't play nice.  Most often when I hear of Armory crashing during scanning, it's because the blk files became corrupt.  Which is unfortunate, since it requires redownloading everything...

Can you send me a log file?  You can export it while it's scanning.  Email or PM. 

Also, you might try the newest version of Armory, but you have to build from source -- it's quite simple though:

1.  $ sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential pyqt4-dev-tools swig libqtcore4 libqt4-dev python-qt4 python-dev python-twisted python-psutil
2.  $ git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
3.  $ cd BitcoinArmory
3a. $ git checkout managesatoshi  #(extra step to access 0.87.9)
4.  $ make
5.  $ python ArmoryQt.py

Not only might it fix your problem (or make it worse!), but the log file contains a LOT more useful information for me.  So if that fails, let me know (you'll have to either let it run bitcoind for you, or open the settings and select that you want to run it yourself).

truckingeek

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:15:40 AM

How long does it normally take to process the blockchain on startup? With my (admittedly rather ancient) Athlon x2-64 laptop, it can take upwards of half an hour every.freakin.time I start Armory to scan through the chain, and during that time my CPU usage is pegged on one core.

Is there any way I can reduce this?  Maybe put the blockchain files on a ramdrive or something fancy like that?  Are there plans to reduce this time somehow, or is this really a bug on my end somewhere?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 05:20:23 AM

How long does it normally take to process the blockchain on startup? With my (admittedly rather ancient) Athlon x2-64 laptop, it can take upwards of half an hour every.freakin.time I start Armory to scan through the chain, and during that time my CPU usage is pegged on one core.

Is there any way I can reduce this?  Maybe put the blockchain files on a ramdrive or something fancy like that?  Are there plans to reduce this time somehow, or is this really a bug on my end somewhere?

Not a bug.  Just an ancient design under the hood, derived when the blockchain was like 300 MB.   Not 6 GB.  Don't worry, though, I'll be working on fixing it in the next couple weeks.  I've just been heavily distracted by other things.  But the time has come to finally do it.

On non-ancient computers, it should take like 3-10 minutes.  Not short, but bearable knowing a fix is coming.  If you are low on RAM, I think it has to start swapping, and load time increases by an order of magnitude. 

truckingeek

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:57:31 AM

That's probably what I'm up against...according to top, most of the cpu time is waiting for io, which tends to indicate swappage.  I've only got 4Gb of ram so if the blockchain is 6Gb....yeah that'll do it.

Thanks for the quick reply, looking forward to the update!
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 09:42:08 AM

+10000000

Thanks so much guys.  I really appreciate the encouragement.  It's awesome to see so many people so excited about my work.  I am working on some ideas to generate some revenue, and I think I can do so without harming the user experience (hopefully enhance it!).  I'll discuss that more later.  Just know that I'm planning to keep Armory 100% free.  Or at least 98% of it -- I might try to develop some kind super-advanced features, or maybe a corporate add-on that could be sold.  But for everyone else, I want there to be no reason not to use Armory.  Instead, find ways to leverage a wide userbase.    And if Armory makes an impact in the Bitcoin world, it will help me out by fattening my offline wallet Smiley  (both in donations and price).

Finally figured out the code signing problem.  Check out this bling!

Now that looks sweet! Congrats! :-)

You do a great job with Armory. A very much needed job too, we desperately need more independent Bitcoinclients!

My random thoughts:

Think about approaching the Bitcoin Foundation. You are a lead core developer yourself, not? ;-)
Seriously, I am sure that the satoshi-client devteam very much appreciates and encourages alternative clients too.
I have no insight in their books, but I guess they have pretty large wallets.. with as many corporate and private members they have.

How about selling an Armory-Offline-Wallet-Hardware?
It could/should be a different approach to the small keychain-hardware wallets currently in the making. Targeted at companies (too). With tight integration in Armory, obviously. Hell, a whole Banking/Accounting/Security/Authorization-Ecosystem for companies might evolve around Armory! The marked right now isn't huge, but you would be the first (and only?) one ready when it's starting.

You see I follow the other thread about secure Armory offline wallets closely ;-)

Ente
kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:40:43 PM

I cant change default transaction fee 0.0005(this is reap off when I send 0.01) I try set lower then 0.0005 but armory don't let me do it its bolox....
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 08:46:16 PM

I cant change default transaction fee 0.0005(this is reap off when I send 0.01) I try set lower then 0.0005 but armory don't let me do it its bolox....

Some transactions must have a fee, and that is determined by the network, not Armory.  Armory simply determines whether the network will require a fee, and then tells you you must include it.  Many transactions, especially those over 1 BTC, can usually be sent for 0.0 fee.

Small transactions, using coins that were recently received, almost always requite a fee of 0.0005.  The network does this to prevent people for sending out millions of tiny transactions for free, or moving coins billions of times between two of their own wallets and clogging the network. 

kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:55:51 PM

Some transactions must have a fee, and that is determined by the network, not Armory.  Armory simply determines whether the network will require a fee, and then tells you you must include it.  Many transactions, especially those over 1 BTC, can usually be sent for 0.0 fee.

Small transactions, using coins that were recently received, almost always requite a fee of 0.0005.  The network does this to prevent people for sending out millions of tiny transactions for free, or moving coins billions of times between two of their own wallets and clogging the network. 
Thank you for explanation, look like developer will not get donation any time soon, I know 0.01 bitcoin is not a lot but I dont have much more at the moment to send.
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:36:00 PM

Thank you for explanation, look like developer will not get donation any time soon, I know 0.01 bitcoin is not a lot but I dont have much more at the moment to send.

You could send a donation of 0.0095 bitcoin with a 0.0005 bitcoin fee.
Pages: « 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: