Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:24:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 160 »
  Print  
Author Topic: New Official AMT Thread  (Read 149437 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sirminesalot

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:01:39 AM

Wait!  Are you saying that you will be providing technical support for AMT units?

Has AMT contracted you to provide technical support?  Are you also doing re-work on damaged boards?

Will you provide help on missing parts?  I got a missing back plane.

My assistance to customers, will be technical support. (Though limited by several things.)

I am not personally reworking the boards myself, just identifying the point of failures, and marking the components to be reworked.

If I can, I will try to assist with locating or obtaining missing parts. (Once I have settled-in. I just got out of the hospital a few days ago, and have to finalize the "informal contract", with Josh.)

You see how AMT has shipped these units. You see all the problems. You see how they talk to customers and not offer refunds.

And yet you offer to work for them for free (AGAIN).

I don't understand you.

What are you, unemployed or desperate for their approval? Trying to help them out, and thinking by doing so they will treat you special and give you a newly working 2.4TH? I just don't get it. Don't you value your free time? Do you think you need to offer free help to them since they are holding your miner/$$$ hostage?

Either way, you are just complicating things by becoming their technical support. They should be actively refunding/engaging with customers, but now they have you to do that for them. At the very least, an AMT representative should be doing technical support so that the responsibility is in their court. .

PEOPLE: These miners aren't some kind of COMMUNITY DRIVEN or OPEN SOURCE DEVICE - this was real money spent to a "legitimate company" for an actual working product. The fact that many need to resort to this testing and troubleshooting via this forums because 99% of these miners aren't working properly, means that AMT never delivered and this was all essentially a failure.  Now another forum member (ISAWHIM) that has yet to even receive his miner, is supposed to offer up technical support for a product he's had no hands on or build involvement with? This is nothing more than a circus at this point.

ISAWHIM, pursue a refund and stay out of AMT's shit storm. They need to dig themselves out of this one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
opieum2

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:25:10 AM

my boards work and have blue heatsinks, my friend tims has copper heatsinks/orange and his dont. i also noticed on my boards on bottom right (fan side) it says Rev 3.0A so not sure if that has anything to do with it either

Okay,  so far we have evidence that the boards with the blue heat sinks work.

Does anyone here have a board with orange heat sinks that work?

I checked the boards,  no difference between the orange and blue,  just the heatsinks are different.

Confirmed here, my boards are Rev 3.0A.

Well, still waiting for my backplane to be able to test out the boards.

Mine work just fine. I have blue ones and black ones. If by orange I assume you mean the copper ones? If so then yes I have those. And they are working just fine.

So, as I understand it, these boards should work assuming that there is adequate power?

AMT sent me a 1500w SilverStone power supply,  do you think that is adequate to drive 5 boards?

They have yet to ship me a back plane, but they promised an extended one and an additional board.   Do you think 1500w is sufficient or do you think I need another one?

Can you tell me what kind of board is attached to the raspberry pi?

I believe they should be. What I think is the issue is that the CPU connector (8pin connector) needs to be modified to work for a 6pin. This requires knowing the pinouts and setting up a 6pin. This requires a bit of sodering or at the very least knowing how to get the cables into the 6pin PCIe adapter. HOW its done is crucial or you could fry that card, I would need to look up documentation on how that works. But its similar to how it was done for the Lepa assuming its a standard which I presume would be the case.

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
opieum2

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:31:37 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2014, 01:47:51 AM by opieum2

Wait!  Are you saying that you will be providing technical support for AMT units?

Has AMT contracted you to provide technical support?  Are you also doing re-work on damaged boards?

Will you provide help on missing parts?  I got a missing back plane.

My assistance to customers, will be technical support. (Though limited by several things.)

I am not personally reworking the boards myself, just identifying the point of failures, and marking the components to be reworked.

If I can, I will try to assist with locating or obtaining missing parts. (Once I have settled-in. I just got out of the hospital a few days ago, and have to finalize the "informal contract", with Josh.)

You see how AMT has shipped these units. You see all the problems. You see how they talk to customers and not offer refunds.

And yet you offer to work for them for free (AGAIN).

I don't understand you.

What are you, unemployed or desperate for their approval? Trying to help them out, and thinking by doing so they will treat you special and give you a newly working 2.4TH? I just don't get it. Don't you value your free time? Do you think you need to offer free help to them since they are holding your miner/$$$ hostage?

Either way, you are just complicating things by becoming their technical support. They should be actively refunding/engaging with customers, but now they have you to do that for them. At the very least, an AMT representative should be doing technical support so that the responsibility is in their court. .

PEOPLE: These miners aren't some kind of COMMUNITY DRIVEN or OPEN SOURCE DEVICE - this was real money spent to a "legitimate company" for an actual working product. The fact that many need to resort to this testing and troubleshooting via this forums because 99% of these miners aren't working properly, means that AMT never delivered and this was all essentially a failure.  Now another forum member (ISAWHIM) that has yet to even receive his miner, is supposed to offer up technical support for a product he's had no hands on or build involvement with? This is nothing more than a circus at this point.

ISAWHIM, pursue a refund and stay out of AMT's shit storm. They need to dig themselves out of this one.

This is no longer about AMT. Its about those with miners in some kind of state where they can be made workable again. Like I said to Loshia if you have something to contribute to this discussion then do so otherwise just let us do our thing. ISAWHIM is helping out regardless. We don't know the nature of the arrangement with Josh. All everyone wants is working miners. I got 2 working miners and am working through the challenges. Hopefully I can provide some useful info. Is this doing their job for them? maybe but at the end its benefiting the guys who were in the same boat. So if you have something to add to help the customers out besides trash talking AMT then please do so. Otherwise just stay out of the way. The thread has been progressing fine without you and loshia chiming in with your drumbeat. We all know what we need to do if this doesnt work. Thats been made abundantly clear. BUT I think alot of people would rather have hardware to hash with than have to deal with a lawsuit where they may not recover anything or little.

At the end of the day those with hardware have no gain if they wait on a lawsuit that could go nowhere. That is even more of a crapshoot right now. The only people who will definitely benefit are lawyers. In the meantime the money will still be tied up until people get refunds or whatever. So the best bet now is for those with hardware to make it work. Hopefully documenting things here will make it easier to make that happen for everyone. Might not be open source (well kinda RasberryPI stuff is). But its possible to make it work. Only things people should really be concerned with especially with the DIY kits is making sure all the parts work as designed. I took my precautions and caught a few things that could have caused me problems.

Pre-power on check:
a. Check that there is no thermal grease smeared around, apparently when mounting the larger heatsinks the artic silver gets squeezed through the holes in the board. I ran into this on one board. Keep an eye for this. I removed it all with alcohol and used a bladed make up brush.
b. check that all the heatsinks are on well. That will be obvious to see.
c. Make sure you have a 20A circuit or you will blow the circuit on a 15A (easy to check if your breaker box has everything labeled)
d. cooling...have plenty of it. you are going to need it. 

freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:38:39 AM

It became a community project, as soon as the kits and miners made it to customers hands, now we will cherry them out...

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:45:51 AM

+2 to both opie & freddy ^^ I'll find a source for the pin extraction tool for the PCIe/CPU connectors. Would eliminate the whole splicing thing. Odds are Mouser since they carry the connectors & headers, Molex Mini-fit Jr series.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
freddyfarnsworth

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:49:24 AM

+2 to both opie & freddy ^^ I'll find a source for the pin extraction tool for the PCIe/CPU connectors. Would eliminate the whole splicing thing.

Get the spring loaded tube, it pops em right out, or at least with the least issues Smiley
Some look like ninga stars, with different size tubes all way around - multitool - snapon had em long ago.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:54:35 AM

opieum2 - any chance on finding what they are using the 24-pin mobo connector for?  The using the +5v and/or +3.3v feeds? Do they at least look at the POWER_OK line?

I'm still thinking of using a server supply with POL regulators fed from the 12v buss down to +5 or whatever. Will need to chop PCIe extender cables to tie to the buss bars of course.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
opieum2

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:08:04 AM

opieum2 - any chance on finding what they are using the 24-pin mobo connector for?  The using the +5v and/or +3.3v feeds? Do they at least look at the POWER_OK line?

I'm still thinking of using a server supply with POL regulators fed from the 12v buss down to +5 or whatever. Will need to chop PCIe extender cables to tie to the buss bars of course.

The 24pin is still being used for the RasberryPi. On the Lepa the 24pin cable connections are shared with the CPU connector (8pin CPU power MB-20) I was looking online for an adapter.

Basically if you look at the lepa diagram freddy posted the MB/CPU portion and the connection below it are a split cable. I was online looking for an adapter as it was implied there could be one out there. But I had no luck finding one. I will bite the bullet and do the modification manually. I did it on one PSU but was hoping not to do it on the other.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:21:13 AM

The size looks rather like the 20 pin AT connector. Hmm. Seen a lot of PSU mobo connectors that have a block of 4 that can be removed, wonder if those cables can be used...

freddyfarnsworth

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:52:40 AM

The 24pin is still being used for the RasberryPi. On the Lepa the 24pin cable connections are shared with the CPU connector (8pin CPU power MB-20) I was looking online for an adapter.

Basically if you look at the lepa diagram freddy posted the MB/CPU portion and the connection below it are a split cable. I was online looking for an adapter as it was implied there could be one out there. But I had no luck finding one. I will bite the bullet and do the modification manually. I did it on one PSU but was hoping not to do it on the other.

I might not cut the cable, I would sacrifice the 8pin MB connector (cut the connectors out) and add the wires/lugs to a new PCIE 6pin connector.
Can always buy new blank connectors.  Disassemble tool may be harder to find.

Most Mboards only need one anaway that P/S has 2 8pin connectors.

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 03:22:25 AM

So are we supposed to send you the bad boards?

No, They need to be sent to AMT, for replacement. AMT will be sending me "some" of the boards that they know are having issues in the initial testing phase. Your replacement boards should be from the batches that have passed 100%, following an extended test. (I would assume that is how they are going to handle replacements, like Dell does... I had my share of fighting with Dell, once they consumed AlienWare. Though, in all honesty, those components didn't start to fail, until a few months into operation. But when they failed, they were replaced with 100% double-tested replacements.)

Dell now has a bad habit of just sending untested units, beyond boot-posting, and then just repairing the ones that fail in peoples hands. Seems it is cheaper than actually testing every single component and assembled unit.

This situation is a little different, because of the isolated issues that just don't show until after shipping, and after they passed the initial tests.
opieum2

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 03:38:59 AM

I might not cut the cable, I would sacrifice the 8pin MB connector (cut the connectors out) and add the wires/lugs to a new PCIE 6pin connector.

Pulled this for reference use: http://www.moddiy.com/pages/Power-Supply-Connectors-%26-Pinouts.html

I also made this page into a word doc for reference. Just in case the link goes down. Very handy for those not familiar with the pinouts of a PSU.

opieum2

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:03:27 AM

The CPU connector is not in use for this setup so its pretty useless to even use here though yea cutting the cable is not a great idea lol, I would prefer to just swap the leads in from each other and maybe just wrap up the remaining ones somehow to avoid issues. Besides got the extra ones that can be used in the PCIe rails that are not used in Zefir's post. But yea removal is a bitch here. Back to work as I am still working on putting one miner through its paces. I will be getting the other one online once I have

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:06:46 AM

Welp, ifin yer gonna do that, here are the official design specs that all ATX PSU's are supposed to follow. We're talking a-z here...
http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

Also something to keep in mind is that there is a limit to the power any single output is supposed to be allowed to provide. Quote:  The maximum short-circuit energy in any output shall not exceed 240 VA, per IEC 60950 requirements.

opieum2

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:21:48 AM

Welp, ifin yer gonna do that, here are the official design specs that all ATX PSU's are supposed to follow. We're talking a-z here...
http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

Also something to keep in mind is that there is a limit to the power any single output is supposed to be allowed to provide. Quote:  The maximum short-circuit energy in any output shall not exceed 240 VA, per IEC 60950 requirements.

Cool thanks the document is helpful to just keep a nice comprehensive guide on all this for future use. I like to hardcopy stuff sometimes as well since pages often go down and the info can get lost.

Well thats not a problem here. This is why some people have had success with the 2x PSU setups. The idea is the rail normally used for the CPU in this case is not needed since the motherboard is powered by the 1st 12V rail (12V1) the CPU power if I were using some high end cpu like an intel or AMD would be used by the 12V2 rail (which is the one I am using to power the 5th card). On the LEPA rails 12V3 and 12V5 are shared for PCIe/Additional CPU use. 12V4 and 12V6 are shared between PCIe and the 3.3V Molex connections (sata/molex/FDD connections). Keep in mind the labeling on them.

12V1 Rail 1
12V2 Rail 2

and so on. I believe this labeling is standard on most if not all PSUs. So its one way for those not aware to quickly address this. Now anyone have a simple way to remove the leads from the PCIe/CPU molex connectors? Im sorta brute forcing it which seems to work but its a bit labor intensive. If there is a tool (never really had to do this before) that can do this easier it would be good. For putting in the cables I am sure there are crimpers and such. I will track one down I am sure I can get that easy enough. Just dont want to brute force it if I have to do this again

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:37:25 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2014, 04:48:12 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

I'd check Mouser. They sell the connectors/pins so proly sell the extractor. On Monday I'll see if the extractor I have for AMP circular connectors works. Pins look the same size. If you have some brass tubing that just fits over the pins would do the same thing. Just need to push the fingers in.

As for crimps, use the same good ol' AMP terminal crimper that is used for all the different DB-xx connector pins.

Oh, the Formfactors link for all psu's is http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:25:13 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2014, 08:58:01 AM by ISAWHIM

I'd check Mouser. They sell the connectors/pins so proly sell the extractor. On Monday I'll see if the extractor I have for AMP circular connectors works. Pins look the same size. If you have some brass tubing that just fits over the pins would do the same thing. Just need to push the fingers in.

As for crimps, use the same good ol' AMP terminal crimper that is used for all the different DB-xx connector pins.

Oh, the Formfactors link for all psu's is http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

You can make an extractor from a candy tin, using scissors. (Had to do that a while ago.)

Make it look like this -<|>- and then fold it at the thick part "|", so it looks like tweezers. (If you have the patience, you can wrap it around a small nail, into a tube.)

The tool is much easier to use, but this will get the job done, if you are in a pinch. (Altoids tins have a nice flat bottom, and just rigid enough to force the tab out of the way, for extraction. Just don't forget to bend the tab out a little, before replacing it, so it does not push back out again.)

Oh, and wide staples work too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5_58o0WaTM
mellorbo

Activity: 620

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 10:56:07 AM

does anybody know what power the boards use? i dont have a killawatt meter atm and was just curious
mrpark

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:45:56 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2014, 12:57:36 PM by mrpark

AMT you did not pick up my miner, I am pretty sure you know I am very upset by all the emails I have been sending. I am a director of technology and an electronics engineer, I am someone who can explain anything in regards to technical matters in simple terms. I would be in your best interest to pick up this miner ASAP. I am getting tired of talking to myself and I am doing all I can to work this out one last time before I begin to persue legal and criminal charges against AMT and it's members.

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik
petermolloy

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:05:08 AM

Is there still a list of orders that shows who's received miners by AMT order number?  I'm #1450 so I'm afraid I may never even receive a shipping e-mail.  I know AMT hasn't said much but have they even recognize their miner guarantee still present  on the ir website.  Per website "AMT will receive your order, if the networks hash rate increases to the point where your miner can no longer meet ROI we will upgrade your miner to the next level of AMT miners."   SO will  I be receiving a 2.4 TH miner or even higher?   AMT please respond to one of my e-mails.

Petermolloy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 160 »
  Print  

Jump to: