Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:41:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 [1473] 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667267 times)
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:11:19 AM

any input or thoughts from the XMR camp? Does this mean Eclipse is cryptograhically anonymous?

They seem to have at least tried to fix the one identified flaw in SDC. Whether SDC has other flaws they didn't fix or whether their fix is even correct is not something anyone can answer without spending a lot of time reviewing it all, which probably won't ever happen.

Valid points, I am hoping they will be able to get their 'fix' properly reviewed.
Assuming the fix is indeed correct, would that mean that it is then truly anonymous?
In other words: if recently exposed flaw in SDC anonymity was fixed, does it make SDC as/more anonymous as XMR? or is SDC still inferior to XMR for anonymity?

What about the other 99.999% of SDC, developed by the same people who made a basic math/crypto error, and which no one has ever reviewed?

Shen found that one flaw effectively by accident, while working on something else.

If SDC were comprehensively reviewed, then one could make claims about it. At this point, I would not.

Thank you for your replies, this must mean that the premise behind SDC anonymity must be somewhat sound/reasonable (?) although yet to be reviewed.
If the premise behind SDC anonymity was completely ridiculous or unreasonable there would have been mention of it from somewhere at the least.
I am curious as to what the differences between SDCs proposed anonymity and XMRs anonymity is... I will look into it unless you can point me in the right direction. That would save me much time and be greatly appreciated  Smiley

Smooth can confirm or deny, but I don't think any optimism was intended in his comment above. It doesn't matter how reasonable SDC's "premise" is if the developers are making such fundamental mistakes in the math. The entire SDC chain has been de-anonymized.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bank_sy

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:28:32 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2016, 01:38:51 AM by Bank_sy

any input or thoughts from the XMR camp? Does this mean Eclipse is cryptograhically anonymous?

They seem to have at least tried to fix the one identified flaw in SDC. Whether SDC has other flaws they didn't fix or whether their fix is even correct is not something anyone can answer without spending a lot of time reviewing it all, which probably won't ever happen.

Valid points, I am hoping they will be able to get their 'fix' properly reviewed.
Assuming the fix is indeed correct, would that mean that it is then truly anonymous?
In other words: if recently exposed flaw in SDC anonymity was fixed, does it make SDC as/more anonymous as XMR? or is SDC still inferior to XMR for anonymity?

What about the other 99.999% of SDC, developed by the same people who made a basic math/crypto error, and which no one has ever reviewed?

Shen found that one flaw effectively by accident, while working on something else.

If SDC were comprehensively reviewed, then one could make claims about it. At this point, I would not.

Thank you for your replies, this must mean that the premise behind SDC anonymity must be somewhat sound/reasonable (?) although yet to be reviewed.
If the premise behind SDC anonymity was completely ridiculous or unreasonable there would have been mention of it from somewhere at the least.
I am curious as to what the differences between SDCs proposed anonymity and XMRs anonymity is... I will look into it unless you can point me in the right direction. That would save me much time and be greatly appreciated  Smiley

Smooth can confirm or deny, but I don't think any optimism was intended in his comment above. It doesn't matter how reasonable SDC's "premise" is if the developers are making such fundamental mistakes in the math. The entire SDC chain has been de-anonymized.

I understand that he was not being optimistic but the points he raised had me thinking about whether SDCs anonymity is flawed as a whole or if certain parts of its anonymity is flawed. If the former is true then there is potential, if the later is true then that is that.

Does the same apply for XMR? Is it anonymous because it has not yet been proven otherwise/reviewed or is it anonymous because it is truly anonymous? Could a potential flaw that is discovered down the road lead to XMR being deanonymized as well?

Thank you for your replies, I have recently become more fascinated and interested in the anonymity aspect of cryptocurrency.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:59:19 AM

I am curious as to what the differences between SDCs proposed anonymity and XMRs anonymity is... I will look into it unless you can point me in the right direction. That would save me much time and be greatly appreciated  Smiley

I understand that he was not being optimistic but the points he raised had me thinking about whether SDCs anonymity is flawed as a whole or if certain parts of its anonymity is flawed. If the former is true then there is potential, if the later is true then that is that.

Does the same apply for XMR? Is it anonymous because it has not yet been proven otherwise/reviewed or is it anonymous because it is truly anonymous? Could a potential flaw that is discovered down the road lead to XMR being deanonymized as well?

Thank you for your replies, I have recently become more fascinated and interested in the anonymity aspect of cryptocurrency.

No one can 100% guarantee anything, but Monero's fundamentals have been reviewed by competent people who have said that the original developers were also competent. The core cryptographic code has also been carefully reviewed, with its origins determined in most cases, and its correctness checked multiple times.

Higher level aspects of the anonymity implementation have also been reviewed, various potential weaknesses identified in MRL-0001 and MRL-0004, and improvements implemented. We continue to work hard toward further improvements such as RingCT, which is written up in a detailed paper and is being peer reviewed.

SDC has done none of this. Sorry to be frank in a way that may be perceived as hostile but if I'm honest I can only say that it was and is an amateur effort in my opinion, and someone who forks from it while fixing one flaw is being no less amateurish and irresponsible. You will have to make your own judgement about the quality of Monero's effort.
Bank_sy

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:26:57 AM

No one can 100% guarantee anything, but Monero's fundamentals have been reviewed by competent people who have said that the original developers were also competent. The core cryptographic code has also been carefully reviewed, with its origins determined in most cases, and its correctness checked multiple times.

Higher level aspects of the anonymity implementation have also been reviewed, various potential weaknesses identified in MRL-0001 and MRL-0004, and improvements implemented. We continue to work hard toward further improvements such as RingCT, which is written up in a detailed paper and is being peer reviewed.

SDC has done none of this. Sorry to be frank in a way that may be perceived as hostile but if I'm honest I can only say that it was and is an amateur effort in my opinion, and someone who forks from it while fixing one flaw is being no less amateurish and irresponsible. You will have to make your own judgement about the quality of Monero's effort.

it is reassuring to hear that XMR has been thoroughly reviewed. Did not know that SDC was never seriously reviewed by anyone.
I realize that eclipse is most likely just another coin that will be forgotten within a few months, I was more curious about the validity of SDCs anonymity  Smiley
However if eclipse does indeed fix SDCs flaw, then in reality it is better than SDC (as long as the flaw is present) even if it is newer.
Your replies have made me realize that any developer that is seriously concerned with anonymity would most likely create a XMR clone instead of any btc/shitcoin clone (is this fair to say?).
The only other serious contender in anonymity seems to be zerocash, which I hear will be launched soon.
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:32:45 AM

Sorry to interrupt the debate, but I need a quick answer on something.
I am syncing bitmonerod for the first time, using the University library wifi.
The library closes in a couple of hours.  I need to know how to shut down bitmonerod without losing what I've downloaded.
I am a noob, and need specific instructions.  Like exactly which keys to hit.
I am operating in a terminal window under Ubuntu.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:33:38 AM

it is reassuring to hear that XMR has been thoroughly reviewed. Did not know that SDC was never seriously reviewed by anyone.
I realize that eclipse is most likely just another coin that will be forgotten within a few months, I was more curious about the validity of SDCs anonymity  Smiley
However if eclipse does indeed fix SDCs flaw, then in reality it is better than SDC (as long as the flaw is present) even if it is newer.
Your replies have made me realize that any developer that is seriously concerned with anonymity would most likely create a XMR clone instead of any btc/shitcoin clone (is this fair to say?).
The only other serious contender in anonymity seems to be zerocash, which I hear will be launched soon.

Your statements are reasonable IMO. There is value in a BTC fork because of the maturity and codebase and the ability to merge ongoing BTC development, assuming the developers of a fork actually do that (many don't). But the anonymity portion that is to be built on top of a BTC clone needs to be competently designed, carefully implemented, extensively reviewed, and it needs strong ongoing development unless the initial design and implementation is to be considered a "perfect solution" (which doesn't exist). SDC has not done that.

Zcash is a credible effort with meaningful financial backing and assistance from respected and qualified people (and being built as a BTC fork BTW). Obviously it has its own tradeoffs and the market will decide whether those tradeoffs make sense and if so for which uses cases. I'd certainly put it miles ahead of SDC though.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:34:10 AM

Sorry to interrupt the debate, but I need a quick answer on something.
I am syncing bitmonerod for the first time, using the University library wifi.
The library closes in a couple of hours.  I need to know how to shut down bitmonerod without losing what I've downloaded.
I am a noob, and need specific instructions.  Like exactly which keys to hit.
I am operating in a terminal window under Ubuntu.

Just type exit in the bitmonerod window and it will close the database cleanly so you don't lose anything. You can restart from there and it will continue where it left off.
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:59:44 AM

I highly suggest not using USB risers especially if its a Window OS build and AMD cards.  They don't do well with USB risers.  Use ribbon risers instead.  This is based on my experience with building miners.

what do you mean they don't do well? mine is pretty stable .. you must be referring to performance (hash rate)?

i did a quick google on this...using usb risers will have a slight lower hash rate, using windows OS and AMD cards here and it is a stable setup.

if you are living in hotter climate usb risers is the way...there is a trade off, a few hash rate vs more organized setup and temps (better spacing)

I can only tell you from my experience trying USB risers with different GPU's and Mother Boards over the past three years I have not had luck with them.  Maybe it ws just the motherboards I had didn't play well with the USB risers.  I never encountered a problem with the ribbon risers.  If you have had good success with these then that is good.  I just have not.  I have been able to find longer ribbon risers and they work for me. I do use shorter ribbons where possible though because of voltage drop off over long distances.  The shorter the better (without giving up spacing for heat dissipation)  

I have not had the best of luck with powered ribbon risers either, they don't always play well with each motherboard. Some motherboards have a higher rated bus current than others on the PCI slot. Some do better without powered risers. I have discovered each build is unique depending on the components.  Some trial and error will happen.  Spacing has not been an issue, yeah it might not look as organized but it gets the job done.  Almost all miners I have built have been based on a 6 GPU set up.  A few built for myself most others for friends.

I have my favorite components I like to use now because I know they will work when I build.  I wish I had an extra $1500 to throw at a new build for myself right now.  I'd love to try 6 of the newer AMD 390x's

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
hiddensphinx
Legendary

Activity: 1457
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 08:28:35 AM

correct me if i am wrong

is it possible to see the balance of any monero address on the online explorer  Huh

Take your Bitcoin and Altcoin trading strategy to another level with Trade Santa! - https://tradesanta.com/en/site/set-referral-cookie?referral_id=111843
CrowdWhale

Activity: 799
Merit: 1000

Twitter: @CrowdWhale

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:32:42 AM

I'm really impressed with the maturity of the discourse in this thread. Not something I'm used to seeing on BCT. Could Monero be the home of the best and brightest cryptoheads? Wink

I don't know why I never really looked into Monero before. I've been around longer than it has. From what I've learned this is definitely my candidate for the next #1 currency-focused altcoin. Whoever is unloading all those coins at 200k is going to find out why the market refuses to drop more than 3% no matter what he throws at it. =)

Glad to be here for the long haul. Carry on.

aeoncurrency

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:44:28 AM

I'm really impressed with the maturity of the discourse in this thread. Not something I'm used to seeing on BCT. Could Monero be the home of the best and brightest cryptoheads? Wink

I don't know why I never really looked into Monero before. I've been around longer than it has. From what I've learned this is definitely my candidate for the next #1 currency-focused altcoin. Whoever is unloading all those coins at 200k is going to find out why the market refuses to drop more than 3% no matter what he throws at it. =)

Glad to be here for the long haul. Carry on.

The good news is that you are still an early adopter. Many Monero users here since mid 2014 have a much higher cost basis than newcomers arriving now. With a GUI on the way and emission slowing Monero will be more friendly soon and supply demand may suddenly begin to shift.

Welcome to the community!
CrowdWhale

Activity: 799
Merit: 1000

Twitter: @CrowdWhale

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:49:29 AM

Thanks =)

As a trader full time I was attracted by the obviously good technicals, so perhaps it's good I didn't become enamored too soon by the fundamentals. Wink
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 10:50:46 AM

correct me if i am wrong

is it possible to see the balance of any monero address on the online explorer  Huh

No
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 10:54:02 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2016, 11:07:50 AM by dEBRUYNE

correct me if i am wrong

is it possible to see the balance of any monero address on the online explorer  Huh

No, take this address as example and try to plug it in on moneroblocks.info

Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em

FWIW: It's the donation address of the core-team.

EDIT: Picture that might interested the readers:

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 10:55:20 AM

Thanks =)

As a trader full time I was attracted by the obviously good technicals, so perhaps it's good I didn't become enamored too soon by the fundamentals. Wink

As a trader you might be interested in our speculation thread as well:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.0

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
hiddensphinx
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:09:15 PM

New XMR wallet coming soon  Shocked

https://twitter.com/fluffyponyza/status/704651674170880000

http://www.exodus.io/

Take your Bitcoin and Altcoin trading strategy to another level with Trade Santa! - https://tradesanta.com/en/site/set-referral-cookie?referral_id=111843
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:14:57 PM

Oooo swish looking site

hiddensphinx
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:17:53 PM

Download the early preview today!

http://www.exodus.io/releases/

Video too:

https://vimeo.com/156468628

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:13:15 PM

Video too:

Monero is still coming soon, not yet supported today, right? Is this a full node wallet or some hybrid SPV?

hiddensphinx
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:55:14 PM

Video too:

Monero is still coming soon, not yet supported today, right? Is this a full node wallet or some hybrid SPV?

Did not download any blockchain when I installed on my iMac..worked straight away just like Bitcoin Electrum wallet

Their website say summer 2016 and Monero support  too  Grin

Pages: « 1 ... 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 [1473] 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: