Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:32:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 [731] 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669577 times)
TheCoinFinder
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 08:14:49 AM

If its a timewarp attack, and has just begun... I presume he first has to catch up with the current blockchain with his own private mining pool? Ultimately, I thought checkpoints made that pointless.. so Im not sure what his attack is.

.Deviant.io.                ▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄
             ▄█▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀█▄
           ██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
         ▄█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄
        ▐█░░░▄████████████████▄░░
        █▌░░███▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▌▐█
        █▌░░█████▌  ▐▄▄   ██████░▐█
        ██░░▀██████████████████░▒██
        ▄██▄▄███▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀███▄░▄███▄
     ▄██▓▓▓██▓▓███▀▀▒▒▒▀▀███▓▓██▓▓▓▓██
    ▐█▓▓▓▓█▓██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▀████▓█▓▓▓
    ▀███████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▀█▒▒▒████████▀
      ▀████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄█▀▒▒█▒██▀▒████▀
      ▐█▓█▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██▒▓▓▓▒▀▒▒▒▒▓██▓█▌
      ██▓█▌▒▒▒▒▒▒██▓████▓▒▒▒▓▓▒███▓█▌
      ▐█▓██▒▒▒▒███▀▒▒▒█▌▓▓▓██▀▒██▓█▌
       ██▒█▌▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▌▓██▀▒▒▒▒█▒██
        ██▒██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▀▒▒▒▒▒▒██▒██
         ▀█▓▓██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██▓▓█▀
           ▀██▒▀█████▄█████▀▓██▀
         ▄▄▓▓▓█████▄▄▓▄▄█████▓▓▄▄

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▀▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓        ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓               ▐▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓               ▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓             ▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓▓▄▄         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓         ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀      ▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          ▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▐▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌

░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓²         ` ║▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓              ╢▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓Γ    ▓╥  ╓▓┐    ▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓     ╙`   ╙     ▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓╥   ─,,  ,,─   ╓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓   `▓▓▓▀        ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▌            ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓       ,▄▄▓▓   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▄,▄▄   ▐▓▓▓▓▓   ▀▀ '▀▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▀▓▀▀▀       ▄▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓             ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▀       ▄▄▓▓▌   ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▄▄▄▄   ▓▓▓▓▓▄,▄▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:15:32 AM

BCX says a time warp will show its effects after a few days, does this mean he is currently attacking us?

It certainly means he is currently threatening us. I guess in a sense that is itself an attack.
OrientA

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:18:18 AM

If its a timewarp attack, and has just begun... I presume he first has to catch up with the current blockchain with his own private mining pool? Ultimately, I thought checkpoints made that pointless.. so Im not sure what his attack is.

The network hash rate is 20MH/s. How much does BCX need to accomplish the TimeWarp attack?
OrientA

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:44:56 AM

If you believe him its 20% or 4MH/s

If it is just 4MH/s, then is it easier for BCX to attack BCN or BBY to prove his point?
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 09:19:18 AM

BCX says a time warp will show its effects after a few days, does this mean he is currently attacking us?

It certainly means he is currently threatening us. I guess in a sense that is itself an attack.

so now we are kept in captivity?

I still cannot see bcxs agenda
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:58:21 AM

1 - spread fud
2 - buy XMR
3 - pretend to attack
4 - buy XMR
5 - say that the flaw has been fixed by devs
6 - sell XMR
7 - repeat on an other coin
8 - ??
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:09:31 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2014, 12:22:11 PM by ArticMine

In a temewarp attack the attacking chain has to be built up first in private over a period of time. It is then released in the visible portion of the attack. Every time a checkpoint is added this process of building the attacking chain has to be restarted from scratch again, effectively delaying the visible portion of the attack.

Edit: Complacency while the attacking chain is being built, the non visible portion of the attack, becomrs the biggest enemy of the defence. This quote summarizes this very well.

Yawn.. this isn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be.

Is Monero being attacked or not? If someone is performing a TW attack is there any way to tell?

From my experience with time warps attacks it takes a couple of days before the symptoms start to occur, but when they do....the chaos is sweet.

~BCX~

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
psterryl

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:28:24 PM

In a temewarp attack the attacking chain has to be built up first in private over a period of time. It is then released in the visible portion of the attack. Every time a checkpoint is added this process of building the attacking chain has to be restarted from scratch again, effectively delaying the visible portion of the attack.

Edit: Complacency while the attacking chain is being built, the non visible portion of the attack, becomrs the biggest enemy of the defence. This quote summarizes this very well.

Is Monero being attacked or not? If someone is performing a TW attack is there any way to tell?

From my experience with time warps attacks it takes a couple of days before the symptoms start to occur, but when they do....the chaos is sweet.

~BCX~

So if, by BCX's admission, it takes a couple of days for the timewarp symptoms to occur (presumably while building up the attacking chain), a viable mitigation strategy may be to checkpoint daily. This then results in him having to continually restart the attack before it builds up a long enough chain to go anywhere. Could do it at a random point each day to keep it unpredictable. If I understand the situation correctly.

It also appears less and less likely to me that BCX has a viable private-key compromising attack.
TheCoinFinder
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 12:31:35 PM

~BCX~

So if, by BCX's admission, it takes a couple of days for the timewarp symptoms to occur (presumably while building up the attacking chain), a viable mitigation strategy may be to checkpoint daily. This then results in him having to continually restart the attack before it builds up a long enough chain to go anywhere. Could do it at a random point each day to keep it unpredictable. If I understand the situation correctly.

Any everyday, people would need to download a new wallet? Of course, you could make it so that the wallet ignores any blockchains that reorganise more than X blocks maybe? However, in this case - i'm not even sure if that is the issue here.

.Deviant.io.                ▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄
             ▄█▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀█▄
           ██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
         ▄█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄
        ▐█░░░▄████████████████▄░░
        █▌░░███▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▌▐█
        █▌░░█████▌  ▐▄▄   ██████░▐█
        ██░░▀██████████████████░▒██
        ▄██▄▄███▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀███▄░▄███▄
     ▄██▓▓▓██▓▓███▀▀▒▒▒▀▀███▓▓██▓▓▓▓██
    ▐█▓▓▓▓█▓██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▀████▓█▓▓▓
    ▀███████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▀█▒▒▒████████▀
      ▀████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄█▀▒▒█▒██▀▒████▀
      ▐█▓█▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██▒▓▓▓▒▀▒▒▒▒▓██▓█▌
      ██▓█▌▒▒▒▒▒▒██▓████▓▒▒▒▓▓▒███▓█▌
      ▐█▓██▒▒▒▒███▀▒▒▒█▌▓▓▓██▀▒██▓█▌
       ██▒█▌▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▌▓██▀▒▒▒▒█▒██
        ██▒██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▀▒▒▒▒▒▒██▒██
         ▀█▓▓██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██▓▓█▀
           ▀██▒▀█████▄█████▀▓██▀
         ▄▄▓▓▓█████▄▄▓▄▄█████▓▓▄▄

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▀▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓        ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓               ▐▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓               ▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓             ▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓▓▄▄         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓         ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀      ▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          ▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▐▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌

░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓²         ` ║▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓              ╢▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓Γ    ▓╥  ╓▓┐    ▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓     ╙`   ╙     ▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓╥   ─,,  ,,─   ╓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓   `▓▓▓▀        ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▌            ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓       ,▄▄▓▓   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▄,▄▄   ▐▓▓▓▓▓   ▀▀ '▀▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▀▓▀▀▀       ▄▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓             ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▀       ▄▄▓▓▌   ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▄▄▄▄   ▓▓▓▓▓▄,▄▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

so now we are kept in captivity?

His agenda may be to simply buy low and sell high. Anyone with asymmetric information can profit by manipulating the market. Another possibility is that he was paid (or manipulated) by the Bytecoin/CryptoNote scammers to harm XMR relative to the other CN coins. A twist on that scenario is that, at some point the B/CN scammers will realize (or have already realized) that it is better to join XMR than to fight it. Perhaps this was their way to board the train on advantageous terms. Note that none of this would require any actual flaw in XMR; it could all be smoke and mirrors. If so, then the scammers adroitly exploited TFM/AM to amplify the FUD. I doubt he would wittingly participate in such a scheme. He has apparently helped to identify and characterize some possible vulnerabilities in all the CN coins, though the significance of his findings has not yet been dispassionately analyzed. Whatever comes of TFM's discoveries, I doubt BCX truly had grounds to believe XMR to be flawed, until TFM surprisingly seconded the claim and then went on to doggedly pursue BCX's red herring. TFM is a brilliant and imaginative guy who stumbled into a pre-planned hoax, assumed that there must be something to BCX's claims, and then devoted himself to analyzing XMR's anonymity. That he didn't come up with anything resembling BCX's initial claim is reassuring, but not surprising. I am impressed with the XMR devs and community.
Hotmetal

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:36:35 PM

Unless I am missing something obvious, doing so delays the attack and makes it considerably worse.
You want the attack to come as quickly as possible. The longer it is prolonged, the greater the effect.
puck2

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:39:33 PM

OK, I'm thoroughly confused. But I do know that if XMR survives this thorough thrashing, it will rise like a Pheonix. I commend those who would protect the ring signatures from the time warp.

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:39:52 PM

It can literally become a war of attrition; however if the defence is in the process of developing a permanent fix then time is on the side of the defence. I compiled bitmonerod 4x over the last 24 hours on different computers.  Wink

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 12:44:28 PM

Unless I am missing something obvious, doing so delays the attack and makes it considerably worse.
You want the attack to come as quickly as possible. The longer it is prolonged, the greater the effect.

You're almost correct. By checkpointing daily for a bit (till he/she/it loses interest and it realises that it is both unethical and incompetent) we prevent it from being able to produce a non-checkpointed chain of any length.

myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:46:18 PM

Correct on checkpointing as regular (but temporary mitigation). I would kindly request that the dev team release binaries as well, to ensure that the checkpoints are further distributed. Presumably, exchanges & pools will take the checkpoints from source at regular intervals, but compiling is not accessible to the average user.

From what I understand, the dev team is working on additional preventive measures, aiming for a more permanent solution to this type of attack. This experience should also highlight the importance of a healthy (read: strong/fast) Monero mining network. An open source AMD miner is perhaps one important measure in this regard.

Reminder: There's still an open bounty to this effect, and Wolf0 has generously posted some partial code towards this goal, so someone taking up the task, will not need to start from scratch.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656841.0

PS: Please edit/remove text when quoting the troll(s), as this partly defeats the ignore function. Better options are:
Quote from: SomeTroll
... I am a troll ...

Quote from: TrollBuster
Now SomeTroll, show me on the doll where Monero touched you.

Quote from: TrollBuster
Is it true?

Edit: Credits due to the community members who came up with these creative responses. Thank you!

Nekomata

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 06:08:23 AM by Nekomata

XMR is the future.
Hotmetal

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:58:48 PM

You're almost correct. By checkpointing daily for a bit (till he/she/it loses interest and it realises that it is both unethical and incompetent) we prevent it from being able to produce a non-checkpointed chain of any length.

What effect would checkpointing every hour cause vs daily? Is it correct in saying that checkpoints have to be manually recovered from?
OrientA

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:29:56 PM

Does checkpointing make XMR more like a centralized currency?
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:01:32 PM

no

There is actually nothing preventing a user from adding a checkpoint to the code they are using and recompiling. All they are actually saying is that they trust, as part of the consensus making process, a chain that matches up to the checkpoint over a longer chain that differs before the checkpoint.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 02:05:04 PM

no

Well, actually, to some degree it is a form of centralised control. I'll quote from IRC -

[11:28:52]  fluffypony:    the best way to prevent this sort of attack is to have a very, very large network hashrate
[11:29:01]  fluffypony:    ours is still relatively small
[11:29:36]  Myagui:    yeah, which begs for more/better miner software - particularly opensource for AMD (of which I have none, btw)
[11:29:57]  fluffypony:    attacking Monero now using brute hashrate alone is a cop-out, because our network isn't strong enough to be considered "safe" by decentralised standards
[11:30:08]  dnaleor_:    Myagui, bitcoin solved this problem exactly like xmr: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Checkpoint_Lockin
[11:31:19]  Myagui:    dnaleor_: got it, but just as fluffypony and I were getting too, that's not really a "solution", it's mitigation (and requires babysitting)
[11:31:29]  fluffypony:    Myagui: yes
[11:31:41]  fluffypony:    remember, Monero isn't a decentralised cryptocurrency yet
[11:31:54]  fluffypony:    it *can be* one in the future when the network is bigger / stronger
[11:32:17]  fluffypony:    so anyone buying Monero now isn't buying it because it's a perfect example of a decentralised cryptocurrency
[11:32:25]  fluffypony:    they're buying it because it can potentially be one in future

A poor use of "perfect", but you get the drift.

Pages: « 1 ... 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 [731] 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: