Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:44:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][MOTO] Motocoin  (Read 178167 times)
Nyterax

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 06:19:23 AM

Seeing so much promise in this concept, even with bots...
What I don't understand is - if the original developers have no interest or stake in the coin anymore, why don't they pass the control of key assets such as master GitHub control and motocoin.org website to the person who is now voluntarily coding the fixes this coin needs?

@Nyterax
BTC: 1McgGk69g82epdnxAdDQfMSXtUygZfL4vZ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 07:22:16 AM

What I don't understand is - if the original developers have no interest or stake in the coin anymore, why don't they pass the control of key assets such as master GitHub control and motocoin.org website to the person who is now voluntarily coding the fixes this coin needs?
Exactly!
The dev is just wasting out time right now. We need him to pass it over to HunterMinerCrafter otherwise we won't have bot protection or anything.
Nyterax

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 08:09:27 AM

Exactly!
The dev is just wasting out time right now. We need him to pass it over to HunterMinerCrafter otherwise we won't have bot protection or anything.
I think it would not prevent those things, all it does is waste time and a bit of funds by being a needless obstacle. Come on William, you can do the right thing, let HMC take over and the community will still appreciate and forever credit your innovation foremost, and you will keep credibility which can be your ground to stand on if you decide to work on another project in the future. Otherwise all you accomplish is purposefully inconveniencing the community and possibly force us to rebrand the coin.

@Nyterax
WilliamLie2 (OP)

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:22:49 PM

Exactly!
Yes, I wasn’t working on this coin in recent time but I don’t understand why we need some rush here with this hardfork. I didn’t have time as I was moving from one apartment to another.

Here are some notes:
1. If I made builds in time we would now have builds with serious bug.
2. These patches does not fully fix time warp problem. Well, it’s hard problem that isn’t easy to fix.
3. His patches make very bad impression - improper indentation, unnecessary code duplication, a lot of commented code. Though it doesn't mean that they are internally bad but it makes them harder to read and gives bad impression.
4. HunterMinerCrafter wants to give humans some advantage with his N-heads approach but it is obvious that it won't work and even if it could work it would be almost useless for humans. Do you really want this coin to be controlled by someone who doesn't understand some basic things about how blockchain works?
5. This coin will probably never be human mineable again. Originally I thought that this game is hard to bot but this was proven to be false. Current coin was botted in weeks. With some changes it can be made harder for bots but there is a contradiction here - the more popular this coin is and the higher the price - the more people will make bots. Because this game is used as a way of securing the network it will pose the whole network at risk of 51% (or even 99%) attack if new well-made bot will appear. I think that current network is relatively safe from this as current bots are quite good and there are several people mining (although we may never know, maybe it is mined by just one person) but if we will start to make changes to protect game from bots then we will have the risk described above.

Nevertheless, I’m ready to make builds (starting hardfork with new block of course) if there are no new obstacles such as some bugs. HunterMinerCrafter, will you want to also make a build, so that we can bitwise compare them?
HunterMinerCrafter

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:25:57 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2014, 09:45:14 PM by HunterMinerCrafter

Yes, I wasn’t working on this coin in recent time but I don’t understand why we need some rush here with this hardfork.

Because someone could turn on some specialized hardware and rewind the entire chain.  A small handful of FPGAs could pump out 100k low difficulty blocks in hours. (Maybe even minutes.) Are we going to have to actually demonstrate this on live net to get you to start living up to your responsibility as dev?  I would hope not.

I didn’t have time as I was moving from one apartment to another.

Some notice (instead of an empty promise to do something you apparently would have had no time for) would've been nice.

This also doesn't excuse your behavior in general.  It is not just your disappearance this weekend that is troubling, overall I think no-one is satisfied with your performance to date.

Here are some notes:

What bug?  The sync issue was fixed well in advance of the fork point that you decided on.  I even debugged and fixed your gitian build issues for you, despite it being quite obvious from the build log what the problematic component was, and that resolving it didn't even necessitate a code change.

Your community was ready to go and you were nowhere to be found *yet again.*

2. These patches does not fully fix time warp problem. Well, it’s hard problem that isn’t easy to fix.

In what way do these patches not fully fix the difficulty time warp?  (If you feel there is a deficiency, you could have brought it up by now.)

If there is a remaining issue (I'm fairly confident that there isn't) let us address it and get it resolved, but you will certainly need to provide more details.

3. His patches make very bad impression - improper indentation, unnecessary code duplication, a lot of commented code. Though it doesn't mean that they are internally bad but it makes them harder to read and gives bad impression.

Not doing any development at all and disappearing at critical moments makes a bad impression.  I'm working on my own free time to do something to address the issues at hand, and all you are contributing is some bashing of myself and my efforts, which also makes an even worse impression.

If it seems that my patches are rushed and messy this is likely because they ARE rushed and messy.  They are rushed because I'm trying to get the network re-secured as soon as is possible.  (Why do you not seem to share this intent?)

If you feel my patches are not up to project standards (Do we have some commit guidelines somewhere that I've missed?) then don't accept the patches.  I've already committed to making a cleanup pass over them, which seemed to be enough for you at the time, so why pick that scab now, anyway?  You should be reviewing, testing, and commenting on patches that you feel aren't up to snuff.  If the syntax formatting is that critical to you, then reject the patches (instead of blindly merging them) to create urgency on my part to clean and resubmit them.  It is your responsibility as merge master to gate the official repository, and accept/reject contributions on merit.  If you're not going to live up to that responsibility don't go blaming your contributors.

Is this your first time leading an open-source project?

4. HunterMinerCrafter wants to give humans some advantage with his N-heads approach but it is obvious that it won't work and even if it could work it would be almost useless for humans. Do you really want this coin to be controlled by someone who doesn't understand some basic things about how blockchain works?

You still have not given any reasoning as to either why it would not work, or why it would not increase margin for humans.  It seems pretty self-evident to me that it would not only work fine but would give us an inflection point to give *arbitrary* margin back to humans. You may not believe this to be true, but until you can offer any explanation of that belief I think you stand alone there.

(EDIT: It was pointed out to me that it will not really give "arbitrary" inflection on this, which is of course true as there is a constrained range of total seignior margin available to begin with.  I guess I should have said "arbitrary margin relative to bots" or something.)

If we give humans a sufficient multiple of wall clock time to solve, how does this fail to increase their margin by that multiple?

5. This coin will probably never be human mineable again.

It certainly will not be if the developer makes no efforts (and rejects third party efforts) to do so.  I'm starting to suspect that you don't wan't to fix this mess you've left.

From digging through more context around the code and the launch of the coin, I'm even starting to suspect that one or more of the original devs have actually been bot operators since genesis, and may be the "silent" bot operator - the only one who has not either been vocal on the thread or come forward and contacted me in pm. (It really appears there is only one such "silent miner" judging by block submission sources, assuming no-one is pooling yet, and I think that is a pretty safe assumption.)

Originally I thought that this game is hard to bot but this was proven to be false. Current coin was botted in weeks. With some changes it can be made harder for bots but there is a contradiction here - the more popular this coin is and the higher the price - the more people will make bots. Because this game is used as a way of securing the network it will pose the whole network at risk of 51% (or even 99%) attack if new well-made bot will appear.

With the difficulty time warp patch in place even a "total solution" bot which could generate constant complexity solutions in trivial time could not 51% attack unless they also overcame work deficit.  (Granted, right now our adjustment interval for the work deficit is very long at 2k blocks, and should probably be shortened to further constrain any such risk.)  At best, they could revert the whole coin to a traditional PoW scheme, but could not 51% attack unless they controlled 51% of this work deficit effort also.

Further, I'm not sure why you don't seem to understand that without the bots the network is inherently insecure anyway.  The goal here should not be to "stop the bots" as all this accomplishes is putting the safety of the network's tx selection entirely back into the hands of the few extremely skilled and dedicated players.  We need to stabilize and secure the network so that a bot operator with specialized resources cannot revert the chain, and then we need to promote bot mining to maximize the decentralized security of the network with a broad contribution of bot resource.

Finally, I really do not understand at all your reasoning that a higher price leading to more miners is somehow not an advantage to the network, and is even disadvantage.  We *want* more people mining, as much and as broadly distributed as possible.  What argument can be made for the opposite?

I think that current network is relatively safe from this as current bots are quite good and there are several people mining (although we may never know, maybe it is mined by just one person) but if we will start to make changes to protect game from bots then we will have the risk described above.

You need to explain and justify what you see as risk because, again, you seem to be standing alone on this.

The current state of the network is not at all safe.  With a resource spend of only a few thousand USD an attacker has not-one-but-two options for utterly destroying this coin in a blink.  They could either difficulty time warp with low difficulty solutions or they could halt the chain with high difficulty solutions.  Unless you can provide reasoning to the contrary, both of these issues should be closed after my patch.  So far you've claimed reasoning to the contrary but have not shown it.  If you know something we don't, please do tell!

The current (second wave) bots aren't "quite good" they are just more aggressive on TT than the first wave bots.  Third wave bots will likely produce even lower TT solutions in lower wall-clock time as well.  It will not take many more iterations on the "bot AI" before we may be looking at producing a natural work deficit again!

Further, I wouldn't say that there are "several people" mining.  We have every indication that there are FIVE people (or "point of presence" entities, anyway) mining.  I do not consider a resource contribution of a few dozens of CPUs total to be nearly sufficient to call the network secured.

Nevertheless, I’m ready to make builds (starting hardfork with new block of course) if there are no new obstacles such as some bugs. HunterMinerCrafter, will you want to also make a build, so that we can bitwise compare them?

Yes, I'd gladly post gitian build hashesh, and further I propose that we establish a consortium of project maintainers to create and cross-verify all builds, so users can have confidence that their binaries are not tampered with, and will not expose their assets to risk.

Also, I think that even if you are not willing to step down as development lead (and everyone speaking up certainly seems to think that you should at this point) you should at least establish secondary compensatory controls over the repository and site so that they can have continuity even if you were to disappear for an extended time.  As things stand right now, you "hold the keys to the kingdom" as they say.  Imagine what would have happened to HUC if snailbrain had not had access to those resources when Mikhail "thecoder" passed.

Our approach of this uneasy alliance may work for the moment, but it is not sustainable.  Fix it.  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."  It is time to pick which you are going to do.

HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:37:25 PM

Sorry for the harsh rant but I'd already "called out" Will in pm, and he just ignored it entirely.  Now he posts a list of unjustified (and unproductive) claims about my efforts to fix his broken code.

Anyway we should probably pick a new fork block or something, eh?

Who else can build with gitian now?  I'd love to have at least 3 build hashes to compare.
WilliamLie2 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:41:54 PM

What bug?  The sync issue was fixed well in advance of the fork point that you decided on.  I even debugged and fixed your gitian build issues for you, despite it being quite obvious from the build log what the problematic component was, and that resolving it didn't even necessitate a code change.
Oh, I missed that fix. Issue with gitian build were obvious to you because you made that changes but not to me.

In what way do these patches not fully fix the difficulty time warp?  (If you feel there is a deficiency, you could have brought it up by now.)

If there is a remaining issue (I'm fairly confident that there isn't) let us address it and get it resolved, but you will certainly need to provide more details.
It is possible to generate 15 seconds blocks every 15 seconds. Such fork will be valued by client higher than 10 seconds block every 60 seconds because 4*1/15 > 1/10. You may start with last difficulty retarget and generate next block with much greater time to switch to 15 seconds target time and then continue to generate 15 seconds blocks with 15 seconds spacing until your fork will not contain more work (as defined by current GetBlockWork() function). Then just send your fork to the network.

You still have not given any reasoning as to either why it would not work, or why it would not increase margin for humans.  It seems pretty self-evident to me that it would not only work fine but would give us an inflection point to give *arbitrary* margin back to humans.  You may not believe this to be true, but until you can offer any explanation of that belief I think you stand alone there.

If we give humans a sufficient multiple of wall clock time to solve, how does this fail to increase their margin by that multiple?
I gave a lot of reasoning. As I said many times, the main issue with it is that you want to send blocks with unprotected (by PoW/PoP) info. Any single node can just change that info, although it doesn't give any profit, someone may do it just for fun because it is very simple. In that case network will split, some nodes will think that last block contains one set of transaction and others will think that it contains different set of transactions. It will not be a security risk because you will increase required number of confirmations but it will defeat the purpose of giving humans more time, say you are mining and try to add security to the previous block but then new block appears that has different previous block, in that case you will need to switch to new chain and that means new map. Another issue are fees. Because transactions in previous block are unprotected, miners will try to move all tranaction with fees to new block to get those fees, next miner will do the same, etc.

From digging through more context around the code and the launch of the coin, I'm even starting to suspect that one or more of the original devs have actually been bot operators since genesis, and may be the "silent" bot operator - the only one who has not either been vocal on the thread or come forward and contacted me in pm. (It really appears there is only one such "silent miner" judging by block submission sources, assuming no-one is pooling yet, and I think that is a pretty safe assumption.)
No. I don't know what in the code made you think that way. We really wanted to make human-only mineable coin.

With the difficulty time warp patch in place even a "total solution" bot which could generate constant complexity solutions in trivial time could not 51% attack unless they also overcame work deficit.  (Granted, right now our adjustment interval for the work deficit is very long at 2k blocks, and should probably be shortened to further constrain any such risk.)  At best, they could revert the whole coin to a traditional PoW scheme, but could not 51% attack unless they controlled 51% of this work deficit effort also.
Currently network works with no time deficit. To perform 51% attack you don't need to outperform all of the rest miners by very large margin, you just need to be slightlly faster then they all combined. There is no need to create time deficit.

I think that current network is relatively safe from this as current bots are quite good and there are several people mining (although we may never know, maybe it is mined by just one person) but if we will start to make changes to protect game from bots then we will have the risk described above.
I wasn't clear here, I said "relatively safe" without specifying "relative to what". Let's imagine that sometime in the future some changes will be made to constrain bots and to give humans at least some possibility to mine. That will mean that current bots will be bad and will have many possible ways for improvement. That means that someone may create drastically better bot and attack the network. Current bots probably cannot be improved to make them much faster. I'm not talking here about time warp, I'm just comparing current situation with theoretical situation described above.

Finally, I really do not understand at all your reasoning that a higher price leading to more miners is somehow not an advantage to the network, and is even disadvantage.  We *want* more people mining, as much and as broadly distributed as possible. What argument can be made for the opposite?
I'm again talking here about situation when there is a way to make drastically faster bot, in that case high price will give motivation for it.

The current (second wave) bots aren't "quite good" they are just more aggressive on TT than the first wave bots.  Third wave bots will likely produce even lower TT solutions in lower wall-clock time as well.  It will not take many more iterations on the "bot AI" before we may be looking at producing a natural work deficit again!
Maybe I'm wrong and you are right and there ways to highly improve current bots. You made a bot, I didn't, so you may know it better.

Further, I wouldn't say that there are "several people" mining.  We have every indication that there are FIVE people (or "point of presence" entities, anyway) mining.
Isn't five being several? Smiley

Also, I think that even if you are not willing to step down as development lead (and everyone speaking up certainly seems to think that you should at this point) you should at least establish secondary compensatory controls over the repository and site so that they can have continuity even if you were to disappear for an extended time.  As things stand right now, you "hold the keys to the kingdom" as they say.  Imagine what would have happened to HUC if snailbrain had not had access to those resources when Mikhail "thecoder" passed.
I gave you access on github to the repo and website. I can even send you private key for sending alert to peers.

Our approach of this uneasy alliance may work for the moment, but it is not sustainable.  Fix it.  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."  It is time to pick which you are going to do.
I don't want to give you the lead because I fear that you will try to make that N-heads thing or something similar that may have unpredictable consequences. But for this hardfork which seems fine to me I give you the incentive. Select new block for the fork, make patch and builds, upload them, update links on the website. I redirected link in OP to the website. I will also make builds if you want but you don't need to wait for me for your announcement. Show us how it should be done (no sarcasm here, I wish you will handle everything well).

everyone speaking up certainly seems to think that you should at this point.
Listening to the majority is usually not very smart. Many don't understand how it works and don't know how to write programs (this is confirmed by a lot of ridiculous proposals in this thread), their opnion is based on emotions and not on understanding and analysis of your proposals and technical disussion that surrounds them.
WilliamLie2 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:50:05 PM

You still have not given any reasoning as to either why it would not work, or why it would not increase margin for humans.  It seems pretty self-evident to me that it would not only work fine but would give us an inflection point to give *arbitrary* margin back to humans. You may not believe this to be true, but until you can offer any explanation of that belief I think you stand alone there.

(EDIT: It was pointed out to me that it will not really give "arbitrary" inflection on this, which is of course true as there is a constrained range of total seignior margin available to begin with.  I guess I should have said "arbitrary margin relative to bots" or something.)

To give humans some mining power you need to find some thing where humans are superior to computers (or at least competitive). Motogame consists of two things:
1) Map search. Obviously computers are much better here.
2) Finding the necessary sequence of moves. Well, maybe humans are better here although I'm not sure.

So there are two approaches to give humans some chance:
1) Make very good map filters so that people can spend time at what they are good at.
2) Prevent fast map enumeation and force both humans and computers to concentrate on search for move sequences.
Easy to see that both of these approaches are temporary and will work only until bots will improve their ability to generate the necessary sequence of moves. Or maybe they already are much better than humans here, in this case none of this two approaches will work.

If you find any thing where humans are competitive to computers then increasing their time can give them more advantage but this is secondary. What is primary is to find such a thing and make mining depended on it.

Instead of N-heads you can decrease block generation speed although this will make coins distribution less even.
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:36:16 PM

First, I'd just like to say that I feel this was your most reasonable post to date.  Smiley

Oh, I missed that fix. Issue with gitian build were obvious to you because you made that changes but not to me.

It was obvious to me because it says in the log for that step that it failed to scp the dangling motogame symlink.  It's ok, I call it a bug in gitian.  Let's just agree to blame them.  Cheesy

It is possible to generate 15 seconds blocks every 15 seconds. Such fork will be valued by client higher than 10 seconds block every 60 seconds because 4*1/15 > 1/10. You may start with last difficulty retarget and generate next block with much greater time to switch to 15 seconds target time and then continue to generate 15 seconds blocks with 15 seconds spacing until your fork will not contain more work (as defined by current GetBlockWork() function). Then just send your fork to the network.

Well, at a glance it appears you're not wrong.  (Although there are some constraints that you didn't enumerate, I won't bore people with it.)  This is true both with and without my patch, though, and is not exactly the same as DeepCrypto's version.  (Do you at least agree that my patch resolves the original attack vector?)

GetBlockWork is "broken" (for some definition of broken) it even almost says so in the comment, heh.
Code:
    // Motocoin-FIXME: ok?
    CBigNum GetBlockWork() const
    {
        return (CBigNum(1)<<250) / (nBits+1);
    }

The problem is that this curve isn't really indicative of anything useful, it certainly isn't a relative measure of how much effort is required to solve a block - which is the intended function.

Interestingly it gets slightly less broken after the patch (just as a weird side effect, really) but you are correct that when combined with the target formula itself also still being not quite right (as I've said my patch makes no attempt to offer a better TT targeting, and I'm still hoping someone will come forward with a good suggestion there!) you do get to play on TT in this way.  I would be interested in seeing how the two attacks might be leveraged together.  It could be brutal.

This will take another round of discussion, probably some more arguments, and likely another drama-filled patch or two, but I don't see why this couldn't be resolved.  We'll likely need both another change to GetNextWorkRequired and a better definition of GetBlockWork.

I gave a lot of reasoning. As I said many times, the main issue with it is that you want to send blocks with unprotected (by PoW/PoP) info. Any single node can just change that info, although it doesn't give any profit, someone may do it just for fun because it is very simple. In that case network will split, some nodes will think that last block contains one set of transaction and others will think that it contains different set of transactions.

This is just as true on bitcoin with only one head to the chain.  Any node can choose to ignore the most recent block and try to restructure those transactions, and mine a competing block.  Soft forks happen.

I've already said this could increase stales correspondingly to the N factor, and also already explained why it is not likely. (Bot operators who enumerate maps are most likely to use most recent blocks.)

It will not be a security risk because you will increase required number of confirmations but it will defeat the purpose of giving humans more time, say you are mining and try to add security to the previous block but then new block appears that has different previous block, in that case you will need to switch to new chain and that means new map.

You would only be forced to switch if you are already on your "Nth block round" in which case you have to switch when the new block comes in whether that new block agrees with your old chain or not.  In other words, if some new block comes in that doesn't agree with your old chain you are not forced to switch to it until it doesn't agree with your old chain N blocks ago.  Or, to put it yet another way, yes you are correct in some sense but it does not mean more map resets, it just means that both human and bot mining would be subject to the same increase in stale rates.

Another issue are fees. Because transactions in previous block are unprotected, miners will try to move all tranaction with fees to new block to get those fees, next miner will do the same, etc.

You can't just indefinitely "move all transactions to new block" just as you can't in bitcoin, and for the same reason... eventually (presumably very quickly) you can no longer catch back up to the chain you've diverged from.  (Well, assuming any more difficulty time warps we find get closed, anyway.  Grin)  Since bot miners iterate maps and will generally want to  minimize stales they would rationally tend to mine the newest blocks, so forks will naturally tend to the short side.

Yes, some people might do silly things like make their mining pool point at N deep blocks "just because" but there is no additional incentive to do so, and this would be no different from doing something like broadcasting conflicting tx spends to the btc network... it might be a nuisance to see things blink in and out of existence in the gui client, but as long as people wait for the confirms they are supposed to it wouldn't cause any actual problems.  Am I missing something in this respect?

No. I don't know what in the code made you think that way. We really wanted to make human-only mineable coin.

I'll put this in the same category as all the BS drama around the premine - who knows, who cares, water under bridges in any case.

I wasn't clear here, I said "relatively safe" without specifying "relative to what". Let's imagine that sometime in the future some changes will be made to constrain bots and to give humans at least some possibility to mine. That will mean that current bots will be bad and will have many possible ways for improvement. That means that someone may create drastically better bot and attack the network. Current bots probably cannot be improved to make them much faster. I'm not talking here about time warp, I'm just comparing current situation with theoretical situation described above.

Someone will inevitably create "drastically" better bots time and again, for some definition of drastically.  Our goal is to make it so that they can't usefully attack the network for any definition of drastically.

Maybe I'm wrong and you are right and there ways to highly improve current bots. You made a bot, I didn't, so you may know it better.

The current bots all appear to be more or less just differently "tuned" versions of minim1ner's architecture, now.  Everyone seems to be running a basic diagonal map filter on perlin height-map with annealing.

This certainly leaves quite a bit of room for algorithm improvement.

Much more likely to be of concern, though, is jumps in underlying infrastructure technology.  Although moto bots are not very well suited to GPU execution there are some other heterogeneous computing architectures that might have particular advantages.

Isn't five being several? Smiley

It would not take much to disrupt MOTO right now.  Many devs probably have enough idle cloud servers to bring together to do it "for free."

Of more concern, if any 2-3 of those five decided to collude they wouldn't even need any fancy new attack to do it.

No, when it comes to a blockchain five is not several.

I gave you access on github to the repo and website. I can even send you private key for sending alert to peers.

Huzzah! This is one of the main reasons that I said this is your most reasonable post to date.  This is the most rational and level headed thing you've done as developer of this coin since launch, and can put to bed a whole host of questions/concerns/rants that have been raised to me by a few certain community members.

I don't want to give you the lead because I fear that you will try to make that N-heads thing or something similar that may have unpredictable consequences.

If the miners don't agree with a patch they won't adopt the patch.  It is up to them, not devs.  Devs are just the "official suggester" to the miners, and support for the users.  We (miners) could've already forked at block 100k or 104k or any other arbitrary point that we all agreed to, and we just would've had some unhappy users for awhile.  Not a single block was mined on either hypothetical fork, to my knowledge, so no miner even dissented the tiniest bit from our collective decision to wait for you.  (If they had they would've rationally diverted some hash resource toward the fork, just in case they were not alone and were in fact even in the majority in the end.)  In other words, we "voted" 100% to continue to give you fair shot as lead.  Myself included.  I don't want to be lead, I just want the project to have a leader who does lead!  (I'll gladly lead or follow, but I will probably not get out of the way.)

But for this hardfork which seems fine to me I give you the incentive. Select new block for the fork, make patch and builds, upload them, update links on the website. I redirected link in OP to the website. I will also make builds if you want but you don't need to wait for me for your announcement. Show us how it should be done (no sarcasm here, I wish you will handle everything well).

Kudos.  I will not make a build alone, however, as I never want to have to ask that sort of trust of my users.  Let's "make official" the first build with three concurring hashes from three obviously-different people,  I would certainly hope to see you participate in this.

everyone speaking up certainly seems to think that you should at this point.
Listening to the majority is usually not very smart.
[/quote]

If that were true no-one would trust BTC.  The root premise of crypto-currency is that a sufficiently large, diverse, and anonymous/pseudonymous group majority consensus is the *only* thing you can believe in when it comes to cold hard cash!  (Anything else is probably trying to part fools and money, or will be trying to eventually)

Many don't understand how it works and don't know how to write programs (this is confirmed by a lot of ridiculous proposals in this thread),

Hey, what if we just made a captcha to stop the bots?  I understand where you're coming from on this, but I always try to defer to education before exclusion.

their opnion is based on emotions and not on understanding and analysis of your proposals and technical disussion that surrounds them.

This is part of why I'm particularly unhappy that DeepCrypto hasn't responded, we don't have a ton of people in the community (even the other bot operators, which is funny to me) who can really critique our efforts in a useful way.

In any case, I think many (particularly any who are "still around" after all this drama and mess) understand more than you give them credit for, even if they cannot follow the code, logic, and intricate details.

Again, I apologize for lashing out at you, but your little list was unfair to me, at best.

Here is hoping that going forward our uneasy alliance can be just a little less uneasy.   Cool
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:56:32 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 12:26:02 AM by HunterMinerCrafter

To give humans some mining power you need to find some thing where humans are superior to computers (or at least competitive). Motogame consists of two things:
1) Map search. Obviously computers are much better here.

Yes, and this is why I chose to add the work deficit payment "per-map" specifically.  Even if they totally defeat the bike riding part it will just result in taking a really long time to look at even one map.

2) Finding the necessary sequence of moves. Well, maybe humans are better here although I'm not sure.

At the moment humans are actually much better at this, given the same map and time constraint.

I've been meaning for some time now to make a video showing the interactive mode on my current bots.  It is really eye opening as to just how primitive the current bots are, and how easily they get confused by the most trivial of things.

So there are two approaches to give humans some chance:
1) Make very good map filters so that people can spend time at what they are good at.

One problem here is that a better map filter for a human is also a better map filter for a bot.  However, I think that this solution is still "telling" as an indication that the "cyborg" players utilizing the best aspects of all approaches will likely win on a slightly longer curve.  (I can make significantly more blocks when actively directing my bots than I can with unattended bot mining.)

2) Prevent fast map enumeation and force both humans and computers to concentrate on search for move sequences.
Easy to see that both of these approaches are temporary and will work only until bots will improve their ability to generate the necessary sequence of moves. Or maybe they already are much better than humans here, in this case none of this two approaches will work.

A third approach is, as I've said before, to increase modal aspects of the challenge.  This is subtly different from just increasing the difficulty of traversal.  The more "operational states" that a bot might have to be in to succeed the less likely an AI is to perform.

There's also a "probably best left unsaid" fourth option, which would involve some form of secure multiparty computation for (pseudo)real-time  shared secrets, so that the challenge wouldn't have to be a perfect information game.  The technical difficulty of pulling that off would be very high, so let's not even consider it for now.

If you find any thing where humans are competitive to computers then increasing their time can give them more advantage but this is secondary. What is primary is to find such a thing and make mining depended on it.

Another option is to "punt" and layer in a proof-of-work for securing depth, and not rely on the game itself.  Or, in other words, revert to the HUC model.  This is obviously less than ideal.

Instead of N-heads you can decrease block generation speed although this will make coins distribution less even.

Erm, how?  We've pretty much established both in discussion and in practice that our current TT adjustment doesn't accomplish this, and that the block interval isn't really constrained in either direction right now.

We could just literally enforce a constant slowdown, like "you have to run 100k rounds of sha for each perlin control point seed" or require a constant minimum work be paid by collision, but I highly doubt this would be a popular solution with either bot miners or human miners, and likely wouldn't be adopted.

BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:10:35 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 09:39:15 AM by BTCat

"Hey, what if we just made a captcha to stop the bots?  I understand where you're coming from on this, but I always try to defer to education before exclusion."

Hi guys. I'm certainly not technical so do not mind simple line of thought. I do like to read your posts and the discussion of how to move forward. It seems so complicated and perhaps it is. A simple captcha is all I could come up with way earlier in the thread but it was easily waved, figured the solution was too simple. On page 45 you answered yourself so why now come up with this as a solution or was it a joke. It makes me think that you yourself may be botting and do not like to implement for your own sake:
How about a very simple captia before every map starts to prove you're not a bot. There must be other ways to make it hard for bots and easier for humans.

Captcha can't work.  We covered this quite some pages back.

Why not make a captcha style with simple questions to answer, like 'what color is an apple'. This should be asked by the game only if a block is solved. After the user types 'green' he gets his coin. Perhaps then there should be a part where miners MAKE new questions so that they stay original and cannot be botted by collecting answers. If you had typed 'blue' then the coin will not mint at all so bots cannot try all the possible answers. There should not be a way to bypass the verification. Ofcourse there also shouldn't be double possible answers, an apple could be yellow or red too (I prefer the yellow ones).

I hope you guys can continue in peace to make MOTO better and human minable again. If this is not going to work then perhaps it's better to release easy-to-install bots to others so everyone can have a go at this. The longer it takes that only a few people can mine it, the less credible the coin gets. Another option could be to release a new project around the motor-theme where MOTO's can be used, earned and spend so that people are willing to support the price and invest in it. I'm sure most will agree MOTO is a unique project so everyone likes to see this one fixed and survive.

add some sort of simple captcha when ya hit play maybe? *shrugs*

Bots can solve captchas also
Also , how do you plan on doing the check?

It was a project about a coin that required captchas to solve blocks but .. people realized it was such a pain that it got abandoned.

Hi not too sure but some kind of randomised captcha within the program might not be as easily botted like html stuff
How would it be validated? Someone could just bypass it.

Can't we just ban the bots? IP-ban or some other way of closing the connection. The MOTO system should recognize bots and exclude them from participation. Or limit the amount of maps one can try to play within a certain timeframe.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 12:38:00 PM

add some sort of simple captcha when ya hit play maybe? *shrugs*

Bots can solve captchas also
Also , how do you plan on doing the check?

It was a project about a coin that required captchas to solve blocks but .. people realized it was such a pain that it got abandoned.

Hi not too sure but some kind of randomised captcha within the program might not be as easily botted like html stuff
How would it be validated? Someone could just bypass it.

Can't we just ban the bots? IP-ban or some other way of closing the connection. The MOTO system should recognize bots and exclude them from participation. Or limit the amount of maps one can try to play within a certain timeframe.
Unfortunately people can just change their IP's with some simple software. It would be good if they couldn't but they can. Sad
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 12:43:16 PM

I hope you guys can continue in peace to make MOTO better and human minable again. If this is not going to work then perhaps it's better to release easy-to-install bots to others so everyone can have a go at this. The longer it takes that only a few people can mine it, the less credible the coin gets.
It would be good if someone released it but we have only had one released and it doesn't seem to work.
Even if someone just released their really crappy bot, it would be good. *cough*Please?*cough*
Nyterax

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 12:45:53 PM

Uh, if everyone would have a bot they didn't program, then MOTO is not even much of a "botting research" coin anymore, heading closer to good old CPU-mining power.

@Nyterax
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:19:25 PM

"Hey, what if we just made a captcha to stop the bots?  I understand where you're coming from on this, but I always try to defer to education before exclusion."

Hi guys. I'm certainly not technical so do not mind simple line of thought. I do like to read your posts and the discussion of how to move forward. It seems so complicated and perhaps it is.

Honestly, it is actually *more* complicated than it probably seems from our discussion, all tolled.  There are a lot of technical details that we even "brush over" in our discussions, so our discussions are actually "simplified" believe it or not.  Bitcoin is some very new "bleeding edge" technology, and what we're building here is even newer and more complicated.

A simple captcha is all I could come up with way earlier in the thread but it was easily waved, figured the solution was too simple. On page 45 you answered yourself so why now come up with this as a solution or was it a joke.

It was a joke to make a point.  However I guess now I have to stand by that point, huh?

It makes me think that you yourself may be botting and do not like to implement for your own sake:
How about a very simple captia before every map starts to prove you're not a bot. There must be other ways to make it hard for bots and easier for humans.

Captcha can't work.  We covered this quite some pages back.

First, I am myself botting.  I thought this was pretty clear already, but let me review:  minim1ner was the first to execute a known bot.  There may have been other bot operators active before him, but if there were their solutions were indiscernible from humans at that time, and they have not come forward since to make the "first!" claim.  I was the second bot operator, and was the first to come forward and publicly admit/confirm the existence of the bots.

However, my botting has nothing to do with our decision not to explore a captcha as a viable option.

Why not make a captcha style with simple questions to answer, like 'what color is an apple'. This should be asked by the game only if a block is solved. After the user types 'green' he gets his coin.

The problem is in the question of who generates and verifies the captcha.  A traditional captcha runs in a client-server application, where the client software is presented with a challenge to display to the user, the user's response is sent to the server, and the server authenticates that response.  The client can't cheat by "peeking" at the answer or subverting the challenge, and it is assumed that the server has motivation not to reject the submitted answer when valid.  (Presumably they want actual humans using the server.)

We have no server, because MOTO is not a "client-server thing" at all.  This leaves us with two options... generate and verify the captcha locally within the wallet or generate and verify the captcha within the network consensus mechanism.  Neither can work for some very simple reasons.

If we generate/verify the captcha locally within the wallet the bot operator can simply remove that portion of code in the wallet, skip the check, and noone would be any the wiser, so this is right out.

Generating and verifying the captcha "on the network" carries two problems.  First, it is extremely difficult to do, technically.  Since we don't have some central server to "hide the answer within" we would have to use some very new and very complex technologies (like fully homomorphic encryption mechanisms) to generate the challenge in a way that no one could know the answer ahead of time.  While arguably possible, implementing this would be a huuuuuuuge undertaking (we're talking months-to-years) and would impose some significant complexity and slowdowns on the network.  However, there is a bigger problem on the verification side even if we were able to do the implementation in any reasonable time.  Unlike the server verifying the captcha where the server is motivated to authenticate a correct captcha correctly, we would have a situation where miners would be authenticating the captchas of other miners, creating a direct incentive to never authenticate another's captcha correctly!  Basically, it pays every miner to say "NO WRONG CAPTCHA" to any captcha response that isn't their own block.  As such, the network would be likely to simply stall unless some pooled miners colluded to always except only eachother's blocks in which case those colluders would control the network.  Of course we all know that a centralized cartel of transaction authorities colluding is precisely the thing that crypto currency is intended to avoid in the first place.

Perhaps then there should be a part where miners MAKE new questions so that they stay original and cannot be botted by collecting answers. If you had typed 'blue' then the coin will not mint at all so bots cannot try all the possible answers. There should not be a way to bypass the verification. Ofcourse there also shouldn't be double possible answers, an apple could be yellow or red too (I prefer the yellow ones).

This is even more problematic, as if the miners are manually creating explicit challenges for each other, they have similarly incentive to the denying the verification step, but now they would have incentive to create entirely unreasonable/unanswerable captchas as well.

I hope you guys can continue in peace to make MOTO better and human minable again. If this is not going to work then perhaps it's better to release easy-to-install bots to others so everyone can have a go at this. The longer it takes that only a few people can mine it, the less credible the coin gets.

Early in the difficulty time warp discussions, the bot miners decided collectively not to release their bots in order to keep it more difficult for someone to be able to execute the attack.  We did not want some "script kiddie" type coming along and destroying the coin just for fun, or to attack an exchange to gain btc, etc.  

We didn't expect a resolution to take quite this long, however.  We also didn't expect a second variant of the attack to pop up, which has now happened.  There had been some discussion about releasing a "closed" bot constrained to a pooled operation, so tx selection would not be put at risk as much (assuming an altruistic, trustworthy pool operator anyway) but the network could still be further secured by increased hash rate.  Although this concept was recently put on hold, we may end up taking this course of action now anyway as the landscape has shifted slightly.

Another option could be to release a new project around the motor-theme where MOTO's can be used, earned and spend so that people are willing to support the price and invest in it. I'm sure most will agree MOTO is a unique project so everyone likes to see this one fixed and survive.

I don't think anyone is going to be concerned with these types of efforts until after the security of the network is sorted out.

Can't we just ban the bots? IP-ban or some other way of closing the connection. The MOTO system should recognize bots and exclude them from participation.

First, an IP based solution is not viable because IPs are virtually free.  Any attacker likely has access to virtually limitless IP addresses to use.  Further, this runs the risk of banning a lot of legitimate users.  Imagine a small university campus with dorms all on a single public IP behind a NAT router.  One botter on this campus would lead to the whole school's network being banned, blocking any legitimate users there from participation.  This is obviously not a good situation.

Or limit the amount of maps one can try to play within a certain timeframe.

There really is not a good way to constrain any inputs like this.  Since any inputs to the proof function must be "seeded from" the block header, which includes a "merkle root" reference to the coinbase of the miner and since coinbases are arbitrarily mutable this means that the possible input set to the function is virtually unbounded, giving a miner a virtually limitless set of map nonces to choose from.

Again, let me point out that stopping the bots is *NOT* a goal.  If we found some incredible and magical way to eliminate every bot all that this would do is take control of tx selection out of the hands of the bot operators (which could generally be "anyone who cares to configure and run a bot") and into the hands of a few skilled players.  (Which is not a group that is easily joined.... you would need years of practice to "catch up to" the long-time elma players on skill.)  We need the bots, or we revert to a state where a few players dominate mining, and can 51% at will.

HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:30:43 PM

It would be good if someone released it but we have only had one released and it doesn't seem to work.

It does work fine, it just needs some slight modification to work reasonably, and some "tuning" to work efficiently against the current network parameters.  You can likely see how to do both the modification and a part of the tuning by comparing the code minim1ner released with the map filter code in my patches to the reference client.

Even if someone just released their really crappy bot, it would be good. *cough*Please?*cough*

At this point a "really crappy bot" (like Flipper heh) would probably be a huge disappointment to you.  You would almost certainly be mining at a net loss on energy cost.  (The flipper variant that I ran the longest would now generate only a couple of blocks a day.)  Even minim1ner's bot, tuned optimally, will probably soon be no longer competitive.

I'd just wait for some mining pools. Wink
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:39:39 PM

Thanks for the extended explanation, appreciate it.
That being said I guess there is little hope for this coin for others to mine, only a few people mining it and dumping is unacceptable so I'm selling my stack.
Goodluck with it. 
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:40:42 PM

if the coin is 'rebranded' will people who own MOTO still own their moto in the form of this new coin?

The coin would've only been re-branded had Will disappeared on us without leaving any access to the repository and site.  Since this is now no longer a risk (or at least is mitigated by the requirement that both Will and myself would have to up and vanish to lose these resources) there should be no need for any further discussion of re-branding at this time.

I think its a great idea, if you can get several nice games going with pleasant gaming experience and nice graphics and promote it to cellphone toting societies like japan, korea, it could really be a 'new thing' on the internet, not just some seriously obscure 'variation of bitcoin'.

It is very likely that some additional proof-of-play coins will appear with different games.  I don't think MOTO has any plans of doing different games, however.  We may explore some different game "modes" in the future, but the proof challenge itself will probably always remain a "trials style bmx" challenge.

Amazing concept really... i think this type of thing will be standard fare and international computer games that are played across WAN like tournaments well, people will automatically win earnings with the currency, rather than get prizes like they do in comp game tournaments in korea...

Yes, this. Online "sport" gaming has just changed forever.  Tournaments can now be automated, can now not have to rely on any central tournament coordinator, and can not be cheated in any reasonable way.  This is huge.

i think maybe this idea is too big for one dev to handle, anyways...?

It is likely that this idea, even in the proof-of-concept form of MOTO, is too big for even just Will and I to handle alone.

I would like to see nothing more than for some more interested devs to start getting involved!

and a support team, if you really want to get it *out there*.

We have a couple of different "PR resources" on standby, but until the network security problems are addressed they will remain in standby mode.

There is no sense in burning resources on promoting the coin before the coin is secure and stable.  Such promotion would likely attract more potential attackers.  Such promotion would likely not attract more usage, as users would be hesitant to rely on a coin with multiple known security and stability issues.  (Do you want *your* money tied up in a blockchain that might halt or, worse, suddenly be rewound to genesis?)
HunterMinerCrafter

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:48:58 PM

Thanks for the extended explanation, appreciate it.
That being said I guess there is little hope for this coin for others to mine,

I wouldn't say that.  The security of the network has to, of course, come before the human-mine-ability.  Once the security issues are resolved I'm sure some way to balance human mining will be found, whether that means N-heads approach or something else entirely.

only a few people mining it and dumping is unacceptable so I'm selling my stack.

Most bot mined coins are not dumped.  The most productive (generally) bot miner does seem to dump a large portion of his earnings intermittently, but also appears to be holding some back.  I'm holding every coin I mine, personally, as I think the price is very discounted due to all of the drama in recent weeks.  Feel free to dump and discount that price even further, I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers to be found.  (Has anyone else noticed that MOTO is one of the few alts with a persistent "institutional block" on the books?  Smart money is smart.)
willoweb

Activity: 658
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:08:25 PM

proof of concept form? What is this, never heard of it, lol... a pity different gaming modes couldn't have been created for this coin, I'm sure others will do it with other criteria, though Smiley

Kleks Academy
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀               ▀▀██▄
██▀                     ▀██
██▀ ███     ▄▄█▀         ▀██
███  ███▄▄██▀             ███
███  ██████▀███▄            ███
███  ███    ▀███▄          ███
██▄ ▀▀▀      ▀███▄       ▄██
██▄            ▀▀███▄▄▄ ▄██
▀██▄▄               ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
      ▄█
     ███▌
 ██▄ ▀█▀
 ▀██▌▄▀▄██
█▄ ▀ █ █▀
▀██▄▐▌  ▄█
▄ ▀▀▐▌ ██▀
 ███ █ ▀ ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀ █  ██▀
  ███▄ █ ▀ ▄█▄
   ▀▀▀▀ ▀▄ ███
     ▄██▄ ▀▄▀
      ▀▀▀▀  ▀▄
THE LEGEND RETURNS!
▀██████▄   TWITTER   ▀▄   INSTAGRAM   ▄▀   DISCORD   ▄█████▀
      █▄
     ▐███
      ▀█▀ ▄██
    ██▄▀▄▐██▀
     ▀█ █ ▀ ▄█
    █▄  ▐▌▄██▀
    ▀██ ▐▌▀▀ ▄
  ▄█▄ ▀ █ ███
  ▀██  █ ▀▀▀
▄█▄ ▀ █ ▄███
███ ▄▀ ▀▀▀▀
 ▀▄▀ ▄██▄
▄▀  ▀▀▀▀
██     ██████████████                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTYDETECTIVE
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 »
  Print  

Jump to: