Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:19:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 360 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SilkCoin | New Wallet | NOW on MintPal / Cryptsy | FULL POS  (Read 332067 times)
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:36:00 AM

Seemed like people just started panic selling because the white paper was not formatted up to their standards or something.

There is still the nagging concern regarding the fact that, if they couldn't be bothered to change the address format from the Blackcoin code they copied, why on earth would they suddenly be looking at creating this epic ecosystem that is described in the whitepaper?

I don't think copying a coin's source code is necessarily a problem, Object-Oriented programming, especially in open-source, is all about being able to incorporate existing code into your own project but something as simple as specifying an address format that would at least represent the name of your own coin in some way, is one of the fundamentals of coin design.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
fusi0n

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:41:52 AM

Seemed like people just started panic selling because the white paper was not formatted up to their standards or something.

There is still the nagging concern regarding the fact that, if they couldn't be bothered to change the address format from the Blackcoin code they copied, why on earth would they suddenly be looking at creating this epic ecosystem that is described in the whitepaper?

I don't think copying a coin's source code is necessarily a problem, Object-Oriented programming, especially in open-source, is all about being able to incorporate existing code into your own project but something as simple as specifying an address format that would at least represent the name of your own coin in some way, is one of the fundamentals of coin design.

Who cares about the address format? It works right? Why does it matter?

And it's not suddenly, the dev has been talking about the eco-system from the start.
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 11:45:24 AM

I am sick of all those negative thoughts about Silkcoin in this thread. I started http://silkcointalk.org to build up a real community around Silkcoin. Let us build the community we need around Silkcoin without those jealous people. The devs need to see that we are serious about this coin instead of reading all those crap.
cryptodevil
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:46:49 AM

And it's not suddenly, the dev has been talking about the eco-system from the start.

Ok that is true, but then that makes the situation look worse because, if they used another coin's source code while planning to create this 'ground-breaking' ecosystem, something as simple, yet crucially important in cryptocurrency-land, as specifying an address format that could be recognised easily as their own, seems one hell of an omission.

Seriously, anyone with any IT background would recognise that there are ways in which you progress projects and something as fundamentally basic as establishing a unique format for your 'new' coin address is something that you don't just forget to do.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
kalisto

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:53:03 AM

The white paper isn't bad at all! It gives a good view on how they gonna build the eco system and what technique's they gonna use. The only thing that misses in the whitepaper is some comparison with systems we have now or some swarm networks that are already active. Maybe some diagrams about the authentication from the blochcain on the swarm network would make it easier for people to understand but proper reading of the white paper should give you a pretty good view on whats next.

So if people say the white paper sucks they really need to start reading and stop looking to the layout. Remember its a rev1 draft version. I feel sorry for the devs with all fud in this topic but we know already they handle this in a professional way.

The only thing i want some more indepth on is the difference by running a full p2p node and a client. Is a full node being rewarded with fee from ads? Also some graphs about data growth would be nice and if there are things in place to reduce p2p swarm bloating by using self destructing ads etc. It would be nice that ad type data gets a selfdestruct timer. Why do we need history when we have the future?
Quantum12

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:01:25 PM

I am sick of all those negative thoughts about Silkcoin in this thread. I started http://silkcointalk.org to build up a real community around Silkcoin. Let us build the community we need around Silkcoin without those jealous people. The devs need to see that we are serious about this coin instead of reading all those crap.

Their is already an online community ,

Www.mysilkcoin.com

And has been used for a while

Hopefully we shall see u all their

Q
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:05:27 PM

Www.mysilkcoin.com

Q

I know, but it isn't very active and it was time to get the community stand firm behind Silkcoin. The idea behind it is supporting SC and i hope you are glad with that idea. This topic has been full of fud and isn't very enjoyable to read for new investors.
fusi0n

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:06:39 PM

Ok that is true, but then that makes the situation look worse because, if they used another coin's source code while planning to create this 'ground-breaking' ecosystem, something as simple, yet crucially important in cryptocurrency-land, as specifying an address format that could be recognised easily as their own, seems one hell of an omission.

Seriously, anyone with any IT background would recognise that there are ways in which you progress projects and something as fundamentally basic as establishing a unique format for your 'new' coin address is something that you don't just forget to do.

I work in IT and used to be a coder. I hear you but so what? There are bigger priorities... you assume it's a basic change but it may not be. Everything is a copy of a copy in the crypto world. Silkcoin brought new features that other coins wallet don't have and now it's being copied.

Why does the situation look worse? It doesn't look worse just because you say so.

What about all the other things the dev has delivered? Can you comment on those? I don't get why you are so fixated on something so small?
Quantum12

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:10:16 PM

Www.mysilkcoin.com

Q

I know, but it isn't very active and it was time to get the community stand firm behind Silkcoin. The idea behind it is supporting SC and i hope you are glad with that idea.

I am always glad that people wish to support us Smiley i just don't want that support to get diluted down into 4 diff places, we have a user moderated thread, this thread, mysilkcoin.com and now your site..

we had a really nice thread here before the fudsters and pump and dump groups got involved, we have resisted creating a moderated thread due to

1. diluting our following and replies
2. People screaming we don't listen to critique because we remove posts
etc etc

as soon as the rest of the team gets online we shall let you know our thoughts

Q
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:11:50 PM

Thanks...let me know. I have send many PM's but no answer to my support.
kalisto

Activity: 245

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:15:01 PM

Www.mysilkcoin.com

Q

I know, but it isn't very active and it was time to get the community stand firm behind Silkcoin. The idea behind it is supporting SC and i hope you are glad with that idea.

I am always glad that people wish to support us Smiley i just don't want that support to get diluted down into 4 diff places, we have a user moderated thread, this thread, mysilkcoin.com and now your site..

we had a really nice thread here before the fudsters and pump and dump groups got involved, we have resisted creating a moderated thread due to

1. diluting our following and replies
2. People screaming we don't listen to critique because we remove posts
etc etc

as soon as the rest of the team gets online we shall let you know our thoughts

Q

Yes, please only use the original forum, this thread or a self moderated threads opened by team members of SC.
The dilution is really a bad thing because people don't know where to look and it will hurt SC on the long run.
If the original forum wasn't active then make it active instead of wasting time on opening another forum.

PS. ive posted a few reply's in this topic to start some discussion about the technical background but it seems everyone is more interested in air talk. NOT GOOD!
cryptodevil
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:19:53 PM

This assertion
I work in IT and used to be a coder.

Appears to conflict with this one
you assume it's a basic change but it may not be.
It is and the fact it was not done is disconcerting.

What about all the other things the dev has delivered?
It is the fact that they created a pretty looking wallet, yet couldn't be arsed to do something as fundamentally simple and required as creating a unique address identifier that worries me.

It's like going to a Ferrari dealer, seeing this beautifully designed car and popping the bonnet, only to find a Fiat 500 engine inside.

Silkcoin (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:23:41 PM

We are 5 devs working on the code, at launch one of them looked the part of the address but since he's not used to Base58 encoding he checked https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Base58Check_encoding and thought 25 would be S. Remember we are multiple devs working on the code.
Regarding your coment cryptodevil, how can you say the first letter of the public key is the engine Wink?

We discovered it pretty soon, but what implication does this have? None. On the other hand would you really think it would be a good idea to change the address formatting after launch? No.
Anyway, how can anyone call this a problem? We have bigger problems to deal with, and if this is the only criticism you can make over Silk, well we're happy.

On other news, seeing the last nights dumps we will try to include the built-in exchanger in tomorrow's update to boost up confidence a bit in the market.
We are also trying our best to finish the revision of the paper as soon as possible. I hope you still liked the present released infos Wink.

Last thing, we are thinking about moving the thread to a self-mod thread. I was against that idea at first but seeing it's becoming impossible to have a civilized discussion/debate here because of the FUD & co we feel this our only option.
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:25:41 PM

If the original forum wasn't active then make it active instead of wasting time on opening another forum.

I am not wasting time...i am investing time in this coin. If that is a bad idea according to you, then please tell me what an active community member of SC has to do...staring at my wallet all day and hoping the price will go up with all those FUD? The mods are doing nothing here in this thread (accept for deleting funny camel pictures and give me a warning for it). The original forum isn't very active and that bugs me a lot. I am planning to give a lot of time for this coin to get it under the attention of new investors, so don't tell me i am wasting my time.
1Referee
Legendary

Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:26:58 PM

People not related to silkcoin shouldn't be making forums to attract members as it is not official, silkcoin team should take care of everything as it then is official.

Just be patient and let the devs do their work, if they release something good (I'm sure they will) a higher price will follow.

People that buy stocks are investing their money 1 or more years for only 5% or so in profit, crypto guys can't even wait 2 or 3 weeks.... A few days is already too long for them.
Shame on you guys!!
fusi0n

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:27:40 PM

This assertion
I work in IT and used to be a coder.

Appears to conflict with this one
you assume it's a basic change but it may not be.
It is and the fact it was not done is disconcerting.

What about all the other things the dev has delivered?
It is the fact that they created a pretty looking wallet, yet couldn't be arsed to do something as fundamentally simple and required as creating a unique address identifier that worries me.

It's like going to a Ferrari dealer, seeing this beautifully designed car and popping the bonnet, only to find a Fiat 500 engine inside.

So you are saying a single letter in the public key is the engine of the coin?

And why do we need an unique address identifier?
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:28:14 PM

People not related to silkcoin shouldn't be making forums to attract members as it is not official, silkcoin team should take care of everything as it then is official.

Just be patient and let the devs do their work, if they release something good (I'm sure they will) a higher price will follow.

People that buy stocks are investing their money 1 or more years for only 5% or so in profit, crypto guys can't even wait 2 or 3 weeks.... A few days is already too long for them.
Shame on you guys!!

It's like you're saying that there shouldn't be built new churches, because..?

It's better if you have more forums. Information is what's needed.

In this case, rule of "quality over quantity" doesn't apply, IMO.

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
fusi0n

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:29:03 PM

We are 5 devs working on the code, at launch one of them looked the part of the address but since he's not used to Base58 encoding he checked https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Base58Check_encoding and thought 25 would be S. Remember we are multiple devs working on the code.

We discovered it pretty soon, but what implication does this have? None. On the other hand would you really think it would be a good idea to change the address formatting after launch? No.
Anyway, how can anyone call this a problem? We have bigger problems to deal with, and if this is the only criticism you can make over Silk, well we're happy.

On other news, seeing the last nights dumps we will try to include the built-in exchanger in tomorrow's update to boost up confidence a bit in the market.
We are also trying our best to finish the revision of the paper as soon as possible. I hope you still liked the present released infos Wink.

Last thing, we are thinking about moving the thread to a self-mod thread. I was against that idea at first but seeing it's becoming impossible to have a civilized discussion/debate here because of the FUD & co we feel this our only option.

Thank you devs  Grin Grin
boestin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:33:01 PM

Regarding your coment cryptodevil, how can you say the first letter of the public key is the engine Wink?

Wow, things are moving fast all of a sudden!
 About the self-mod thread; I think its in the best interest to do so, just close this topic with a small explanation why (including the 0.5btc story) and a link to the new one. Also make some polls about choices you guys make in the future, like F2A and such.
1Referee
Legendary

Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:36:44 PM

Shame on you guys!!

It's like you're saying that there shouldn't be built new churches, because..?

It's better if you have more forums. Information is what's needed.

In this case, rule of "quality over quantity" doesn't apply, IMO.

Nothing wrong with more forums, but there already is an official forum, so it's better to get users to join that one Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 360 »
  Print  

Jump to: