Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:25:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Goomboo's Journal  (Read 281400 times)
kinghajj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:09:20 AM

Ah, I've been looking at the 15-minute interval chart. I think this may be a false crossover, unless the volume starts increasing. There also seems to be little support above $6.20.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:18:38 AM

Ah, I've been looking at the 15-minute interval chart. I think this may be a false crossover, unless the volume starts increasing. There also seems to be little support above $6.20.

I don't trade this indicator, but it is the theme of this thread.  Volume is thin, but other than that this recent uptrend looks fairly healthy.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:24:35 AM

Hope it goes down again because there is still a * on bitcoinica. So no chance of going long...  Roll Eyes
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:26:10 AM

Hope it goes down again because there is still a * on bitcoinica. So no chance of going long...  Roll Eyes

You could always lay down some USDs.

Timbo925

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:32:22 AM

I could but I don't want to. All the money I trade with is form mining BTC.
This way I don't risk losing my own money.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:35:01 AM

Are you saying your BTC is not money?

Timbo925

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:38:05 AM

Are you saying your BTC is not money?

Good point Tongue But I see all my BTC as my hobby money. Don't want to invest money I didn't earn within the 'system'
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:39:13 AM

Good point Tongue But I see all my BTC as my hobby money. Don't want to invest money I didn't earn within the 'system'

I get that too... it's all profit at this point Wink.

Bebop

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 01:00:18 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2012, 01:16:40 PM by Bebop

Yeah, on the long side, I typically will just straight up purchase bitcoin if it is maxed out.  Having funds at Mt. Gox for longs and Bitcoinica for short is how I play it.

This answer is open to anyone, my question is: when you want to place a long a MtGox do you (a) just press 'buy' at the default price in the text box, or (b) adjust the price down a little.

I've been adjusting down a little, and it takes quite some time to convert the $ to BTC. I usually choose a number half way between the default numbers that gox shows for 'buy' and 'sell'. Is this somewhat ineffective way to do it?

Leave these numbers as default when buy/sell, or make some adjustments?

http://i44.tinypic.com/o5dezd.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/sfvt7b.jpg

nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:09:44 PM

This answer is open to anyone, my question is: when you want to place a long a MtGox do you (a) just press 'buy' at the default price in the text box, or (b) adjust the price down a little.

It is up to you to decide. If you cover the sell you will get your coins instantly, but you will pay more. If you adjust the price down you will pay less, but it will take more time to fill. There is also a chance that the market moves up letting your order stuck down there for a long time.
buck92

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:14:22 PM

Yeah, on the long side, I typically will just straight up purchase bitcoin if it is maxed out.  Having funds at Mt. Gox for longs and Bitcoinica for short is how I play it.

I've been adjusting down a little, and it takes quite some time to convert the $ to BTC. I usually choose a number half way between the default numbers that gox shows for 'buy' and 'sell'. Is this somewhat ineffective way to do it?

One thing you can try is basing your buy price on the orders that are on the books at MtGox.  It may take a while for you to get your price, but this way you will have an idea if your price is doable for the amount of bitcoins you want to buy. Also try not to obsess yourself with the absolute lowest price point possible because IMHO that will lead to more mistakes and the possibly of getting a higher price point then you desired because of a missed window.

Check out http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/ for a great display of the MtGox order book.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:22:23 PM

In other news, the market hesitated too long to hit the 10,21 crossover, so we took a nice dip.

StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 04:46:33 PM

GoomBoo (you gotta love that name !)

I noticed when charting the moving averages as per your recommendations, that the MACD, the Blue line,
very closely matches your Buy and Sell points when it crosses Divergence. Are they essentially the same
indicators, do they reinforce each other?
Goomboo (OP)

Activity: 409

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:30:43 PM

Leave these numbers as default when buy/sell, or make some adjustments?

I pretty much never use limit orders when I'm trading.  So if I were to buy right now, I'd type the quantity I wanted to buy and a price of like $10 / coin so that I'll get filled.  I'd rather not sit there waiting for someone to fill my order.

It really depends on the size you are trading...I'm willing to give up a few cents to enter the market when I see prices moving.
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:37:04 PM

GoomBoo (you gotta love that name !)

I noticed when charting the moving averages as per your recommendations, that the MACD, the Blue line,
very closely matches your Buy and Sell points when it crosses Divergence. Are they essentially the same
indicators, do they reinforce each other?

The MACD stands for moving average convergence divergence.  For the default settings (12, 26, 9), it is just the 12 period moving average minus the 26 period moving average.  The 9 means it's then smoothed with a 9 period moving average to help give buy and sell signals.

So yeah, it's essentially the same thing except that the MACD helps anticipates crossovers because a signal can be generated when the averages start to change direction (even before they crossover).

Since we're using a 10 and 21 crossover, if you can change the settings of your MACD to (10, 21, 9), you'll see that it's pretty much the same thing.

There are several ways to trade the MACD and I prefer to keep it simple and straightforward by just using the moving averages.

Here's some readings on the basics:

http://thetradequest.com/macd.html

http://www.onlinetradingconcepts.com/TechnicalAnalysis/MACD.html

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/macd.asp#axzz1kD2pxNTG
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:38:38 PM

I'm wary of looking at smaller timeframes in the BTC market.  My main issue is volume / the spread.  Much of the trading / charting that happens on the lower timeframes in BTC is really just noise and difficult to follow.  Also, if you take a trade, the spread is so large that your position may never make money, even if you were right as to the trend direction for the next few hours.
StewartJ

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:02:52 PM

I'm wary of looking at smaller timeframes in the BTC market.  My main issue is volume / the spread.  Much of the trading / charting that happens on the lower timeframes in BTC is really just noise and difficult to follow.  Also, if you take a trade, the spread is so large that your position may never make money, even if you were right as to the trend direction for the next few hours.

I was noticing the potentially low 15 minute  interval in posters question.

Just to verify, the optimal chart your considering for viewing the moving 10/21 EMAs is a 5 Day/ 1 Hour chart, correct?

I noticed you mentioned the 10 Day / 1 hour chart, as well. Is that just as valid as the 5 Day chart? 

Sorry for the confusion.

Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:13:44 PM

I'm wary of looking at smaller timeframes in the BTC market.  My main issue is volume / the spread.  Much of the trading / charting that happens on the lower timeframes in BTC is really just noise and difficult to follow.  Also, if you take a trade, the spread is so large that your position may never make money, even if you were right as to the trend direction for the next few hours.

I was noticing the potentially low 15 minute  interval in posters question.

Just to verify, the optimal chart your considering for viewing the moving 10/21 EMAs is a 5 Day/ 1 Hour chart, correct?

I noticed you mentioned the 10 Day / 1 hour chart, as well. Is that just as valid as the 5 Day chart?  

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, thanks for the questions!

The lookback period (5 / 10 day), doesn't particularly matter to me since that is just showing how much data is actually on the chart.  Personally, I like a good amount of data on the chart so that I don't get caught up in the candle-to-candle battle for dominance.  The moving averages are calculated based on the data (hourly / daily / 15-minute), so how much data you show on the chart is not terribly important.  

I prefer the 1 hour chart because it allows me to have a trade for 2-3 days.  It suits my risk appetite and my desire to participate in the trend.  I consider this intermediate term trading while anything shorter I call short-term trading.

It really depends on what you are looking for.  If you want to trade once every few weeks, then I'd use the daily chart to make your trading decisions.
StewartJ

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:25:45 PM

No worries, thanks for the questions!

The lookback period (5 / 10 day), doesn't particularly matter to me since that is just showing how much data is actually on the chart.  Personally, I like a good amount of data on the chart so that I don't get caught up in the candle-to-candle battle for dominance.  The moving averages are calculated based on the data (hourly / daily / 15-minute), so how much data you show on the chart is not terribly important.  

I prefer the 1 hour chart because it allows me to have a trade for 2-3 days.  It suits my risk appetite and my desire to participate in the trend.  I consider this intermediate term trading while anything shorter I call short-term trading.

It really depends on what you are looking for.  If you want to trade once every few weeks, then I'd use the daily chart to make your trading decisions.

OK gotcha, thanks. 

Helps validate my trading style, looking at the bigger picture and trying not to fall into the daytrading trap of monitoring
hour to hour and minute to minute.   Smiley
Goomboo (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 07:01:50 PM

Some buying pressure is starting up.  I'll probably lose on this short, some of the early traders may be scratch or slight profit though.  The cross is tightening...no action until the crossover though.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: