Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:30:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay  (Read 41620 times)
_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 10:53:32 PM

I just purchase something and listed something for sale on CrytoThrift to try it out.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:07:17 PM

I just purchase something and listed something for sale on CrytoThrift to try it out.

I just checked out Cryptothrift.   It is pretty cool.  Obviously it could use more listings, but I am sure it will soon...
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:11:07 PM

I just checked out Cryptothrift.   It is pretty cool.  Obviously it could use more listings, but I am sure it will soon...

What is decentralized in Cryptothrift ? It appears like a normal market place that accepts Bitcoin !!!

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 11:40:05 PM

I can't wait for this to be released. I've read about it a few days back.
Should be great for Bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:41:30 PM

I have an old set of block erupters I might list on there to try it out.

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:09:53 AM

I hope this takes off, but like other sites/companies trying to do the same thing it may be too soon.

It's a great concept,  but if few people use the site then it dies quickly.  No one wants to put a listing on a website and just have it sit there with no buyers.

I'll support this site and I do think at some point a decentralized "ebay" will get a strong foothold.  Hopefully it's this one, if not then hopefully it's the next one that pops up  Smiley

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 12:30:42 AM

Yeah and it has a way to go for building reputation as well.
I've been on ebay for a decade so it's pretty safe to say I'm not throwing out my perfect feedback score to scam someone.
Absolutely going to try OpenBazar too but for now my big items  like precious metals and the Ant S1 I've got listed will be stuck on ebay.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:20:43 AM

Hmm.... I am planning to purchase this item from Crypto-thrift.

https://cryptothrift.com/auctions/marketing-seo/offshore-bank-account-visa-card-controlpanleall-in/

I have never used the site before. Is it safe to spend my coins there?
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:46:50 AM

I've long had the dream of a decentralized marketplace of Magic players that list a few cards of their own on the market. Creating a diverse P2P network of magic players that "crowdcreate?" the most diverse selection of MTG cards available.
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:48:14 AM

And as you might already know through earlier correspondence, my graphic design skills are always available for the project
tigeRshoes

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:29:47 PM

I get that this is an awesome thing, but so far I'm not impressed. Everyone loves to hype their latest invention as being "distributed" and "decentralized", but the fact is OpenBazaar is using a local MongoDB instance to persist data. According to their GitHub repo, the only suggested improvement to this is a switch to SQLite.

How can they possibly consider this "distributed"? DB exists only in one place at a time unless it is copied manually to other servers. No matter what, they'll have to involve a trusted third party to be the steward of the all important DB. Bitcoin solved this problem with a blockchain.
tigeRshoes

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:31:20 PM

OpenBazaar needs censorship resistance, and trustlessness, or it will be subject to the same fate as Silk Road. MongoDB running on a couple servers just doesn't cut it.
tigeRshoes

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:33:13 PM

I fail to see much of an advantage to this solution, when they could instead set up your own clone of Silk Road, add multisig, and match OpenBazaar feature-for-feature but have total control over the development process. It seems like this is what they'll end up doing with  their time if nothing changes.

Until something is done about this, I'm going to keep thinking that they don't have a distributed platform, they have an open source platform that many individual organizations will run on their own, that don't really talk to each other or persist data in a trustless distributed manner as does Bitcoin.
shogdite

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:45:54 PM

Think this is a great idea, missed using Bitmit and not got round to trying Cryptothrift yet.

Anybody know when it'll be released?

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:47:49 PM

Why I need to download? So OpenBazaar is an application like bitcoin and you don't need to use a browser?

mamarried

Activity: 260

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:49:47 PM

I get that this is an awesome thing, but so far I'm not impressed. Everyone loves to hype their latest invention as being "distributed" and "decentralized", but the fact is OpenBazaar is using a local MongoDB instance to persist data. According to their GitHub repo, the only suggested improvement to this is a switch to SQLite.

How can they possibly consider this "distributed"? DB exists only in one place at a time unless it is copied manually to other servers. No matter what, they'll have to involve a trusted third party to be the steward of the all important DB. Bitcoin solved this problem with a blockchain.

OpenBazaar needs censorship resistance, and trustlessness, or it will be subject to the same fate as Silk Road. MongoDB running on a couple servers just doesn't cut it.

I fail to see much of an advantage to this solution, when they could instead set up your own clone of Silk Road, add multisig, and match OpenBazaar feature-for-feature but have total control over the development process. It seems like this is what they'll end up doing with  their time if nothing changes.

Until something is done about this, I'm going to keep thinking that they don't have a distributed platform, they have an open source platform that many individual organizations will run on their own, that don't really talk to each other or persist data in a trustless distributed manner as does Bitcoin.

You are completely misunderstanding what this database is for. It only stores data for the local node, like configurations or things that the node learns about the network. This DB is not a datastore for the network. However, there are indeed hard problems that OpenBazaar has to solve such as reputation and distributed search.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:01:25 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 06:54:17 PM by jaberwock

Hmm.... I am planning to purchase this item from Crypto-thrift.

https://cryptothrift.com/auctions/marketing-seo/offshore-bank-account-visa-card-controlpanleall-in/

I have never used the site before. Is it safe to spend my coins there?

Yes, it is a trusted site. I used that site many times before. Just buy only on trusted seller and always check the escrow option. If you have problems just contact the support and they will reply immediately.

hoffmabc

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 02:02:58 PM

MongoDB as you mentioned is what we are using right now for our reference client to persist data. This is not required for using the OpenBazaar network. The OpenBazaar is creating a Distributed Hash Table (DHT) using Kademlia-type topology to store data like listings across all of the peers participating. I would say this makes it pretty distributed and data is replicated across multiple nodes for redundancy as well. We also plan to use the blockchain for certain activities such as timestamping contracts or potentially nickname to pubkey mappings.

I'm not saying anyone should be impressed and certainly we have probably gotten more hype than deserved for what we've delivered so far, but we also need more support (programming and thought leadership), and our roadmap stretches out so it's not like we're saying here's the product judge us now.
FlowerMatt

Activity: 64

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:16:57 PM

Mongo is more of a caching store not a monolithic data store for the network. Bitcoin core uses Berkeley DB. Does that mean it's centralized? I don't get your argument.

sifter

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

My friend and I want to try and create something like this, looks like we were beaten. Embarrassed but none the less pretty sick.

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: