Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:42:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709798 times)
fvineyard

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:25:53 AM

Now that is an super smart idea that I had not thought of for my mining location in the unventilated basement man cave.

I am curious how you decided to vent outside directly? Something like a dryer vent? Any chance you could post some photos of your setup?

Thanks!

- fvineyard

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Moria843

Activity: 442
Merit: 250

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:13:45 PM

With cooling season approaching, I need to increase the efficiency of my S3+s or turn them off. I've seen sporadic discussions on best firmware to upgrade to, how to undervoltage, etc., with differing results.

Is there a thread on increasing S3+ efficiency and a "proven best" method out here?

It's not hard to test yourself with a watt meter at the wall. For every frequency wait until the fans are at the normal rate, then record the wattage at the wall and the work utility number on the miner. A simple calculation will show you what frequency provides the best use of watts to hashes. Doing it yourself also will account for the difference your power supply makes.

My best option was to vent things outside directly. Problem solved for me, and still overclocked.

My numbers currently:
OC'd at 250, WU 7,021, 399 watts. So 17.6 WU per watt consumed.

I'm an electrical engineer and have a spread sheet of measurements to determine J/GH at the wall. Looking at my last bill and with my electricity cost at 0.13/kWh and the current BTC value, I'm just breaking even or making a small profit when I factored in the reduced heating cost during the winter. Simply changing the frequency won't make a significant difference. Was hoping to change freq and also undervolt but read mixed results on that also based on firmware and other issues. I had great success using the HB-lead method to keep my S1s profitable for a long time. I haven't been back here for a while and I was hoping someone had an S3 solution.

I shut down my miners and wonder about the future of BTC when more people do the same. I know if enough do, difficulty will decrease, ... Huh

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my mine getting hot & gritty!!!
toqchista2

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:08:59 PM

worth if don't that i will buy 50 miners ?

i going to that i living mining revenue.

maybe that will be any problem that mining will canceled and The end bitcoin mining era ?? Huh ?
Moria843

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:54:18 PM

Just watched "The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin" free on Amazon Prime.

When does the "The Fall and Fall of Bitcoin" or, the empire striking back, come out  Huh

If the price goes back up then maybe we'll get "The Return of the Bitcoin Miner" for all of us who stopped mining because we're losing money.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:10:10 PM

worth if don't that i will buy 50 miners ?

i going to that i living mining revenue.

maybe that will be any problem that mining will canceled and The end bitcoin mining era ?? Huh ?

You posted this in at least 4 threads.  Please stop spamming it everywhere.

It's much more effective if you use your own thread.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:11:20 PM

Just watched "The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin" free on Amazon Prime.

When does the "The Fall and Fall of Bitcoin" or, the empire striking back, come out  Huh

If the price goes back up then maybe we'll get "The Return of the Bitcoin Miner" for all of us who stopped mining because we're losing money.

For many it's still profitable.  It takes low priced electricity and no vat.  But it still can be done.

And that documentary is very good it took a very long time.  I don't think they have mentioned a sequel.
Moria843

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:50:04 PM

I agree it was a good documentary. I just can no longer make a profit with my S3s and I'm not willing to continue investing in hardware. I still believe in BTC and will continue holding and hoping.

no141

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:10:29 PM

With cooling season approaching, I need to increase the efficiency of my S3+s or turn them off. I've seen sporadic discussions on best firmware to upgrade to, how to undervoltage, etc., with differing results.

Is there a thread on increasing S3+ efficiency and a "proven best" method out here?

It's not hard to test yourself with a watt meter at the wall. For every frequency wait until the fans are at the normal rate, then record the wattage at the wall and the work utility number on the miner. A simple calculation will show you what frequency provides the best use of watts to hashes. Doing it yourself also will account for the difference your power supply makes.

My best option was to vent things outside directly. Problem solved for me, and still overclocked.

My numbers currently:

I'm an electrical engineer and have a spread sheet of measurements to determine J/GH at the wall. Looking at my last bill and with my electricity cost at 0.13/kWh and the current BTC value, I'm just breaking even or making a small profit when I factored in the reduced heating cost during the winter. Simply changing the frequency won't make a significant difference. Was hoping to change freq and also undervolt but read mixed results on that also based on firmware and other issues. I had great success using the HB-lead method to keep my S1s profitable for a long time. I haven't been back here for a while and I was hoping someone had an S3 solution.

I shut down my miners and wonder about the future of BTC when more people do the same. I know if enough do, difficulty will decrease, ... Huh

If what you say is true, I'm wondering why people under-clock if performance per watt does not increase. So I had to test 200mhz with my own eyes.

To review, OC'd at 250, WU 7,021, 399 watts. So 17.6 WU per watt consumed. That's putting out an average of 505GH/s.
Underclocked at 200, WU 5680, 305 watts. That's 18.2 WU per watt consumed. Putting out about 406GH/s

So sure it's a little better, you save about one old bright hot incandescent light bulb from being on 24 hours a day, for a loss of about 100GH/s. That could make the difference in some people's power costs. Some people with lots of things plugged in or lights on might be able to save 100 watts from being used daily.

toqchista2

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 10:59:35 AM

s3 that is turn on and from PSU that i shut off s3 after this isn't problem ?

so , how to will turn off sometimes miner  ?so that isn;t problem
toqchista2

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 03:07:04 PM

How to will turn off miner that any problem isnt will be ?

How turn off your miner ?
Moria843

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 06:13:31 PM

My numbers currently:

If what you say is true, I'm wondering why people under-clock if performance per watt does not increase. So I had to test 200mhz with my own eyes.

To review, OC'd at 250, WU 7,021, 399 watts. So 17.6 WU per watt consumed. That's putting out an average of 505GH/s.
Underclocked at 200, WU 5680, 305 watts. That's 18.2 WU per watt consumed. Putting out about 406GH/s

So sure it's a little better, you save about one old bright hot incandescent light bulb from being on 24 hours a day, for a loss of about 100GH/s. That could make the difference in some people's power costs. Some people with lots of things plugged in or lights on might be able to save 100 watts from being used daily.

I didn't say performance per watt, or efficiency in terms of energy/hash (J/Gh) or in terms of power/hash rate (W/Gh/s) doesn't increase from underclocking (or changing the frequency). I just said it's not significant, which you confirm in your numbers above. That's why I was more interested in whether anyone had a proven technique for undervoltage, or lowering the voltage to each chip. I did this with my S1s last year and ended up reducing the J/Gh number on each by about 1/3, meaning I was getting the same hash for about 33% less energy. That is a significant efficiency improvement. On the S1s, I changed the voltage by using an HB lead pencil trace to reduce the resistance in a voltage divider circuit for each chip that led to a lower chip operating voltage. I read that you can undervolt the S3 chips much easier through a firmware switch on some of the firmware updates. But have read mixed reviews and was wondering if anyone had succeeded in making a significant efficiency jump using that technique.

no141

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:55:24 PM

My numbers currently:

I didn't say performance per watt, or efficiency in terms of energy/hash (J/Gh) or in terms of power/hash rate (W/Gh/s) doesn't increase from underclocking (or changing the frequency). I just said it's not significant, which you confirm in your numbers above. That's why I was more interested in whether anyone had a proven technique for undervoltage, or lowering the voltage to each chip. I did this with my S1s last year and ended up reducing the J/Gh number on each by about 1/3, meaning I was getting the same hash for about 33% less energy. That is a significant efficiency improvement. On the S1s, I changed the voltage by using an HB lead pencil trace to reduce the resistance in a voltage divider circuit for each chip that led to a lower chip operating voltage. I read that you can undervolt the S3 chips much easier through a firmware switch on some of the firmware updates. But have read mixed reviews and was wondering if anyone had succeeded in making a significant efficiency jump using that technique.

In the current flash that Bitmain offers, the option to change the voltage is right on the Advanced Settings tab on the Miner Configuration page. There is no simple drop-down menu like for the frequency, but you have to enter the voltage number.  Remember the default is  0.784V.

There is a thread probably that you would be interested in, I searched for it for you: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=771979.0

Moria843

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:46:03 PM

In the current flash that Bitmain offers, the option to change the voltage is right on the Advanced Settings tab on the Miner Configuration page. There is no simple drop-down menu like for the frequency, but you have to enter the voltage number.  Remember the default is  0.784V.

There is a thread probably that you would be interested in, I searched for it for you: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=771979.0

Thanks for the info. I must have been searching wrong.

aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:29:50 PM

My numbers currently:

on all 3 of my s3s the default is 0725

cgminer --bitmain-options 115200:32:8:18:218.75:1106 --bitmain-nobeeper --api-listen --api-network --bitmain-checkn2diff --bitmain-hwerror --bitmain-voltage 0725 --version-file /usr/bin/compile_time --queue 2048 --lowmem

they did say however only a few of the batches had the chip that let you adjust the voltage. they also said the newer firmware, the 1/09 one took that option out.

fvineyard

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 01:47:40 AM

OK, I need someone smarter than myself please.

Trying to enable WiFi on my S3+, and ready to give up. I must be over thinking this, as I just should not be this hard.

I have the antennae installed and finally have the WiFi working with an IP address after many attempts and scouring the threads here.

I have wired on 192.168.1.120 and WiFi on 192.168.1.220. Both via a DHCP reservation from my router. I can ping both IP's and get a response. When I unplug the ethernet cable I am no longer able to ping either IP address, even after waiting a few minutes (not timed, just my perception). I have also tried to restart the Antminer, and that still is a no go.

I have read it takes a while to connect via WiFi, so am I just not waiting long enough? I figured once I got an IP address on the WiFi interface I was set.

I really would like to get WiFi working so I can move these guys out of the basement into an area of the house that is cooled by the AC.

Thanks!

pinhead666

Activity: 265

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 02:07:45 AM

So when you're connected via both line and wifi make the settings right and save. When miner is hashing pull out rj-45 cable and wait about 10-15 min and if it doesn't beep you're still connected through wifi and good to go.IP-scanner doesn't allways find devices connected via wifi.Good luck.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 03:04:08 AM

OK, I need someone smarter than myself please.

Trying to enable WiFi on my S3+, and ready to give up. I must be over thinking this, as I just should not be this hard.

I have the antennae installed and finally have the WiFi working with an IP address after many attempts and scouring the threads here.

I have wired on 192.168.1.120 and WiFi on 192.168.1.220. Both via a DHCP reservation from my router. I can ping both IP's and get a response. When I unplug the ethernet cable I am no longer able to ping either IP address, even after waiting a few minutes (not timed, just my perception). I have also tried to restart the Antminer, and that still is a no go.

I have read it takes a while to connect via WiFi, so am I just not waiting long enough? I figured once I got an IP address on the WiFi interface I was set.

I really would like to get WiFi working so I can move these guys out of the basement into an area of the house that is cooled by the AC.

Thanks!

With wifi they don't have a antenna so it will have to be VERY close to router.  But you mention antenna is installed.  Are you sure it's working properly on antenna?

Have you tried close to router to see if it will connect? 
fvineyard

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 03:38:41 AM

Pinhead was right.

It does seem to keep mining on WiFi. I show 100% signal strength and has an IP address. Since I cannot ping it or use the web interface until I reconnect the ethernet cable I assumed it was not working.

It is in fact still mining and submitting shares after 30 minutes, so I assume it must be working. That is a good thing.

I would feel better if I could access the web interface over WiFi. Any ideas on this part? I just used the existing firewall settings "profile" for the wired connection on the WiFi connection rather than create a new one.

Thanks for the quick response. I usually just lurk and find my answers through other's questions. Nice to have you guys as a resource and for the community and interaction.
pinhead666

Activity: 265

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 04:25:05 AM

I had about 20 s3 and s1 with wifi and had the same problem. AdvancedIpScanner sometimes found some of them but no http connection thou. I did some googling but never found any good answer. I gave up and used laptop connected with rj-45 (one by one) if I had to change setup. Painful operation but so it goes  Grin.
fvineyard

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 04:28:32 AM

With 20 units I can image it was a pain!

Thanks very much for allowing me to retain my sanity  Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: