Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:11:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709823 times)
Knoxx

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:34:22 PM

Not sure if posted yet, but this may help some of the fellow miners out there that don't like the paperclip trick.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5141/psu-218/FrozenCPU_24-pin_Power_Supply_Jump_Start_Connector.html

Might be US only- not sure.

I am waiting for my 30 units still. Held up in Hong Kong the last two days Sad shipped via dhl

Knoxx/BlitzStix

worth ordering a jumper for those who might feel timid about it.
Side note-my EVGA1300 (from rakuten) came with a motherboard dummy WITH a jumper inserted. I guess they are aware who there customers are  Smiley

Nice to know. I just ordered 10 evga 1300 g2's for my setup. I won't order those from frozen.

How much did you pay per evga 1300?

I paid 195$ each.

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:46:26 PM

So! All units are hashing over 440gh (Two over 490), but only when using a cronjob to restart the cgminer service every 1/2 hour - 1hr depending on the miner.
Regardless of how long I leave any of these guys up to "stabilize", they always fall to 390-398 after 48 hours.

There's only one thing. I am noticing a rather high number of duplicate shares poolside since starting this restart routine. (surprise)
Is there a cgminer flag among the bitmain options to clear the asic of all work upon a cgminer restart? I know the A1 miners have a similar command with '--hwreset'

Restarting every 30 minutes is a bad practice.
Try replacing thermal paste grease and I think the issue will be solved.

I'm pretty aware how just how shitty it is, but unfortunately after re-pasting two units I saw a decrease in running temperatures but was still experiencing a steep drop off in hash after about 25-35 minutes. One of the units will spike back up to about 470 but never enough to average out to 440 without cgminer restarts.

I wish I could attribute this to poor labor skill on my part, but I'm just about 100% certain I don't suck at apply thermal paste. =/

what kind of thermal paste did u use ??

Ceramique
Duce

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:49:50 PM

Ok, so I posted a few days ago about my batch 2 S3.  At stock clocks I get a huge hash drop at 2-3 hours and one chip is showing a "-" where the "O" should be.   I contacted bitmain and they said to re-paste, which I did.    The paste seems do have done absolutely nothing.   I would rather not run it at 212 but that what it is at now, has anyone found a reproducible solution for the underperforming miners? 

I have one in the same situation, it just does not like anything higher than 212. I know there are others in the same situation. On the positive side they consume less power. I did everything possible to remove thermal problems and none help. Mine is a B1 so I would just let it run. The amount of time working on them takes away from production. If you are like me you just want to get it up to speed but sometimes you just have to let one go.

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:52:39 PM

Ok, so I posted a few days ago about my batch 2 S3.  At stock clocks I get a huge hash drop at 2-3 hours and one chip is showing a "-" where the "O" should be.   I contacted bitmain and they said to re-paste, which I did.    The paste seems do have done absolutely nothing.   I would rather not run it at 212 but that what it is at now, has anyone found a reproducible solution for the underperforming miners? 

I have one in the same situation, it just does not like anything higher than 212. I know there are others in the same situation. On the positive side they consume less power. I did everything possible to remove thermal problems and none help. Mine is a B1 so I would just let it run. The amount of time working on them takes away from production. If you are like me you just want to get it up to speed but sometimes you just have to let one go.

Look at my previous posts on this thread, you can follow my saga. My personal solution has been to institute scheduled restarts. I am now between 460-490 for about 3 days now and have the accepted shares to show.

Dupes are a bit high, but that's to be expected with this config.
Duce

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:55:38 PM

Can someone let me know what the Antminer S3 status showing -o-o-o-o -o-o-o-o -o-o-o-o -ooo-o-o  means?  Only one chain is showing this.  The other is oooooooo oooooooo .  Reason I ask is my Hash rate is 345 average.  Should be higher.  

that is a bad chain.  

fixes may be:
 1) lower freq setting 212.5 has helped
2) reboot via gui  may help
3) make sure you have a good psu

If the above are not working, go back to this thread and read last two days posts.
Your problem will get solved.

My Guess is power supply.  It's a cheap 520 watt from Best Buy.  Will try a Corsair 750w later today.  

How do I lower frequency?  Currently at 218.75.

Highly recommending to immediately replace your power supply with a new good quality one like you said.
I will recommend you to buy an 800Watts power supply unit for you instead of the 750Watts PSU. Keep and eye on the single +12V rail.
Why you want to lower your mining power? Some do for some particular reason like placing in office and so.
Underclocking is simple, uncomment lower frequency lines(3) to select lower frequency.

Ok got the new power supply.  Corsair 750M.  Still getting the same -o-o-o-o -o-o-o-o -o-o-o-o -ooo-o-o for Chain 2.  Any other tips?  Can the Antminer be a bad one?

Post a screenshot of your S3 Miner Stats page.
[IM]https://i.imgur.com/dPdNW5y.jpg[/img]

It seems like a thermal paste issue. But before doing anything do a firmware update or factory reset and check.
If its not working, open up the cover of your Antminer S3. Look for any loose cables.
Then swap your cables which run from control board to each blades.
After 5 minutes check the miner stats page, if its working, you are lucky.
Else if, there are any changes from your previous image post the new image.
This time if its not working next step is to try a thermal paste replacement.
I expect this will solve your issue.

allcoinminer is correct in that your GUI indicates 32 ASICs for the one blade. Someone early on had the same problem that I believe was resolved with step No.1, firmware update. Curious to know if that does correct your problem.
Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:55:58 PM

Look at my previous posts on this thread, you can follow my saga. My personal solution has been to institute scheduled restarts. I am now between 460-490 for about 3 days now and have the accepted shares to show.

What are you using for the restarts schedule?  It appears the problem with mine is that BOTH a hard reboot and GUI reboot are necessary to get my miner back on track.

visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:05:02 PM

Not sure if posted yet, but this may help some of the fellow miners out there that don't like the paperclip trick.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5141/psu-218/FrozenCPU_24-pin_Power_Supply_Jump_Start_Connector.html

Might be US only- not sure.

I am waiting for my 30 units still. Held up in Hong Kong the last two days Sad shipped via dhl

Knoxx/BlitzStix

worth ordering a jumper for those who might feel timid about it.
Side note-my EVGA1300 (from rakuten) came with a motherboard dummy WITH a jumper inserted. I guess they are aware who there customers are  Smiley

Nice to know. I just ordered 10 evga 1300 g2's for my setup. I won't order those from frozen.

How much did you pay per evga 1300?

They're about ~$200 everywhere.

No way. pay with bitcoin at newegg and they are about $160. Awesome deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011&cm_re=evga_1300-_-17-438-011-_-Product

Jenna is in CA - that discount doesn't work.

Plus, you don't need to nitpic on a couple of dollars. I literally just said it's about ~$200, which is what the price will be after tax/discounts or whatever.  Wink

Would 2 cx750 be good to over clock 2 AntMiner s3

If you meant one dedicated CX750 for each S3, then it's enough.  In fact, it's more than enough considering that I was able to clock the S3 at 250M with a CX500 without any issues whatsoever.  Some figures on my S3/CX500 test here.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:21:50 PM

So! All units are hashing over 440gh (Two over 490), but only when using a cronjob to restart the cgminer service every 1/2 hour - 1hr depending on the miner.
Regardless of how long I leave any of these guys up to "stabilize", they always fall to 390-398 after 48 hours.

There's only one thing. I am noticing a rather high number of duplicate shares poolside since starting this restart routine. (surprise)
Is there a cgminer flag among the bitmain options to clear the asic of all work upon a cgminer restart? I know the A1 miners have a similar command with '--hwreset'

I'm pretty aware how just how shitty it is, but unfortunately after re-pasting two units I saw a decrease in running temperatures but was still experiencing a steep drop off in hash after about 25-35 minutes. One of the units will spike back up to about 470 but never enough to average out to 440 without cgminer restarts.

I wish I could attribute this to poor labor skill on my part, but I'm just about 100% certain I don't suck at apply thermal paste. =/

Ceramique

ok.. do not use AS5 thermal paste and do not place
the plate upside down like this idiot tried to do below:

check your heat sink is placed right way:

with all those "-" it looks like you have a cooling issue on that blade.
look at your plate did you place it upside down by accident ??
Fahlcor

Activity: 139

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:37:56 PM

Quick question.  Some of you have showed using a monitor software to watch all the miners at one time.  how do I get that?

Is there a link somewhere?

Thanks

Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:40:46 PM

Quick question.  Some of you have showed using a monitor software to watch all the miners at one time.  how do I get that?

Thanks

You could try MultiMiner

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:47:35 PM

Ceramique

http://i62.tinypic.com/k9bapy.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2l9nubs.jpg

Ha!  Classic.

I wonder if re-torquing the heat sink screws first was ever attempted to make sure they are snug before going through with the elaborate heat sink reseating gymnastics (and the lost precious hashing time that goes along with it).  Most of the time, that's all what's needed (never have had to reseat heat sinks to date).  That's all I did with the S3s as it was with the other ASIC devices (BFL, AsicMiner, Blue Fury, AntMiner, etc.) in the past.  That's pretty much S.O.P. upon receiving a new (or not so new Wink) ASIC device.

jpchrist

Activity: 174

16Q3R8NAfK63DvkTUGgLdPScyMU8uSAJUH

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:47:55 PM

Thanks

Booya!  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596178.0
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:56:38 PM

Ceramique

http://i62.tinypic.com/k9bapy.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2l9nubs.jpg

Ha!  Classic.

I wonder if re-torquing the heat sink screws first was ever attempted to make sure they are snug before going through with the elaborate heat sink reseating gymnastics (and the lost precious hashing time that goes along with it).  Most of the time, that's all what's needed (never have had to reseat heat sinks to date).  That's all I did with the S3s as it was with the other ASIC devices (BFL, AsicMiner, Blue Fury, AntMiner, etc.) in the past.  That's pretty much S.O.P. upon receiving a new (or not so new Wink) ASIC device.

that first screen show a heat sink placed upside down after replacing stock thermal paste ..
if the heat sink is placed upside down then it does not make contact w the asic chips..
of course that means the asic chips will not cool well and therefore not hash well .
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:13:23 PM

Corsair CX500 = $29.99 (after rebate - expires 8/11/14) currently at the Egg + 10% BTC payment discount.  Also, when available, additional instant discounts with Promo Codes (appears just below the product listing title on a week to week basis):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3919

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:21:08 PM

Ok, so I posted a few days ago about my batch 2 S3.  At stock clocks I get a huge hash drop at 2-3 hours and one chip is showing a "-" where the "O" should be.   I contacted bitmain and they said to re-paste, which I did.    The paste seems do have done absolutely nothing.   I would rather not run it at 212 but that what it is at now, has anyone found a reproducible solution for the underperforming miners?  

What are you using for the restarts schedule?  It appears the problem with mine is that BOTH a hard reboot and GUI reboot are necessary to get my miner back on track.

Hey, I also have one miner that (only working at 212.5) does great on restart for 24-36 hr, averaging ~430Gh, then goes to 400 and stays there.
I would like to use the scheduled tasks trick, but there is already a string of code there (in scheduled tasks):
Code:
*/3 *  *  *  *    /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
should a put the string like this
Code:
0 1 * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer restart
below it to do a once in 24hr (at 1am) restart or replace whatever is there already with a new string? what that does anyway: cgminer-monitor?
MinersAnonymous

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:33:31 PM

Under my account I sent a message on bitmaintech.com and now my message options have disappeared, has this happened to anyone before? Please help, thank you!
bluebottle73

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:52:51 PM

Under my account I sent a message on bitmaintech.com and now my message options have disappeared, has this happened to anyone before? Please help, thank you!

Must be a change on the site.  The message options are gone for me too.  I had attempted to communicate with them via that method before, but it wasn't until I sent an email instead that I got anything back.

JennaK

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:18:09 AM

A cx600 would be useless to over clock a s3! I need 2 cx750 to have two overclocked s3s
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:20:22 AM

Must be a change on the site.  The message options are gone for me too.  I had attempted to communicate with them via that method before, but it wasn't until I sent an email instead that I got anything back.

Gone from mine as well. Did you e-mail address did you get support from them? I need to ask them about a dead miner I have. Thanks!
bluebottle73

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:23:05 AM

Gone from mine as well. Did you e-mail address did you get support from them? I need to ask them about a dead miner I have. Thanks!

I sent my request for tech support to info@bitmaintech.com and got a reasonably fast reply, though it took several days before they finally sent me a shipping label for me to send back the faulty control board.
Pages: « 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: