Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:46:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709800 times)
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 02:27:53 AM

Today the price of batch 5 for the S3 when from 0.64 BTC to 0.66 BTC and then a few hours later to 0.68 BTC.

Even though difficulty keeps increasing, this price increase does not make any sense.
based on https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty the next difficulty increase will be over 5%

The only thing I can think of that may have caused the increase is that the S3 is really priced in dollars converted to Bitcoins, because the Bitcoin value drop from about $600 to $560, then Bitmain to continue receiving the equivalent in dollars increase the bitcoin price.

But if this is the case that attitude is wrong because the miners do not generate dollars they generate Bitcoins, and that is a clear way  of reducing the ROI for the miners, thats like saying we are having a loss ( really it is having less profit not a loss) and we need to increase our profit but we do not care about your profit, and that is not ethical and creates a loss-win situation.

The correct attitude for Bitmain would be Bitcoin is going down, well the miner is also generating less, if he wins we win, but it seems that is not the line of thought.

I worry to some degree since I have seen changes in attitude, for example KNC last year they look like they were a great company and by a sequence of small changes they completely transformed themselves from good to bad, they simply do not care about the miner and only a year ago they gave a completely different impression.

Right now Bitmain is the best, but I have seen changes that do not look good and if this continues they could become the next KNC, for example when Bitcoin drops the price of S3 increases which makes no sence for the miner since the S3 is a bitcoin generator the only case which could justify a price increase where to be if the actual cost of making the miner increased but that is not the case, a short time ago they were selling from stock, now they are pre sales, 1 or 2 week pre sales but nevertheless pre sales, and when the s4 is releasing this time frame could increase, to lets say 4 weeks, so that is also a step in a bad direction.

If Bitmain whats to stay on top, they must think and always have an environment that creates a win win situation for for them and for the miner.

They should go back to sell from stock, and ship within 48 hours.
They should drop the price accordingly to the difficulty increases, 10% difficulty increase then 10% drop in price, but should not try to profit at the expense of the miner.
They should always take into account that the miner must ROI, not that he/she may ROI.
As of now the S3 may ROI, nut that it will ROI, there is a risk, that risk should be shared.

Bitmain is in a unique position that they could go to being the best or take the same route that was taken by KNC, only time will tell, but recent indications like the price increase and still no selling from stock tells me they are taking the wrong route, the same patch that was taken by KNC, but it is not late we all make mistakes, I just hope things improve.

Today I like Bitmain, just as I liked KNC a year ago, but because I see a similar pattern I worry, since only a year ago KNC was like Bitmain is today, I just hope that a year later Bitmain does not become like KNC is today, I did not mention BFL since that is an extreme case it is really hard to be that bad.

I hope if Bitmain can clarify if the S3 are internally really prices in dollars and then the price converted to Bitcoins, since I really do not see what could have caused that price increase, I was actually expecting a price drop due to the 1 or 2 week window of pre order delay and the current difficulty increase.

This last price increase is at the expense of the miner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:36:04 AM

It's based on dollars. It's all based on dollars. No miner is sold in relation to ROI. They have already bought the chips and paid for pcb and parts and they add that to the max amount they think the customer will pay. The good thing about Bitmain is they don't hold onto to prepaid miners as long as most of the other guys do. So they take a loss on some of the bitcoin they could make using customers miners.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:40:57 AM

$ and that perhaps the expected results from network difficulty and competitive hardware that is available for orders now and shipping within a week.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671189.msg8104085#msg8104085
dulac97

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:49:44 AM

The pricing does make you scratch your head when batch 1 miners sold weeks ago for .692 BTC ( .75 BTC after 7.7% discount)  Yes, I know BTC was higher then....

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 02:51:53 AM

Today the price of batch 5 for the S3 when from 0.64 BTC to 0.66 BTC and then a few hours later to 0.68 BTC.

Even though difficulty keeps increasing, this price increase does not make any sense.
based on https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty the next difficulty increase will be over 5%

The only thing I can think of that may have caused the increase is that the S3 is really priced in dollars converted to Bitcoins, because the Bitcoin value drop from about $600 to $560, then Bitmain to continue receiving the equivalent in dollars increase the bitcoin price.

But if this is the case that attitude is wrong because the miners do not generate dollars they generate Bitcoins, and that is a clear way  of reducing the ROI for the miners, thats like saying we are having a loss ( really it is having less profit not a loss) and we need to increase our profit but we do not care about your profit, and that is not ethical and creates a loss-win situation.

The correct attitude for Bitmain would be Bitcoin is going down, well the miner is also generating less, if he wins we win, but it seems that is not the line of thought.

I worry to some degree since I have seen changes in attitude, for example KNC last year they look like they were a great company and by a sequence of small changes they completely transformed themselves from good to bad, they simply do not care about the miner and only a year ago they gave a completely different impression.

Right now Bitmain is the best, but I have seen changes that do not look good and if this continues they could become the next KNC, for example when Bitcoin drops the price of S3 increases which makes no sence for the miner since the S3 is a bitcoin generator the only case which could justify a price increase where to be if the actual cost of making the miner increased but that is not the case, a short time ago they were selling from stock, now they are pre sales, 1 or 2 week pre sales but nevertheless pre sales, and when the s4 is releasing this time frame could increase, to lets say 4 weeks, so that is also a step in a bad direction.

If Bitmain whats to stay on top, they must think and always have an environment that creates a win win situation for for them and for the miner.

They should drop the price accordingly to the difficulty increases, 10% difficulty increase then 10% drop in price, but should not try to profit at the expense of the miner.
They should always take into account that the miner must ROI, not that he/she may ROI.
As of now the S3 may ROI, nut that it will ROI, there is a risk, that risk should be shared.

Bitmain is in a unique position that they could go to being the best or take the same route that was taken by KNC, only time will tell, but recent indications like the price increase and still no selling from stock tells me they are taking the wrong route, the same patch that was taken by KNC, but it is not late we all make mistakes, I just hope things improve.

Today I like Bitmain, just as I liked KNC a year ago, but because I see a similar pattern I worry, since only a year ago KNC was like Bitmain is today, I just hope that a year later Bitmain does not become like KNC is today, I did not mention BFL since that is an extreme case it is really hard to be that bad.

I hope if Bitmain can clarify if the S3 are internally really prices in dollars and then the price converted to Bitcoins, since I really do not see what could have caused that price increase, I was actually expecting a price drop due to the 1 or 2 week window of pre order delay and the current difficulty increase.

+ 1.01 (BTC)... Grin

You are completely correct...BitMain IS changing their behavior ...in the wrong direction...IMHO too... Wink

It's all started with S2...

ZiG
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:13:15 AM

Does Bitmain offer free shipping to U.S.?
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:19:56 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 03:57:41 AM by visdude

Question to someone adept in thermal paste application:

1. If you take the heat sink off and see that paste is applied OK by Bitmain, can you just slowly plop the heat sink back, or you HAVE to clean up and reapply new paste?
2. How much of AS5 to apply? I tried to do it on the first machine (too early to know the results) and you can actually spread it very thin with a rasor blade or exacto knife.
3. When it stabilizes after the application as far as thermal transmission is concerned? AS5 manual talks about something happening in ~25hr and something else in ~200hr.

1. Not advisable to reuse old thermal compound when reseating a heat sink.  Always start with a fresh compound.  Remove old TIM with pure anhydrous isopropyl alcohol (99+%).
2. Enough to cover as much surface area on the chip as possible when the heat sink is finally seated without excessive surplus TIM squeezed out along the sides of the chip.
3. Several thermal cycles (i.e. turning off the device and letting it cool down and start again) in addition to 200 hours of curing time for optimum AS5 performance (would probably improve by a couple of degrees C assuming the heat sink is seated properly with the right amount of TIM).

googlemaster1

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:20:16 AM

You guys had plenty of time to place an order before the bitcoin price tanked.  Seriously stop complaining and acting as if the sky is falling if they raise their prices.  If you are a serious miner, you already have your S3's, or ordered them already.  If you are a casual miner, you shouldn't care about .01-.1 price fluctuations.

I'm getting really tired of people coming in this thread and flaming the only reliable mining company in the business that constantly gets better and better.  Seriously.  Stop it.

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
sjc1490

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:22:00 AM

Received B3 hashing away normally, but never received B2   Cry Cry Cry , emailed bitmain but only thing so far is saying their complaining to UPS ... but still nothing, losing so much  Cry Cry Cry

- Tracking # : snip

WHY ME!

I would caution you about posting your tracking number as earlier it was discussed that in the past shipments had been redirected for delivery.

Says the guy who quoted the original post verbatim.   Roll Eyes

Thanks, if you were the OP, I do try to remember the actual useful info posted here. Smiley

BTC ADDRESS: 12Qwd8VKLQ4xF44ytHXBpCAKuF9VknG4X2
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:48:48 AM

+ 1.01 (BTC)... Grin

You are completely correct...BitMain IS changing their behavior ...in the wrong direction...IMHO too... Wink

ZiG

Well, as long as there are hardware geeks out there who patronize/buy these products just so they can have their shiny new toys to play with at any cost regardless of ROI outcome, Bitmain does not have any incentive to set prices that would be fair to the miners.  They can pretty much do anything what they want because the community allows it.

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:49:13 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 04:00:16 AM by 9600

You guys had plenty of time to place an order before the bitcoin price tanked.  Seriously stop complaining and acting as if the sky is falling if they raise their prices.  If you are a serious miner, you already have your S3's, or ordered them already.  If you are a casual miner, you shouldn't care about .01-.1 price fluctuations.

I'm getting really tired of people coming in this thread and flaming the only reliable mining company in the business that constantly gets better and better.  Seriously.  Stop it.

This. My bet is that a bunch of SCRYPT miners are dumping their hardware and jumping ship. They're all CONSTANTLY being screwed, you'd think $10-$20 wouldn't make someone sweat...

And I'd love for someone to show me a foundry or PCB manufacturer that takes BTC.
If you want Bitmain to lower their prices, they would undoubtedly have to dump untold amounts of BTC in an effort to shore up fiat resources.

That alone could negatively effect your fiat ROI in a much more severe way.
jfederkins

Activity: 296
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:19:09 AM

As far as I can tell, Bitmain is in the business to make a profit, this is not a hobby for them. Since this is a free market, they can charge as much as they want, and they can change their prices as often as they like. No one is forcing you to buy a miner from Bitmain. As far as the price of a miner tied to bitcoin, that would only be true if bitcoin was the ONLY currency used worldwide. But as we all know, that is not the case. They could just as easily accept payment via CC/Paypal/TT, but I think they only accept bitcoin as a way to show their support for the main currency their hardware is used to mine. Since their miners will work on any SHA-256 currency, those that mine these other alt currencies should be complaining that they have to pay in bitcoin, if they follow your reasoning. Until bitcoin is accepted for ALL types of monetary exchanges, bitcoins will be converted to the local currency for local use.
R4v37

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:34:14 AM

FYI, the btc price of Bitmain follows the price in USD
bentleyrosco

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:08:29 AM

Anyone know what the new product on Bitmaintechs website is??

Antminer Jumper Switch??? MOQ 500 Units so its for resellers.

Duce

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:15:18 AM

It is a PSU power switch used vice a jumper wire.
R4v37

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:23:02 AM

bad design...  Shocked

its better do design it like the add2psu

look at the 24 soldered pins...
i think it'll electrocute us if we're not carefully
and it'll burn the PSU or maybe will burn u too  Cheesy

i dont think its a good idea to design it like that
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:27:45 AM

It's a little piece of a paper clip that will make Bitmain richer.

dance191

Activity: 261

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:28:32 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2016, 04:19:01 AM by dance191

Nahh, I think I will stick with staples.  You can get 1,000 for $2.00.  But the jumper they are offering does have a cool red light, I am sure people will buy a ton.  I can see people justifying the price already...

Bitmain, you guys are great, please focus on the stuff you do best! Smiley
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:28:57 AM

+ 1.01 (BTC)... Grin

ZiG

This kind of business model will harm BTC in general. With their policy to accept only BTC, but adjust their price according to exchange rate, they are harming the equilibrium in BTC/USD supply and demand. The reason of BTC going down last couple of days, is because someone is selling his BTC continuously. Maybe not only Bitmain, maybe there are other vendors, who do the same, I am not aware, but still, this can lead to no good for BTC.

If they need dollars, let them accept dollars. But they take our coins and convert them to FIAT. This is no good at all, in a long run.
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:35:05 AM

B4 order from 2014-07-24 20:27 still "unshipped"... however Bitmain announced that B5 is already shipping?!
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: