Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:28:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 262 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ultracoin] [Est. Feb 2014] ~ ASIC Resistant & Ultrafast 6 Second Transactions!  (Read 380961 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MightSellIt

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 01:54:51 PM

It's quiet because we have nothing to discuss. We are all waitin for our awful dev to leave so Steven can get someone in who knows what's he's doing. In the mean time we just sit and wait . . . What else can is investors do? We have done our bit and invested heavily in this project like the owners wanted.

If you take on the roll as an altcoin dev you don't do it for 20minutes a month as a hobby. People such as myself have invested $15k+ in this project.

Ultracoin needs to attract more buyers/community members. we had them but due to bad Dev work and management they have gone. a financial investor needs to be found! All top 10 coins have millions. We had the unique fast transaction speed. That was a very attractive selling point!
Devs are busy with accumulaton of those cheap coins. When they buy enough they will release some news and pump the price. Pretty simple.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 03:50:13 PM

It's quiet because we have nothing to discuss. We are all waitin for our awful dev to leave so Steven can get someone in who knows what's he's doing. In the mean time we just sit and wait . . . What else can is investors do? We have done our bit and invested heavily in this project like the owners wanted.

If you take on the roll as an altcoin dev you don't do it for 20minutes a month as a hobby. People such as myself have invested $15k+ in this project.

Ultracoin needs to attract more buyers/community members. we had them but due to bad Dev work and management they have gone. a financial investor needs to be found! All top 10 coins have millions. We had the unique fast transaction speed. That was a very attractive selling point!
Devs are busy with accumulaton of those cheap coins. When they buy enough they will release some news and pump the price. Pretty simple.

You really think the devs are that smart when they can't even push a decent difficulty retarget?

Not your keys, not your coins!
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 06:52:59 PM

There's no volume at all and no devs! Nobody is buying. Not at the levels you are talking about.

nanoprobe
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Traveling in subspace

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 05:51:54 PM

I started with this coin on day 1 and have watched all the ups, downs, drama, whatever. IMHO there seems to be no future for UTC. Hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen much lately to change what's painfully obvious. Good luck all.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.
Never look back, something might be gaining on you.
funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:23:55 PM

Steven, give us some good news or any news TBH
usukan
Legendary

Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 07:58:39 AM

I started with this coin on day 1 and have watched all the ups, downs, drama, whatever. IMHO there seems to be no future for UTC. Hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen much lately to change what's painfully obvious. Good luck all.

I dont reckon its over yet but admit its not healthy at present.

New Devs and some momentum this year should kick start things again.

Shame about Cryptsy but Bittrex and others will take over.

Happy New Year everyone

Cheers - usukan

--

--
bret

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:12:27 AM

You really think the devs are that smart when they can't even push a decent difficulty retarget?

Why on God's green earth was a custom difficulty adjustment algorithm ever even used when there are so many tried and true ones to choose from? The algorithms are all open source. Why roll our own with absolutely no testing and worse, no quick recourse when things went bad?

Either I am completely misguided in this subject or someone made a big mistake.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 04:16:34 PM

I was bored so here's a basic visualization of the last 200 blocks (1635528-1635728) and the time between them (PoW+PoS together):

The first part of the graph is a flash mining period where the difficulty is way too low with 2-5 seconds between blocks and the spikes are when the difficulty is way too high.
The highest time between two blocks being 7205 seconds or two hours.
These 200 blocks were generated in 8.6 hours.

The problem is the difficulty retarget is too slow to change (as in, it waits too many blocks before it changes and then it changes way to much) and it's predictable.
Miners not mining during high difficulty periods (understandably so) make things worse.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Beave162

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:31:43 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2016, 01:23:50 AM by Beave162

I was bored so here's a basic visualization of the last 200 blocks (1635528-1635728) and the time between them (PoW+PoS together):

The first part of the graph is a flash mining period where the difficulty is way too low with 2-5 seconds between blocks and the spikes are when the difficulty is way too high.

The problem is the difficulty retarget is too slow to change (as in, it waits too many blocks before it changes and then it changes way to much) and it's predictable.
Miners not mining during high difficulty periods (understandably so) make things worse.

Someone needs to fix this issue who isn't rapture or Kracko and who will do it solely to benefit UTC as opposed to taking payments for it. I know I will be shouted down as a troll and my warnings and feedback ignored per usual.

YAC is now solidly above UTC in marketcap. YAC never had a self-appointed "management team" who begged for donations to take trips to Vegas and Miami. There is a difference between good promotion and bad promotion btw. I could go on about the contradictory and wrong approach of centralized manipulation in crypto, but there is no point now to do that here.

I want to say I have been right almost as much as rapture or Kracko has been wrong. However, it is really about being open-minded as opposed to this mentality of "I am the self-appointed leader, and it is my way or the highway."

Pretty sure it is just UTC difficulty algo being too sensitive and 'correcting' too far either side of optimum.  Things seem to get a lot more twitchy at these low low N15+ POW diffs.  Also as a POS/POW hybrid adjusting teh difficulty is even more complicated as the POW diff is in feedback with the POS diff so that a weighting between the two is maintained.  I don't feel like looking it up but I have a strong hunch that the YAC difficulty adjustment settings are not as sensitive so you will not see as much oscillation in difficulty if you are trying to compare the two coins.

Yeah, the Peercoin exponential retarget is much more precise.  And of course, what scrypt-chacha folks are used to seeing behind a network rate.  I definitely prefer the stability this retarget brings, but since it only uses the last two blocks it's vulnerable to time manipulation.

Digishield can be oscillated more.  It tends to overshoot a bit at the extremes.  But while it swings more than before, the blocks still have an acceptable spacing over time.   It appears to scale up nicely- Dogecoin doesn't appear to having any issues with it.  I like the asymmetric rise/fall.  Being able to correct downward faster than upward was a positive to making the coin more available to our dedicated miners by quickly recovering from those difficulty levels that leave the chain stuck.  It's less affected from time manipulation.  But, at the difficulty lows and the highs the network hash rate seems to go beyond the actual a bit when it overshoots.

I was hoping someone else would have some input on this good discussion...

I'm not smart enough to tackle how to strike the right balance with the difficulty adjustments. I know it has been a complaint with YAC in the past where it takes a couple weeks for the difficulty to adjust appropriately after the NFactor change. I feel this issue needs to be investigated because I don't think these difficulty swings are good. As a miner, I could just jump on when it is low and leave when it is high--maximizing my profits while hurting UTC. Am I missing something?

Kracko, I still don't understand why you are punishing miners in order to balance your two pools while the network is completely unbalanced. Has there been a fork now? Is that why Cryptsy has UTC under maintenance?

Meanwhile, it seems UTC will soon no longer have the largest marketcap for scrypt-chacha. And the coin that will be ahead of UTC has only one working pool. I am a big fan of decentralization, but the cost-benefit analysis of what you are doing is clear. Besides, that 3% takeaway from miners for the 'dev' fund becomes pretty meaningless as the price continues to fall. Just my thoughts...

Duly noted.  Sorry you feel that way, but yet again, the retarget is going to stay as it is.  In my mind, a little bounciness is preferable to leaving your miners with an overly high difficulty for a couple weeks.  Be it time manipulation or intermittent miners, there will be a fast recovery.

The only one making an issue of the pools is you.  There are no forks that I'm aware of.  And you would have to ask Cryptsy, we haven't published any changes in production since the last release.

May the best coin win.

YaCoin: YL5kf54wPPXKsXd5T18xCaNkyUsS1DgY7z 
BitCoin: 14PFbLyUdTyxZg3V8hnvj5VXkx3dhthmDj
bret

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 01:16:18 AM

Someone needs to fix this issue who isn't rapture or Kracko and who will do it solely to benefit UTC as opposed to taking payments for it. I know I will be shouted down as a troll and my warnings and feedback ignored per usual.

YAC is not solidly above UTC in marketcap. YAC never had a self-appointed "management team" who begged for donations to take trips to Vegas and Miami. There is a difference between good promotion and bad promotion btw. I could go on about the contradictory and wrong approach of centralized manipulation in crypto, but there is no point now to do that here.

I want to say I have been right almost as much as rapture or Kracko has been wrong. However, it is really about being open-minded as opposed to this mentality of "I am the self-appointed leader, and it is my way or the highway."

Pretty sure it is just UTC difficulty algo being too sensitive and 'correcting' too far either side of optimum.  Things seem to get a lot more twitchy at these low low N15+ POW diffs.  Also as a POS/POW hybrid adjusting teh difficulty is even more complicated as the POW diff is in feedback with the POS diff so that a weighting between the two is maintained.  I don't feel like looking it up but I have a strong hunch that the YAC difficulty adjustment settings are not as sensitive so you will not see as much oscillation in difficulty if you are trying to compare the two coins.

Yeah, the Peercoin exponential retarget is much more precise.  And of course, what scrypt-chacha folks are used to seeing behind a network rate.  I definitely prefer the stability this retarget brings, but since it only uses the last two blocks it's vulnerable to time manipulation.

Digishield can be oscillated more.  It tends to overshoot a bit at the extremes.  But while it swings more than before, the blocks still have an acceptable spacing over time.   It appears to scale up nicely- Dogecoin doesn't appear to having any issues with it.  I like the asymmetric rise/fall.  Being able to correct downward faster than upward was a positive to making the coin more available to our dedicated miners by quickly recovering from those difficulty levels that leave the chain stuck.  It's less affected from time manipulation.  But, at the difficulty lows and the highs the network hash rate seems to go beyond the actual a bit when it overshoots.

I was hoping someone else would have some input on this good discussion...

I'm not smart enough to tackle how to strike the right balance with the difficulty adjustments. I know it has been a complaint with YAC in the past where it takes a couple weeks for the difficulty to adjust appropriately after the NFactor change. I feel this issue needs to be investigated because I don't think these difficulty swings are good. As a miner, I could just jump on when it is low and leave when it is high--maximizing my profits while hurting UTC. Am I missing something?

Kracko, I still don't understand why you are punishing miners in order to balance your two pools while the network is completely unbalanced. Has there been a fork now? Is that why Cryptsy has UTC under maintenance?

Meanwhile, it seems UTC will soon no longer have the largest marketcap for scrypt-chacha. And the coin that will be ahead of UTC has only one working pool. I am a big fan of decentralization, but the cost-benefit analysis of what you are doing is clear. Besides, that 3% takeaway from miners for the 'dev' fund becomes pretty meaningless as the price continues to fall. Just my thoughts...

Duly noted.  Sorry you feel that way, but yet again, the retarget is going to stay as it is.  In my mind, a little bounciness is preferable to leaving your miners with an overly high difficulty for a couple weeks.  Be it time manipulation or intermittent miners, there will be a fast recovery.

The only one making an issue of the pools is you.  There are no forks that I'm aware of.  And you would have to ask Cryptsy, we haven't published any changes in production since the last release.

May the best coin win.

I don't know enough to tackle this myself, but I am a solid programmer would be willing to work with someone who does know more about the theory and various re-targeting algorithms to implement a fix.
Roister01

Activity: 139

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:28:36 AM

Is this lovely idea going to die a slow, lingering death now?

No news doesn't sound like good news this time... Undecided
usukan
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:44:35 PM

Well now that Cryptsy's gone Bittrex seems the next best alternative

https://bittrex.com/Market/?MarketName=BTC-UTC

Will UTC die?  Interesting questions.

Basically if Steven and a new dev don't show up soon - I think another group of community members may just take over the coin and get it back on track.

Have a quick look over Coinmarketcap
https://coinmarketcap.com/

its a pretty nasty time to be in most alts - so dont lose sleep over current UTC price.

UTC's still got a pulse - but its weak for sure.

I think its called an induced coma.

--

--
funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:10:24 PM

there are many of us that take a look on here once and a while. I think if Ultracoin ironed out the small issues it has we will see a huge turn in community activity and marketcap.
Roister01

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 10:38:31 PM

Thanks folks...

Usukan, if Steven and/or a dev don't sort this out, how does the community go about taking over the coin etc? I noticed a few posts ago someone offering their computer services to help out, but noone seems to have taken him up on it. What about the codes for everything, who has them?
usukan
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:57:57 PM

Thanks folks...

Usukan, if Steven and/or a dev don't sort this out, how does the community go about taking over the coin etc? I noticed a few posts ago someone offering their computer services to help out, but noone seems to have taken him up on it. What about the codes for everything, who has them?

I believe the code is all open source on Github - between kracko/ultracoin2, dx11 and ziggy909 etc going back to earlier versions in bumface days.

Steven and the team (new dev/s) are best placed to sort things out - for which I suggest we give them some time to reveal their plan and execute it - but if not, somebody will step in and arrange the restructure required.

--

--
usukan
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 02:26:46 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2016, 10:08:06 AM by usukan

and wallet version v0.7.4.1-g-9-g23ef1a4-beta is still staking ok as of today

somebody here was saying its not working since Nov - but post vanished now - but staking is working

22 stakes in approx 6 hrs so far on one wallet - only 1 orphan

--

--
Grim

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:44:46 AM

fix the difficulty retarget

Ultracoin is half of the day the SLOWEST confirming coin in existence. (ULTRAslow)
Roister01

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 06:40:30 PM

Same here...the wallet and staking seem to be working fine...

Is the difficulty retargetting issue getting any better, or not?
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 11:00:52 PM

I was wrong. My ultracoin wallet is staking fine. Apologises

sambiohazard

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 10:21:15 AM

Its staking fine but its calculations of time to stake are rendered wrong because we no longer have 30 seconds blocks but rather 2 hour blocks. That makes people think there is something wrong with staking. It says 25 mins but what it really means approx 50 blocks so it might not stake for hours due to that. Am i right? If not please correct me.
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 262 »
  Print  

Jump to: