Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:27:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 262 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ultracoin] [Est. Feb 2014] ~ ASIC Resistant & Ultrafast 6 Second Transactions!  (Read 380961 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Beave162

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 03:40:00 AM

Wouldn't botnets would make a comeback once CPUs gain relevance again?  It seems like it would be better to stay in GPU realm, but still apart from ASICS.  The serious miners won't keep their GPUs, of course- they'll upgrade as long as it is profitable to do so and with a reasonable ROI.   Advances in technology could easily nullify advantages in both staying at 15 or continuing down the normal progression.  Who knows how tedious it will be for even desktops to download a few million blocks at NF20.  As to who would better poised at that time?  Who knows.  6 years is a long time.  At this time we have the flexibility to change, not being tied down by a huge crowd.  The biggest thing here is creating our own identity.  Right now there really isn't that much differentiating our coins, except for a few wallet changes, art, the retarget and updates and refinements.

From what I've observed every shift in nFactor has resulted in fewer miners as the schedule progresses.  A factor changes the average miner gets frustrated that his cards are no longer hashing at the rate they were before, but don't always come to the realization that everyone else is similarly affected and that their total share of the pie doesn't really change that much.  They get hung up on the hashing numbers.  Currently we are at 40 workers between UTC and UBP pools- basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what.  We would prefer to increase that number.  We believe locking in the nFactor would be a positive step in that direction.  We would be poised to avoid that shift in nFactor which has to me always seemed like a train approaching a cliff.

Who is "We" in "We believe". Also, "basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what" has a negative connotation?

Hypothetically, if UTC is at NF20 right now, and UTC is mined at better hashrates and efficiency with most CPUs compared to GPUs, your concern over setting changes would be moot, correct? Have you considered 'fast-forwarding' the NFactor changes?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are coins out there that are geared for the higher-end GPUs, such as the 290x. These coins are considered 'asic-resistant' in the same way UTC would be 'asic-resistant' frozen at NF15, correct? Asic-resistant with the operative term being 'resistant' and not 'proof'. And does anyone know the distribution of graphics cards enough to be able to pick and choose which ones the coin should be geared toward in order to reach out to the most miners? Is it simply based on cost per card?

In my opinion, the burden of proof SHOULD be on the ones wanting to change. The argument for not hard-forking should always have the higher ground because the implication of a few people deciding a coin should be hard-forked with every little theoretical nuisance is harmful. On the other hand, the marketcap and lack-of-adoption is such that it wouldn't a big problem I feel. But look at what has happened to VertCoin! It will likely be surpassed by a scrypt-chacha coin very soon, and it seemed to have a lot of momentum until it went away from Scrypt-N for fear of asics. Bottomline, you are making assumptions. Bottomline, no one knows enough to say absolutely what will happen to mining with the next NFactor changes. We only know that no one knows, and I don't think that is a bad thing.

YaCoin: YL5kf54wPPXKsXd5T18xCaNkyUsS1DgY7z 
BitCoin: 14PFbLyUdTyxZg3V8hnvj5VXkx3dhthmDj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrBlacky

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 12:32:18 PM

We need a proper miner. Whatever is out there is buggy, memory leaking and out-dated.

Can you back up your statement?  I've got a miner that works great.

Yacminer makes my systems unresponsive after any random time between 30-60 minutes.
Also even if I use yacminer or sgminer (yes, I have an old version which supports ultracoin that I compiled myself) after about 10 minutes I am no longer submitting any shares and eventually cards go off or start to give only HW errors.

I have tried hundreds of settings and combinations, results are the same. I do no OC on my cards, everything is stock.

Because systems would become unresponsive I had to set the rigs to automatically restart themselves every hour. Unfortunately yacminer doesn't work with CGwatcher and I had to revert to using sgminer as the only solution.

Yacminer worked great up until NFC 14, after NFC 15 I haven't been able to mine properly with anything.

My config is 4 X 280X + 1 x 270.
Kracko

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 02:58:48 PM

Wouldn't botnets would make a comeback once CPUs gain relevance again?  It seems like it would be better to stay in GPU realm, but still apart from ASICS.  The serious miners won't keep their GPUs, of course- they'll upgrade as long as it is profitable to do so and with a reasonable ROI.   Advances in technology could easily nullify advantages in both staying at 15 or continuing down the normal progression.  Who knows how tedious it will be for even desktops to download a few million blocks at NF20.  As to who would better poised at that time?  Who knows.  6 years is a long time.  At this time we have the flexibility to change, not being tied down by a huge crowd.  The biggest thing here is creating our own identity.  Right now there really isn't that much differentiating our coins, except for a few wallet changes, art, the retarget and updates and refinements.

From what I've observed every shift in nFactor has resulted in fewer miners as the schedule progresses.  A factor changes the average miner gets frustrated that his cards are no longer hashing at the rate they were before, but don't always come to the realization that everyone else is similarly affected and that their total share of the pie doesn't really change that much.  They get hung up on the hashing numbers.  Currently we are at 40 workers between UTC and UBP pools- basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what.  We would prefer to increase that number.  We believe locking in the nFactor would be a positive step in that direction.  We would be poised to avoid that shift in nFactor which has to me always seemed like a train approaching a cliff.

Who is "We" in "We believe". Also, "basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what" has a negative connotation?

Hypothetically, if UTC is at NF20 right now, and UTC is mined at better hashrates and efficiency with most CPUs compared to GPUs, your concern over setting changes would be moot, correct? Have you considered 'fast-forwarding' the NFactor changes?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are coins out there that are geared for the higher-end GPUs, such as the 290x. These coins are considered 'asic-resistant' in the same way UTC would be 'asic-resistant' frozen at NF15, correct? Asic-resistant with the operative term being 'resistant' and not 'proof'. And does anyone know the distribution of graphics cards enough to be able to pick and choose which ones the coin should be geared toward in order to reach out to the most miners? Is it simply based on cost per card?

In my opinion, the burden of proof SHOULD be on the ones wanting to change. The argument for not hard-forking should always have the higher ground because the implication of a few people deciding a coin should be hard-forked with every little theoretical nuisance is harmful. On the other hand, the marketcap and lack-of-adoption is such that it wouldn't a big problem I feel. But look at what has happened to VertCoin! It will likely be surpassed by a scrypt-chacha coin very soon, and it seemed to have a lot of momentum until it went away from Scrypt-N for fear of asics. Bottomline, you are making assumptions. Bottomline, no one knows enough to say absolutely what will happen to mining with the next NFactor changes. We only know that no one knows, and I don't think that is a bad thing.

Thank you for your opinion, Beav.  Anyone else with arguments for staying on schedule that doesn't have a vested interest in the algorithm?
Thirtybird

Activity: 693
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:16:03 PM

We need a proper miner. Whatever is out there is buggy, memory leaking and out-dated.

Yacminer makes my systems unresponsive after any random time between 30-60 minutes.
Also even if I use yacminer or sgminer (yes, I have an old version which supports ultracoin that I compiled myself) after about 10 minutes I am no longer submitting any shares and eventually cards go off or start to give only HW errors.

I have tried hundreds of settings and combinations, results are the same. I do no OC on my cards, everything is stock.

Because systems would become unresponsive I had to set the rigs to automatically restart themselves every hour. Unfortunately yacminer doesn't work with CGwatcher and I had to revert to using sgminer as the only solution.

Yacminer worked great up until NFC 14, after NFC 15 I haven't been able to mine properly with anything.

One of the things I like about high Nf mining - this becomes a game of skill. The higher Nf goes, the less likely you are to get something working by randomly guessing settings and going with it; you need to know the rules - how it operates, what you have for resources, and the effect of each option.

I too enjoy things that favor the skilled - maybe I wouldn't if I wasn't amongst them, who knows?

The only thing that I can think is memory frequency on the cards - I had this exact scenario when YAC went to NF 15 - I had to lower the memory frequency (it was set in the startup params).  Until I did that, the machine would just randomly hard lock. 

My recommendation for a machine that does nothing but mining is start fresh, use catalyst 13.12 and YACMiner.  I used MSI afterburner to tweak the frequencies of the card while it was running to figure out my sweet spot, then I put those frequencies into my startup batch command line for YACminer and ditched Afterburner.  For simplicity, I would take the single 270 out of the system so ALL of the cards are the same.  If you have dissimilar cards in a machine and do not specify values for all parameters for all cards, that could easily be your problem too.  I'd rather start with stable than fast - fast can come later...

YACMiner: https://github.com/Thirtybird/YACMiner  N-Factor information : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj3vcsuY-JFNdC1ITWJrSG9VeWp6QXppbVgxcm0tbGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0
BTC: 183eSsaxG9y6m2ZhrDhHueoKnZWmbm6jfC  YAC: Y4FKiwKKYGQzcqn3M3u6mJoded6ri1UWHa
MrBlacky

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:11:33 PM

One of the things I like about high Nf mining - this becomes a game of skill. The higher Nf goes, the less likely you are to get something working by randomly guessing settings and going with it; you need to know the rules - how it operates, what you have for resources, and the effect of each option.

I too enjoy things that favor the skilled - maybe I wouldn't if I wasn't amongst them, who knows?

The only thing that I can think is memory frequency on the cards - I had this exact scenario when YAC went to NF 15 - I had to lower the memory frequency (it was set in the startup params).  Until I did that, the machine would just randomly hard lock. 

My recommendation for a machine that does nothing but mining is start fresh, use catalyst 13.12 and YACMiner.  I used MSI afterburner to tweak the frequencies of the card while it was running to figure out my sweet spot, then I put those frequencies into my startup batch command line for YACminer and ditched Afterburner.  For simplicity, I would take the single 270 out of the system so ALL of the cards are the same.  If you have dissimilar cards in a machine and do not specify values for all parameters for all cards, that could easily be your problem too.  I'd rather start with stable than fast - fast can come later...

@Wolf0 Trying random settings is the last course of action. Which points out how annoyed I got at some point.

@Thritybird That's actually very good advice and it makes sense. I was planning on using catalyst 13.12 with the yacminer. BTW, if I place the OpenCL dlls in YacMiner root, will it build the bins using those dlls?

Another issue could be that I have just 8 GB of Ram.
Thirtybird

Activity: 693

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 09:56:05 PM

I mine on Windows with 4 x 4GB cards with 8GB of system RAM - shouldn't be the problem

YACMiner: https://github.com/Thirtybird/YACMiner  N-Factor information : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj3vcsuY-JFNdC1ITWJrSG9VeWp6QXppbVgxcm0tbGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0
BTC: 183eSsaxG9y6m2ZhrDhHueoKnZWmbm6jfC  YAC: Y4FKiwKKYGQzcqn3M3u6mJoded6ri1UWHa
MrBlacky

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 05:52:29 AM

I mine on Windows with 4 x 4GB cards with 8GB of system RAM - shouldn't be the problem

Perfect! Thank you!
usukan
Legendary

Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 10:29:59 AM

is this a miners coin - full stop?

nothing here but miner discussion  page on page!

Its getting very tedious................

Anything happening to draw investors and users of the currency in?

Need some discussion and future plan to make UTC attractive to adopt - mining just is not the spot for the masses......

Personally I would like to see multi algo = SHA256 to get the masses in - balance it out Kracko please

Mining without adoption and investors is like creating more air to breath - there is plenty for free

Too much focus at the wrong end of the value chain in my humble opinion

Yes I have been in the jungle too long but - but paucity makes the mind clear

What can UTC do that other coins cannot do - give it something - link functionality with Ethereum please and get some press and some real life use

I am sure the management team have some plans and coming announcements - please share........

and Kracko - thanks for your fearless moves on mining changes and all the work behind it - I support all but WANT multi-algo ASAP

so you got my community votes

Can we direct some focus to the bigger picture please

Cheers usukan

--

--
sony87

Activity: 440

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 08:16:23 PM

Hello all,

i have configured the miner, the config and so on, it start mining but no accepted shares are received, pool kind of not report that i'm active. What is the problem ?

Sapfon

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:33:02 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2015, 03:25:21 PM by Sapfon

Hey guys,

I need a hand here. I have 6 x R9-280X cards and I have had tons of problems getting any miner to launch normally. I've had no issues with my previous minings (SLG, Doge, LTC, MNC, USDE) but now I just can't get this to work.

Can someone tell me what to download and install ? Just one miner ? Do I need something else besides that ? Which miner is the best for me ? What to put to .bat file this time ? I've created account to official pool, tried their beginners guide but that never worked for me.

Chacha is very ram hungry, I dont think you will be able to run 6 cards efficiently on one machine, unless you have 16gb of ram
Mine miner required 8gb of ram for 3 cards to function properly.

Other than that get thirtys yacminer

Oh I have them on two different motherboards, 3 cards each, 8GB of DDR3 each. Hopefully that should be enough :S

Just recently got my other rig working, but 3 cards (R9-280X 3GB) give only total of 200H/s atm to pool. I kinda feel it should be more ?
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 05:05:50 PM

Hey guys,

I need a hand here. I have 6 x R9-280X cards and I have had tons of problems getting any miner to launch normally. I've had no issues with my previous minings (SLG, Doge, LTC, MNC, USDE) but now I just can't get this to work.

Can someone tell me what to download and install ? Just one miner ? Do I need something else besides that ? Which miner is the best for me ? What to put to .bat file this time ? I've created account to official pool, tried their beginners guide but that never worked for me.

Chacha is very ram hungry, I dont think you will be able to run 6 cards efficiently on one machine, unless you have 16gb of ram
Mine miner required 8gb of ram for 3 cards to function properly.

Other than that get thirtys yacminer

Oh I have them on two different motherboards, 3 cards each, 8GB of DDR3 each. Hopefully that should be enough :S

Just recently got my other rig working, but 3 cards (R9-280X 3GB) give only total of 200H/s atm to pool. I kinda feel it should be more ?

You should have no problem running 3 cards with 8GB.  I would definitely suggest you use the latest Yacminer from Thirtybird and for a starting point use the setting that http://ultracoin.net/configgen_raw.html gives you.  At N16 you can still OC the gpu engine but I would underclock the memory.  I don't have a 280X but I would estimate each card should give you ~200H/s for ~600H/s per system.
sub-80

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 08:33:25 PM

I have one rig 8gb ram 4x280x and 1x7950. At Nf16, am getting 200h/s per 280X and 150h/s per 7950.
Does anyone have higher rates?
Does anyone know the hashrates of GTX 780?
sambiohazard

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 10:44:07 PM

I have one rig 8gb ram 4x280x and 1x7950. At Nf16, am getting 200h/s per 280X and 150h/s per 7950.
Does anyone have higher rates?
Does anyone know the hashrates of GTX 780?

For nvidia, you should try 750ti if you are not worried about physical space per hash as it has best watts/hash (44W for 350 hash/s) or 970 (130W for 780 hash/s) if you have less space. 960 4GB might be good but i dont have numbers for it.
dan_and_shan

Activity: 432

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 09:32:20 PM

is this a miners coin - full stop?

nothing here but miner discussion  page on page!

Its getting very tedious................

Anything happening to draw investors and users of the currency in?

Need some discussion and future plan to make UTC attractive to adopt - mining just is not the spot for the masses......

Personally I would like to see multi algo = SHA256 to get the masses in - balance it out Kracko please

Mining without adoption and investors is like creating more air to breath - there is plenty for free

Too much focus at the wrong end of the value chain in my humble opinion

Yes I have been in the jungle too long but - but paucity makes the mind clear

What can UTC do that other coins cannot do - give it something - link functionality with Ethereum please and get some press and some real life use

I am sure the management team have some plans and coming announcements - please share........

and Kracko - thanks for your fearless moves on mining changes and all the work behind it - I support all but WANT multi-algo ASAP

so you got my community votes

Can we direct some focus to the bigger picture please

Cheers usukan

But without the miners and stake holders there is no network,the miners are the life blood of the network, by making this coin a multi algo, it destroys the one thing that makes UTC different! asic resistance!!!
 IMHO this would be a massive step backward! But just my opinion Wink

Don't take life too serious, No one gets out alive Wink
KickAzzDude

Activity: 519

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:23:57 AM

I don't think anyone gives a damn about it being ASIC resistant, people just want a coin that has a practical use outside of speculation for the future

funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:03:48 PM

People invested in UTC because it ASIC  resistant. If you want a coin that is there is many 100's to pick from. Like I say many many people invest because of this reason like myself and if they completely change the coin I'm dumping my coins simple! Ultracoin was sold to investors as 7second transactions with ASIC resistance - keep it this or it has become a different coin. Stop crumbling to the miners wishes.
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 11:37:21 PM

People invested in UTC because it ASIC  resistant. If you want a coin that is there is many 100's to pick from. Like I say many many people invest because of this reason like myself and if they completely change the coin I'm dumping my coins simple! Ultracoin was sold to investors as 7second transactions with ASIC resistance - keep it this or it has become a different coin. Stop crumbling to the miners wishes.

That wasn't a request from miners.  No UTC miner wants a switch to asic friendly algos.

The scrypt-chacha algo at the higher nfactor is beautiful in so many ways, as stated earlier, both for miners and for separating UTC from the horde as a coin with unique features and ideals.
eddy888

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:16:38 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2015, 06:21:13 PM by eddy888

1 is this a miners coin - full stop?

2 Personally I would like to see multi algo = SHA256 to get the masses in - balance it out Kracko please

1. Yes this is miners coin. Without us, miners, there is not this coin at all.

2. Please can you explain what you mean with this?  Do you want destroy this coin or what?

This coin have now wonderful algo and also N16 is best possible at this time.  I hope no one do this mistake to return N15 or under no circumstances to N14.  N16 make also possible to mine with CPU an not only GPU. It can mine with quite cheap AMD radeon based cards and  NVIDIA but also example with normal laptop i7 CPU. Example todays I use i7 laptop and allways bacround it runs UTC mining. Of course it do not give real profit but still nearly 100UTC / day but more ipmportant it is part of network. (BTW this is not good there is only 2 main pool. Also I can not find any working p2p. Today these two pools orphan rate is totally terrible. Something is wrong somewhere. Or someone want intentionally interfere UTC (it is also possible).

But dirty ASIC business is out from this coin.

If some want mine using SHA256 machines he can. Just mine BTC or what ever altshit and buy UTC. So simple and easy. SHA256 or scrypt miner can do it without any difficulty. Just mine example BTC or what ever alternative SHA256 or scrypt or what ever algo what is exchanged example in Cryptsy. Use some exchange robot or just use Cryptsy autosell tools and get UTC with your SHA256 mining. Today UTC value related to BTC or fiat is so low that also it is (perhaps) wise to buy and keep.

There is lot of other and much more important things what make this coin success or shit. Look even UTC front sides. Full of wrong information, broken obsolete links and so on. Masses do not take this serious if someone do not want keep these basic things really updated. Now it (information) looks like magpies nest.
dan_and_shan

Activity: 432

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 09:44:29 PM

It seems our block explorer on the op, is down, any alternate explorers?

Don't take life too serious, No one gets out alive Wink
Jamil.Kamil

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 09:50:42 PM

I see the Ultra coin is and easy to use, decentralized and supported crypto-currency with many oportunities for current miners, and clear system of trades, exchanges or simple payments. Progressive idea to create a currency with lasting after generations, what will increase its value. Rewarding is nice and ave speed for transactions timing.  Kiss

Pages: « 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 262 »
  Print  

Jump to: