Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:29:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2437 blocks  (Read 5350857 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
wmabern

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Visualize whirledps

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 09:49:55 PM

Use both. You are going to need to sell some bitcoin to pay for expenses. So mine directly to coinbase. After all your expenses are paid. Move what you want to save once a month to the trezor.

1)  Not everyone pays their mining expenses by selling mined coins.

2)  This doesn't address the anonymity issue.  I'm sure I'm not the only one here that doesn't want the government to know how much btc I hold.  It's none of their business.  If, and when, I choose to use/trade/sell -- then I'll route it through a kyc account -- and they'll know about it.  In my country (the U.S.) -- that is the only time there is a tax implication.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a KYC Account?
Thanks for enlightening me!  Smiley

BITMIXER.IO Gone Baby, Gone.. ;-)
Not any good sig campaigns out there that I want!
tournamentdan

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Use both. You are going to need to sell some bitcoin to pay for expenses. So mine directly to coinbase. After all your expenses are paid. Move what you want to save once a month to the trezor.

1)  Not everyone pays their mining expenses by selling mined coins.

2)  This doesn't address the anonymity issue.  I'm sure I'm not the only one here that doesn't want the government to know how much btc I hold.  It's none of their business.  If, and when, I choose to use/trade/sell -- then I'll route it through a kyc account -- and they'll know about it.  In my country (the U.S.) -- that is the only time there is a tax implication.

1) I understand. Some people have theirs hosted. And some host their own. If you host your own. Most likely you will need to sell bitcoin to pay for electric and Internet.

2) For me. I am running my bitcoin mining operation as a business. So I am not hiding any money from the government. I would like to continue to grow my business and do not need to have anything come back to bite me in the ass.
bitsink

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:05:23 PM

It is like a KFC account only better Grin

KYC / AML = Know Your Customer / Anti Money Laundering - its an excuse by banks and regulators for financial surveillance in the name of counter terrorism. Coinbase are known to be excessively compliant.
firetreeactual
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:15:53 PM

I really don't get the need for lots of daily payouts.  A payout ever day, even every few days or so is fine.  Do people really need 10 small payouts a day?  I would rather get 1 large payout a day than 10 small ones.  If nothing else, it makes less work for the accounting.  
Agreed. I do not see any point for it, other than extreme insecurity perhaps. If one does not trust the pool operator to reasonably protect/hold the rewards until adequately verified, one should probably mine elsewhere...methinks. Additionally, it puts the miners' accounting load on Kano, where it doesn't belong...again, methinks.

But then, I've been occasionally told I think too much...methinks.  Kiss

Sorry, but do you have multiple personality disorder today? Cheesy That first paragraph first agrees with larger payments, then the second part disagrees with larger payments, because larger consolidated payments mean the pool operator running a wallet that holds those payments until they are ready to payout.

So do you agree with one large consolidated payment a day or not? Smiley I think for this pool it works fine without, all you need to do is have a mining wallet and a cold, or spending wallet, the mining income goes into the mining wallet, and every week or so you send the coins from your mining wallet into your cold wallet, which consolidates the dust for you. Then when you want to trade or buy something with your coin you do so from the cold/spending wallet and, if you use a reasonable sized transaction fee, that spend will go through alot faster than if you sent it from your mining wallet.
Interesting. I said nothing about size of payments. It was about frequency. I also said nothing about consolidation. However, I do have an opinion on it...I don't like it. I do my accounting traceable to the block, and I'd like to keep it that way.

To infinity and beyond...on two 741s and one of only 3...nope, make that 4...full nodes in Hawaii...on <30A. (I have other gear on the Hoth ice planet)
wmabern

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Visualize whirledps

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

KYC / AML = Know Your Customer / Anti Money Laundering - its an excuse by banks and regulators for financial surveillance in the name of counter terrorism. Coinbase are known to be excessively compliant.

Thanks for the explanation. I DO have a Coinbase account, but only use it to sell and transfer coins into my bank account. Otherwise my coins sit in my Core wallet until the end of each month.

What other exchanges without so much scrutiny would you recommend?

Thanks for the info!

BITMIXER.IO Gone Baby, Gone.. ;-)
Not any good sig campaigns out there that I want!
bitsink

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:23:26 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I DO have a Coinbase account, but only use it to sell and transfer coins into my bank account. Otherwise my coins sit in my Core wallet until the end of each month.

What other exchanges without so much scrutiny would you recommend?

Thanks for the info!
If you must ask any: p2p/decentralized exchange which cannot be regulated as much; localbitcoins or bitsquare. Be careful if you are new to LB, you may easily become a victim of a scam. You need to do your own due diligence on each trade / trader.
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:31:55 PM

I took a stab at adding some more language for the homepage below.
Kano: is this helpful?
Well, firstly, you did look at the Help->Payouts page right?
https://kano.is/index.php?k=payout

Secondly, the aim of the front page is not to be 5 pages long, people scrolling down to get to the configuration information.
It's a very brief opening section that links to the Help->Payouts menu page with the PPLNS link, followed by how to configure your miners.

Yes I've considered adding a Help->FAQ page before, but it always ends up being a page of explaining too much about Bitcoin, which is all over the net, and not much else.
Most questions these days tend to be answered by "Read the last section of the Help->Payouts page"
I guess I could move that up higher on the Help->Payouts page.

Also, I don't think there's any point comparing the pool to other pools in the start of the front page of the web site ...
Especially not with "In theory" Smiley

I'll look at updating some of the Help->Payouts page some time soon.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:54:26 PM

Not sure how dated this might be but you can always provide a link to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools
Pretty much covers all the relevant bits. Yesssss, it *is* a comparison but at least someone else did the legwork and explanations so you can keep things short and sweet on your site Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:07:09 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2017, 11:22:03 PM by kano

Not sure how dated this might be but you can always provide a link to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools
Pretty much covers all the relevant bits. Yesssss, it *is* a comparison but at least someone else did the legwork and explanations so you can keep things short and sweet on your site Wink
Heh, yeah I update that page every so often also (even recently) Smiley
The problem with linking to the bitcoin wiki is that it is under the control of LukeJr
He basically decides what goes in there and that's not based on "fact", it's based on "his opinion".
Multiple times I've put some information about cgminer in there and he's repeatedly deleted the content, coz he prefers his own 'version' of reality.
The guys who actually run the wiki would be best described as LukeJr lackeys.
So I avoid linking to it.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:14:55 PM

I think there may be a problem with the pool's time zone, at least for the shift timing. The shift timing states that it is in UTC, but:

The latest shift - 825j5 yuno - just started a couple of minutes ago and it states that it started at Mar‑12 17:08:27 (UTC). The time now is 18:15 UTC. It seems that the Pool is in UTC-1h timezone instead in UTC?
Shifts appear, are created, ~13 minutes after they finish.
The start isn't the unknown factor, it's the finish point that it has to wait until all the workinfo is complete/confirmed then it works out the shift.

Edit: and you can see that the shifts are all OK by the fact they all have a Start and Length, so the start of any following shift will be Start+Length

The Server time doesn't affect the web display at all, it uses UTC for all displayed time since people all over the planet look at it.
Internally, CKDB treats everything as UTC and the code all deals with converting the Postgresql dates to and from UTC.

Each web page, at the bottom right in small letters, shows what your browser thinks is your local time, and at the bottom left, what the server thinks is UTC time.
That also effectively shows any discrepancy between your computer and the actual time, after you subtract the network and processing delay for the page request.

Not that it is very important - the pool obviously functions, but this still seems off: The bottom left time on the webpage (UTC time) is generally 1-2h ahead of the (last shift start time), which if a shift is 50min (lets say 1h to keep it simple), should be only 0-1h ahead.
Check your clocks Smiley
The lower left on the web page is always correct Smiley

Shifts show "Start Time", so the last shift "Start Time" will be between "Length"+13 and 2xMax+13 minutes behind the UTC time.
2xMax = ~100

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:18:33 PM

Gotcha.
Didn't look/know who runs it and ja I fully understand given the History between you 2 Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:41:10 PM

I really don't get the need for lots of daily payouts.  A payout ever day, even every few days or so is fine.  Do people really need 10 small payouts a day?  I would rather get 1 large payout a day than 10 small ones.  If nothing else, it makes less work for the accounting.  
Agreed. I do not see any point for it, other than extreme insecurity perhaps. If one does not trust the pool operator to reasonably protect/hold the rewards until adequately verified, one should probably mine elsewhere...methinks. Additionally, it puts the miners' accounting load on Kano, where it doesn't belong...again, methinks.

Sorry, but do you have multiple personality disorder today? Cheesy That first paragraph first agrees with larger payments, then the second part disagrees with larger payments, because larger consolidated payments mean the pool operator running a wallet that holds those payments until they are ready to payout.

So do you agree with one large consolidated payment a day or not? Smiley I think for this pool it works fine without, all you need to do is have a mining wallet and a cold, or spending wallet, the mining income goes into the mining wallet, and every week or so you send the coins from your mining wallet into your cold wallet, which consolidates the dust for you. Then when you want to trade or buy something with your coin you do so from the cold/spending wallet and, if you use a reasonable sized transaction fee, that spend will go through alot faster than if you sent it from your mining wallet.
Interesting. I said nothing about size of payments. It was about frequency. I also said nothing about consolidation. However, I do have an opinion on it...I don't like it. I do my accounting traceable to the block, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Really? If you normally 5 small payments per day, but consolidate them into one payment per day then thats going to be a single larger payment surely Smiley The frequency of payments in this example is directly correlated to the size of payment.

Thanks for clarifying your stance, I'm not having a go, just that you surprised me as your normal position is one of someone who likes the way things work here, but your first sentence is agreeing with the OP saying that they'd rather have one payout per day rather than lots of small payouts.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
firetreeactual
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 12:42:27 AM

OK...without the 27 quotes...

I was REALLY unclear about what I was trying to say...so apologies, and a couple of you got me to look at it at least.

The thought that came to me at the time (and I was not really awake) was the complaining about so long between blocks, and of waiting for payout until the next post-confirmation block is found. That's all.

If the payouts came daily (but that won't always happen, will it?) but were detailed as to which block rewards it was paying, I'd be fine with that. Bottom line with me is that I DO trust the op, and like the way he runs things...I think a lot more than many folks here. If I didn't I wouldn't be here.

Teaches me to not try to post any cogent thought at 0600 local with no sleep in the past 20 hrs, and even coffee isn't enough then.

Kiss

To infinity and beyond...on two 741s and one of only 3...nope, make that 4...full nodes in Hawaii...on <30A. (I have other gear on the Hoth ice planet)
dance191

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 03:52:05 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2017, 04:02:22 AM by dance191

Really? If you normally 5 small payments per day, but consolidate them into one payment per day then thats going to be a single larger payment surely Smiley The frequency of payments in this example is directly correlated to the size of payment.

Thanks for clarifying your stance, I'm not having a go, just that you surprised me as your normal position is one of someone who likes the way things work here, but your first sentence is agreeing with the OP saying that they'd rather have one payout per day rather than lots of small payouts.

This is getting twisted...

I was responding to people complaining about the pool size and how they have to wait for the pool to find a block that confirms their pending payouts.  I was saying I like how the pool works, and I think waiting a day or two shouldn't really be an issue for people.  Yes, I know people are impatient, but mining takes time.  You buy equipment that will take 6 months ~ a year to just pay for itself, so waiting a couple of days for payouts shouldn't be an issue for people.  

I was not suggesting that Kano build something that pays out when people request the payments.  He doesn't want the responsibility of holding on to the coins and I 100% understand this.  I am sure for him the safest coins are ones he has already sent and he no longer controls.

As other people have mentioned, you can use something like Coinbase or Blockchain.info to consolidate your small payments and then withdrawal from there occasionally (rather than have Kano build this functionality).  I personally have not done this, but I don't think they charge fees to send coins with lots of inputs (last I checked at least they didn't).

Sorry for any confusion, at the time it was in response to people saying the pool is smaller than they want.  However, that chatter died off and it got changed into I was requesting a daily payout feature/consolidating payouts.  Sorry for any missing clarity on my part! Smiley
powrslave

Activity: 123
Merit: 17

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 07:43:37 PM

scraped from found blocks on webpage  Smiley

bitsink

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 07:51:35 PM

scraped from found blocks on webpage  Smiley

Random noise and statistics. There is no pattern no matter how much we would like to believe there is one  Shocked
bitsink

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 08:03:09 PM

I was also thinking about the the 5Nd thing, whether this really is just a statistical smoothing function (moving average) or wether it gives "old" miners a 5Nd (currently about 100h, but possibly not constant(Huh)) lead over new miners due to network difficulty changes every 14 days? Are new miners disadvantaged by this in that when their hashes are paid out the 5th time they are worth less (if a diff change has since occurred)? Maybe this has been considered before, but some explanation would be nice.

Anyone willing to chime in on whether newbies starting out are disadvantaged compared to someone who has already "filled" the 5Nd window or not due to upcoming diff increases? Thanks.
beltsniffer

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 08:22:43 PM

I was also thinking about the the 5Nd thing, whether this really is just a statistical smoothing function (moving average) or wether it gives "old" miners a 5Nd (currently about 100h, but possibly not constant(Huh)) lead over new miners due to network difficulty changes every 14 days? Are new miners disadvantaged by this in that when their hashes are paid out the 5th time they are worth less (if a diff change has since occurred)? Maybe this has been considered before, but some explanation would be nice.

Anyone willing to chime in on whether newbies starting out are disadvantaged compared to someone who has already "filled" the 5Nd window or not due to upcoming diff increases? Thanks.
I think any perceived disadvantage of 5Nd is minimal. Right now the 5Nd is ~106 hours. It changes with hashrate +/- and difficulty. I don't think the current time span is all that much, unless difficulty is making a huge jump (>10%).

We all went through it.

I think what really hurts is the lessened hash rate that adds to the variance. And I don't think we are all that newbie friendly. Though everyone here is helpful to the max, I think a lot of times we talk over their heads. They come here for a few days don't get the quickfix payouts they got at a larger pool.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8051

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 08:27:56 PM

this pool is not going to attract newbies.

5n
block by block payouts
no auto withdrawal
no set limit payout.

all of the above simply won't work for a new guy that purchased a 1500 dollar s-9 and a 200 dollar psu.

they say I am down 1700 usd I want steady money back now.

thus f2poo it is for them

if they  make back some money and see btc is not going poof maybe then they will come here.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
kano (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 08:34:31 PM

What actually happens is that each share you submit (as the web page says) is rewarded in all blocks in the 5Nd after it.
So basically, it takes 5Nd to get rewarded.
It has nothing to do with a lower reward for your work.
When you have 5Nd worth of shares, then you always have a full set of shares to be rewarded.
It has no possible expected effect on your reward at all.
It's simply to do with reducing reward variance (by stretching out the reward time)

Pages: « 1 ... 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: