Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:47:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [prediction] Next spike $560,000 14 {<-oops!} months from now (2017 Update!)  (Read 71465 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 01:10:02 AM

100K probably won't happen for a simple reason that it would make too many early-to-mid adopters rich, so they have to sellout beforehand, say at 1K-10K.

Quite a few early adopters are already rolling in it. I'm sure they're perfectly happy to keep a few thousand coins back for any potential super explosions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fallinglantern

Activity: 260
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 01:12:34 AM

The last year and a half have been a fine trial by fire for people who've sat through it all. I'm sure they've felt the full spectrum of emotions. If you've lived through this then I think you're probably pretty hardened to future swings. If you're still around now you're likely to be in it for the long haul.

This exactly. The weak hands have been shaken, which is why the price is finally creeping back up.
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 01:21:49 AM

Yeah, I've been sitting through it and now I'm in too deep to turn back.
I can handle a bubble to 1000 or 3000 without losing my head. Part of me will just be thinking "Finally!"

But if it goes to $10,000 to $100,000 within the next 5-6 years, I can't see myself staying cool. Even after all the long hours playing with models and various assumptions to convince myself that it's possible.

If it succeeds then by its very nature there'll never be a 'top'. It'll carry on deflating. I guess everyone needs to set themselves a goal and start spending when it reaches it. Paper profits ain't much fun. It's no good sitting in a shack eating ramen waiting for a mythical price level when there's a whole world out there waiting to be lived in.

A net worth of 2 million seems like a reasonable time to start spending.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 01:25:46 AM

The last year and a half have been a fine trial by fire for people who've sat through it all. I'm sure they've felt the full spectrum of emotions. If you've lived through this then I think you're probably pretty hardened to future swings. If you're still around now you're likely to be in it for the long haul.

This exactly. The weak hands have been shaken, which is why the price is finally creeping back up.

Someone with a double digit cost basis may have a higher tolerance of panic than most, but they do have a number. "Weak hands have been shaken" is a relative measure, and not absolute at all. Thankfully, it seems there is a well capitalized bull whale helping the bids tread water at a higher level lately.
jehst

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:00:45 AM

Someone with a double digit cost basis may have a higher tolerance of panic than most, but they do have a number. "Weak hands have been shaken" is a relative measure, and not absolute at all. Thankfully, it seems there is a well capitalized bull whale helping the bids tread water at a higher level lately.

There would be more weakhands to shake out if we were to approach $50.

Year 2021
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:34:34 AM

Keeping more than what you need to pay bills or food or entertainment in FIAT is pointless. We are clearly going to the moon. Either you believe or you don't. FIAT is a scam. Bitcoin, at least, represents partial freedom, but it will not make society free on its own. But it is a tool that we can use for Good and bypass the banksters..

Christine Lagarde, here's one to you, you fucking cunt.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:20:13 AM

Keeping more than what you need to pay bills or food or entertainment in FIAT is pointless. We are clearly going to the moon. Either you believe or you don't. FIAT is a scam. Bitcoin, at least, represents partial freedom, but it will not make society free on its own. But it is a tool that we can use for Good and bypass the banksters..

Christine Lagarde, here's one to you, you fucking cunt.
You sure have some color to you lately but I approve considering your heart is in the right place. Not that you can walk that one back but times are a changing and it should be obvious to anyone that the flipside is about to happen as time goes by. The bull market is likely starting and the rest should be fun for the rest of everyone around here that has awaited the end of the shit market.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 08:16:56 AM

It's been said a million times by the veterans, but it bears repeating: the mistake you'll make is selling too early. I've done it multiple times, even after learning that it was a bad thing to do.  I doubt your "hodl until I die" plan will work when emotion takes over.

I can handle a bubble to 1000 or 3000 without losing my head. Part of me will just be thinking "Finally!"

But if it goes to $10,000 to $100,000 within the next 5-6 years, I can't see myself staying cool. Even after all the long hours playing with models and various assumptions to convince myself that it's possible.

100K probably won't happen for a simple reason that it would make too many early-to-mid adopters rich, so they have to sellout beforehand, say at 1K-10K.

A good plan if you are positive on BTC: accumulate in 2015-2016, then starting in 2016-2017 divide your presumable stash by the number of years that equal maxumum that you'll live (have left). Say, be optimistic and go for 100. Then, cash out every year this number of BTC on your birthday, wife/GF birthday or son/daughetr birthday.
This way, you would probably enjoy it more.

it won't happen in one step, but it can happen in a few steps, it's all about floors's consolidation, if the next time we can consolidate the 1k-10k range, then the future holder will be willing to wait for a bigger price and so on, any realistic price, in possible, it is a matter of time
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 10:05:48 AM

If it succeeds then by its very nature there'll never be a 'top'. It'll carry on deflating. I guess everyone needs to set themselves a goal and start spending when it reaches it. Paper profits ain't much fun. It's no good sitting in a shack eating ramen waiting for a mythical price level when there's a whole world out there waiting to be lived in.

I did this calulation a year ago and came to the conclusion that with 2M it's possible to just retire early with some comfort, but nothing "over the top" (asuming your are about 30-35 years old)
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:52:10 PM

As I explained to my wife when I decided to do some currency speculation in Bitcoin, "It's at least guaranteed to be free entertainment." 

Willy Bot, Silk Road, Force & Bridges, Mt.Gox implosion, Butterfly Labs, SEC regulation funnies, C&D letters, AML Fandango, Bribe-driven altcoin markets with pump&dump scams, idiots setting up gambling sites that allow cheating, Assassination politics, The Cyprus Haircut, the Greek Meltdown, the Eurozone crisis, China banning banks from dealing with it while subsidizing electricity for mining farms solely because the guys who set up the mining farms did a better job of bribery than the bankers, sites where idiots bet on stupid things so I could just take their money by betting on facts, Scammers with crypto locker, more scammers with mining botnets, more scammers still with covert mining software built into AAA games, people replacing building furnaces with mining rigs that subsidize their heating electricity, Bitcoin ATMs where people throw the "receipts" (WITH PRIVATE KEYS) in the trash because they don't understand what the hell they are.... 

Hell, we couldn't have got this much entertainment if we'd blown the entire amount on movie writers and producers.  Nor could I have made money testifying as an expert witness if this had all been Hollywood drama.

Wherever it ends up, it's a hell of a ride.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:58:28 PM

As I explained to my wife when I decided to do some currency speculation in Bitcoin, "It's at least guaranteed to be free entertainment." 

Willy Bot, Silk Road, Force & Bridges, Mt.Gox implosion, Butterfly Labs, SEC regulation funnies, C&D letters, AML Fandango, Bribe-driven altcoin markets with pump&dump scams, idiots setting up gambling sites that allow cheating, Assassination politics, The Cyprus Haircut, the Greek Meltdown, the Eurozone crisis, China banning banks from dealing with it while subsidizing electricity for mining farms solely because the guys who set up the mining farms did a better job of bribery than the bankers, sites where idiots bet on stupid things so I could just take their money by betting on facts, Scammers with crypto locker, more scammers with mining botnets, more scammers still with covert mining software built into AAA games, people replacing building furnaces with mining rigs that subsidize their heating electricity, Bitcoin ATMs where people throw the "receipts" (WITH PRIVATE KEYS) in the trash because they don't understand what the hell they are.... 

Hell, we couldn't have got this much entertainment if we'd blown the entire amount on movie writers and producers.  Nor could I have made money testifying as an expert witness if this had all been Hollywood drama.

And a hell of an education. . .
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:03:25 PM

and "hell of an addiction" for some of us obsessive hodlers. Wink

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:28:02 PM

and "hell of an addiction" for some of us obsessive hodlers. Wink

It's an irresistible blend of high-stakes speculation, outrageous drama, and participation in a worldwide community of freethinkers, oddballs, geniuses, idealists, and knaves.
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:53:56 PM

I would be stupid happy for $10k-$50k. Somewhere around $70k I will probably go into shock and have a heart attack.

I'll be dancin' on my rooftop. I assume this will quickly result in my paralysis, but at least I'll be able to afford my health care bills.
jehst

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:58:06 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2015, 06:15:18 PM by jehst

I did this calulation a year ago and came to the conclusion that with 2M it's possible to just retire early with some comfort, but nothing "over the top" (asuming your are about 30-35 years old)

Plan to earn a 5% return after taxes. Withdraw 4%. $80,000 per year and it should keep growing.

It really wouldn't be anything to write home about. People who got into the oil game early made a lot more, but I wasn't born then.
In 1900, you had the chance to buy up cheap land in California or Texas and try to get oil. Before that you had the gold rush in 1849.

In 1995, you could've tried to start a tech company and sell it for millions. Or you could've gotten involved in the opening up of Russia. Perestroika made a bunch of fortunes. I was too young.

You could've gone to Australia to get it on the mining boom. Or went to North Dakota or Alberta to get in on the new oil boom.

Every generation has its chance. Sometimes multiple chances. The thing that makes thousands of new fortunes. I see bitcoin as our generation's chance. Bitcoin, if it succeeds, isn't just going to make Satoshi, Roger Ver, Eric Voorhees, and a couple of dozen other people rich. Cryptocurrency, if it's like oil, or gold, or steel, or railroads, or the internet, it's going to make hundreds of thousands of people wealthy.

You're going to scroll down the world's global richlist and underneath "Source of Wealth" you're going to see Cryptocurrency there pop up multiple times alongside Gold Mining, Oil Exploration, Lumber, Steel, Shipping, Automobile Manufacturing, etc.

Year 2021
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:28:03 PM

Plan to earn a 5% return after taxes. Withdraw 4%. $80,000 per year and it should keep growing.

It really wouldn't be anything to write home about. People who got into the oil game early made a lot more, but I wasn't born then.
In 1900, you had the chance to buy up cheap land in California or Texas and try to get oil. Before that you had the gold rush in 1849.

In 1995, you could've tried to start a tech company and sell it for millions. Or you could've gotten involved in the opening up of Russia. Perestroika made a bunch of fortunes. I was too young.

You could've gone to Australia to get it on the mining boom. Or went to North Dakota or Alberta to get in on the new oil boom.

Every generation has its chance. Sometimes multiple chances. The thing that makes thousands of new fortunes. I see bitcoin as our generation's chance. Bitcoin, if it succeeds, isn't just going to make Satoshi, Roger Ver, Eric Voorhees, and a couple of dozen other people rich. Cryptocurrency, if it's like oil, or gold, or steel, or railroads, or the internet, it's going to make hundreds of thousands of people wealthy.

You're going to scroll down the world's global richlist and underneath "Source of Wealth" you're going to see Cryptocurrency there pop up multiple times alongside Gold Mining, Oil Exploration, Lumber, Steel, Shipping, Automobile Manufacturing, etc.

considering that wealthy now is at least $5 mil, then for hundreds of thousands (or, at least 100K) to be worth that much in bitcoin, it would have to go to ~$500K.
It is still possible.
Source for ~100K having at least 10BTC:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316297.0
jehst

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:50:37 PM

considering that wealthy now is at least $5 mil, then for hundreds of thousands (or, at least 100K) to be worth that much in bitcoin, it would have to go to ~$500K.
It is still possible.
Source for ~100K having at least 10BTC:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316297.0

If bitcoin is the currency singularity, it will have to be worth that much. 

Year 2021
rjclarke2000
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 08:04:56 PM

I agree with the above.

I love coming on this forum and speculating. It hasn't been exactly free for me as I have invested quite a bit. I know I can sell at any point but it's still in btc and it takes a while to realise it's still there and not "spent".

I have been involved with Bitcoin since the beginning of the 2013 willy bot pump and it has been a fun ride. Apart from lifting weights in the gym, wakeboarding and having fun days out with my wife and son I also enjoy the Bitcoin rollercoaster! It's more than just an investment, it's exciting. It can't fail as I will miss all this!! Even the FUDsters.

I look forward to posting success and congratulations stories in the future fellow bitcoiners.

joe 90

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 09:10:32 PM

I don't think the next spike can be $560,000 14 months from the date of the OP. That's next November and would have to go up from today's price by 2240x. It's never done anything like that since it went from 10 Bitcoins a cent to $2 when it started off. Those kind of price increases would need billions of dollars throwing at Bitcoin to happen today. In the early days a few thousand dollars would pump the price crazily.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 09:27:20 PM

I don't think the next spike can be $560,000 14 months from the date of the OP. That's next November and would have to go up from today's price by 2240x. It's never done anything like that since it went from 10 Bitcoins a cent to $2 when it started off. Those kind of price increases would need billions of dollars throwing at Bitcoin to happen today. In the early days a few thousand dollars would pump the price crazily.

He was just playing with numbers, and I get his point about black-swannish nature of bitcoin's potential valuation.
Alas, Oct 2010 to July 2011 move (10 months) was from $0.062 to $35 (I don't have numbers beforehand).
The equivalent in %% is a move from $260 to $132000, not that I expect it...just numbers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: