Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:25:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Emergency ANN] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 224549 times)
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 08:11:01 AM

This is why the whole idea of 'tainted' coins is a bad idea.

I would not call it is not an idea per se, but a reaction to crypto shock.  Some suffer it from their own mistakes (delete wallet etc..), others by a foreign hand.

The brutal truth that the maths does not care for authority can take time to fully grasp. In the meantime, we rage...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 09:16:43 AM

Cool way of releasing a message. The thief clearly has some familiarity with Bitcoin.

Familiarity with Bitcoin?  Perhaps not so much...  There's lots of more interesting ways to embed a message in Bitcoin transactions if you're familiar with the data formats and the protocol, such as the one described here for example:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34458

Having the transaction amounts be binary seems a bit rudimentary, actually.

Sure it's blatant. One look at that list of numbers and it was pretty obvious what the 'code' was - a sequence of increasing mounts to enable ordering and then a string of 0s and 1s - what else could it be? But I wouldn't call it rudimentary. It's a good use of the tools at hand.

Sure, he could have coded a way more leet message which someone may have discovered at some point in a few months or years, but this was a way he could pass his message on and be sure interested parties would get the message almost immediately and achieve further notoriety without having to give up any more anonymity than he already has.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 09:35:19 AM

If my 100 coins are gone, I doubt that I will use a bitcoin business again. It's our fault to trust in such businesses obviously.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 09:42:32 AM

Lulz I have better security for my 2.14 coins and thought of buying more and hence the need to be even more secure!

Who trusts 4 email accounts with root access?

Seems like we have a new BitCoin rule of thumb: "A bitcoin site is not safe until it has been hacked at least once"

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 09:50:24 AM

Lulz I have better security for my 2.14 coins and thought of buying more and hence the need to be even more secure!

Who trusts 4 email accounts with root access?

Seems like we have a new BitCoin rule of thumb: "A bitcoin site is not safe until it has been hacked at least once"

In this case, atleast twice ? or does the first linode invasion count as .5 ?

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:03:41 AM

Quick Update

- It's more serious than we thought. We need some additional time to come up with a compensation proposal.
- Likely we will either shut down the platform or re-develop entirely (which will take months instead of days).
- The preliminary decision: reimburse for the full amount, including margin balances and position P/L.
- The root cause of this problem is an email server compromise. The email server belongs to one of our team members.
- Reminder again: Please do not reuse your Bitcoinica passwords as the database server was compromised. Do not click any links in the email. All Bitcoinica announcements will be updated on Bitcoinica website when available.

Important Disclaimer: I'm not a partner of Bitcoinica LP after the corporate reorganisation. Therefore, I have no financial obligation in this matter as I'm only an employee of Bitcoinica LP responsible for daily operations (no shares, no voting). However, I'll do my best with the team to resolve this problem as quickly as possible and minimize the impact for the community. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:10:46 AM

Quick Update

- It's more serious than we thought. We need some additional time to come up with a compensation proposal.
- Likely we will either shut down the platform or re-develop entirely (which will take months instead of days).
- The preliminary decision: reimburse for the full amount, including margin balances and position P/L.
- The root cause of this problem is an email server compromise. The email server belongs to one of our team members.
- Reminder again: Please do not reuse your Bitcoinica passwords as the database server was compromised. Do not click any links in the email. All Bitcoinica announcements will be updated on Bitcoinica website when available.

Important Disclaimer: I'm not a partner of Bitcoinica LP after the corporate reorganisation. Therefore, I have no financial obligation in this matter as I'm only an employee of Bitcoinica LP responsible for daily operations (no shares, no voting). However, I'll do my best with the team to resolve this problem as quickly as possible and minimize the impact for the community. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Hope everything works out in the end.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:13:23 AM

Quick Update

how do i get my money out?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:14:33 AM

- It's more serious than we thought. We need some additional time to come up with a

What exactly is more serious? Details?

Wow, so the Intersango guys are left holding the bag for your incompetence? That was a clever move.

Not sure how they got suckered into this deal before they took over everything.
freewil

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:16:28 AM

Why would you need to re-develop for a compromised email server?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:18:29 AM

Important Disclaimer: I'm not a partner of Bitcoinica LP after the corporate reorganisation. Therefore, I have no financial obligation in this matter as I'm only an employee of Bitcoinica LP responsible for daily operations (no shares, no voting).
If you're not in charge, maybe the person who actually is should communicate.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:18:55 AM

Why would you need to re-develop for a compromised email server?
This

rapeghost

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:21:59 AM

How to ruin a business in 12 months: The Zhoutong Method.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:30:07 AM

Wow, so the Intersango guys are left holding the bag for your incompetence? That was a clever move.

Not sure how they got suckered into this deal before they took over everything.

There's no such thing as "incompetence" in a team. If you have to trace to the root cause, the compromised email server isn't mine, or has anything to do with my development work. Does that mean some people are more competent than the other? Obviously not. We are on the same boat.

There're a lot of details that I'm not supposed to disclose at this moment. But simply, I gave up my sole ownership a long time ago, even before the Linode hack. The Intersango guys are fully aware of everything and they have inspected the code and server configurations for weeks before signing their agreement. They fixed some non-trivial security issues in the past few weeks as well.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:33:55 AM

You forgot to answer one question.

- It's more serious than we thought. We need some additional time to come up with a

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:34:20 AM

Important Disclaimer: I'm not a partner of Bitcoinica LP after the corporate reorganisation. Therefore, I have no financial obligation in this matter as I'm only an employee of Bitcoinica LP responsible for daily operations (no shares, no voting).
If you're not in charge, maybe the person who actually is should communicate.

I'm representing the company at the moment. I decided to stand out to post this thread because:

- I'm the first one to acknowledge this issue (as the other guys were asleep).
- I'm the usual person communicating about Bitcoinica on this forum.
- Most people assumed that zhoutong = Bitcoinica.

I'm in close communication with Intersango guys so you can voice out whatever you want.

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 10:35:50 AM

You forgot to answer one question.

The more serious thing is that we may need additional time to provide the details. We are working with Rackspace to know more about this issue.

EDIT: There's no additional financial loss. We have revoked the withdrawal API key.

dizzy1

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:41:42 AM

Why after the linode hack do you still let people reset the root password?
WhatsHappening

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 10:49:56 AM

zhou: How long do we have to wait for our money (BTC or USD) ? Is there any schedule for that ?
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 11:06:56 AM

But simply, I gave up my sole ownership a long time ago, even before the Linode hack.
You want to tell us Bitcoinica is one of the most legit Bitcoin businesses while you leave its ownership in the shadows for a "long time" (months?!) and deceive us all? I always thought you were the sole owner, and I thought Intersango only very recently took over.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: