Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 470 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping  (Read 2115842 times)
whiteorg72

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:16:01 PM

Can you mine this?

Factoids are not mineable, there is no mining in Factom. Originally FCT were distributed to Token Sale supporters, pre-sale and early contributors, and the supply is deflationary as of now.
However in the future, after our milestone #3 is delivered about 75K FCT a year will be distributed to Federated Servers who help maintain the network with their resources.

Factom you say that 75k factoids will be made a year but isnt it a month ?

10% per year inflation, that way less then 1% a month. I d say that s healthy number if Factom becomes internationally recognizable. However, you need to have in mind the fact Factoids will be destroyed in exchange for entry credits as well. Which means supply and demand will be well balanced.

In short, the future inflation will actually be close to 0 (0%). Smiley It has been said many times. So do not worry about the future inflation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:18:00 PM

Can you mine this?

Factoids are not mineable, there is no mining in Factom. Originally FCT were distributed to Token Sale supporters, pre-sale and early contributors, and the supply is deflationary as of now.
However in the future, after our milestone #3 is delivered about 75K FCT a year will be distributed to Federated Servers who help maintain the network with their resources.

Factom you say that 75k factoids will be made a year but isnt it a month ?

10% per year inflation, that way less then 1% a month. I d say that s healthy number if Factom becomes internationally recognizable. However, you need to have in mind the fact Factoids will be destroyed in exchange for entry credits as well. Which means supply and demand will be well balanced.

In short, the future inflation will actually be close to 0 (0%). Smiley

Yup, supply should match demand and we should stick to these current number - what gets destroyed until last milestone gets finished. This is why I love Factom.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Mrboot
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:30:52 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2016, 12:44:11 PM by Mrboot

That also means that actually the Value of each Factoid will be equil to 73000 coins

some calculations

Example;

1 million entry coins a month would be 1000x20(basic package)= 20000 dollar a month / 73000 = $ 0,27 each factoid.
(Factom is in beta phase and already have like half mil entrys a month, sky is the limit)

10 mill = 2,7 dollar
100 mill = 27
1 billion = 270 dollar

Each coin based and i expect when this tech continu and people start adapting factom on the bitcoin and ethereum blockchain
1 billion entry a month will not be that strange.

whats your vision on that ?
regexlove

Activity: 608
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 01:15:19 PM

Some customers may be interested at many/high prices - proofofexistence.com costs $2 now!?  Yet i could post a hash in bitcoin transaction myself and waiting for a low fee, no?  - which bloats bitcoin blockchain but for the time being is better/easier/not relying on more -  Yet keeping paying customers ultimately depends on Factoms business relationships,
- if it gets too expensive customers/competitiors could start running another Factom network/chain being opensource.
Mrboot
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 01:36:42 PM

Some customers may be interested at many/high prices - proofofexistence.com costs $2 now!?  Yet i could post a hash in bitcoin transaction myself and waiting for a low fee, no?  - which bloats bitcoin blockchain but for the time being is better/easier/not relying on more -  Yet keeping paying customers ultimately depends on Factoms business relationships,
- if it gets too expensive customers/competitiors could start running another Factom network/chain being opensource.

So you prefer to pay 10 to 100 times as much , and also wonder when it will be on the block , and bloat the bitcoin blockchain with useless
space compared to just se factom and be innovative
STRML

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 02:50:48 PM

Hey everyone - Sam from BitMEX here.

The 10x Factom market is live: https://www.bitmex.com/app/trade/FCT7D

The contract is traded entirely in Bitcoin (no need to deposit Factom or carry any). Each contract is worth 1 FCT. Specifications: https://www.bitmex.com/app/contract/FCT7D

Hope to see you all around.
crazyivan
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 03:15:58 PM

The contract is traded entirely in Bitcoin (no need to deposit Factom or carry any). Each contract is worth 1 FCT. Specifications: https://www.bitmex.com/app/contract/FCT7D

So no lending, just trading right?

FACTOM (OP)

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 03:27:21 PM

Thanks for sharing.
whiteorg72

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 04:00:50 PM

BITMEX INTRODUCES FCT7D CONTRACT, TRADE FACTOM (FCTBTC) WITH YOUR BITCOIN UP TO 10X LEVERAGE.

"You can now trade Factom (FCTBTC) at up to 10x leverage using bitcoin - Hedge and Speculate with futures contracts at BitMEX.
BitMEX has an exciting new Factom futures contract which you can trade at up to 10x leverage.
BitMEX uses only bitcoin on their site, but the value of FCTBTC on Poloniex is used as the settlement for this new contract they created.
It's as simple as you deposit bitcoin, and use bitcoin to bet on the price of FCTBTC going up or down and then if FCT goes down you earn more bitcoin and if it goes up you can "long" the contract and earn money on it. This is a great positive development for FCT users."

http://www.bitcoinfuturesguide.com/bitcoin-blog/bitmex-introduces-fct7d-contract-trade-factom-fctbtc-with-your-bitcoin-up-to-10x-leverage
BadGhost

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:21:24 PM

Could someone explain me a thing: What is Factom - the Factom being traded, what are the pro's of Factom. I mean Factom is certainly a kind of coin, but then there is factoid. So factoid is the coin using for operations, and will be the one people will be paying for services with. So what does the factom coin do?
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:33:18 PM

Could someone explain me a thing: What is Factom - the Factom being traded, what are the pro's of Factom. I mean Factom is certainly a kind of coin, but then there is factoid. So factoid is the coin using for operations, and will be the one people will be paying for services with. So what does the factom coin do?

Factom ist the System, Factoid is the "coin". But it's more a license or a "system-currency" if you want.

Factom as a system is something like a recording engine for data in time. Let's say you are a trader and you want to be able to proof that you didn't manipulate your data. So you can hash your trades into Factom, which is like fingerprinting and timestamping it, so you can proof that your data is complete and correct. Or think it bigger: You are a trader for a company. This company connects it's system with Factom and potentially they could record every little step into Factom. You log into your Company-Account and it's recorded, you open a file and it's recorded, you change the file and it's recorded etc.

Important is: Factom does not store the data itself (it's possible I believe but necessarily the sense), just a hash of each file so it's possible to control if data is correct or not, if data is complete or not and so on. And if a company would also record who had access at which time to specific data, manipulations would become a lot more difficult, or loss of data with intention ("ups, we've lost all our data. sorry!"). It would become much more easier to find out who is responsible and also what happened.

Factoids:

For each entry into the system you need Entry Credits. You get Entry Credits if you transact Factoids on an Entry Credit - Address or even better: You buy just the Entry Credits for Dollar (each 1/10 cent) in the (coming) Store, so you don't have to touch any Cryptocurrency. Each Entry Credit is one Entry.

On first sight it may look confusing but it's a very elegant system because it solves a lot of problems at once:

- Factom can be decentralized. Factoids are also the value to pay the participating server.
- User don't need to touch Cryptocurrency (Factoids, Bitcoin etc.). They can order Entry Credits and pay with Dollar, Factoids are transferred on the EC-Address and voila. That's important to avoid regulatory problems for big companies.
- While Factoids are transferable Entry Credits are not. Once a FCT is converted into EC's it's not possible to re-convert it or to transact it. Just to use it.
- While the price of Factoids can be very volatile (which we see on the exchanges) the price for EC's can be (is) stable. The price for FCT's will never have negative impact on the demand.

And, what's also ingenious: The value of Factoids will reflect the use of the system. The more it's used, the more Factoids will be converted into EC's --> out of the system (kind of "burned"). So it will be possible to calculate something I call the "base-price" which is needed for a stable supply. If the price would drop below, more Factoids would be consumed than new created. If it goes above, more Factoids will be created than consumed. Speculation will have a great effect (it already has), but it's very likely that the price will always find a base where the number of consumed FCT's will be equal to the 73k new Factoids each month.

At the moment the price reflects speculation, it says something what people believe if they think about future potential of Factom. But there are also some interesting points:

1. It's really mostly speculation (or betting) and it's visible in the Polo-trollboy (just for example) that many did not make enough research to come to own conclusions. I can't say that my conclusions are correct because there is nothing without risks. But I believe that Factom is the project with the biggest potential right now (I think it's potential is bigger than ETH, because I believe to see a lot of risks in ETH while it's already near to 1 billion marketcap - personal opinion of course) and I believe that more and more ppl will learn about Factom and come to similar conclusions.

2. The price-rise of the last 3 months, since Mid-December, is a price correction. Factom was totally undervalued since the ICO and the first months on Poloniex. With other words: If more people would have understood how good this project is to that time, more people would have bought into the ICO. The total supply would be higher which would mean that it would have started with a higher market-cap at lower prices for each Factoid right from it's first day on an exchange. That can be called an opportunity.

And while the price has increased a lot, many people believe it's overbought now. But kind of funny is: The high volume builds strong support. While the total supply is just 8,7 Mio it just needs some days to trade that volume and a lot of profit-takers have already sold. Some not of course but that are obviously strong hands and in for longterm. The dumping was mainly margin trading. I don't believe in the chinese-theory. I know that there were problems and there may have been some arbitrage but I saw the interest rates and that 90% of all loans were demanded. But, it's not even important. Important is it's general potential and in my opinion that's like Bitcoin in 2011.

regexlove

Activity: 608
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 10:41:39 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2016, 07:23:45 AM by regexlove

Some customers may be interested at many/high prices - proofofexistence.com costs $2 now!?  Yet i could post a hash in bitcoin transaction myself and waiting for a low fee, no?  - which bloats bitcoin blockchain but for the time being is better/easier/not relying on more -  Yet keeping paying customers ultimately depends on Factoms business relationships,

So you prefer to pay 10 to 100 times as much , and also wonder when it will be on the block , and bloat the bitcoin blockchain with useless
space compared to just se factom and be innovative

Not what i said but Bitcoin transactions are available for few cents to be confirmed several times in minutes. So right now $0.04 or less will be a better proof of existence for the Author since it doesn't rely on other/small(er) networks.  (Proofofexistence.com sells 10 or 20 transactions for $2 ech per day, but pays $0.04 in fee for them. Factom can be cheaper and maybe they can convince institutional/B2B customers.)

Factom must not protect Bitcoin. If Bitcoin isn't resistant to spam, that is a lower level problem.
Thank you mentioning 500 Factoids (0.5M entries) are consumed per month yet, i think i read that too last year? Is there website yet to check the Factom network statistics?
Factom can't grow by more than 876GB per year, so that may be slow enough, just curious still how the reward for servers changes over time.  

there may have been some arbitrage
 There is always arbitrage and there must be arbitrage so that the price is hard to manipulate and protects reasonable traders(unfair short squeezes/long squeezes) Pump&dumpers may be able to control one market but not all. Since Factom has a relatively low market capitalization you also want to check if competitors move similarly, or if not - for what reason.  The real peak was'nt 0.0087 but rather 0.007  
(Again,  I'm not speaking against factom, this event simply made me disagree with the pumping trolls)

crazyivan
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:17:36 AM

Factom ist the System, Factoid is the "coin". But it's more a license or a "system-currency" if you want.

Factom as a system is something like a recording engine for data in time. Let's say you are a trader and you want to be able to proof that you didn't manipulate your data. So you can hash your trades into Factom, which is like fingerprinting and timestamping it, so you can proof that your data is complete and correct. Or think it bigger: You are a trader for a company. This company connects it's system with Factom and potentially they could record every little step into Factom. You log into your Company-Account and it's recorded, you open a file and it's recorded, you change the file and it's recorded etc.

Important is: Factom does not store the data itself (it's possible I believe but necessarily the sense), just a hash of each file so it's possible to control if data is correct or not, if data is complete or not and so on. And if a company would also record who had access at which time to specific data, manipulations would become a lot more difficult, or loss of data with intention ("ups, we've lost all our data. sorry!"). It would become much more easier to find out who is responsible and also what happened.

Factoids:

For each entry into the system you need Entry Credits. You get Entry Credits if you transact Factoids on an Entry Credit - Address or even better: You buy just the Entry Credits for Dollar (each 1/10 cent) in the (coming) Store, so you don't have to touch any Cryptocurrency. Each Entry Credit is one Entry.

On first sight it may look confusing but it's a very elegant system because it solves a lot of problems at once:

- Factom can be decentralized. Factoids are also the value to pay the participating server.
- User don't need to touch Cryptocurrency (Factoids, Bitcoin etc.). They can order Entry Credits and pay with Dollar, Factoids are transferred on the EC-Address and voila. That's important to avoid regulatory problems for big companies.
- While Factoids are transferable Entry Credits are not. Once a FCT is converted into EC's it's not possible to re-convert it or to transact it. Just to use it.
- While the price of Factoids can be very volatile (which we see on the exchanges) the price for EC's can be (is) stable. The price for FCT's will never have negative impact on the demand.

And, what's also ingenious: The value of Factoids will reflect the use of the system. The more it's used, the more Factoids will be converted into EC's --> out of the system (kind of "burned"). So it will be possible to calculate something I call the "base-price" which is needed for a stable supply. If the price would drop below, more Factoids would be consumed than new created. If it goes above, more Factoids will be created than consumed. Speculation will have a great effect (it already has), but it's very likely that the price will always find a base where the number of consumed FCT's will be equal to the 73k new Factoids each month.

At the moment the price reflects speculation, it says something what people believe if they think about future potential of Factom. But there are also some interesting points:

1. It's really mostly speculation (or betting) and it's visible in the Polo-trollboy (just for example) that many did not make enough research to come to own conclusions. I can't say that my conclusions are correct because there is nothing without risks. But I believe that Factom is the project with the biggest potential right now (I think it's potential is bigger than ETH, because I believe to see a lot of risks in ETH while it's already near to 1 billion marketcap - personal opinion of course) and I believe that more and more ppl will learn about Factom and come to similar conclusions.

2. The price-rise of the last 3 months, since Mid-December, is a price correction. Factom was totally undervalued since the ICO and the first months on Poloniex. With other words: If more people would have understood how good this project is to that time, more people would have bought into the ICO. The total supply would be higher which would mean that it would have started with a higher market-cap at lower prices for each Factoid right from it's first day on an exchange. That can be called an opportunity.

And while the price has increased a lot, many people believe it's overbought now. But kind of funny is: The high volume builds strong support. While the total supply is just 8,7 Mio it just needs some days to trade that volume and a lot of profit-takers have already sold. Some not of course but that are obviously strong hands and in for longterm. The dumping was mainly margin trading. I don't believe in the chinese-theory. I know that there were problems and there may have been some arbitrage but I saw the interest rates and that 90% of all loans were demanded. But, it's not even important. Important is it's general potential and in my opinion that's like Bitcoin in 2011.

Ok, someone asked for an unbiased review of what Factom is and what is its potential. Here it is, I agree with every word. Good stuff.

zirt

Activity: 296

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:59:54 AM

Hi
Please who can help so I don t loose my factoids?
I want to buy some factoids for long term investments (I know it is risky investment)
So I installed it on my OSX

So I have launched factomd , then fctwallet , then I created adress with "factom-cli generateaddress fct blah" then I see my adresses when I do "factom-cli balances"

So now do I have just to go beta.shapeshift.io/beta/#/coins and send coins in 1 of the adresses I own , that's it?

Then maybe I backup / passwd something I guess then I can sleep?

Thanks!
whiteorg72

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 12:35:39 PM

Hi
Please who can help so I don t loose my factoids?
I want to buy some factoids for long term investments (I know it is risky investment)
So I installed it on my OSX

So I have launched factomd , then fctwallet , then I created adress with "factom-cli generateaddress fct blah" then I see my adresses when I do "factom-cli balances"

So now do I have just to go beta.shapeshift.io/beta/#/coins and send coins in 1 of the adresses I own , that's it?

Then maybe I backup / passwd something I guess then I can sleep?

Thanks!

For long-term storage factoids use only paper wallet (FactoidPapermill).
Instructions here - "How To Use FactoidPapermill" - http://factom.org/howto#collapse-1-5
zirt

Activity: 296

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

Ok, thanks, so I saved the private key (most of the key in the computer and the rest on a paper), and my address, and that it. I don t have any client anything... ok... Thanks.
thoth-Atlantian

Activity: 924

I AM

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 01:22:51 PM

Ok, thanks, so I saved the private key (most of the key in the computer and the rest on a paper), and my address, and that it. I don t have any client anything... ok... Thanks.

it's all pretty simple once you get hang of it. heaps easier than banking!! Smiley

Shit if it's under a few K just leave it on exchange and set 2fa

www.dlsag.ch      1ex.trade
BadGhost

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:10:12 PM

Factoids:

Ok, someone asked for an unbiased review of what Factom is and what is its potential. Here it is, I agree with every word. Good stuff.

Thanks for the answer it was enlightenment. One last question. I already understand the factom system, I understand the factoids. But why would I want to own Factoms (like coins)? Other than investment, it has the same use as bitcoin ie trading, means of value, investment? Factoms are now around 2 dollars, but what are they? An asset, coin? Do they have any special use?
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 05:34:34 PM

Factoids:

Thanks for the answer it was enlightenment. One last question. I already understand the factom system, I understand the factoids. But why would I want to own Factoms (like coins)? Other than investment, it has the same use as bitcoin ie trading, means of value, investment? Factoms are now around 2 dollars, but what are they? An asset, coin? Do they have any special use?

I just see that I've made a few mistakes in my post (besides grammar because english is not my language ;-)  )

Especially this sentence needs a "not":

Important is: "Factom does not store the data itself (it's possible I believe but not necessarily the sense)"

There are more, but, howsoever...

Regarding your question:

I see 3 different usecases:

- Payment for Server in a decentralized system
- "Currency" to buy Entry Credits
- Investment (in best case store of value)

There is no special use besides the first two points as a system-currency and without speculation there wouldn't be any difference for those who use Factom and the system itself. But the Investment-aspect is very interesting because differently to a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, Factoids will be kind of backed. Bitcoin's value is it's function and the trust we have in it. Factoids will be backed through the use of the system, because of FCT-consumption. Differently to Bitcoin the base-value (if we subtract speculation) will be calculable and in some way more objectively.

customer73

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 08:05:50 PM

Looking to get in now, but hard to tell if it's going to fall or go all Etherium and push silly prices.....
Bad comparision probably   - Ethereum is a plattform including custom programming languages, which is more work/less likely to see competitors soon. - Factom is to connect proofs of files and their dates with the (bitcoin-)blockchain indirectly / more efficiently than simply proofofexistence.com and is researching for customers/scenarios that may need many such proofs commercially - yet there are 3 or 4 competitors working on technology for comparable purposes
Which are other competitors?

No pain, no gain.
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 470 »
  Print  

Jump to: