Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:59:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is.  (Read 73336 times)
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 02:32:35 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2012, 03:08:56 PM by Vandroiy

Yes, it is pretty obvious Pirate sold, and it's almost certain he's now "short".

The timing of the sell was good, however, the execution was excessively flashy. Why cause a downspike to 7.5, down to which we already have 25k BTC liquidity again? Sentiment is nowhere near a panic. I don't have an explanation why he should do this, regardless of legitimacy.

Then again, market movements around Pirate rarely make sense to me. No big news in the end. Huh
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 09:34:46 AM

It appears to me Pirate has lost his bet with Vandroiy now.

"New Rates Effective 8.20.2012":
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0

But the "bet agreement" says:

BTCST has the right to change the terms of its outstanding deposits at any time, as long as there is advance notice of at least 30 calendar days.

AFAIK he did not announce these new rates on 7.21.2012 or earlier.

I just noticed this yesterday.

That means he changed the rates within less than 30 days after anouncing them. Which is a clear violation of the "bet agreement".

cjgames.com
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 09:50:20 AM

BTCST has the right to change the terms of its outstanding deposits at any time, as long as there is advance notice of at least 30 calendar days.

That means he changed the rates within less than 30 days after anouncing them. Which is a clear violation of the "bet agreement".

Hey Vandroiy, I understand you'll be coming into a large amount of btc shortly. I have an investment opportunity you may be interested in ...

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 09:53:05 AM

That means he changed the rates within less than 30 days after announcing them. Which is a clear violation of the "bet agreement".

Whoops!

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:54:26 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2012, 01:58:57 PM by elux

===Change in BTCST ToS===

Yep, well, this bet ended even quicker than I had expected.

Nanotube is the final arbiter, but this seems like a clear cut win to Vandroiy, according to Pirate's own terms.

If Pirate cares, (and wants to) could he salvage the bet for now
by retracting the previous announcement, and issuing a new one with proper 30 day notice,
before the lower rates are put into effect?

If not: Congrats to Vandroiy on his 5000 BTC (64000 USD) winnings!

Does anyone want to make a statement? Van, nano, pirate? Smiley
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:56:44 AM

It is almost like it was planned:

• Don’t concede the wager and chance the outcome of Aug 14th.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 10:03:22 AM

Ah! There it is. I knew that was a plea to let him out of the bet before he lost it.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 10:22:45 AM

Nanotube is the final arbiter, but this seems like a clear cut win to Vandroiy, according to Pirate's own terms.

by retracting the previous announcement, and issuing a new one with proper 30 day notice,
before the lower rates before the lower rates are put into effect?

Vandroiy won the bet because pirate changed the terms it doesnt matter if he changes them back.

bigbox

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:25:55 AM

Since the terms are not scheduled to change until the 20th, it means the terms haven't changed yet. Vandroiy only wins if Pirate actually executes the changes with fewer than 30 days notice. Pirate can still maintain the bet by moving the change 30 days into the future.
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:52:48 AM

Agreed, as long as its not put into effect pirate has another 10 days left to avoid a cut in his profit margins by 5000 BTC....

Wasn´t  it right that  he wanted to avoid by changing terms?? Wink
coin_toss

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:58:53 AM

before the lower rates before the lower rates are put into effect?

Vandroiy won the bet because pirate changed the terms it doesnt matter if he changes them back.

I'm afraid you are mistaken. Pirate will lose the bet only if he changes the terms without the required notice - not if he announces a future change of terms without the required notice. The new terms do not come into effect until 8.20.2012 - therefore the terms have not yet changed. If the terms were in effect now, pirate's depositors would already be receiving the lower rate of interest, which clearly they are not.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:07:07 PM

Ah! There it is. I knew that was a plea to let him out of the bet before he lost it.

That doesn't make any sense though, at that time pirate had the opportunity to announce the changes. Why wait?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:21:43 PM

In BTCST ToS, it says the rates can be changed at any times. Pirate didn't change his ToS.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 12:26:19 PM

In BTCST ToS, it says the rates can be changed at any times. Pirate didn't change his ToS.

The bet says the rates not the TOS. If the rates change with less than 30 days notice he loses.

I guess we wait to see when the rates actually change before calling it.

vampire

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:28:53 PM

The bet says the rates not the TOS. If the rates change with less than 30 days notice he loses.

I guess we wait to see when the rates actually change before calling it.

It says ToS. It's all about interpretation, it is confusing.

If pirate changed ToS 30 days ago: I can change rates at any time. Does it override the bet? Looks like to me.

BTCST has the right to change the terms of its outstanding deposits at any time, as long as there is advance notice of at least 30 calendar days. Such changes may include changes in promised interest rates (as long as interest rates do not go below zero), changes in interest disbursement frequency (not to exceed 1 month intervals), interest tiers, forced withdrawals. Such changes shall not be construed to be a default event.

The event of dissolution of the BTCST business and return of all owed funds to all account holders, also shall not be construed as a default event.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:31:47 PM

Somehow I wonder if this is what pirate does for entertainment.  Funer than craps.  Get an argument ready then gamble on what the outcome would be.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:12:52 PM

Agreed, as long as its not put into effect pirate has another 10 days left to avoid a cut in his profit margins by 5000 BTC....

It doesn't cut into his profit. Why should the pirate even think about a bet he intended to lose all along?
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 03:24:42 PM

It doesn't cut into his profit. Why should the pirate even think about a bet he intended to lose all along?

How do you know what pirate's intentions are/were?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:53:37 PM

Because they are so obvious.

They may not be obvious to someone who believes he can get rich by handing over his money to some anonymous guy who promises 3,300% interest, but they are obvious to me and to you. We just have opposite intentions. I would like to see you serve a jail term in the cell next to pirateat40.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 03:54:44 PM

Because they are so obvious.

They may not be obvious to someone who believes he can get rich by handing over his money to some anonymous guy who promises 3,300% interest, but they are obvious to me and to you. We just have opposite intentions. I would like to see you serve a jail term in the cell next to pirateat40.

lulz

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: