Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:32:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin v. Bitcoin  (Read 43657 times)
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:17:23 PM

Dogecoin v Everything. Bitcoin wins.

bitcoin does not win everything. The only reason Bitcoin is on top is because it has been around since 2009 and so much news and people beginning to adopt it and use. In time their will be another coin that takes over BTC due to many factors from security services and features that BTC does not provide compared to a lot of alt coins. So far BTC has been good but theirs plenty of other alts out their that will soon over take BTC. One to keep an eye on is Burstcoin and also Doge. Doge is good but again has its moments the same as Burst does and I find that burst is way under priced and is gradually creping up the ladder on the market cap website.
How could Doge ever replace Bitcoin? Isn't it just a scrypt coin clone that been struggling so much it was added as a sidecoin to litecoin?

Might well be a clone however some clones work well but indeed it does struggle at times but it holds its value and does not dip down much maybe a few satoshi here and their but not as much as BTC spikes.
But how would it replace Bitcoin? I don't seen any of that being in relation to how it would top BTC.

Well for a coin to top BTC can happen. Look at all the other alt coins, some only been around for a few months and soon die out. Ones that have been around for maybe 6 to 8 months like ripple in 2nd place and it will soon pass BTC if it continue to grow like it has done. It only takes 1 alt coin with something different that people like compared with bitcoin to knock it out its place for it to lead. LTC I generally do not think it will pass BTC any time because of its services and publicity is compared to a lot of others. If LTC had as much publicity as BTC and was accepted as widely as BTC then it might get back into 2nd place but again I don't see that happening any time soon.

I could see LTC making a strong comeback if Andreas' prediction of Bitcoin being accepted into the mainstream within 2 years. There will need to be a necessary secondary major coin with a lower valuation for the small, everyday purchases (cup of coffee, for example). None of the other coins seem to hold a candle to LTC to take that secondary position. They key being, Bitcoin must be first be widely adopted and accepted in everyday society before a secondary coin can assume the position of being silver to Bitcoin's gold.  

Would be nice to see something like this happen. BTC for larger payments and indeed LTC for smaller payments such as coffee, pizza and low cost items. Would work pretty well that being BTC being the big daddy and LTC as the little brother of it but still LTC need to get their acts together and get some updates and more features or services added or it will go  the same faith as a lot of alts go.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:27:39 PM

From sig "The price of any commodity tends to gravitate toward the production cost.  Satoshi N. "

Sorry, a little off topic, but did  Satoshi really say that? Everything else I see from him has been clear-thinking and concise, but this gets things backwards. It's not that the price of the commodity gravitates towards the (current) production cost so much as the reverse, at least in the case of a commodity like bitcoin. If it costs $200 to produce a bitcoin that sells for $300, then rational investors will buy up more mining equipment to earn that profit. But more miners means divvying up the (fixed rate of supply) bitcoins more, leading to increased production costs per bitcoin.

In principle this would continue until it cost as much to produce a bitcoin as it sold for, accounting for all costs (electricity, personnel, etc.), on average. Of course with the volatility of BTC and the time lag involved in ordering and setting up miners, the relationship has been very loose. But over the long haul it should hold true.

yes

Excellent analysis, xc.

A rational market price for something that is expected to increase in value will already reflect the present value of the expected future increases.  In your head, you do a probability estimate balancing the odds that it keeps increasing.

In the absence of a market to establish the price, NewLibertyStandard's estimate based on production cost is a good guess and a helpful service (thanks).  The price of any commodity tends to gravitate toward the production cost.  If the price is below cost, then production slows down.  If the price is above cost, profit can be made by generating and selling more.  At the same time, the increased production would increase the difficulty, pushing the cost of generating towards the price.

In later years, when new coin generation is a small percentage of the existing supply, market price will dictate the cost of production more than the other way around.

At the moment, generation effort is rapidly increasing, suggesting people are estimating the present value to be higher than the current cost of production.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57.msg415#msg415

Ah, OK. And I see that, in context, he's making the same point I did.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:37:52 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 07:29:05 PM by manfred

I could see LTC making a strong comeback if Andreas' prediction of Bitcoin being accepted into the mainstream within 2 years. There will need to be a necessary secondary major coin with a lower valuation for the small, everyday  purchases (cup of coffee, for example). None of the other coins seem to hold a candle to LTC to take that secondary position. They key being, Bitcoin must be first be widely adopted and accepted in everyday society before a secondary coin can assume the position of being silver to Bitcoin's gold.  

The problem is there are already other alts that have wallets that allow you to instantly convert and spend anywhere that accepts btc that have more development and features than litecoin and are PoS so don't have the mining overhead. Litecoin will need to compete with these and future bitcoin sidechains. Litecoin has already lost #2 spot and will likely fall more without further development and adoption.
It is debatable here is a screen-shot from 3 March 2014

crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:54:23 PM

I could see LTC making a strong comeback if Andreas' prediction of Bitcoin being accepted into the mainstream within 2 years. There will need to be a necessary secondary major coin with a lower valuation for the small, everyday  purchases (cup of coffee, for example). None of the other coins seem to hold a candle to LTC to take that secondary position. They key being, Bitcoin must be first be widely adopted and accepted in everyday society before a secondary coin can assume the position of being silver to Bitcoin's gold.  

The problem is there are already other alts that have wallets that allow you to instantly convert and spend anywhere that accepts btc that have more development and features than litecoin and are PoS so don't have the mining overhead. Litecoin will need to compete with these and future bitcoin sidechains. Litecoin has already lost #2 spot and will likely fall more without further development and adoption.
It is debatable here is a screen-shot from 3 March 2014

also with a scamy $ 100 000 000 instant rise with falling price in August its pure magic only a centralized company manages ($40,373,290.506 to $140,373,290.506)

Yeah I seen that from their and also some other massive spikes in prices and then dumped on but LTC went up a shocking price and then soon went poof all the way back down again. No doubt it will continue to go down in the ranking unless things get more active and they have more than 3 devs working on the coin.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Btcvilla

Activity: 1078
Merit: 270

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 11:14:22 PM

If you want to use Litecoin, do not use it, use Dogecoin and you will be much happier.
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 11:21:02 PM

Anyone supporting Litecoin is 100% a old bagholder. I can't materialize how someone could support a coin that is a straight up clone of Bitcoin. Litecoin can't support micro-transactions(so things like tipping is out of the question), it doesn't have anonymity, and it doesn't have a bitpay like processor for instant transactions. So, it's useless...

Litecoin is past its days and had its moment when it spiked in price didn't last long and went and tumbled down. Indeed it is a clone but could of had so much changed to be a lot better. Guess it will eventually die out because not enough work not enough services and not many people adopting it other than like you said old bag holders of it. I use to have a lot of LTC until it when up in price sold out been tempted to buy back in a few times but I doubt I will do so due to no developments

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 12:49:39 AM

ripple in 2nd place and it will soon pass BTC if it continue to grow like it has done.

Ha. haha. hahahahahaha.

Back when Ripple was unveiled with a large promo campaign, it soon rose to the point where it's market cap (as I pointed out above) was more than Bitcoin's. Where is it now? I can't be bothered to calculate it. But since my report of merely yesterday, Bitcoin's market cap -- as a percentage of all of crypto's market cap -- has inched up from 84.8% to 86.6%*.

Let us not forget that Ripple's 'market cap' includes that insanely huge 'premine'. Lessee... Ripple going from over 100% of Bitcoin's market cap to well under 10% of Bitcoin's market cap -- including premine.

Nope - your Ripple is on a negative trend. Sorry.

coinmarketcap.com now:
total crypto: $4,388,677,522
Bitcoin: $3,803,128,051
3803/4389~=0.866

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 12:57:39 AM

I could see LTC making a strong comeback if Andreas' prediction of Bitcoin being accepted into the mainstream within 2 years. There will need to be a necessary secondary major coin with a lower valuation for the small, everyday purchases (cup of coffee, for example). 

Again I laugh. There may be a case for an alt. But certainly not one that is Bitcoin + tweaks. If Bitcoin will not work for pocket change, Litecoin certainly ain't up to the task.

If you need faster confirmation (an 'if' that I don't agree with, but let's use it for argument's sake), two and a half minutes plus variance is still too damn slow.

If you need more transactions per second, LTC fails the same criteria.

If you need smaller bandwith consumption or disk consumption, oh yeah, no better.

The _only_ conceivable scenario where Litecoin may be viewed as a differentiator from Bitcoin is if an exploit is found for SHA256.

As if.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:28:30 AM

I could see LTC making a strong comeback if Andreas' prediction of Bitcoin being accepted into the mainstream within 2 years. There will need to be a necessary secondary major coin with a lower valuation for the small, everyday purchases (cup of coffee, for example). 

Again I laugh. There may be a case for an alt. But certainly not one that is Bitcoin + tweaks. If Bitcoin will not work for pocket change, Litecoin certainly ain't up to the task.

If you need faster confirmation (an 'if' that I don't agree with, but let's use it for argument's sake), two and a half minutes plus variance is still too damn slow.

If you need more transactions per second, LTC fails the same criteria.

If you need smaller bandwith consumption or disk consumption, oh yeah, no better.

The _only_ conceivable scenario where Litecoin may be viewed as a differentiator from Bitcoin is if an exploit is found for SHA256.

As if.

weather or not ripple is premine or not and negative it shows tha ti can be done and lead ahead of it but to be honest even with ripple in 2nd i doubt will last given how it is what it is and does not offer as much as BTC does just hyip among cryptos.  who knows maybe some day a coin will indeed knock out BTC in 1st place bt will take some doing to do so.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:24:49 AM

ripple in 2nd place and it will soon pass BTC if it continue to grow like it has done.

Ha. haha. hahahahahaha.

Back when Ripple was unveiled with a large promo campaign, it soon rose to the point where it's market cap (as I pointed out above) was more than Bitcoin's. Where is it now? I can't be bothered to calculate it. But since my report of merely yesterday, Bitcoin's market cap -- as a percentage of all of crypto's market cap -- has inched up from 84.8% to 86.6%*.

Let us not forget that Ripple's 'market cap' includes that insanely huge 'premine'. Lessee... Ripple going from over 100% of Bitcoin's market cap to well under 10% of Bitcoin's market cap -- including premine.

coinmarketcap.com now:
3803/4389~=0.866

Speaking of Ripple they had a pretty hard day yesterday with the price crashing. It's picking up a little today it seems.

Sarahiko

Activity: 772
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:29:38 AM

Ripple is being played by the bug holders in a couples of days now but its picking up again and about litecoin and bitcoin it has been decided long time which is the best coin to mine.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 11:52:25 AM

Talk about ripple, I don't understand what's the mechanism that controls the price movement. At any time, if let's say the price is increasing, does that mean there's a demand for the coin? Likewise when it is going down. As long as it's centralized, or centrally issued for that matter and being closed source, well, that pretty much the question of trust over here.

crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:29:01 PM

Ha. haha. hahahahahaha.

coinmarketcap.com now:
3803/4389~=0.866

Speaking of Ripple they had a pretty hard day yesterday with the price crashing. It's picking up a little today it seems.

Its good to play profit swing with buy low sell high wait for eave and ride it again and again. I enjoy a little crash and rise on markets gives me more to buy and sell and trade up and make profit on the top of it while continuing to build my reserves of BTC for the future.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:30:59 AM

From sig "The price of any commodity tends to gravitate toward the production cost.  Satoshi N. "

Sorry, a little off topic, but did  Satoshi really say that? Everything else I see from him has been clear-thinking and concise, but this gets things backwards. It's not that the price of the commodity gravitates towards the (current) production cost so much as the reverse, at least in the case of a commodity like bitcoin. If it costs $200 to produce a bitcoin that sells for $300, then rational investors will buy up more mining equipment to earn that profit. But more miners means divvying up the (fixed rate of supply) bitcoins more, leading to increased production costs per bitcoin.

In principle this would continue until it cost as much to produce a bitcoin as it sold for, accounting for all costs (electricity, personnel, etc.), on average. Of course with the volatility of BTC and the time lag involved in ordering and setting up miners, the relationship has been very loose. But over the long haul it should hold true.

yes

Excellent analysis, xc.

A rational market price for something that is expected to increase in value will already reflect the present value of the expected future increases.  In your head, you do a probability estimate balancing the odds that it keeps increasing.

In the absence of a market to establish the price, NewLibertyStandard's estimate based on production cost is a good guess and a helpful service (thanks).  The price of any commodity tends to gravitate toward the production cost.  If the price is below cost, then production slows down.  If the price is above cost, profit can be made by generating and selling more.  At the same time, the increased production would increase the difficulty, pushing the cost of generating towards the price.

In later years, when new coin generation is a small percentage of the existing supply, market price will dictate the cost of production more than the other way around.

At the moment, generation effort is rapidly increasing, suggesting people are estimating the present value to be higher than the current cost of production.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57.msg415#msg415

thanks that actually explains alot i'd always hated that quote, and now I see put in context its more accurate.
Berau

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:50:06 AM

I am so confused.

What is better?  Which one do you guys recommend more?

Thank you for your time

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to buying drugs, or a more stable coin, bitcoin is your best bet.

If you just love litecoins, then litecoins is for you.

It all depends on your personal preferences.
caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:29:22 AM

I am so confused.

What is better?  Which one do you guys recommend more?

Thank you for your time

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to buying drugs, or a more stable coin, bitcoin is your best bet.

If you just love litecoins, then litecoins is for you.

It all depends on your personal preferences.

ACutally those things make no difference. As far as litecoins go ,the only advantage they have is that they have faster confirmation time.
And in the rest of the things, it is just like bitcoin,

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 07:18:59 AM

You have to ask that question? I've never heard of Litecointalk.org...Bitcoin is better. Litecoin is a cute copycat that either uses some variation of the technology or was created so people could have a second attempt at "getting in early".

Think of Litecoin is to Bitcoin as silver is to gold.

Good question!

muhrohmat

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:32:16 AM

yes possum577 you are right btc its 10x better than ltc not just in price but in mining and market trading theres much more a lot of sites that do bitcoin and litecoin does not even have agood forum like this

fox19891989

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:42:57 AM

Of course is bitcoin. bitcoin is the prototype of crypto currency, which is the KING.   Grin

Don't invest in LTC, LTC is centralized, ASIC manufacturer "Gridseed" has over 50% hash power. I won't buy a single ltc unless it is worth 0.001btc, so I will buy 10k ltc.  Grin

Ltc is just a copy of btc, its 5 minutes confirmation time is also slow, if you wanna invest altcoins, I recommend you buy dash or doge. dash has 3.5 seconds confirmation time, doge has 60 seconds, all faster than LTC, and they both have better potential in the future.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 11:43:30 AM

Bitcoin = Gold - Litecoin = Silver.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: