Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:31:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin v. Bitcoin  (Read 43657 times)
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 09:31:55 AM

I think the main requisite whether a coin becomes a successful or otherwise still lies in the community backing. I certainly don't see that with litecoin expect for a few die-hard supporters. Whereas for bitcoin, it's definitely solid community support all the way till the end. And what's best is the support coming from the early adopters who are still around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:14:03 AM

Bitcoin is main cryptocurrency and far ahead of any other alt and Litecoin is dying slow painfull death. You cant compare those two.
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:56:45 PM

Bitcoin is main cryptocurrency and far ahead of any other alt and Litecoin is dying slow painfull death. You cant compare those two.

Exactly mate.. I dont see any comparison between BTC n LTC..BTC is far ahead..some altcoins might have some better features..but on the whole i think BTC is much better.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:03:39 PM

I used to mine litecoin but now see it as completely irrelevant with the advent of Scrypt ASICs. 2.5 min confirmation times is pointless as anything "confirming" slower than 1-2 seconds in a store is useless. Litecoin needs make some bold moves to reinvent itself to remain relevant.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:10:34 PM

This is like the shittiest thing I have read

1: value scales
2: Bitcoin has falled from 1000 to 200

Check the charts and you can see that Litecoins current status is more dire than you allude to -
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/litecoin/#charts

Litecoin has fallen over 60% in addition to bitcoins decline in the last year.

They totally both have their advantages instead of off the chain transactions for micro transactions being suggest it should be a dual coin system, a full ledger but micro just gets pushed to Litecoin which is quicker for confirms but has less time for error adjustment.

The problem with this is that there will be bitcoin sidechains with TaPoS layers supporting instant and micro transactions in the future that will have the benefit of pegging to the BTC blockchain and better security with more sophisticated algos. Additionally, you are ignoring inter-channel payments like http://impulse.is , Bitcoin has many tricks to implement rather than simply forcing everything to off the chain transactions.

Litecoin is dead in the water right now with development, merchant acceptance, venture capital, popularity growth , and user acceptance.

Ashwell John

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:25:07 PM

I like Bitcoin most. I think everybody will agree with me.

koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:03:32 PM

Depends on what aspect you're  looking for but in all aspects bitcoin is better
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:05:43 PM

Bitcoin is gold, Litecoin is silver. Simple  Smiley

+1 litecoin is a great little brother to bitcoin.  Never rule out litecoin, look what its done in the past.
M83

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:06:58 PM

I don't see how Litecoin is better in any way. It's just a clone of bitcoin with a few tweaks but not necessarily 'better' tweaks in my opinion.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 02:15:45 AM

While I'm a Bitcoin bull and have little use for litecoin in general, I still believe it has speculative powers that get summoned during Bitcoin's big rallies. I keep (bought recently) a small single digit % of my overall holdings in litecoin for precisely the aforementioned reason. Seemed like a good thing to do when Bitcoin began consolidating in a more solid way. I certainly wouldn't go all in or even close to it because there's no guarantees.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:32:14 AM

I don't see how Litecoin is better in any way. It's just a clone of bitcoin with a few tweaks but not necessarily 'better' tweaks in my opinion.

That's what i said
Read again please
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 02:05:37 PM

I never owned any LTC, simply because it's still difficult to buy stuff with Bitcoin, not to mention its younger brother. LTC may succeed alongside BTC, but it will need more time and will always have less support.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:56:09 PM

I am so confused.

What is better?  Which one do you guys recommend more?

Thank you for your time

well, when you have some bitcoin you should also have some Litecoin. first is gold and the other is like Silver (people say that). normally litecoin follows his big brother bitcoin in the price  Smiley

but Litecoin is alot more volatile and speculative than bitcoin. so maybe 70 % BTC and 30 % LTC , or 80/20.

stay with these two and dont invest in more than that. dont invest in pre-minded scam-coins which "promise a return" or something like that. there are alot of scams (like paycoin).

https://litecointalk.org/

I've only ever invested in Bitcoin. Do you recommend adding some litecoin?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:58:50 PM

I am so confused.

Thank you for your time

well, when you have some bitcoin you should also have some Litecoin. first is gold and the other is like Silver (people say that). normally litecoin follows his big brother bitcoin in the price  Smiley

but Litecoin is alot more volatile and speculative than bitcoin. so maybe 70 % BTC and 30 % LTC , or 80/20.

stay with these two and dont invest in more than that. dont invest in pre-minded scam-coins which "promise a return" or something like that. there are alot of scams (like paycoin).

You're asking someone named Litecoinguy?
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:15:33 AM

Well he should know!

I thought I'd go buy some litecoin right now. I'm not seeing an easy way to do so other than exchanges. No Circle or Coinbase.
That might be a start to improve the price of the coin. Or if there is something, tell me and I'll buy some!
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:14:01 PM

There's a surprising amount of hate directed at litecoin, even for a bitcoin forum. Its not true that there is no potential advantage to litecoin. Here are some things I can think of. I'm sure some of these points are contestable but it is worth being open minded.

* It confirms 4 times faster.

* It allows one to diversify one's cryptocurrency holdings without going into the lunatic fringe of the more obscure alt-coins.

* As the price of litecoin has fallen some value has crept in. The community and infrastructure surrounding litecoin may not be great but its not nothing either.

* Litecoin transactions sound reasonable. 1 coin for 1 sandwhich, not 0.01 coins for a sandwhich.

* The litecoin community is less stratified into haves and have nots. It wasn't pre-mined in the same way as a lot of alts and doesn't seem to have as many as the same early adopter whales (many such people will frankly have been wiped out).

* Under-development can mean opportunity. Ask investors in China. There are opportunities in litecoin which have already been taken in bitcoin.

* Its not true that nobody is starting to accept litecoin:

http://www.coindesk.com/remax-london-accepts-bitcoin-litecoin-dogecoin-pilot-program/

In all I agree that the endless deluge of alts has hurt the quest for an alternative money system but I don't get the hate towards litecoin. You do want some diversity.

A good analogy is GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux has way too many distributions. This variety in distributions (and increasingly in display servers, and graphical interfaces), divides development resources, makes it harder to package for all distributions and confuses consumers. In short, it hurts GNU/Linux, yet linux people won't stop forking projects and creating unnecessary new ones. Some of these distros are maintained by about one person. Distro watch lists 100 distros. Do we really need "SliTaz GNU/Linux". Not really is my opinion.

I think GNU/Linux should consolidate for its own sake and for the sake of the cause of free software. But I do not think that there should be only one option for GNU/Linux. Why should there be? A little choice and competition never hurt anybody.

WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:18:59 PM

I am so confused.

Thank you for your time

Its a great hedge if bitcoin starts going up, people look around for whats number 2 and considering ripple sucks they pick litecoin.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:47:39 PM

I personally would not consider any other altcoin to be even remotely safe to use and would never consider doing as much

There are some startups like GetGems where the token uses the Bitcoin blockchain so it's as safe as Bitcoin.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 01:58:40 PM

i swear most if not all of the bitcoin is the best crowd there is no need for litecoin or other alts, simply must not ever use bitcoin themselves  Huh

i didn't just wake up one morning say hey I missed the btc boat i might go this litecoin, i didn't miss the bitcoin boat, i've just from the start found it a dog of a thing to use.

i started using litecoin because for my main crypto purpose ie trading; litecoin is simply the best crypto to use as your reserve, it has the consistent liquidity over all the other alts, and you can move it around so so much more easily then bitcoin., adding to that from the start with bitcoin there's been many an unusable core client.

litecoins going to be trading with decent liquidity long into the future because us traders are going to keep using it, most the anti litecoin FUD crowd are bitcoin hoarders or simply the 'there can only be one' alt crowd pushing their $20 worth of scamcoin

......so really they have little influence over the market.....despite plaguing the forum mindlessly with their bitcoin is best or litecoins not innovative FUD

traders rock  Grin
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 02:14:46 PM

Litecoin is to Bitcoin what IP over Avian Carriers is to TCP/IP/HTTP

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: