Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:17:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin v. Bitcoin  (Read 43657 times)
BIT-Sharon

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:56:41 AM

Both of them
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:40:34 AM

It's a mix of different fundamentals that makes a good coin.
Sure, everyone has their bias in here. It's bitcoin main section afterall. In this section of the forum it's 'bitcoin or death' like always. Never would the majority here admit to the fact that the blockchain now is almost 40GB and will be much larger in the future. Litecoin becomes a very good alternative once the bitcoin blockchain becomes inconvenient (spare me the comments about light clients, we all know it's not the same). Also costs per transaction are lower and it's faster. The only reason why bitcoin is still leading the market is because people are slow to migrate.

Of course some hardcore bitcoiners' will now make it their mission to trashtalk litecoin on this thread. It's about investors money afterall and that's how it goes around here.

When litecoin becomes popular, its block chain will also bloat.
dhimasnk

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 11:30:37 AM

of course you must to choose Bitcoin. Bitcoin is a coin that is very sturdy and well bitcoin has more community and also much known to the public.

BUY LOW/SELL HIGH
24/7 TRADING BOT  GUNBOT  THE AUTOMATIC PROFIT GENERATOR FOR POLONIEX
LIMITED EDITION NOW AVAILABLE FOR KRAKEN AND BITTREX  My bitcoin address: 37xyZGoqmkeTTatsWcnFJS4iL4xdE4Cuia + wex.nz codes at Peermarketer@gmail.com
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 12:38:24 PM

of course you must to choose Bitcoin. Bitcoin is a coin that is very sturdy and well bitcoin has more community and also much known to the public.

That is actually one of the most important things. It doesn't come down to the fine differences between BTC or LTC, it's the mere fact that BTC is far well known and has a larger base of people actually using it in some way. It simply has the first-mover advantage, which is the biggest advantage you can have in this game.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 01:34:24 PM

And litecoin is easily the 2nd most known to the public unless you are counting that ripple crap but even then litecoin probably wins.  Obviously doesnt beat the network effect of bitcoin.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 01:47:01 PM

I recommend litecoin more because it's faster and cheaper and also better distributed and with smaller blockchain.
There are lots of coins more fast and cheaper than litcoin, is that means these coin better than litcoin /bitcoin? The answer is absolutely not.

It's a mix of different fundamentals that makes a good coin.
Sure, everyone has their bias in here. It's bitcoin main section afterall. In this section of the forum it's 'bitcoin or death' like always. Never would the majority here admit to the fact that the blockchain now is almost 40GB and will be much larger in the future. Litecoin becomes a very good alternative once the bitcoin blockchain becomes inconvenient (spare me the comments about light clients, we all know it's not the same). Also costs per transaction are lower and it's faster. The only reason why bitcoin is still leading the market is because people are slow to migrate.

Of course some hardcore bitcoiners' will now make it their mission to trashtalk litecoin on this thread. It's about investors money afterall and that's how it goes around here.

So what?  You can buy a 64 gb USB 3.0 flash drive for $25

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-64GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00FDUHDAC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1430315138&sr=1-2&keywords=64gb+usb+drives

Back in 2003, I bought a 128 mb flash drive for $180.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 01:47:54 PM

Appropriate for this thread:

Who "settles" for 2nd place anyways?  If you can get gold, you go for gold.  If my wife at the time got a silver engagement ring, I'd probably still be single.

No reason to settle, just get the goods.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
FreeJack2k

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 09:27:24 PM

Who "settles" for 2nd place anyways?  If you can get gold, you go for gold.  If my wife at the time got a silver engagement ring, I'd probably still be single.

Considering that Bitcoin is currently well below the pre-November 2013 bubble starting price, which is when a lot of people became aware of it (and crypto), I'm not sure the "missed the boat" argument holds any weight anymore. People buying Litecoin at $1.35 technically "missed the boat" by not being around to buy it for pennies. The insinuation, of course, is that there couldn't be any GOOD reason to choose Litecoin over Bitcoin...when in fact, there are several. Satoshi's stash not remotely being the least of them.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 09:38:42 PM

Litecoin became the #2 coin because of how it was developed and the niche that is served in the early days. It was created by the already established Bitcoin community with the idea that eventually Bitcoin would hit huge $ values, and people would be hesitant to send someone 0.00050102 for a cup of coffee, so why not create a tandem currency designed to be lower valued for smaller transactions? Not to mention, BFL's Jalapenos were set to release shortly after Litecoin came onto the scene, so all of the Bitcoin miners that were panicking about their expensive GPU farms becoming obsolete had financial reason to support Litecoin. (Due to BFL being BFL it was another 8 months before anything came out)

There was a point when a very large portion of the Bitcoin forums/Bitcoin users in general supported Litecoin, because of what I stated before. They weren't in competition so no ill will was held. After the Alt Coin shitstorm where every coin in existance jumped in price following the Bitcoin take off, people realized it was profitable to pump, dump, and scam with coins meant to manipulate people and then fall into obscurity after their Bitcoins were parted from them. This yielded more Bitcoin purists and the community we see today.

There was a time when creating a crypto currency was a feat. Now there are generators that produce them for you, the thrill and support for alt coins is now mostly held by the dumpers.
tampazeus

Activity: 924

Lick me like a lolipop

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 10:40:28 PM

Anyone here choosing LTC over BTC are mentally retarded. BTC is king while LTC is just a joker.
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:06:04 AM

Litecoin became the #2 coin because of how it was developed and the niche that is served in the early days. It was created by the already established Bitcoin community with the idea that eventually Bitcoin would hit huge $ values, and people would be hesitant to send someone 0.00050102 for a cup of coffee, so why not create a tandem currency designed to be lower valued for smaller transactions? Not to mention, BFL's Jalapenos were set to release shortly after Litecoin came onto the scene, so all of the Bitcoin miners that were panicking about their expensive GPU farms becoming obsolete had financial reason to support Litecoin. (Due to BFL being BFL it was another 8 months before anything came out)

There was a point when a very large portion of the Bitcoin forums/Bitcoin users in general supported Litecoin, because of what I stated before. They weren't in competition so no ill will was held. After the Alt Coin shitstorm where every coin in existance jumped in price following the Bitcoin take off, people realized it was profitable to pump, dump, and scam with coins meant to manipulate people and then fall into obscurity after their Bitcoins were parted from them. This yielded more Bitcoin purists and the community we see today.

There was a time when creating a crypto currency was a feat. Now there are generators that produce them for you, the thrill and support for alt coins is now mostly held by the dumpers.

It's pretty simple, as the gap between mining coins with CPU power (couple KH/s), mining them with the GPU (10s-100s MH/s), FPGAs, and even ASICs began to widen, people realized that it might make sense to create another PoW algorithm that was ASIC resistant at that time and tweak the block times and reward schedule. Also, it allowed them to take part in the early mining days of that new coin.

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 01:51:57 AM

Who "settles" for 2nd place anyways?  If you can get gold, you go for gold.  If my wife at the time got a silver engagement ring, I'd probably still be single.

Considering that Bitcoin is currently well below the pre-November 2013 bubble starting price, which is when a lot of people became aware of it (and crypto), I'm not sure the "missed the boat" argument holds any weight anymore. People buying Litecoin at $1.35 technically "missed the boat" by not being around to buy it for pennies. The insinuation, of course, is that there couldn't be any GOOD reason to choose Litecoin over Bitcoin...when in fact, there are several. Satoshi's stash not remotely being the least of them.

This is prime time to get into Bitcoin, it's cheap to buy and mining difficulty is fairly stable if not decreasing.
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 03:23:58 AM

You've described my experience. My first contact with Bitcoin while seeking to obtain some was CaVirtex. Litecoin was the other coin on the exchange. I did some reading on Litecoin and thought yeah, there's room for another crypto, one to handle small purchases. Then I found this forum, inquisitively made my way to the altcoin section and saw what was happening in the alt scene. I'm cynical by nature, so it didn't take much to turn me off of it.

Disclaimer: I'm not anti-Bitcoin, despite my chosen username. Just a bit of self-deprecation. Tongue

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 05:08:24 AM

Whats going on in this thread Smiley

PS I should have posted this last night but looks like charlie beat me to it.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 05:57:11 AM

Litecoin, just as Tenebrix before it, marketed its scrypt hashing as being GPU resistant.  It was more than half a year before GPU mining arrived for these altcoins.  While it is true that, in late 2011, some GPU miners were worried about the future potential of Bitcoin ASICs, they were certainly not looking to Litecoin for a solution.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 07:13:23 AM

in the past it all used to be about the miners, what the miners supported would win, but thats all changing its getting more and more about the market, even a non mineable coin can survive.

truth be told the future will be even further from the miner, even the core dev will tell you themselves that POW was only ever designed to be a short term solution.

dadach2

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 08:20:54 AM

If my wife at the time got a silver engagement ring, I'd probably still be single.

man i feel sorry for you Cheesy
rio3232

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 11:30:08 AM

What is better?  Which one do you guys recommend more?

Bitcoin is better than Litecoin. I recommend Bitcoin. Because from the price itself bitcoin still have best value than litecoin. And many service and Signature Campaign only use Bitcoin than litecoin.
Euthanasiaa

Activity: 134

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:14:24 PM

Bitcoin ofcourse Smiley
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 12:14:44 PM

in the past it all used to be about the miners, what the miners supported would win, but thats all changing its getting more and more about the market, even a non mineable coin can survive.

truth be told the future will be even further from the miner, even the core dev will tell you themselves that POW was only ever designed to be a short term solution.

But what do you think will be used instead of PoW? Another algorithm, another type of proof? PoS maybe? Thing is... if we want decentralized cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, we need them to work the way Bitcoin does, the market can't possibly take over the core principles.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: